The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013 season crowd numbers

knitey

knitey

I haven't been there since the early 90's, it was a wet miserable day and the field was a quigmire, a miserable day all round except the Knights managed to jag the 2 pts. 
MrChook

MrChook

Never been there for an NRL game. Played 1 game there when I was a kid though. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

that is my experience also. AFter my experience I call it the worst NRL venue :lol: 
andrewt

andrewt

Actually I have to correct you there Mr Chook but the record Crowd at Leichhardt Oblong is 23000+ set during the 1981 Tooth Cup final, ironically between Souths and Cronulla. This is also the record crowd between these two teams. 
knitey

knitey

Rd 3

Storm v Bulldogs..............11,923.

W/Tigers v Eels................18,326.

Titans v Sea Eagles..........13,136.

Roosters v Broncos.........13,047.

Sharks v Warriors...........

Panthers v Rabbitohs......

Raiders v Dragons.........

Knights v Cowboys....... 
knitey

knitey

Not bad for a Thur night in Melbourne, it would be hard to expect many Doggies fans would have flown down, ridiculous scheduling to have this game on a Thur night, Sat or Sun arvo would have seen at 20k IMO. 
king_couttsy

king_couttsy

Made worse by the fact that the other Grand Final rematch is during Origin, when the stars will be out (so to speak).

No Smith, Slater, Cronk. No Barba (you'd think), no Morris, maybe no Reynolds, maybe no Tolman... 
andrewt

andrewt

11 923 for the Grand Final replay isn't a good look for the game no matter what factors you want to bring in.

I fid it sad that the game in Victoria just flounders and doesn't seem to grow at all.

Melbourne have been witghout question the best team in the NRL since 2006 but still can't attract decent crowds to their home games. My Def of a decent crowd for the best team in the comp would be min 20K 
annav3

annav3

any crowd figure under 15K is a dissappointment. We need to aim for higher standards and not accept mediocrity. The game has a lot of work to do to get people watching live matches. 
slip

slip

The people of Melbourne just haven't taken to the Storm like the people of Sydney eventually took to the Swans. Maybe 20-30 years from now, Melbourne will have a large supporter base. 
knitey

knitey

Rd 3

Sharks v Warriors...........

Panthers v Rabbitohs......

Knights v Cowboys....... 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Titans and Sea Eagles is not bad for two NSW teams playing interstate. 
yourhero

yourhero

For a number of years there have been numerous other teams with lower average crowd attendance than Melbourne. 
knitey

knitey

Rd 3

Sharks v Warriors...........12,183.

Panthers v Rabbitohs......12,940.

Knights v Cowboys....... 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Manly, Penrith, Roosters and Cronulla usually have low crowds tho its not like these games are the matches between the big crowd pullers.

Melbourne are top of the table and last years premiers.

Are you saying 12K is a great crowd for such a team 
knitey

knitey

Rd 3

Raiders v Dragons.........12,115.

Knights v Cowboys.........15,758.

TOTAL RD 3..............109,428. 
yourhero

yourhero

Absolutely not, it's a rubbish crowd. EVERY NRL club should average well above this.

Opinions are regularly skewed here pending if the club/player under discussion is liked by the poster.

Just this round alone there is FIVE other games with almost the same low figure.

So Melbourne should be expected to get 20K to every home game according to Les... Did Manly achieve that last year when they were reigning Premiers? No... They averaged 14K.

As I said earlier, there are a number of clubs that have home attendance averages lower than the Storm. For this round in particular, we are talking about a Thursday night game with a kickoff time after 8pm... Harsh. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I am an equal opportunist.

off the top of my head Penrith, Cronulla, Manly, Roosters, Canberra and Melbourne are on the lower side of things as far as crowd figures go. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

Grand final replay vs an inter-state game with absolutely no rivalry at 4:30pm in the afternoon. 
silverygibbon

silverygibbon

Rather than slagging off a Thursday night attendance, if I were you I'd be more concerned closer to home.
On a sunny Sunday afternoon in the 'heartland of League'. Pathetic. 
MrChook

MrChook

Dont let facts get in the way of a good sook. 
andrewt

andrewt

Calm down, no one's slagging off anybody in fact if you read what I wrote I said sad. The Storm are the only team in Melbourne Victoria and get smaller crowds than the two soccer teams down there, not sure how they fare against the Super Rugby team. So as a League fan It's disappointing.

As for yesterdays crowd out at Penrith do you have any idea how far Penrith is away the city? The heat was insane yet Souths fans made up a good portion of the crowd and that's in a city where there are 9 teams.

Combined total for the 4 games in Sydney 56496 that's an average of 14124 
annav3

annav3

it was way too hot yesterday, I am prepared to give those crowd numbers the benefit of the doubt. But I do think NRL fans seem to accept mediocrity or come up with excuses.

Crowd figures under 15K is a failure. 
knitey

knitey

[INDENT] Rd 3

Raiders v Dragons.........12,115.

Knights v Cowboys.........15,758.

TOTAL RD 3..............109,428.
[/INDENT] 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

You are a paranoid twit. Maybe I should use a sarcasm icon for the brain dead.

There was a thread on here a while ago where it was said that Queenslanders considered Titans a NSW side. Get a grip sonny.

I doubt you will find many post from me on crowd numbers.

Of course an apology will be forthcoming. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168