The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013/14 NRL Player Movements and Rumours

SonicStar

SonicStar

Bulldogs chasing Sonny Bill as per Danny Wilder and he said Lachlan Coote might be cut from Penrith early and sign with Roosters to replace Mini 
kit

kit

Russell Fairfax was on Fox Sports today hinting very strongly that SBW will be at the Roosters next year. For what that's worth. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Yeah looked like he had strong mail. 
annav3

annav3

Broncos Re-Sign Two Big Names
Trad McLean
Bronco Media

24/02/2012 6:36:24 PM

THE NRMA Insurance Broncos will use tonight's season launch to announce the signing of both http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display-nrl&id=1332&player=peter-wallace&team=Broncos Peter Wallace and http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display-nrl&id=1349&player=corey-norman&team=Broncos Corey Norman .
The pair have agreed to extend their contracts with the Broncos, with Wallace committing to a new two-year deal that will take him through to the 2014 season.
Norman is signed until the end of 2013.
It is a timely announcement as the Broncos hold their corporate season launch at AUDI Centre Brisbane tonight.
It also demonstrates stability among the team as the Broncos prepare for next Friday's season opener against the Eels at Parramatta.
Wallace, who was the subject of big-money interest from Sydney clubs, said he had always wanted to stay in Brisbane.
"I was really happy to agree to terms and it is great to be here for another two years," he told Bronco TV.
"I have really found a home here and have enjoyed my time here.
"I am really happy to be here for at least another couple of years.
"The club itself is in a good place for the future."
Wallace, 26, debuted for the Broncos in 2008 and has since played 92 NRL matches for the Broncos.
The Penrith junior played four Origin games for NSW in 2008 and 2009.
Norman made his debut for the Broncos in the first round of 2010.
The recently-turned 21-year-old has played 20 first grade games to date, and is expected to replace the great Darren lockyer at number six for the Broncos when the season begins next week.

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=47761&title=broncos-re-sign-two-big-names 
annav3

annav3

[U]Phil Gould @gusgould91[/U]

I can confirm 100% that neither Lachlan Coote nor his management have ever requested a release from his contract with the Panthers

Furthermore, I can 100% confirm no other NRL club has ever contacted Panthers regarding Lachlan Coot 
SonicStar

SonicStar

jumps for joy :D
So didn't want Wallace 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Can he 100% confirm the Panthers haven't asked Coote to move on if he wants? 
annav3

annav3

somebody must be tipping off Weidler...player manager? 
SonicStar

SonicStar

It usually is the managers. 
annav3

annav3

Coach challenges Roosters NRL veteran duo

Sydney Roosters coach Brian Smith assured veteran stars Anthony Minichiello and Braith Anasta on Friday if they deliver results on the field, they'll be rewarded with new NRL contracts.
Smith said both were very much in the club's plans but, as the oldest two players at the Roosters, they would have to prove their worth.
"Reality says that at this point in time in their careers, they've got to show us that they've still got what it takes to cut the mustard at the top level," Smith said.
"And I think you'd be foolish if you backed them out but we still need to see it."
Minichiello admitted he would find it difficult to play against the Roosters - the only team he's represented in the NRL since debuting in 2000 - but floated the idea of finishing his career overseas if a new deal at Bondi was not forthcoming.
"There's no doubt that I'll be playing on," said Minichiello, who turns 32 in May.
"... To be honest, I can't see myself pulling on another jersey in the NRL.
"That's just me. I've been loyal to the Roosters my whole career.
"I'm letting my manager sort out a few things overseas just to have a look at what is going on.
"I've always negotiated with the Roosters solely throughout my whole career and, as you get to be a senior player, you like to keep your options open and see what's out there.
"But I've been loyal to the club and the club's been loyal to me throughout the years as well so that won't change."
Smith indicated the club would find a place for Minichiello beyond 2012 if he backed up with a season as productive as last year - when he made a return to the State of Origin arena with two games for NSW.
"He's not been told that he's not required here next year. In fact, if he plays again like he did in 2011, I'm pretty sure he will be here," Smith said before adding the club would not stand in his way if a better offer surfaced.
"He's got opportunities in other places and the Roosters will respect that if it comes out that that's the best thing for him to do," he said.
"Our club wouldn't stand in his way but personally I'm just hoping that he can put another great season together and that he can maximise his opportunities."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8425024 
craigcooper

craigcooper

They must really rate him to sign him for that long. Don't they have any half descent halves coming through the grades. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

He signed a two year deal (not a three) and their other halves prospects are inexperienced 
craigcooper

craigcooper

But it is still 3 seasons if you count this one that hasn't started yet. Broncos usually have good young talent coming through. I just thought they may have some young gun coming through this year or next. I don't really rate him myself, but that's just my opinion. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

You need to rate Wallace at least a little to understand the signing...

They'll be expecting Corey Norman and Ben Hunt to compete for Lockyer's position but I think getting rid of Wallace not only puts unnecessary pressure on them it kills their halves depth. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

In the short term absolutely, but within 3 years, I would have thought they would have someone much better coming through. 3 seasons is a long time to sign an average half. 
Maroon4life

Maroon4life

I agree with this and muppet, broncos are stuck between a rock and a hard place, seems like a signing of 'the devil you know'. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Wallace is a better player than what most are willing to give credit to but anyway...What were they supposed to do?

Don't offer him a contract and you're putting huge pressure on the young halves, even if one of them might have a year under their belt.

Offer him a one year contract he would've returned to Sydney.

Offer a three or more year contract you run the risk of having him there too long.

Two years seems like a fair compromise for all parties involved. 
popeye

popeye

Yes, it seems to me that Wallace deserves a shot without the shadow of Lockyer hanging over him.
Hard to dismiss a player before he gets a do or die chance to prove himself. Being a caretaker playmaker
was all he really had to consider before 
craigcooper

craigcooper

I can understand that. Good halves are hard to come by. It's just the Broncos always seem to bring through great young guns ready to make the step up. I really rate there junior development 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Agree entirely , this season will show us truly what Wallace is made of. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Agree with both completely. Been saying for a while that I'm reserving my opinion on Wallace until he's a had a pre-season without the "Shadow of Lockyer". I remember when we first brought him and Lockyer was injured. He did a great job of steering the ship in Lockyer's absense. 
brendanalderson

brendanalderson

And as a result made his Origin debut. He's never been quite the same since he ruptured his nut but I have to say I'm not overly dissapointed that they have resigned him. 
annav3

annav3

Melbourne Storm halfback Cooper Cronk set to stay at the club

COOPER Cronk is set to stay at the Melbourne Storm with Brisbane Broncos dropping out of the race to sign him and South Sydney Rabbitohs going cold on the star No 7.
The most talked about player coming off-contract this season, Cronk has been heavily linked to both clubs but it appears likely he will stay with the Storm.
The Broncos this week announced the re-signing of Peter Wallace while it is understood the Rabbitohs have dropped off the Kangaroos playmaker.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson gave little a way when contacted last night.
"That is of little concern to us," Richardson said. "And I have no comment when it comes to recruitment."
Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi said negotiations with Cronk were on track but denied any major developments.
"We are happy with where it is all at," said Ponissi. "We had discussions earlier in the week but we are no close to a decision. I am not sure what Souths are doing but it would be nice if they weren't pursuing him."
Despite speculation, the Broncos were never genuinely interested in recruiting Cronk from Melbourne. They closed the door on any move earlier this week when they re-signed former NSW No 7 Peter Wallace. "He was always going to re-sign with the club," said Wallace's manager Alan Gainey. "That was never in doubt.
"The club always made it clear that it was their intention to sign him, it was a matter of finding the money and space under the cap."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/melbourne-storm-halfback-cooper-cronk-set-to-stay-at-the-club/story-e6frexnr-1226281519789?from=public_rss 
SonicStar

SonicStar

I think Cronk out priced himself out of the market, same Nate Myles did when he was asking for over 450k 
grobbo73

grobbo73

Muppet, there is a kid coming through that the club that they rate highly as a half but he is only 17 atm but you may see him in NYC this season. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168