The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

What was going on with this touchy call??

earleyedition

earleyedition

Three steps out, touch judge calls him in.... What was he looking at?!?

Yes, from the Easts Tigers and Souths Logan Magpies game on Saturday.

Video here... and the commentators http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/video-the-worst-and-funniest-decision-ever-made-by-a-rugby-league-official/story-fniabjcr-1226708905919

XXXXCap

XXXXCap

That's in keeping with that bloke's usual work. No surprise to me.

How he got a gig in last year's Grand Final is beyond belief.

Allseeingeye

Allseeingeye

At age 66 I have been able to tape most of the rugby league matches that have been televised - sadly many of the old VHS copies of the early days are so badly degraded as to no longer be watchable. But a few years ago a few friends and I decided to sit down and watch as many matches as we could in the time we had available - it was of course off season and we only watched when the weather was no good for fishing. As an added interest one of the group nominated watching for bad calls from the sideline and on field officials, after watching hundreds of tapes we were stunned at the number of "bad" calls that could be attributed to the wrong team actually winning the match. A stat that was equally disturbing was that since the introduction of the extra on field official the bad calls increased instead of decreasing. So what gives? Then, recently, we were interested to see Geoff Toovey fined $10,000 for being upset enough to make a comment on TV about the way bad calls were causing teams to lose matches, followed by the 7 tackle try that saw the Cowboys season ended and the comments by J. Thurston about it being a "conspiracy" because of the way the State of Origin games had gone to Qld for so long. Funny thing is the accusation by Thurston and various other people in Qld. did not attract a fine even though it alluded to actual cheating by the on field officials and collusion between them and the NRL to prevent a Qld. team from making the grand final. Toovey fined, Thurston not fined for a far worse accusation - go figure!
Another stat that was interesting was that a certain on field official was prone to making calls that indeed gave the Broncos an easy march to victory in many matches - and his bias carried over into the SoO matches. Mr. Toovey is right, someone needs to take a more pro-active approach to see the touchies and the on field officials do not make match destroying mistakes, I know I have walked away from the box when it has been obvious the ref. is either blind or biased. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Still not sold on the idea of a draft. What about expansion? Or relocating potentially two Sydney teams elsewhere?
ALX21 - Grand FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
ALX21 - Interesting team named. I guess Josiah Cox missed out due to not having a passport???
sportsrugby - Live New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming TV info, video, score, highlights, preview, result.Watch NZ Al...
sportsrugby - Live New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming TV info, video, score, highlights, preview, result.Watch NZ Al...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181