The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Death of BRL

rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Not too sure that any Sydney fan would like to lose their club. It would be a bit like Broncos stuffing up the BRL. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

I think intially the BRL clubs procrastinated too long over the decision to join the NSWRL or "super comp" that MaCauliffe was proposing.

In the mean time, QLD were losing it's players to Sydney.

Something had to be done about it.

I agree that perhaps a new national comp would have been the way to go. But you could bet your bottom dollar that the self serving likes of Arthurson and Quayle wouldn't have been voting for disbanding the NSWRL logo altogether. They were keen to have a QLD/Brisbane based side...but under their own conditions. 
rwaite

rwaite

That wouldn't have happened. If they missed the cut of the top 8 they stayed in the NSWRL comp with the chance to be promoted in the national comp if they won the NSWRL comp, assuming there was a promotion/relegation process set up. 
MrChook

MrChook

No way NSWRL would've agreed to it. They had the premier competition that all the best players were flocking to. NSWRL would've been happy to continue on as they were.

McAuliffe's idea was just a pipe dream. 
Lewis06

Lewis06

Who listens to Manly supporters. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Not true .......NSWRL were very keen to cash in on the success of SOO. 
nodd

nodd

only other manly supporters. 
turnip

turnip

Enough to know it wasn't up to standard 
WestEndAthletics

WestEndAthletics

Zero then 
turnip

turnip

hahaha why you mad bro? 
XXXXCap

XXXXCap

You haven't answered the question. How many and what era games did you attend to base your view on ? 
turnip

turnip

hahaha looks like xxxx can't read! 
noddy79

noddy79

It's a bit rich for a Bronco fan to claim the moral ground on self serving principals.
first of all you created super league because after a massive 9 years in the comp you thought you knew best.
then after the factions rejoined your team was last to sign because you feared due to the damage done it was not possible to have the amount of teams in South East qld so to appease your club of clowns the Chargers were chopped after making a bankable turn over of 1 million and meeting the crowd criteria. This was called the South east charter to legally indemnify the league from court action from the chargers.

advice from the broncos is like a summer camp for Jewish teaching run by the Nazi party. 
sevens

sevens

Spot on...and if Packer had not backed Tosser?Still the ARL(Joke) were a disgrace not backing the Crushers....and if the Crushers were still around,Corbett would exist as a football ground,and Brisbane expansion would be a non issue....the crushers had a lot of goodwill from traditional Brisbane RL followers 
noddy79

noddy79

Agree with you absolutely 
harrofam

harrofam

The Crushers had a big following. If another Brisbane based team were to join the NRL they too would get plenty of support. The Broncs have lost the plot in the eyes of many. 
XXXXCap

XXXXCap

I can't read where you told us your involvement with the BRL on which you base your opinion. 
QLDJet

QLDJet

Used to go and watch the Crushers a bit and quite liked them. Got free tickets from local butcher at Milton most of the time.
Not sure about having a big following though - always seemed to be pretty empty at the cauldron, generally more away team fans. Except when they played Western Reds and then the joint was totally empty... tumbleweed empty...no line up for hot chips empty... 
XXXXCap

XXXXCap

It was never hard to get free tickets to Crushers games. Most of them still didn't get used. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Damn, I paid to go and see them play Souths. 
devilzulu

devilzulu

Some say the BRL died in 1987, but I spent many great days watching BRL matches post-1987.

1990 was one of my favourite 'BRL supporting' years of all. I watched the Sydney comp, but not with the passion and vigour of the BRL comp. I loved watching Norths that year and flicking on Channel 9 on a Sunday arvo to hear Alan Thomas, Mr T and Bruce Warwick call the footy. Fark...1992 was great another great BRL year as well. No doubt Mud agrees. 
sevens

sevens

Plenty of free tickets to ponies first couple of years as well. 
dtcj_007

dtcj_007

Maybe an issue for some........If the NRL have a heritage round this year I would love to see the donkeys run out in the old white jerseys with the red epaulettes. 
matthew

matthew

I'm a Sydney person through and through. I was too young for the BRL era but knew that Wally Lewis and Gene Miles played in another competition.

What needs to be noted is that in 1987 four members of the Australian Test Team of 15 came from the Brisbane Premiership.

But a damming stat was that five members of the 28-man 1986 Kangaroo Tour squad came from Brisbane - the balance was becoming all one way traffic.

Oddly enough I think the club that changed the entire landscape for Rugby League in Australia was the Canberra Raiders for two reasons. The NSWRL finally showed signs of expansion and the Raiders success began on the back of a daring raid into the Brisbane premiership especially the Souths Magpies club - Meninga, Belcher, Jackson plus coach Bennett. Not to mention other players like Walters (x2) and Coyne whilst Backo was already in Canberra long before.

Lack of financial resources sadly meant the Broncos was inevitable, but the ARL should have taken control and better managed it all and that included killing off deadwood Sydney clubs at the time, but Wests Magpies did stuff them up.

Gold Coast-Tweed Heads was bungled from day one and too much lattitude to the Broncos was given with the one team clause.

The divide and division between NSW and QLD has sadly stopped the game from properly growing into a force it should be nationally. Two Brisbane teams and Gold Coast/Tweeds Heads being based at Cararra from day one would have been better.

The NSW Cup / QLD Cup structure now is quite good. The NSW Cup haven't quite been able to capture the regional market like the QLD Cup has with Burleigh, Tweed Heads, Mackay, Sunshine Coast, Rockhampton (Capras) and Cairns (Pride). Albury and Wyong are a big test for the future of the NSW Cup.

Brisbane Premiership deserves First Grade Status from 1909 to 1987. 
matthew

matthew

Should the Winfield State League have become the premier competition in the 1980's but with less Brisbane sides and say add in Tweed Heads alongside Gold Coast Vikings?

I've been doing a lot of research on the Winfield State League and the model of it was very good and looking back I reckon it should have been the main Premiership with a Brisbane A/Grade below it all.

Cental Queensland Capras, Wide Bay Bulls, Toowoomba Clydesdales, Gold Coast Vikings, North Queensland Marlins and Ipswich Jets - such a brilliant concept and even better with at the time the rich Tweed Heads Seagulls. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168