Here we go again.....

http://cudgenleagues.com.au/?page_id=1703

The Cudgen Hornets have announced that their new Head Coach for the seasons of
2013/2014 will be former successful Qld Cup coach Troy McCarthy. McCarthy, who
successfully coached both the Tweed Heads Seagulls and Bilambil clubs has been
at Easts Brisbane for the past two seasons. Football Manager Graeme Lawrence
said, that there were a number of high quality applicants to choose from but
that it was Troy who ticketed all the right boxes. He has been extremely
successful at nurturing young talent and being able to develop the young players
into much more capable and confident individuals. The Cudgen Hornets have a
wonderful nursery of young talent for him to work with along with a core of very
good A Grade footballers who will be keen to improve on the team performance of
2012. It is an exciting time for the Cudgen Hornets. 
View all 53 comments
Jah14

Jah14

Whats so star studded about Tugun?

Burleigh form team without a doubt. Long years ahead for Cudgen, Bay and Tweed 
bigbear

bigbear

Will make a judgement about Burleigh after i have seen them play someone like Tugun or Bilambil 
Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Bears on pre-season form definitely a head in my books. Tugun has a star studded forward pack but judging from their performance on sunday, lacking fitness (they'll be there for sure when it counts). Bilambil impressive and I think will be a very tough prospect for any team. Tigers will take time to gel with mass exodus from last seasons "star studded" team. Good coach on board will ensure they will get better as season unfolds. The Currumbin battlers, showing some good signs with an emphatic win against Bay. Teams that will struggle; Cudgen, although they have a good coach, may not have the cattle. Tweed, may struggle with depth (just managing to field a reserve team in the weekend)..Runaway bay with the loss of Woodsy and some senior players may struggle to compete (only juding them in this weeks game and pre-season match I watched)....but hey, its only the first round :)...early days 
Jah14

Jah14

By Kevin Braysher

http://twitter.com/kevinbraysher

SOUTHPORT Tigers had to fight off a willing Tugun Seahawks on Saturday night to record a well earned 24-16 win at Owen Park.

The Bycroft Cup second round clash had a little bit of everything and plenty of feeling as two good sides produced an entertaining game of rugby league.

It was the Seahawks who opened the scoring in the fourth minute as a strong charge from prop and skipper Sam Rowlings gave Daniel Webb room to scoot over from dummy half.

Tigers fullback Drumayne Dayberg-Muir was the star on the night in attack as he scored two tries and had a hand in two more.

He was the one who threw the last pass for winger Hirini Robin’s try in the 13th minute and again combined with Robin and centre Tu Whakathi in the 34th minute to give the Tigers an 8-6 halftime lead.

When he crossed for his first try shortly after the break the home side had an eight-point lead and all of the momentum.

Tugun were reduced to 15 for much of the second half after losing fullback Izaeah Marsh and centre Guy Borgas and had their backs firmly against the wall, but they showed plenty of heart to claw back and hit the lead after back-to-back tries to Sam Rowlings and Bodie Clarke.

However that lead was short lived as Dayberg-Muir grabbed his second try of the night in the 63rd minute.

When James Usher crashed over a few minutes later the Tigers had a well earned match winning lead.

“It was just a good performance all around for us. We took a few more steps towards where we want to be,” Tigers coach Steve Dowd said.

“Our discipline was great ... and from a club point of view winning in all three grades was terrific. We were three from three in round one and we’ve backed it up to be three from three again.”

Dowd praised the performances of Dayberg-Muir, interchange hooker Luke Srama and prop Jared Blanke who carved out some huge metres in a standout performance.

In other second round Bycroft Cup results Cudgen bounced back from a disastrous round one performance to record a memorable 18-14 win over Currumbin, Bilambil continued their strong early form with an 18-10 win over Burleigh and Tweed Seagulls got their first win of the season in the form of a 34-10 win over Runaway Bay.

SOUTHPORT TIGERS 24 (D Dayberg-Muir 2, H Robin, T Whakatihi, J Usher tries C Chapman, J Golf goals) def TUGUN SEAHAWKS 16 (B Clarke, D Webb, S Rowlings tries K Te Kiri 2 goals) at Owen Park.

bigbear

bigbear

jah14 Burleigh have stumbled already and it is only round 2 plus they play Tugun at boyd st next week.After round 3 burleigh could be 1 from 3 if they lose to Tugun on the week end. 
Jah14

Jah14

Big bear. I wouldn't read too much into the loss to bilambil. Bilambil are a very good side and there will be little to split the top 4 sides this year (Tugun, Bilambil, Burleigh and Southport). Bilambil is a hostile environment to play in and they have a strangeling type defence. My tip is for Burleigh to bounce back this week. Will be a good match though. Southport have Bilambil the following week and it will be interesting to see the result there. Best team on the day will win whenever the top 4 meet this year. Tight comp! 
bigbear

bigbear

Watched southport play tugun saturday night both sides had willing forward packs but niether side offered much in the backs.No sign of Dumelow for tugun.Hodgo played for southport last season burleigh the season before and now playing for tugun.He has a couple of runs makes a couple of tackles which are either late or around the head then gives away the usual penalties he is known for.Walk away and retire hodgo 
Jah14

Jah14

haha Yea I play for Southport and played that game. Played with him last year. He's got the skills, without an ounce of discipline. 
Southpaw

Southpaw

Hollywood Bill in Charge of GF Rematch

By Kevin Braysher

ARGUABLY the most decorated rugby league referee of all time will add a Bycroft Cup grand final rematch to his resume this coming Sunday at Boyd Street, Tugun.

Bill Harrigan was the official in almost 400 NRL games during his 18-year career at the top including a record 10 grand finals and 21 origins.

On Sunday he encounters an entirely different beast when he blows the whistle for the Burleigh Bears vs Tugun Seahawks round three clash.

“Gold Coast Rugby League is honoured to have Bill referee what is a blue chip game for us,” Gold Coast-Tweed Rugby Leauge Operations Manager Tom Marzella said.

“That he is still staying involved shows a great commitment to the referees ranks and hopefully sets a bit of a precedent for ex or current NRL referees to come back to the grassroots leagues.”

Two traditional rivals playing off in a grand final rematch would draw a big crowd under normal circumstances, but the added intrigue of having the man who sent off Gorden Tallis in State of Origin I 2000 will surely bring even more spectators through the gates.

A polarising but undeniably influential figure, Harrigan joked in Tuesday’s Gold Coast Bulletin about the possible reception he will get.

“Come along and enjoy it because who knows, this may be the last time I ever blow a whistle in a game,” he told the Bulletin’s Terry Wilson.

“So those of you who may have missed giving it to me over the years, here’s your chance.”

“Why not pay your entry fee and give it to me again?”

While Bill is no doubt the wide reaching point of interest in this encounter, it is also a crucial clash for both sides.

Tugun are chasing their first win of the season while Burleigh needs to bounce back from a second round loss to Bilambil.

Bill will be the focal point of plenty of attention, but don’t expect the players to let any of that distract them in this important match up.

bigbear

bigbear

Lucky it is not a repeat of last years semi between tugun and bilambil which was played at boyd st.The referrees had to run to get off the field.The bilambil supporters started throwing things and abuseing them.It was not a good look at all.Rugby League at its worst. 
Jah14

Jah14

Both those clubs have got grubs for supporters and are generally grubbish on the paddock too so none of that surprises me but yea i did hear about it last year! 
bigbear

bigbear

Well i dont like to say ,but here we are after round 3 and burleigh are one from three.They had one win against cudgen who are now on 4 points and burleigh are on 2pts.Burleigh will be disjointed for most of the season having to deal with players coming and going from the Titans.No excuses just fact. 
Jah14

Jah14

true but burleigh takes time to get there combos together because its always a brand new side. I wouldn't read much into them losing by 2 and 8 points to tugun and bilambil respectively. Both sides are top 4. This competition i believe will still be decided between those top sides i.e. Burleigh, Tugun, Southport and Bilambil. Tweed/Cudgen/Currumbin to fight for 5th spot. 
bigbear

bigbear

Jah14 having lunch with a mate today who said have a listen to this. Hodgo was at burleigh on saturday with his old burleigh mates yelling and abusing wynnum while on sunday hodgo played for tugun against burleigh and got sent off for fighting.I think depending on who is playing hodgo likes to have a foot in each camp.You could be right about burleigh Agrade .Once Burleigh Qcup start to settle on a side that will give the Agrade a chance to field the same side for more than one week.I am sure Burleigh would be very competitive in Qcup and bycroft if they walked away from the Titans.It must cause a lot of disruptions for the coaches trying to plan for the up coming game. 
Jah14

Jah14

Ha! None of that suprises me.

Burleigh would definitely do better without a link to the Titans. Alot of people would think that it'd help and make you stronger. But i don't think you can substitute anything for combinations and the feeling you have in a team that doesn't change. It becomes more of a brotherhood that way. Thats what makes Bilambil so good. You know every time you play them they're playing for each other and not competing for spots with each other. 
Jah14

Jah14

Burleigh Bears v Currumbin Eagles @ Pizzey Park

The Bears first grade side jumped back into the winner’s circle this week with a 34-24 win over the Eagles. It wasn’t an entirely convincing performance but the Bears showed enough to prove that when they hit their straps they will be a force. Currumbin weren’t far off the pace but a ten minute lapse after the break cost them. In reserve grade and under 19s the Bears remain undefeated after a strong win in reserve grade and a Currumbin forfeit in 19s.

First grade:

BURLEIGH BEARS 34 (J Gardiner 2, J Grant 2, J Anderson, T Chadburn tries Dan Kerr 4, Danny Kerr goals) def CURRUMBIN EAGLES 24 (T Cassidy 2, J McCarthy, L Bryant, J Gill tries R Worboys, M Grundy goals)

Reserve grade:

Burleigh Bears 32 def Currumbin Eagles 14

U/19s:

Burleigh Bears 20 def Currumbin Eagles 0 (forfeit)

Bilambil Jets v Southport Tigers @ Bilambil Sports

They were the only unbeaten sides left in the competition going into round four and now the Tigers stand alone at the top of the ladder. In a terrific game of football the Tigers raced out to a 20-0 halftime lead only for the Jets to come storming back into the contest in the second. Ultimately the Tigers held on but the fast finishing Jets made them work really hard for it. Results were split in the lower grades with Southport winning reserve grade and Bilambil coming home with the points in 19s.

First grade:

SOUTHPORT TIGERS 20 (D Dayberg-Muir, H Robin, T Whakatihi tries T Cannard 3, C Chapman goals) def BILAMBIL JETS 14 (C Wishart, G Lanston, K Burton tries G Lanston goal) at Bilambil Sports.

Reserve grade:

Southport Tigers 28 def Bilambil Jets 18

U/19s:

Bilambil Jets 30 def Southport Tigers 16

Cudgen Hornets v Tweed Heads Seagulls @ Ned Byrne Oval

The Hornets were chasing three straight wins when they returned home to Ned Byrne Oval on Sunday but they couldn’t get the job done against the Seagulls. Tweed had the better of play in the first half and capitalised on the scoreboard. The Hornets fought back hard in the second half but couldn’t catch the Seagulls who posted their second straight win. Cudgen’s lower grade sides were both successful in winning their three straight.

First grade:

TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS J Toole 2, L Dumas, M Lloyd, S Saville tries C McDonald 2 goals M Burgess field goal) def CUDGEN HORNETS 16 (M Peterson, M Donnelly, M Gilbert tries J Sands 2 goals) at Ned Byrne Oval

Reserve grade:

Cudgen Hornets 25 def Tweed Heads 16

U/19s:

Cudgen Hornets 42 def Mudgeeraba Redbacks 16

Tugun Seahawks v Runaway Bay Seagulls @ Boyd Street

Runaway Bay are still chasing that elusive first win after going down in a high scoring game against Tugun. While the result and the number of points leaked won’t be pleasing for Bay supporters, the fact that they managed 30 points against a tough unit like the Seahawks is a positive sign. If they can stiffen up their defence perhaps that win isn’t far away. Tugun’s reserve grade and uner 19s made it a clean sweep for the home team with strong wins in all grades.

First grade:

TUGUN SEAHAWKS 40 (G Borgas 4, C Kitching, S Rowlings, T McGrady, C Hodges tries G TeKiri 4 goals) def RUNAWAY BAY SEAGULLS 30 (Z Aylward 2, C Toopi, R Tipper, E Brimelow, S McIntyre tries J Powell 3 goals) at Boyd Street.

Reserve grade:

Tugun Seahawks 40 def Runaway Bay 24

U/19s:

Tugun Seahawks 48 def Runaway Bay 22

Ladders

First grade

1.Southport Tigers 6*
2.Burleigh Bears 4
3.Tugun Seahawks 4
4.Tweed Heads Seagulls 4*
5.Cudgen Hornets 4
6.Bilambil Jets 4*
7.Currumbin Eagles 2
8.Runaway Bay 0
Denotes postponed game*

bigbear

bigbear

Burleigh against southport absolutely disgraceful.Southport outplayed and out muscled burleigh to win 20-8.Well done Southport.With burleigh Qcup coming last and Agrade only with 2 wins which were against lowly ranked cudgen and currumbin.They both really have to turn things around and quickly.Right now both those sides look like the players would rather be somewhere else. 
Jah14

Jah14

Burleigh don't have a team unit right now thats their problem. Too many changes week to week and even day to day is hurting them. I still think they'll come good and finished in the Top 4. 
bigbear

bigbear

Jah14 you might be right.What i see is the southport,tugun and bilambils play for each other were burleigh players seem to be playing for positions week in.Burleigh because of the titan factor affects the whole club right thru to the u/19s.This would not be used as a excuse i think it is just a fact. 
Jah14

Jah14

I wouldn't worry too much. I've been playing Burleigh for a long time and they've never once been an easy beat side. They'll continue flogging the bottom sides and compete with the top teams. 
shed

shed

Have the Titans destroyed Rugby League North of the border. 
StomperStains

StomperStains

Not as much as the Broncos/Capras partnership 
Jah14

Jah14

Tigers Blow Bay Away Early
Tweet By Kevin Braysher

A blistering first half has set up the fifth straight win of the season for the Southport Tigers as they defeated Runaway Bay 42-16 at Owen Park on Saturday night.

A first half hat-trick to winger Hirini Robin helped the Tigers race to a 28-0 lead that put Southport in an unbeatable position early in the contest.

Their momentum slowed a little in the second half as Southport lost several players to injury but the result was never in doubt.

“The game deteriorated in the second half,” Tigers coach Steve Dowd said.

“Bay kept fighting but we made a mistake by falling into their tactics and we had no interchange in the second half which knocked us around a bit.”

“But overall I was happy with the performance. Our first half was good and completions were up again.”

The scoring started early for the Tigers as HIrini Robin bagged his first try in the opening minutes.

Bay skipper Ben Thompson was binned in the 15th minute for a professional foul and the Tigers took full advantage with tries to Chester Paselio and two more to Hirini Robin while the front rower was off the field.

When Paselio stormed over for his second in the 32nd minute the result looked beyond doubt.

Bay breathed some life into the contest on the stroke of halftime however with impressive young centre Zak Aylward snatching an intercept and racing 50 metres to score.

Aylward managed to bag two more tries in the ten minutes after halftime to cut the lead down to 12, but that was as close as they would get as the game started to break down.

Ben Thompson was again sent to the bin in the 63rd minute while Dillion Maihi and Southport’s Jeremy Golf followed shortly after for various scuffles.

Tries to James Usher, Tu Whakatihi and Patrick Hunt rounded out the match gave the Tigers an eventual 26-point win.

Next weekend there will be no Bycroft Cup games due to representative fixtures, giving Southport’s injured players a chance to rest up before their next match against Cudgen on May 19.

“We need it. It’s definitely good timing for us,” Dowd said of the week off.

“The rest will do the boys good, but we’re five from five now so when we come back we just got to keep on winning.”

In other sixth round Bycroft Cup results the Burleigh Bears defeated Tweed Heads 36-16, Tugun defeated Currumbin 46-0 and Bilambil defeated Cudgen 34-12.

SOUTHPORT TIGERS 46 (H Robin 3, C Paselio 2, P Hunt, J Usher, T Whakatihi tries T Cannard 4) def RUNAWAY BAY SEAGULLS 16 (Z Aylward 3 tries M Morgan 2) at Owen Park.

Jah14

Jah14

THE future of representative rugby league on the Gold Coast looks bright as the Vikings representative side defeated both Brisbane and Ipswich over the weekend to win the Chairman’s Challenege and become champions of South-East Queensland.

First they notched a 28-8 win over Brisbane on Friday night before romping home against Ipswich yesterday afternoon with an emphatic 62-0 flogging.

Full of youth and enthusiasm the Vikings were simply outstanding across the weekend with a combined score line of 90-8 in the two games.

“At rep level you can’t ask for anymore than that,” a delighted Vikings coach Jamie McCormack said after the game.

“There were some concerns heading into the weekend that we lacked a little bit of experience; well they’ve gained plenty of experience out of those two games.”

“They have represented the Gold Coast extremely well this weekend and I’m hoping that we can keep the nucleus of that side together in the future.”

One of the great stories of the weekend was the rise of Hayden Allsop into the role of captain after an injury to Brendan Hoare.

Hoare was hurt early in the contest against Brisbane leaving the on field leadership duties to Allsop.

Allsop flourished in his role and led the Vikings with distinction by producing two brilliant performances.

He had plenty of help from the rest of his side too. Michael Burgess and Kevin Pease (4 tries against Ipswich) were outstanding in the halves while Chris Kitchings and Jared Blanke were phenomenal up front.

Blanke’s size, speed and skill caused massive troubles for the opposition while Kitchings’ work-ethic and toughness saw him carve out huge metres.

Centre Jamie Anderson also had a terrific weekend picking up 5 tries but every single player had stand out moments across the two games.

The vast majority of this squad is under the age of 23, meaning there is every reason to believe they can be a major force for years to come, especially in next year’s XXXX Challenge where they will have the chance to progress to state and national finals should they again win the Chairman’s Challenge.

Many of those players came through playing for the Vikings under 20s who yesterday won the Chairman’s Challenge for the fifth straight year.

“Five enjoyable years,” under 20s coach Tony Cummings said.

“I’m so proud of the boys. They always stand up and they are always so proud to play for the Vikings and that’s why they played so well.”

bigbear

bigbear

Disappointed a little more couldnt have been said about the performence of the u/20 side.Yes they have won the last five years , a wonderfull effort.Most of these young men play local A grade for there respected clubs.I hope both Tweed and Burleigh under 20s colts coaches had someone watching these games.More so maybe the Titans 20s coach or someone from his staff could have been at cudgen watching these young men play.Most of these young men will be eligible for the Vikings open side in 2014. Congratulations to the open viking side.Those boys brought a high skill level and work ethic with them to the vikings.They didnt need coaching they new what to do and went out and did it.A credit to the clubs which they had come from. 
Jah14

Jah14

Big Bear there is a good write up for the 20's on the QRL website 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181