The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013 Team

professional

professional

So ... after successfully dumping every player who has performed well for the club in the last 2 years

1. James Roberts
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
5. Wes Naiqama
6. Lachlan Coote
7. Luke Walsh
8. Tim Grant
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Sam McKendry
11. Lewis Brown
12. Clint Newton
13. Nigel Plum

14. James Segeyaro
15. Dayne Weston
16. Sika Manu
17. Ryan Simpkins 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Moses Pangai at centre.

I'd also start with Sika Manu and put Blake Austin on the bench. Jeremy Latimore over Weston, IMO 
Priddo

Priddo

1. Whare
2. Mansour
3. Daniela
4. Tighe
5. Simmons
6. Coote
7. Walsh
8. Grant
9. Kingston (c)
10. McKendry
11. Brown
12. Newton
13. Plum/Smith

14. Weston
15. Robinson
16. Manu
17. Segeyaro 
professional

professional

Don't know enough about Pangai or Austin but I'd definitely keep Weston. He's really underrated in my view. Very solid defence and can make some decent metres. He isn't exactly suited to playing as an impact player off the bench but he is definitely FG standard and he actually did a decent job of filling in for McKendry and Grant when they were out last year.

I don't think Latimore is a bad player but I haven't seen him do anything impressive. Good depth player is what I see him as.

I figured Daniela or Tighe would be the other options in the centres. Tighe couldn't hit a hole to save his life but I like his defence; he gets down low to tackle and his positioning is better than most three-quarters. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Pangai is a big young centre/backrower from Cowboys, played really well in the NYC Grand Final a couple of years back. Good enough to be a starter but he will need to earn it.

I think Roberts at fullback is quite optimistic, as much as I would to see it happen...Cleary would want to hold him back much like he did with players like Locke and Johnson. 
professional

professional

So do I. I've said elsewhere that Whare is likely to start at fullback. In fact I believe he was signed with the view of playing him at fullback. But the loss of Jennings leaves a big gap in the centres. 
BlackCat

BlackCat

Firstly...every player that has performed well for us!!!
Jennings - was dropped because of attitude. was fined because of attitude to rehab.
Lewis - had captaincy removed because of attitude. The "club mole" has now been removed. Enjoy that Sharks!
Gordon - Injured more time than played. 
BlackCat

BlackCat

No bigger than having him defend there. 
professional

professional

True. But it isn't as if Daniela is a big improvement. And as much as I like him, Whare isn't a good defender either. Tighe is pretty good defensively but non-existant in attack. 
AspleyOwl

AspleyOwl

Attitude WTF he was sick plenty and always on Rep duty.
Gould said early on they needed to shed alot of $$$$ as the backended deals were killing them now let alone later.
Cleary said he wanted someone as captain each week. 
AspleyOwl

AspleyOwl

What Cleary & Gould have is a 5yr plan. It will work so the Panthers have to be patient which they have been as a club anyways. They will start to bring their juniors back through the club as they have such a large talent pool. Fittler is actually doing a great job for the panthers aswell.
Give it time but watch their TC team closely it will be the indicator. 
BlackCat

BlackCat

Cleary actually said he was removing the captaincy during the SOO series. Lewis acted like a spoilt brat. He got what he deserved...for better or worse. 
professional

professional

How did he act as a "spoilt brat"? There was nothing about his behaviour in the media that could describe that and I didn't hear anything bad about his behaviour behind closed doors either.

Besides, do you seriously think that Cleary was just removing the captaincy for Origin? That is a load of baloney IMO, Origin was just an excuse for Cleary. He either didn't rate Lewis as a captain or just didn't want him as a captain. Cleary has form on this kind of thing, he changed from Steve Price to Simon Mannering at the Warriors. I don't think changing captains was necessarily a bad move but I seriously doubt that Cleary was going to reinstate Lewis, regardless of his behaviour. 
BlackCat

BlackCat

I'm confused. Did he or didn't he?? ...IYO

I will leave you with this question. If Lewis or Jennings were worth their contract amounts would they still be at Penrith, seeing they are juniors and all? 
professional

professional

Well Lewis was on ~450k at Penrith and he is on roughly the same at the Sharks. Clearly the open market values him as such and so do the Sharks. I think Lewis is well worth that amount. Jennings was being paid overs but Lewis doesn't fit into that category. 
professional

professional

Anyway, I hope Lewis Brown gets played in the second row rather than the centres. With Brown and Plum in the backrow Penrith's defence might have a little more punch to it. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Lewis = huge loss

Would have been more than happy had we been able to pick him up.

Jennings is replaceable, hard to replace him in attack, but as mentioned in defence is poor, so swings and roundabouts.

Gordan, If he stays on the park, I reckon Penrith will regret letting him go. But as it stands, that's a pretty decent sized if 
Greedz

Greedz

None of you see a spot for Mose? 
professional

professional

Forgot he signed. Might be useful on the bench. Top three props would be Grant, McKendry and Weston. I suppose Masoe could add impact but I don't rate him that highly. He should spend far bit of time at Windsor through the year. 
BlackCat

BlackCat

Penrith made an offer. He chose Cronulla's. I think it's pretty obvious Penrith have a firm grip on their salary cap (issues and future combined) 
BlackCat

BlackCat

Interesting. So Lewis left for similar money, Jennings for less. Both had contracts regardless and could have stayed. Both left though. Penrith didn't stand in their way either. So their contract amounts weren't enough for them to stay or be kept. That would leave attitude/behaviour as an issue wouldn't it? 
BlackCat

BlackCat

For what it's worth, I expect the 3 of them to have massive years and for Penrith to again struggle. But I won't care as long as there are no leaked issues, drunken rehab sessions etc. 
professional

professional

That isn't a logical conclusion at all. In fact it is a pretty long bow to draw. Everything I heard about Lewis's departure was that Penrith made him feel unwanted so he left. So Penrith could have just decided that Lewis wasn't worth the 450k they were paying him. Which, IMO just means they can't tell their arse from their elbow.

If you're going to keep insinuating attitude problems with Lewis perhaps you'd like to share specifically what they were. Jennings I know about but I've never heard anything negative (real or rumoured) about Lewis until you started throwing dirt in this thread. 
professional

professional

Also where does this come from? Jennings has not left for less money. He still gets the same salary, its just that Penrith end up paying a portion of it rather than the Roosters taking the full hit. 
BlackCat

BlackCat

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/former-penrith-panthers-captain-luke-lewis-wants-a-release-from-the-club/story-e6frexqi-1226420608097

I read a few attitude problems in this story. Attitude doesn't necessarily mean "bad attitude". It can also be an attitude to responsibility, effort, future etc.

Sure he didn't want to leave Penrith but he wasn't on "the bus".

I also read there that he was due to get the captaincy back...but that's just insinuated dirt when I say it. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

DavidHatch - Was on last Sunday. Weir SS defeated Cairns West SS in Final. Not sure where Weir go next.
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168