The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Papalii turns back on Eels

rodw32

rodw32

Parramatta will take their fight for Josh Papalii to the courts after the promising forward agreed to terms on a three-year contract to remain in the nation's capital.
Despite signing a contract with the Eels, Papalii has agreed to terms on a $1.3 million deal with the Raiders, exercising a right which allows the holding club up until round 13 to re-sign players.
"Over the past couple of weeks I've spent a lot of time talking with my family about this decision and I'm comfortable that it's the best thing for me, my career and my family," Papalii said. "It's been a really tough decision to make, but in the end I had to do what was right for my family and I know I've done that.
"The Raiders have given me the chance to start my NRL career and I've made a home in Canberra for myself and my family," he said.
Advertisement
Fairfax Media has been told that the Eels will take legal action to ensure Papalii honours his original commitment to them.
"A contract is a contract - we won't be letting him go without a fight," a source said.
Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club were ready to move on and let Papalii continue with his career.
"Josh is an important member of our club, he's come through our junior development system and it's important for us to retain as many of our talented juniors as we can," Furner said. "We've agreed to terms with him for a further three seasons and we're excited about his future at this club.
Eels Chief Executive Ken Edwards expressed disappointment at the decision, "The Eels today received notification from the management of Josh Papalii that despite signing a 3-year contract with the club commencing in 2014, he will remain at the Canberra Raiders."
“To say we are disappointed by Josh’s decision to not see through his verbal and written agreements to join the Eels next season is an understatement. We are building something special here and we are only interested in people who are strong and committed joining this organisation.”
Earlier on Friday, Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart was confident he had landed his first big-name signing for the club.
"I'm not nervous because he signed a legal document in front of his mother, in front of his manager and with our recruitment manager Peter Nolan," Stuart said.
"No I'm not nervous. I'm very excited by the signing. He's going to be a great asset. I know there's been a lot of pressure on him which is unfair because he signed a legal document and he was happy.
"I think it puts too much pressure on players to make decisions too soon. I think it's a rule that we can certainly look at. But that's what we have to deal with at the moment. They are the guidelines and have done everything sound in regards to signing Josh and as a club we're very excited about that signing. It's black and white, he signed a legal document."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/papalii-turns-back-on-eels-20130308-2fqt8.html#ixzz2MvfOJ9ga 
View all 52 comments
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I would hazard a guess that his manager is responsible for thinking up this whole charade.

I reckon my guess is pretty spot on too. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Hopefully...but I doubt it.
Papalii is no Moltzen. He is a damn good player which is why we're a bit upset at what has gone on here. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Bet your spewing Sandow never pulled a similar swifty.

Maybe he will get inspired. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

SOme of those player managers have no morals and are scum.

Look how Huddles used us to beef up his storm contract. 
alchemist

alchemist

i'm with you... if players need not keep their word (contracts, letters of intent, handshake agreements), then why should clubs? 
alchemist

alchemist

merely an autograph now, unfortunately 
crow

crow

The NRL is a second rate, unprofessional sport. I dont think there is another sporting body in the world where if you sign a contract there is an escape clause. A contract is a contract unless you play in the NRL. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

So it would seem. And not worth the paper it is written on. 
slip

slip

There is always an escape clause Crow. Remember, rules were meant to be broken. :lol: Here's a scenario, you sign with Parra and then lose to the Storm in the 2009 GF. You're so upset and feeling cheated you walk out on the game, the club and the contract. Now, when you signed to play in the NRL, you signed with expectations that the game would be honest, but that did not occur. It would take a horrid and unreasonable person to take court action against you for breach of contract when the game itself, did not play by the rules and guidelines. That is one example of many different scenarios. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I agree this rule needs to be fixed, but we are not the only League with contract problems.
In the NFL, which would seemingly be the most professional league in the world, you can have a contract for 6 years but the team can cut you after two and not have to pay out the whole contract. 
alchemist

alchemist

issues exist in other sports as well... for example, i know of a soccer player that signed a contract with one club, his then club sold him to another club, and the administrators proposed solving the dispute by having the player play one season for one club, the next season with the other 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

That seems rather strange.
Should have used the Solomon approach - threaten to cut him in half and see who gives in. 
alchemist

alchemist

it was a long time ago but still pretty bizarre 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Who needs Papalii anyway.

We got Loko! 
motiveight

motiveight

I am a Souths fan and Luke Lewis did the same. At least this was resolved much quicker.

If a player does not want to be at your club you are better of without him.

Parramatta also can now plan to recruit a forward instead of waiting until May or June in the vain hope Papali may honour the commitment he made. 
slip

slip

If Parra keep playing the way they did yesterday, who needs him. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Remember we have Tanginoa coming up through the ranks.
Also Pauli. We have some monsters who are carving up already in our juniors. If losing Papalii means we get to keep them then I'm not too fussed. 
crow

crow

[h=1]The story behind Josh Papalii's decision to turn down Parramatta Eels and stay with Canberra Raiders[/h]
[LIST]
[*] Andrew Webster
[*] http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au The Daily Telegraph
[*] March 13, 2013
[/LIST]

"I WANT to play under Ricky Stuart."

Those words didn't come from the mouths of any Parramatta players right http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-story-behind-josh-papaliis-decision-to-turn-down-parramatta-eels-and-stay-with-canberra-raiders/story-e6frexnr-1226596680938# now , although the way Jarryd Hayne looks and feels you would certainly understand if they came from him.
They came from Josh Papalii. So why won't he be playing for the Eels next season?
Parramatta meet the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium tonight in one of rugby league's truly storied rivalries, but let's just mop up the minor matter of Papalii's extraordinary decision to (legally) renege on his $1 million, three-year deal to join the Eels next season.
The Daily Telegraph has learnt of the timeline of negotiations between the boom Canberra forward and the Eels - and the pressure placed on the 20-year-old to stay at the Raiders.

First, it's important to know that Papalii's manager Col Davis approached the Eels, the club did not approach him or the player.
That was early January, when the Queensland-based manager phoned Eels recruitment man Peter Nolan and told him Papalii was a free agent.
Parramatta weren't looking for an edge forward. They wanted big aggressive props for hire in the middle, which explains their heated interest in Cowboys Matt Scott and James Tamou.
Later that month, Davis passed on the message to the Eels: "Josh wants to play under Ricky Stuart."
Despite his explosive performance last season, the Raiders had not offered Papalii a contract extension.

While the kid wanted to sign with the Eels, Stuart insisted he should at least speak to Canberra - the club where Stuart collected premierships as a player - out of respect.
Despite this, on February 4, with his mother standing next to him and with Nolan present, Papalii signed his three-year deal.
On February 19, Davis phoned Parramatta to tell them Canberra had counter-offered, and that the Raiders - having not re-signed Papalii despite the http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-story-behind-josh-papaliis-decision-to-turn-down-parramatta-eels-and-stay-with-canberra-raiders/story-e6frexnr-1226596680938# opportunity to do so for months - had given him 24 hours to accept.Days later, Davis gave the Eels another firm indication his client was still coming in 2014.
Around the same time, as Raiders boss Don Furner was playing in Stuart's charity http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-story-behind-josh-papaliis-decision-to-turn-down-parramatta-eels-and-stay-with-canberra-raiders/story-e6frexnr-1226596680938# golf day in Canberra, Nolan met with Papalii, who again reaffirmed he was coming.
That's a signature and two verbal confirmations that everything was sweet, despite public comments from Raiders http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-story-behind-josh-papaliis-decision-to-turn-down-parramatta-eels-and-stay-with-canberra-raiders/story-e6frexnr-1226596680938# coach David Furner that "the kid wants to stay".
Then, suddenly, the line between Davis and Nolan went cold. Calls and texts weren't answered.
There is a belief at Parramatta that this is when the Raiders started pressuring Papalii to about-face, which is possible under the NRL's edict allowing the incumbent club's cooling off period before round 13.
There are suggestions Papalii was asked about why he would leave, on the team bus, in front of his teammates. Club representatives lobbied his parents.
Queensland coach Mal Meninga, a senior adviser to his former team, was rolled in. With Papalii knocking on the door of Maroons selection, it was the http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-story-behind-josh-papaliis-decision-to-turn-down-parramatta-eels-and-stay-with-canberra-raiders/story-e6frexnr-1226596680938# best card Canberra could play.
At 5.31pm last Friday, with the Sharks drugs crisis running wild, the Raiders released a statement declaring that Papalii would be staying.
It ended weeks of speculation about his future, but questions remain about the manner and circumstances around the sudden change of heart.
No party, from Parramatta to the Raiders to Davis, believe they have done anything wrong.
As for Papalii, he is yet to phone or text Stuart and explain why he wanted desperately to play for him one month, and then not at all the next. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Shaming the bloke on the team bus?
Shutting him off from the world to get in his head?
Going after his parents?
Threatening him with non-selection in Origin?

If any of this is indeed true then Canberra have gone down quite a few rungs in my mind. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Are they in storm and dogs categories yet? 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Not even close.

But I've lost quite a bit of respect for them - and I had a lot of respect for them before.
Sacking Dugan has gotten a tiny bit of it back though. 
crow

crow

I saw him play against the Titans and I think we may have dodged a bullet. He was pretty ordinary, but then there were some extenuating circumstances. It was extremely hot and the rest of his team was crap. 
slip

slip

Why does he want to stay at the Raiders? Losing 36-0 to the Titans. WTF :lol: 
alchemist

alchemist

as well as the disruption to the team with the Dugan sacking and Ferguson being stood down 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Yeah, hard to gauge a player's talent in a game like that.
Watching him last year though was what made me so happy that we'd signed him (albeit briefly). He is very strong and can bust the line - has good leg drive. Hits hard in defence.
He'll show how good he really is throughout the year....but if he doesn't I will reserve the right to laugh my arse off. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

be positive look at that game and smile.

Its what I do when I watch Tigers matches and see Moltzen drop the ball every time he has any pressure applied ;) 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa vs Australia live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score coverage...
tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181