The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Quirks, Enigma's, Inconsistencies in the Game ?

MrFourex

MrFourex

I've seen that as well....and it fits perfectly in with the theme of this thread in regards to inconsistency.

My opinion is, it would be easy for the team wanting the scrum the fastest to just have any 6 players (whoever is standing closest to the mark) to form a scrum, they then have time off blown and then break, for the players to disperse and have the real pack form the scrum and everybody else goes back to their usual positions.

Something not right about that.......

Therefore I agree with the attacking (fast scrum wanting side) to have to stay formed and down, ready to pack.

Like everything else, the referees have to be consistent with their rulings.

As already mentioned, the fast tap/penalty is the most variable call going round right now. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

No problem with allowing them to stand if the opposition is wasting time, but don't allow them to change, which is how it is I believe. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I'm ok with them having to stay in the formation they are in...but if the opposition can't get over and form their scrum within a set timeframe after that then they should be penalised.
The waiting team shouldn't have to stand in their pack for sometimes up to a minute while the other team has a drink.
If one team can form in 5 seconds, then the other team can certainly form in 10 to avoid a penalty. 
woodies

woodies

Big one for mine is the late penalties after a played stays down injured and then there is a look at the video.

The player that cops a high or other shot and just plays the ball, gets no video review and thus no penalty. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Hmmm....yes, the video.

Who dictates what is actually replayed?

I'm sure there was a game on the week end where something (might have been a high shot) happened in a tackle and the players were waiting for the replay to come up......and it never did.

So, play on.

Can't come down to CH9 ....surely? 
saints

saints

I often wonder what happens to the penalties as the game goes on. We get the nit-pickers early - then none in the second half. We get time off late in the game but not in the first half.

Penalties can decide a game and some Refs don't seem to understand that. All I ask is for consistencies and that they use their brain. If you tackle someone and they kick and wriggle and crawl forward - it is hard to get off sometimes. Especially if they have hold of your jersey !!!

Why not - when you hear the call - "he's locked him in" - ie the tackled player is holding the tackler down - why don't they penalise the offender ? I'll bet it stops.

Instead of calling our "Billy - you're off-side" - just penalise Billy. His coach will soon hook Billy if he does it again.

We now have players saying they didn't hear the Ref give them the "obligatory" warning .... what ????????????? 
sretsoor

sretsoor

The impact penalties have on the game today, consideration should be given that minor penalties only reset tackle count. Penalties where player is on report can be kick for touch. 
saints

saints

Good idea. Offside - just 6 to go. 
Tera

Tera

There's plenty of times I've seen players catch the ball on the full in the in goal from long, down field kicks but have no call from the refs and get tackled on the 10 - 15 metre line.

Kinda irks me. 
Morkel

Morkel

Unless you're talking about kick-offs, I've never seen it. 
Tera

Tera

There was even a try towards the end of last year (can't remember specifics - But i'll keep a look out for examples this round), where the player caught it in the in-goal - ran it out and lost it in the tackle turning it over and causing a try. It went to the video ref but the player catching it in the in-goal wasn't even mentioned. 
Morkel

Morkel

Can I please have some of your drugs? I know there's often cases where it's iffy (can't tell exactly if they were in the in-goal or not) but normally it's discussed by the commentary and normally an attacking kick. Never, ever seen one from a long kick (~35 metres +) where it's caught in-goal and no one's realised. 
MrChook

MrChook

I can only recall iffy ones where they've leapt from the field play and landed in goal. On the rare occasion they get it wrong but thats always going to happen. I dont recall any instance where a player has caught one in goal, not realised, took off and got tackled 10m out. 
Tera

Tera

Oh well sorry Morkel, if you've never seen it it must never, ever happen.

Another is when a defending player picks the ball up in their in goal, slips/falls/whatever and in the process grounds the ball but then plays on. If the ball's been grounded it's been grounded. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

Or during the conversions. 
Morkel

Morkel

Sounds fair to me :) I just mean I can't relate to what you're saying as I've never seen it happen - and I'm a nit-picker. 
saints

saints

I think "grounding" can be an issue. They'll argue both ways.

I'd like to see dribble kicks in goal be brought back to the 20 as well as those caught on the full.

I'm getting a bit sick of the 5th tackle kick - every bloody time. 
BringbackBRL

BringbackBRL

I'm not sure when but there was an instance of this happening. 
kbw

kbw

why do referees warn players about being offside. Then penalise them on the 2nd or 3rd occassion (and its not because of advantage)

Basically why are the supposed "best" referees in the game, so inconsistent and referee 2 sides differently in a game. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I think they do it to save the game from having 50 penalties each time.
They just call a player out saying "you're offside" telling them not to get involved in the play.
I don't mind it if it keeps the penalty count down. I'd rather the ref not have to tell the players how to pack in a scrum instead of that. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Shouldn't the player be smart enough to know if they repeatedly infringe penalties will occur ,) 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Sure the player should know...the ref's just giving them a bit of warning.
If they get involved then it will be a penalty. Not much to be lost by having the ref call a player's name out to make sure he won't have to give away a penalty. 
saints

saints

I use to love the days when the penalty count actually meant something ... :) 
Dogga

Dogga

Whenever the non-feeding team pushes they blow it up.

Also why doesn't the feeding team just hold the ball in, everytime they do this (about twice I can remember) they get a penalty as the defending team break early 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Players are continually off side or not square at marker, they must know that, so it's more a case of the ref saying he's seen them this time. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168