The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 2: Eels v Bulldogs @ ANZ

TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Word on the grapevine is that Ken Sio has an ankle injury and won't be playing in this game.

Vai Toutai is expected to take his place.

If true it's a shame for Sio, but at the same time will be good to see how Toutai will go. He's been impressive throughout the lower grades.
Still I would have thought maybe MacKenzie would get a run first. 
slip

slip

Not many close games between these two in recent times. Only the 8-7 victory to the Bulldogs in 2011. 
crow

crow

[h=1]Eels' chase for Pritchard adds bite to Dogs clash[/h] Date March 14, 2013[h=3]http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/by/Adrian-Proszenko Adrian Proszenko [/h]

Parramatta have made a play for Canterbury forward Frank Pritchard in a move that will add further spice to Thursday night's clash between the arch rivals.
Pritchard, one of the biggest-name forwards off contract at the end of the season, is also considering interest from St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers.
However, the Eels are the club most likely to lure him away from Belmore as they attempt to bolster their pack. They thought they had nabbed their first big name under new coach Ricky Stuart when Josh Papalii signed a three-year deal worth $1.3 million. However, Canberra got underneath their guard, benefiting from a rule that allows the holding club up until round 13 to lodge a counter offer.
Pritchard has returned to his devastating best under the coaching of Des Hasler and the Bulldogs are keen to retain him. However, they are unlikely to be able to compete with Parramatta's offer. The 29-year-old has a family connection at the Eels, with younger brother Kaysa a hooker on the club's books.
Advertisement
A leg injury will prevent the New Zealand international from taking on the Eels at ANZ Stadium and he could be out for up to another month.
The Dragons are also looking to add starch to their pack and are keen to add the man dubbed ''Frank the Tank'' to their books.
The Eels remain cashed up after missing out on several of their signing targets including Papalii and Cowboys props Matt Scott and James Tamou. They are also after off-contract Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah but the NSW hooker is expected to re-sign on a deal that will make him a Tiger for life.
It is understood Brisbane utility Corey Norman is close to agreeing to join the Eels. Norman's preferred position is pivot but he has been shifted to fullback after the arrival of Scott Prince.
Norman has told those close to him that he is poised to accept the $400,000-a-year deal.

crow

crow

[h=1]Parramatta captain Tim Mannah says Parramatta Eels enjoying their footy under coach Ricky Stuart[/h]
[LIST]
[*] Nick Walshaw
[*] http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au The Daily Telegraph
[*] March 13, 2013 11:30PM
[/LIST]

PARRAMATTA players have credited new coach Ricky Stuart with reviving the "winning culture" which inspired their most successful period in recent memory - that charge to the 2009 grand final.

In a statement that is sure to excite the http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-captain-tim-mannah-says-parramatta-eels-enjoying-their-footy-under-coach-ricky-stuart/story-e6frexnr-1226596689525# Blue and Gold Army, Eels club captain Tim Mannah insists the feeling around Parramatta Stadium is eerily similar to that of 2009.
Languishing in 14th and contending for the spoon that year, the Eels then won 12 of 15 matches to make the decider - with Jarryd Hayne also storming home to win the Dally M medal through a series of freakish performances.
Asked yesterday to describe what Stuart had brought to the club, Mannah replied: "I can tell you in one word ... fun.
"Since Ricky arrived here there has been a real emphasis on everyone enjoying themselves. It's no secret that Jarryd Hayne and Chrissy Sandow, our key playmakers, are best when they're enjoying themselves.

"And when they're happy, the rest of us are too. I think you saw that against the Warriors on the weekend. I haven't had that much fun on a footy field in years."
Despite being long shots for this year's premiership, the Eels actually led the competition on Sunday after beating the Warriors 40-10. Only Newcastle thumping Wests Tigers by 32 points in Monday Night Football took them from top spot.
"I think that win really showed what we can do this year," Mannah said. "I was also really happy for our fans who, for so long, have deserved to see that sort of performance from us.
"We've got a great support base - I'd say the best in the NRL - and I was as happy for them as I was myself when we played like we did. That's only week one though, there's a long way to go."
Asked about facing arch-rivals Canterbury tonight, Mannah said: "They made the grand final last year for a reason.
"I know they're missing a couple of players but we're certainly not confused about what to expect from them. They were the benchmark last year.
"But the great thing about our side now, Ricky really has got this team tight. He believes the tighter you are as a team, the more fun you have. And the more fun you have, the better you perform." 
crow

crow

[h=1]Parramatta Eels coach Ricky Stuart trying to have his side 'fly under the radar', like Canterbury couterpart Des Hasler[/h]
[LIST]
[*] Dean Ritchie
[*] http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au The Daily Telegraph
[*] March 13, 2013
[/LIST]

SHIFT aside Dessie, we have another who is now travelling "under the radar".

Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart yesterday strongly played down his side's chances in tonight's match against Canterbury at ANZ Stadium - much like Hasler has famously done during his 10-year coaching http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-eels-coach-ricky-stuart-trying-to-have-his-side-fly-under-the-radar-like-canterbury-couterpart-des-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226596711051# career .
Stuart even said he would be pleased if his team managed to "stay within two to three tries" of Canterbury.
A http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-eels-coach-ricky-stuart-trying-to-have-his-side-fly-under-the-radar-like-canterbury-couterpart-des-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226596711051# bumper crowd should turn up to watch this evening's game between two of rugby league's bitter rivals throughout the 1980s.
And sounding very much like his coaching rival tonight, Stuart said: "We are playing the grand finalists who have seven or eight State of Origin and Test players. I would be really happy just to hang with them.
"If we can stay within two to three tries of them, I will be happy with the players' efforts.

"We are coming from being wooden spooners to play a team that came very, very close to winning the grand final."However, Parramatta shouldn't think they are http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-eels-coach-ricky-stuart-trying-to-have-his-side-fly-under-the-radar-like-canterbury-couterpart-des-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226596711051# complete underdogs after last weekend's stunning first-up win over New Zealand.
"Too many people overreacted when we were beaten by 40 points by Wests http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-eels-coach-ricky-stuart-trying-to-have-his-side-fly-under-the-radar-like-canterbury-couterpart-des-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226596711051# Tigers in a trial game - that wasn't us," Stuart said. "Now too many have overreacted about our good win last weekend.
"There is some middle ground there between those two results.
"I will assess that over the http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-eels-coach-ricky-stuart-trying-to-have-his-side-fly-under-the-radar-like-canterbury-couterpart-des-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226596711051# next six to eight weeks."
Parramatta have several injury concerns but Stuart was reluctant to reveal which players were in doubt.
Canterbury's big names - Sam Kasiano, Ben Barba, Frank Pritchard and James Graham - are again expected to remain sidelined for this evening's match.
Barba and Graham were never going to return tonight but there were hopes for forwards Pritchard and Kasiano.But Hasler said this week that his Kiwi representative players would again be absent for the Parramatta match.
"We were a bit ill-disciplined (against North Queensland)," Hasler said.
"It is an area we need to fix. We didn't make the most of our opportunities when in possession."
Canterbury five-eighth Josh Reynolds stressed his team must start strongly tonight.
"Parramatta had a great win and they will be fired up," Reynolds said.
"It's always a great rivalry between the sides.
"We have to come out and blow them off the park.
"It wasn't the best start for us (last week).
"You train all season and want to get that first win.
"But we have gone over things we didn't do well and we have to start well." 
crow

crow

Looking forward to this game. I dont think the Eels will win, but it should be a good game anyway. 
zepha75

zepha75

Do you follow the eels? 
Bryco30

Bryco30

Ah should be a great game, as others have said without Barba and Graham we loss ALOT on offence. We really need to win games thru defence for the time being.

This Kelepi Tanginoa bloke, do we think he'll get a consistant run? Who is out for him to get a crack?

DOGS by 4 
crow

crow

Do you??? 
annav3

annav3

nothing more irritating than over confident eels fans... I hate losing to the eels 
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Toutai is better than MacKenzie.
At least I think so. 
slip

slip

You're going down by 50! Seriously, Parra might go back to being moronic, but I'm thinking surely not under Ricky Stuart. 
zepha75

zepha75

Yes, for about 34 years. I was young about 4 at the time and my Uncle follows them years ago, but he's now he's a Knights supporter when they were introduced to the comp. A few on my family played in Newcastle comps. 
slip

slip

I've also been a Parra fan for the past 34 years. Started around '79, '80 when I was 5 years old. 
knitey

knitey

Obviously people of great taste.:P 
zepha75

zepha75

Excuse me young Lady! Dog fans are insane and should be locked up :lol: 
zepha75

zepha75

Well, there in a few who worked and live around Morriset Mental Home :lol: 
knitey

knitey

I worked there for awhile.......I think it rubbed off.:S 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

your fine Knitey it never made you support the storm :lol: 
knitey

knitey

Excellent point...I must be normal then.:) 
annav3

annav3

LOL we love our footy teams. :) Lots of great games between the two clubs over the years. 
alchemist

alchemist

what's a psychosis or two? ;) 
crow

crow

I have supported the Eels for over 40 years, unlike some of your family members I have stuck with them, through thick and thin. 
zepha75

zepha75

Years ago, the Mental home had the worst of the criminally insane at Morrisett, but not now I've heard. 
zepha75

zepha75

I went to a few games at Belmore when I was young. When Parra and Dogs had the same home ground.

Lets talk about the 80's! :D Who won the most Premierships in the 80's??????? :D 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168