The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 1: Eels v Warriors @ Parramatta

slip

slip

Still 2 weeks folks, but it's Parra's next game. Name Parra's line-up. 
View all 119 comments
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Cheers Muppet.
Hope your team has a better year than this round suggested. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I am going to start this post with something I never thought I'd say:
*takes deep breath*
Chris Sandow was brilliant today.
There I said it.

It was a great all-round team performance by the Eels.
Defence was mostly solid. Attack was inventive and flowed well most of the time.
We were a bit sloppy in the opening stages when it came to ball-handling and penalties, but we held firm and got out to a good lead. Most surprisingly, we went on with it afterwards though.

Our forwards laid a terrific platform. Lussick and Allgood were running it up strong and hitting hard in defence. Mannah started slowly but looked good when he got going. Fui was solid. Matt Ryan had some terrific runs showing some good footwork just before the line. I was quite impressed with his play.

Best thing about this win was that Hayne was relatively quiet. Sure he scored three tries, but he wasn't expected to set up everything. We were able to score points without Hayne being the go-to guy every time which gives me some real hope. In saying that, when Hayne did get the ball he was very good. Loved him skipping across the field looking for a hole and using his strength to try and get through, as well as his support play which earned him his tries.

Jacob Loko was a beast. All us Parra supporters have known for a while how special this kid could be and I think today we saw what he is capable of. We scored at least three or four tries directly after a big run from Loko. I hope he plays out the whole year because I just want to keep seeing him play. He will have the odd game here and there where he is poor, but I think we are on to a good thing here.

Special mentions to Cheyse Blair, Ryan Morgan and Joseph Paulo. All three had tremendous games. Blair's defence was great, especially considering he was awful in that area last year. He scrambled really well at times. Morgan was very good - the try he set up for Ryan with his swerving run was sublime. Even if Willie Tonga is fit next week I doubt you could drop any of these guys. And lastly Paulo was dangerous with the ball in his hands all day.

Oops, almost forgot Maitua who was very strong.

I think we have a good chance against the Bulldogs next week if we fix up our handling problems. They have a lot of key players out and struggled to score points against the Cowboys today. Can't wait until Thursday! 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Wow that was long.
I guess I got a bit excited there.

Can you blame me though? 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

False hope? 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Before we get too excited, our first 20 - 25 mins was extremely poor, fortunately the Warriors were just as bad. If we give away field position like that next week, we will go into half time chasing a very large lead.

Hopefully that was just round one jitters.

Like you said TS, Hayne played great in support, in fact I'd go as far as saying he played how Sticky would have had him play to earn selection for the Blues, obviously no coincidence.

Sandow's running to the line was just awesome. They just couldn't contain him.

But most pleasing was how our forwards muscled up, the Warriors are not a team you simply roll over the top of, and whilst they were not at full strength, we contained them well, and easily matched them in the go forward.

The other thing that pleased me no end, was we didn't drop our heads when the call for the no try went against us and the Warriors scored on the ensuing set. Last couple of seasons that would have meant game over.

Early days, but Roberts as utility may be exactly what he needs to find some consistency, 80 mins on the field gives him too many opportunities for a brain explosion. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Yes, you are right about the start of the game bandwagon.
But I did like how we pulled ourselves out of it and started playing some footy. In the Tigers trial we did the same, giving them way too much field position through dropped balls and then we seemingly gave up because of it. I know it was only a trial but I was worried it would be like that throughout the season. They proved that they have the confidence in themselves - although I'm wondering how it would have been if the Warriors were awarded that first try. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Also, was anyone else worried that when Roberts put the kick through for Sio's second try that he was going to throw a massive forward pass over the sideline? 
slip

slip

Did you go to the game TS? Was it mostly Parra supporters? 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I was there and as you would expect it was mostly Eels supporters.
The Warriors did have a healthy turnout though and boosted the crowd to a disappointing but still reasonable figure.
These are two teams that finished last year very poorly and didn't recruit much for this year. Not much is expected of either team so that would explain the poor crowd.
Still, it was round 1 and a nice sunny day - perfect day to go to the footy. 
slip

slip

Over 13,000 is still decent considering it wasn't another Sydney team. I'm sure over the past decade, 13,000 would be typical for an Eels v Warriors game at Parra, regardless of Parra's form. 
knitey

knitey

Agree, Dogs v Cows...(2 top rated teams)....Crowd....11627. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

At Gosford.
Don't know how many Bulldogs or Cowboys fans they have up there but I doubt it's many.
If it was at ANZ you can easily believe that it would have been at least 18 000 simply by having all the Dogs members turn up. 
chookdance

chookdance

i thought morgan looked outstanding in attack! there was not a bad player for you guys. anyone not in the team will find it hard to get in if those performances keep up 
knitey

knitey

Lots of footy fans on the coast TS, when we lived there, we went to all the games at Bluetongue no matter who was playing......but I see your point. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I can imagine if Newcastle or even Manly was playing there the crowd would be bigger.
Bit selfish of the Dogs to take this game to Gosford in my opinion.
Their fans wait all off-season for the footy and they get a home game for round 1 and it gets taken up to Gosford.

My team's playing a game in Armidale this year. I doubt I will be going...so glad it wasn't round 1. 
slip

slip

I just hope nothing was vandalized or stolen overnight. Worried I'd wake up this morning and find the beach gone!! :P 
knitey

knitey

Does the NRL "reward" clubs for taking home games to regional areas?

If so, the Dogs did a shifty, the CC is hardly regional. 
slip

slip

Compared to Bankstown, the CC would be country. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Not sure.
I think it's good for the game and I'm glad the Eels are taking a game out there (while also being sad I'm missing out on a home game). I'm sure there are certain benefits the club gets out of it - the NRL must at least reimburse them for money lost via smaller attendances and such. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Plenty of people living in Sydney consider Campbelltown to be country.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if some thought Bankstown was as well. 
knitey

knitey

I agree, I went to the Storm v Broncos trial in Hobart last year and was stoked that teams had brought a game to Tassie, so I imagine people in regional NSW feel the same. 
polisheel

polisheel

That was a pleasure to watch for the most part...I was a bit worried with the first 10mins of both halves but there was a lot to like. Sandow looked really sharp and in control, his kicking game was good. Hayne was good without looking like he was trying/needing to do everything, kept popping up at the right time & place. I thought all 3 captains were good and I couldn't really say we had a bad player. I don't think there were too many times last year when we conceded so few points either.... Long may it continue! 
bandwagon

bandwagon

I'm sure we conceded less against the Knights..............and lost. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

The eels taking a game to Gosford? If so I would suggest going its a great stadium and very convenient to public transport :)

I may even go even though I am not a eels supporter but do have a soft spot for em :lol: 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Sorry, should have elaborated that it is Armidale that the Eels are taking a game to.
I have been to BlueTongue Stadium. Went there quite a few years ago for an Eels-Roosters trial match. Very nice stadium. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Almost.
It was 14-6. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

TheSportDoctor - I like the concept of the draft. It would even the competition out and allow hope for those teams who are really bad each year. I know th...
ALX21 - Law-Cobbo, Turnbull, Dixon, Nagas and Conway were the best for the Probables, while Renouf, Burns, Cox, Simpson, Trindall, Fifita and McC...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181