The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Fui Fui Obstruction

slip

slip

Was that a fair try that I think Sandow scored? If you look at the replay from sideline camera, it looked fine, but from behind worse than what it was. Mateo was committed to Fui. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

From behind Mateo puts both arms around Moi Moi, if that 'aint initiating contact, I don't know what is. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

I thought, good try, and was quite pleased for Sandow, but the ref is always right. Unless it is a Rorters game. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I didn't think there was enough evidence to take the try away.
One camera angle it seems he was in a good position to take the ball but the other looked different.
Neither had a direct view of the incident where you could 100% tell if he was behind Moimoi when he received the ball so I guess it had to go to ref's call (don't know what it originally was - I assume no try).

It did seem that Mateo was never any chance of even trying to tackle Sandow which is the annoying thing.
He chose to move up on Moimoi and even wrap him up leaving the massive gap for Sandow. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

If Sandow is tackled 1m short of the line, no ref would call a penalty for obstruction with that play unfolding the way it did. 
professional

professional

I think the try was disallowed because Sandow ran behind Moimoi. From memory, Sandow received the ball near Moimoi's inside shoulder and then ran around him into the gap on the outside of Mateo.

Still, I think it was a BS call. It wasn't your typical obstruction where the ball carrier runs behind a decoy and Moimoi defintely didn't initiate contact. It was a simple misread from Mateo and he should be buying the video ref dinner as a thank-you. 
slip

slip

Don't the rules state you can't take out a player from the defense and you also can't run behind your own player with the ball. In that case no try, but didn't Mateo tackle Fui, therefore try if Sandow didn't run behind Fui. FFS, this rule is complicated to understand. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

A little common sense wouldn't go astray.
Sandow looked to be deep enough behind Fui for it not to make a difference, but the refs saw it differently.
What were the commentators saying during the coverage? 
slip

slip

I listened to the game on the radio with Blocker and co and all 3 were saying try, but said it will most likely not be given based on other no try decisions and the way video ref's interpret the rules. 
professional

professional

Worthwhile noting that the on-field referee didn't think it was a try either. He called "no try" and referred it upstairs, so it wasn't just the VR who thought it was obstruction. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Fair enough.
As I said I didn't think there was enough evidence to overturn the on-field ref's decision.

I still think it was 50/50. 
Hasler

Hasler

warriors defenders initiated contact, 1000 percent TRY 
bandwagon

bandwagon

The new way the VR is adjudicating this means he must be certain that the on field ref is incorrect in his call in order to over turn it, otherwise the decision stands.

We will not see too many calls overturned, unless it is glaringly obvious the on field ref has erred. 
professional

professional

I know, it is just worth remembering that in this situation it wasn't just the VR who saw it as no try.

The on-field referee was of the same opinion, so regardless of the fact that we think it should be a try, it is important to note that the two people in the stadium who probably have the best understanding of the rules thought it wasn't a try.

I like the new system better overall. Even if I do think it should have been a try. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

still got at least 23 matches to hear what decisions were wrong for this season :lol: 
bandwagon

bandwagon

My point was more that the VR didn't necessarily believe it was a no try, we haven't completely removed "benefit of the doubt" the benefit now lies with the on field ref's decision, in as much as if there is any doubt in that the decision should be over turned, it is not.

I should add I do prefer it this way so far. 
Eels

Eels

The Fox reporters thought it was a try. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168