The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Pricey gave Wally Lewis his title the 'King'

slip

slip

Revealed tonight. But Price was being sarcastic, saying 'this guy thinks he's the King up there in QLD'. Do you have a Wally Lewis thought? Remember that Australia v Great Britain game in Sydney in 1984. Maybe Pricey was behind that. lol I think they are the only two that have statue's outside the ground? Price v Lewis. Pricey!!! :8 
View all 39 comments
BuckinBronco

BuckinBronco

The King isn't even the only statue outside Lang Park. 
crow

crow

Brett Kenny was better anyway, plus had a great combination with Sterlo who was the halfback in all tests that year 
slip

slip

Kenny is the only NSW 5/8, the King didn't get the better of. 
Morkel

Morkel

That's a pretty funny fact. Kenny says it out of spite and the media, the fans, the game etc carry it along as a genuine nickname. Would piss Kenny off even more, I bet he dies a little inside every time he hears the name. 
BringbackBRL

BringbackBRL

Price. And I agree. 
woodies

woodies

I saw many friendships destroyed and many verbal and physical fights over the argument about Lewis. It was an interesting time.
Price was a venomous bastard. He couldn't get over the fact that Lewis played in a 2nd tier competition (Brisbane). I'm amazed that they are on speaking terms these days. 
Morkel

Morkel

Haha Price. I meant Price. Got brain-addled by someone mentioning Kenny in an earlier post. Price is a club legend but interviews over the last couple of years with him suggest the head-knocks are influencing most of his thinking. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Both Price and Kenny seem to have a penchant for bagging out their "beloved" club (Parramatta) in the media.

Surprised any Eels fan worth his salt would give either one the time of day....

particularly considering some of the spitefulness accompanying the comments. 
BringbackBRL

BringbackBRL

Parra fans are still living in the 80s - it's all they've got. 
alchemist

alchemist

only Gary Ablett Snr has a better nickname that i can think of in Australian sports... 
bandwagon

bandwagon

There's a difference between bagging the club, and bagging those that run it and how it's run. 
AspleyOwl

AspleyOwl

Lewis will say the best player he ever played against is Kenny.
Lewis was just a different player come SOO no doubt and handled all that come at him apart from Kenny. In saying that he would beat others to set up the tried for QLD. Kenny could step and beat him but lewis made up for it in many other ways.
Price & Kenny are just a few that were sent packing a while ago all those greats were outsiders of the club which not only hurt them but the fans too. Stuart is changing that just like he did with the Blues and bringing back the greats of the club.
Sterlo & Kenny were the best halves pairing i have seen closely followed by Stuart & Daley. Lewis & Langer was too short but lethal. Hence why Kenny played along side Sterlo in those Tests. Next year they moved Kenny to the centers.
Meninga is outside Canberra yes.
Brent Tate is at Easter Island along with Willie Mason & Tonie Carroll. Word is Sam Burgess & Paul Langmack will be new additions to Mount Rushmore as Easter Island was too small a scale.
I should do stand up after that little gag!!! 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

There's a statue of Brett Kenny doing the gardening outside the Leagues Club.

Or that may have been Kenny himself actually. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Not all of us.
I can look back on those days fondly, but I am about moving on. I was against the move back to the old club emblem - I thought the one we had was really good already. I'm ok with reverting back to the old-style jersey simply because they look better.
I can't wait for us to win another Premiership...not just because I will enjoy the win, but also so we can finally move on from that period where we were so successful 30 years ago. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Dally Messenger's was pretty good too.

I always liked Simon Woolford's nickname.
So fitting. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

which logo did u like better than the classic one? the yellow eel one or the blue friendly one you had in early 2000s 
eelboy

eelboy

[QUOTE=T.S Quint;1503155]I didn't get to see much of Lewis, and what I did see has faded in my memory.

I'm pretty sure he was overrated though.

He was a great origin player...he inspired many many maroon comebacks..tough, smart, great hands
.imo he rarely played that well for Australia or his club.

Best footballer I ever saw is Bob Fulton... tough, smart, fast, great defender, great hands..if only he played for Parra. 
eelboy

eelboy

But f*ck it was great 
eelboy

eelboy

I might not be worth my salt......and Kenny and Price are both hard heads....but they earned their street cred and the right to have a bitch about matters. 
slip

slip

There is a reason for that...we'll my reason...the 80's was such an awesome decade it's hard to forget. I would rather live in the 70s and 80s than today and would go back in a flash. I have many fond memories of the 80s and it's not just footy. 
woodies

woodies

So parra, through Price are laying claim to the 'King' title bestowed upon Wally Lewis.
Which club lays claim to the 'Wally's a Wanker' title? 
slip

slip

It was revealed on Friday night footy by one of the commentators while speaking to Lewis. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I'd hazard a guess that it was a whole state, not a club. 
woodies

woodies

Yeah, I saw that. Interesting stuff.

I was sure the 'Wally's a Wanker' chant started during a mid week cup game when he played for combined Brisbane. 
slip

slip

And Wally being booed at the SCG in 1984. lol 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

DavidHatch - Was on last Sunday. Weir SS defeated Cairns West SS in Final. Not sure where Weir go next.
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181