The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Valleys Diehards Heritage Project!

DIEHARD

DIEHARD

Hi Rugby League supporters

As some of you may already be aware a Diehards Heriate Project has been set up to collect and protect as much VFC history as possible and present it to the word via the http://www.ValleysDiehards.com website.

It has been a year in the making and was launched at the last Valleys Reunion last month.

I've made this thread so updates on the latest news and content can be posted.

Have a look and enjoy!

Good old Valleys forever! 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

Story of 1910 posted today. http://www.valleysdiehards.com/?p=451 CLICK HERE TO READ 
harrofam

harrofam

How and where did they find those old 1910 team photo's DIEHARD? 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

Dont know the specific story about the photos. From Gerry's massive archive. 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

The goal is to get it all online for all to enjoy. Also reach a new generation of Rugby League fans who I believe would be interested in VFC, BRL and Brisbane history.

I have scanned all the Diehard Digests and made it so people can search for words through these magazines. http://www.valleysdiehards.com/?page_id=85 The rest will be uploaded one at a time in the near future.

The idea is to produce articles on topics but also provide stacks of source material so people can explore themselves. 
Watnow

Watnow

Funny seeing Wally with a head full of hair 
harrofam

harrofam

It looks like you have the beginnings of a terrific site for the greatest rugby league club in history.:thumbs: 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

Thank you very much. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

It was funny when we met with Gerry on the project. He asked us how far we wanted to go with it, how much depth and material.

And I just shrugged and said "Unlimited". And he laughed and said he'd hold me to that and that I didnt know what I got myself into.

The result will hopefully be plenty of content for supporters of other BRL clubs as well. 
XXXXCap

XXXXCap

Diehard, this is fantastic stuff.

I have recently been bemoaning the lack of celebrated history of sport in Queensland. It's fabulous to see people doing this.

Doing a tour of the Adelaide Oval recently, I noticed a billboard size photo on the back of the Members' Stand, not of a cricketer, but a photo from a local Aussie Rules Grand Final played there in the 1940s. There was plenty of other "local sport" memorabilia in other sections there as well.

Suncorp (and the Gabba) has nothing like that. State of Origin plagues, a few statues and nothing else. You wouldn't know that Rugby League has been played in Brisbane for over a hundred years.

On a brighter note, I was loaned the books produced by the lady in Ipswich who Bernie Pramberg did a story on recently. The books cover the Bulimba Cup, all Ipswich Grand Finals and Ipswich games against touring teams. They are amazing in the detail provided, with old photos and Bulimba Cup statistics covering the three cities. Going to chase my own copies now.

Also picked up from a Queensland Times match report in it that my father must have had a shocker against Toowoomba in 1938. Might have overdone it the night before. ;) 
rwaite

rwaite

Great work with the archive so far guys. As discussed by email, let me know if you need any help with it. I am more than happy to do the graphic design to put a book together like the one I did on Souths history if you give me a narrative and photos for it.

Is it true that in the first year or two that Valleys nickname wasn't Valleys Diehards but Valleys Vampires? 
rwaite

rwaite

That's a great book on the Bulimba Cup. Unfortunately, as it is focused on Ipswich, it doesn't cover Brisbane v Toowoomba clashes. I would love to see it updated to include all teams in that competition. 
rwaite

rwaite

Thanks for the tip on the "Daily Mail" as an additional source for the early match reports along with the Brisbane Courier. There's been 2 or 3 semis and finals that have eluded me from that first decade of the competition. 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

Absolutely. We just place no value on our fantastic history up here and it is a disgrace. We need more of it and we need it now before it evapourates. I'd love to see a real deal QLD sports museum.

I think I may have Bernie Pramberg's book, but I havent read it yet. 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

I believe that may be true. I have heard Gerry mention it. Surely a story for the future there. 
XXXXCap

XXXXCap

It is not actually Bernie's book. A lady named Jan Christison wrote them. Bernie Pramberg did an article about her in his Saturday Courier Mail column a few months back. 
mudnblood

mudnblood

Yep Valley Vampires .... classic !!! 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

Decades and decades ahead of their time haha. 
rwaite

rwaite

I have access to a Multi-Function copier / scanner that scans A3. If you are unable to scan A3 stuff and you have A3 scans to be done (eg. RLW) let me know. 
harrofam

harrofam

Just had a look at http://brisbanerugbyleague.com/ Have you only just started this site.There doesn't seem to be much there.There's a link to log in but nowhere to join. 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

Nothing there yet just an empty site. All there is is the idea of doing something like a web portal for BRL projects. This would also promote independence but also unity. 
DIEHARD

DIEHARD

New Story.

The Gladiator Emblem - http://www.valleysdiehards.com/?p=471 
physicalgraffiti

physicalgraffiti

this is fantastic 
ThePartisan

ThePartisan

Great stuff Diehard. Happy to help if you ever have a research day etc. 
BigTommy

BigTommy

Good work. Well done.

Ask Gerry where he got the 1924 (?) premiership photo from. Tell him he still owes a Brothers boy for that one. 
ian.copper

ian.copper

What a great site. I was flipping through the 1973 Diehard Digest and couldn't help but think what a together and professional setup this club was. I'm also ready for any quiz that comes up anytime soon as I've studied some of the footy quiz questions - top tryscorer in the 1971 BRL season, you legend!!! 

Recent Rugby League Posts

DavidHatch - Was on last Sunday. Weir SS defeated Cairns West SS in Final. Not sure where Weir go next.
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168