The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

the old Public Service League

mudnblood

mudnblood

Just for something totally different, I'm wondering what memories (good or bad) people have of the old PS League.

For me, it was watching the old man play his last game of footy for the City Council Bulls in the 1975 grand final, and they beat Main Roads 10-9 in a bloodbath. firies beating the coppers in 1984 was a good rough-house game as well.

Someone mentioned in another thread they remembered Firies beating Tax on the bell in 1992, but I'm pretty positive it was 1993. Anyone got a program ?

Mines boys holding out council by a point in '86 was a high quality game with a big crowd.

Great days - sunday mornings - Kalinga Park - big games where theyd put up the yellow council tape to keep people back. Patrons Cup, Presidents Cup and Finals where there were literally thousands of spectators. BRL first graders playing for teams under bodgy names .... Joe Kilroy was a regular !!! I remember games being played at Davies Park, Neumann Oval and at Hamilton as well. Such a good comp before the sh!t started and the refs walked.

I know it started in 1958, but when did it finish. I know it reached 1993 but cant remember after that.

Here's a list of teams I remember that played in all grades over the years.
Anyone got any others they can think of?

BCC Bulls
Main Roads
Firefighters
Police
Taxation
Suncorp (and as SGIO)
Qld Newspapers
Normanby
Natives
Credit Union Australia
HPI
Kedron Park
Commonwealth Club
Dept Primary Industries
Mines
Dept of Works
Supply
Qld Housing
Railway Audit
Surveys
Public Service Board
Dept of Transport
Stamps
Repatriation
Dept of Health
Irrigation
API
Public Curator
Northern Command
Dept of Education 
XXXXCap

XXXXCap

Stamps were the arch rivals in the early 70's when my brother was playing for Railways.

They had a rep side as well that played NSW at the SCG around then. 
Wingnut1

Wingnut1

I will ask a few of the oldies at work(fire). I do hear them talking about the old footy days a bit. 
mudnblood

mudnblood

Thought of a couple more - Dept Mapping & Surveying, and Gulumba (anyone now who that was?) 
sevens

sevens

I remember Sleepy Kleinhans(killed you if he could get you)?Watson Norths maroi hooker(played Council for years)Chris Anderson(firies..left Wests for more money...used to give you the night shift...so you could have 2 jobs:lol: )Dennis and Brett Ferguson(stamps curators)Rod cook (main roads for years)just some names come to mind.

Game of footy in the morning(normally hung over)...team lunch BBQ ,plenty of steak and xxxx...then off to Bashup for a top up...great days 
Knucklebones

Knucklebones

The Council side certainly brings back some memories. I ran around (fairly unsuccessfully) with them in the early 70s at Kalinga Park with a mate Mick McLean, no not the S of O player, who was one of their unsung heroes. Glen Strathearn ex Norths was the coach and the Police side was a fearsome experience. The only one I can remember was a big forward called Charlie Dellow (?) who I think had a run for the Magpies at one stage. They certainly didn't shirk the physical aspect of the game. Peter Ney, the CEO of Norths a few years ago was tied up with the Council side. I'm pretty sure there was a Qld Public Service side selected at that time to play the Mexicans.

Sunday after games it was back to the Kiwi Club across the road from where the Domayne Centre is now in the Valley. Upstairs in a small hall with a large keg and some thirsty boys. Good time and a little less emphasis on the drink driving enforcement that is on today. 
oz_bat

oz_bat

i reffed a great gf in public service - will see if i can find the year - still dont know if the fg from 45 out went over or not..... 
sevens

sevens

You were supposed to be a bone fide public servant but a heap played under assumed names,although everyone knew it.I remember one year they stopped one bloke playing semis(nicknamed whale for obvious reasons) for Curators but missed the other 6 LOL 
Fisherman1

Fisherman1

Played with Camp Hill Hotel side in the public service comp in the mid eighties 
sevens

sevens

In the 70s you were supposed to be a public servant....the rules were changed....I assume because of numbers. 
IMASHADOW

IMASHADOW

Sloopy (not Sleepy) nicked named after the song " Hang On Sloopy" because he would never pass the ball. 
mudnblood

mudnblood

Joe Kilroy turned out for Surveys one day and scored 5 tries in the first half ..... 15-0 at half time .... kicking was optional .... then he took off to head to Lang Park for Norths ..... yep, you guessed it .... Surveys got dusted 30-20 by full time !!! 
fang98

fang98

Firies beat Tax in 1993 in the Grand Final. Gulumba was an Indigenous Team played around the late 80's early 90's. The Public Service League ended around 1996. A big reason for its ending as a comp lies with jim soorley who refused to allow a further lease to the Public Service League and the Rebel Softball side at Kalinga Park. Today the field and the dressing sheds remain as they have for the last 15 years un-used and wasted. 
sevens

sevens

Anyone play in the church league.....played saturdays at Kalinga in the 70s...there was a natives side in it....had a few runs for the Wilston catholics but we called ourselves the Wilston Wankas....funny thing we were all presbyterian:lol: 
mudnblood

mudnblood

Had a few runs with Wynnum Baptists, and filled in one day for GOYA. Those that know me will realise that I kinda stood out .... lol 
GOOCH

GOOCH

Hi Fang98 and Mudnblod,
That's right Firies beat Tax in 1993.
I played for The Public Trust that year and we were the only team to keep the Firies scoreless for that year.we got beat by Tax in President's Cup and than lost by one point to Main Roads in the semi-finals and missing out making the GF. said.
Does any one have pictures of some of the games for that year? 
Roadrunners

Roadrunners

A Great comp. Games at Kalinga Park and Neumann Oval. I played for Qld Housing (Roadrunners) late 60's early 70's - won 2 premierships B & C Grade. We had a great coach in Peter Watson ex Newtown (Sydney) player. BRL players like Bob Dellow, Len Dittmar, John Smith, Steve Fahey and John Deliforce to name a few. Tough games with a great social aspect. Plenty to talk about on Monday morning in the workplace. 
grandad

grandad

I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange 
grandad

grandad

I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange 
grandad

grandad

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181