The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Trial: Vodafone Warriors 18, Penrith 32

TerryG

TerryG

It should be about full time now, so I wonder how that went.

Based on last year's effort...

Lachlan Coote is a far better fullback than Kevin Locke. Coote is in the top 10% of NRL players for kick return metres and total metres gained. He even kicked 2 4020s. If Coote has a weakness, it's his tackling.

Bill Tupou contributes high ruck metres, but is otherwise a very very ordinary player.

Dane Neilsen is the most impressive right centre of both teams – now that Micheal Jennings is out of the picture and settling in with the Roosters.

Konrad Hurrell and Brad Tighe play at about the same level except where Hurrell leads in try scoring.

Brad Tighe's other next favoured position is left wing. Manu Vatuvei is a better left wing on points but is let down by his high error rate and is way below average in tackles where Tighe is above average.

Thomas Leuluai. Don't know what to expect here. Will the next James Maloney please stand up?

Halfback Luke Walsh is less effective than Shaun Johnson for tries, try assists and tackles breaks but Walsh has a better kicking games. Shaun has a lot of room to improve when it comes to missed tackles.

Ben Henry will be delighted to be picked at 2nd row next to Mannering.

Unlike last week, this is a near full strength team so it'll be a long season for the Warriors if they don't win this game.

I'm picking the Warriors to scrape home. 
knitey

knitey

FULL TIME

Panthers 32 def Warriors 18 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Manu Vatuvei opened the scoring but, as they did against the Gold Coast Titans last week, the Vodafone Warriors fell behind and fisnished up losing today's NRL trial 18-32 against Penrith at Waikato Stadium in Hamilton.
The Panthers led 22-4 at halftime with two tries to Lewis Brown and one each to Josh Mansour and David Simmons.
The Vodafone Warriors scored second half tries through Ngani Laumape, Kevin Locke and Glen Fisiiahi. 
TerryG

TerryG

Oh good grief :rolls:.

22-4 to Penrith 1st half and 32-18 at full time.

Well done Panthers and Ivan Cleary, especially Lewis Brown who scored when “the Panthers broke down the left side, going 60m without any of their players being touched”,

The Warriors were weak in attack, but if nobody's going to defend either the record losing streak is sure to worsen.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8314344/Warriors-go-down-to-Penrith-in-Hamilton

Hope the Knights are doing better Knitey. 
knitey

knitey

Ta Terry, I must admit I'm disappointed at todays result, I thought that the Warriors were in with a good chance, maybe Elliott was trying some different combos.
Hopefully Knights do ok tonight. 
knitey

knitey

Oops , sorry Muppett, I didn't see the game thread...can you move these posts pls....apologies. 
cgreezy

cgreezy

Gee not a good start. But based on us in the last couple of the years the trials are no telling factor for the season to come, luckily. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Ain't that the truth. 
TerryG

TerryG

Sounds good Cgreezy,

Some reasons for trials games not being a telling factor could include,
1) The coach has ten (is it?) interchanges to use up and therefore has to see how 23 players contribute to executing the plan and defence,
2) Coaches, especially new coaches, want to measure a players breath of skill by finding out how far from their preferred position they can be played (e.g. Taylor at Hooker) and still cope,
3) The result, as Knitey points out, is a huge limit on the amount of time you can spend using your best combinations effectively.

The Warriors real moment of truth will be the Eels round 1 game in three or so weeks. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

All good knitey ;) 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...
Morrisonmen - Does anyone happen to have filmed the final of the Under 10's Gordan Tallis Cup in Townsville between Wests (brisbane) and Sarina?

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168