The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Jarryd Hayne: I can be Parramatta Eels' Darren Lockyer

slip

slip

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/jarryd-hayne-i-can-be-eels-lockyer/story-e6frfgdx-1226600137672

JARRYD Hayne has challenged himself to adopt Darren Lockyer's champion qualities in a bid to become Parramatta's ideal skipper.
Not satisfied with his performance in last weekend's narrow loss to Canterbury, Hayne yesterday nominated Lockyer as the style of leader he needs to emulate.

The newly appointed Eels co-captain also revealed he had sought advice from both Lockyer and seven-time premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett.

After an opening-round hat-trick against the Warriors, Hayne came back to earth last Thursday night when he tried in vain to deliver a match-winning blow against a decimated Bulldogs outfit.

It was a challenge custom-made for Lockyer, who single-handedly won countless games for the Broncos with his composure and nous.

"I was pretty disappointed with my game," Hayne said.
"I probably didn't take the opportunities that I'm used to taking or the risks. It's all about finding when and when not to.

"A bloke like Darren Lockyer is one of those captains that I really enjoyed watching.

"When he was under the pump he would bring out the big play and do something special. That's something I can definitely learn and get a better understanding of."

In All-Stars and Australian camps Hayne has made a habit of sounding out Lockyer or Bennett to further his education.

"I spoke to (Lockyer) last year to pick his brain about a couple of things," the 25-year-old said. "Him and Wayne Bennett are people I love talking to and asking questions.

"I'm always asking Wayne about his grand final record.

"How could he win seven grand finals. He just laughed and said that if there was a secret he'd tell me.

"I'm always trying to pick their brains and emulate what they do."

With fellow co-captain Reni Maitua racing the clock to overcome an ankle injury ahead of Friday night's clash against Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval, Hayne is likely to be flying solo in just his third outing as skipper.

Maitua received further treatment during yesterday's field session and is considered a remote chance of playing.

But Ken Sio (ankle) and Luke Kelly (hamstring) both trained and will come into calculations for a return.

"I'm still getting used to (the captaincy)," Hayne said.

"Always having Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless there, it's something I'm still learning. It's tough to pin-point an area (I need to improve). I've just got to worry about leading from the front and playing good footy." 
slip

slip

Darren who? 
crow

crow

This idea might work, why doesnt he try to be the Jarryd Hayne of 2009. Dont try to be someone else. 
woodies

woodies

Amen to that. Just be consistent at his own game would be fantastic. Can't believe it was the same player in Rd2 as he was against the Warriors in RD 1. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Is he saying he is planning a move into halves and to be successful at it? 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

He has said for a while now that the move to the halves is inevitable...but I'm hoping they hold it off for a couple of years at least.
I think he can be successful at it, he just has to really want it - which he doesn't seem to at the moment. 
alchemist

alchemist

keep Hayne at fullback while he still has his pace... no need to move him 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Yes...he'll need to be a successful fullback first if he intends on emulating Lockyer. 
alchemist

alchemist

Hayne's erratic but definitely a quality fullback 
MrFourex

MrFourex

The erratic part is what stands between him and being someone of Lockyer's status. 
alchemist

alchemist

he's no Lockyer and really shouldn't be publicly challenging himself to be so... we saw in '09 what he can be for the club... Lockyer at the Broncos is a different beast in different circumstances 
zepha75

zepha75

Last year he had a crook knee. As a co-captain he has to lead by example to be honest. The good of the team shit. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Wot ?? 
woodies

woodies

Can't understand why he would put pressure on himself 2 games into the season. Unless of course Stuart has had a word in his ear and orchestrated something. Stuart does play mind games to get the best out of his team, or when the occasion suits, to upset the opposition or the refs through the media. 
zepha75

zepha75

Go back to school if you didn't understand it :lol: 
annav3

annav3

all talk Jarryd Hayne..Lockyer did all his talking on the field albeit wtih a husky voice. 
slip

slip

Lockyer played in better teams which most certainly helped. 
professional

professional

What is that supposed to mean?

Hayne said he was disappointed with his performance and was looking to improve. He didn't compare himself to Lockyer, instead he said he wanted to learn from him. Hard to fault anything he said. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa vs Australia live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score coverage...
tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181