17 Pita Godinet
18 Ben Henry 
View all 38 comments
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Dragons say Hi :) 
professional

professional

:P The Dragons do have the edge. At the start of the year I nominated the Warriors as dark horses and predicted that they'd actually make the finals - something I still believe. However, if Warriors fans want to have a sook about a player signing for another club (which happens to every single team in the NRL) and drop him accordingly, then the Dragons would have stiff competition for the wooden spoon. 
professional

professional

Would also love to see Ben Henry back in the centres. Been pushing his barrow for a while now :) 
craigcooper

craigcooper

He's on the bench, so you may get your wish. 
Evol

Evol

get off Leuluai's back. He was one of our best against Parramatta - although that isn't saying much. Don't judge him off 1-2 games.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Mara injured? 
lauriedale

lauriedale

I think Leuluai offers more out of dummy half than in the halves, put Taylor back into the back row. 
professional

professional

Leuluai offers a lot more from dummy-half. Once Friend returns to the team then he could move into the halves but atm I think it is a no-brainer to have him at hooker. 
TerryG

TerryG

Hi WP,

You might have heard SJ's brief TV interview this week in response to Kevin Locke putting his hand up to take over goal kicking duties.

“...Locke! Nah he's useless. I don't know why he shot his mouth off like that. If you think my goal kicking's hopeless, wait till you see Kevin Locke” Johnson quipped to the reporter.

It's good to see some competition for the role, but Shaun's got some ground to make up.

Michael Witt 83%:
50 from 60 in 2009 with 9 penalty goals.

James Maloney 74%:
66 from 85 in 2012 with 1 penalty and 3 field goals.
71 from 97 in 2011 with 11 penalty and 2 field goals.
61 from 83 in 2010 with 12 penalty and 2 field goals.

Kevin Locke's 1st grade kicking has 64% success:
19 from 29 in 2009 with three penalty goals. 2 from 4 in 2010.

Ben Henry has 50% so far:
2 from 4 in 2012, but his NYC goal kicking might have been better.

Shaun Johnson has 40%:
2 from 5 in 2013 based on two games so far.

My guess is that M.E will stick with Shaun for the moment. It's still early days and SJ is one of the few in the squad with enough kicking precision to land forty-twenties. Hopefully he's getting some good coaching from the other SJ (Stacey Jones) and his boot starts living up to his lip soon.:)

If some newspaper stories of this week can be believed, http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8456590/Todd-Carney-linked-with-move-to-Warriors , the issues of goal kicking and who fills number 6 would be neatly solved by M.E. signing up Todd Carney for Mt Smart...not holding my breath for this one. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

I just think it's to early in his career for the added responsibility of goal kicking. He has more immediate issues with guiding the team around the park. That should be his main aim. It's no use being a good kicker, if the team isn't scoring try's.

Since Maloney has gone, he has pretty much had to shoulder the whole responsibility of our attack. Leuluia needs time to grow into his role in the side. 
SamOwen

SamOwen

When youthful inexperience plays like a bunch of youthful inexperience and your experience 'go to players' are out of form, it sets up for a crap season all season.

Taylor as a hooker??...he just makes it hard for receivers to catch the ball!

Mateo once in a blue moon does he come around for the Warriors.

Nielsen is a basic player whos just come from the Storm who makes any decent player look fantastic. 
SamOwen

SamOwen

Hurrell finishes off a backline move that scores him a try (probably due to the Sharks complacency) and blows a kiss to the cameras as if it was individual brilliance, to compound the problem, they're losing by 28 points and he himself has missed a few tackles in this game alone. Hes probably the worst defender in the team. Hes a very good attacker but if you're seeing more of how bad a defender he is then what we should be seeing him, then I think its time Elliot drops him. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

They are playing like a team badly out of confidence and form. They start off okay, but there heads seem to drop if they make a few early mistakes. They are desperately in need of a win. With the sides they play over the next several weeks, it might not happen any time soon. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

not to be heavy but I doubt Elliott is the right person to get them out of this funk look at his record as Penrith coach (Lang had way better results) 
professional

professional

What is the dealio with Sam Rapira? Was he injured? 
craigcooper

craigcooper

I heard nothing before kick off. Not sure what the story was. Would think it would have to be some kind of injury as his experience could have been useful out there today. 
SamOwen

SamOwen

Elliot doesnt have his work cut for him, he has to do that first then he has his work cut for him 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Cronulla was too strong for an undermanned Vodafone Warriors side as it triumphed 28-4 in Sundayís third-round NRL http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/NRL-Vodafone-Warriors-4-Cronulla-28/70707# match at Sharks Stadium in Sydney.
Playing in soaring temperatures, the Vodafone Warriors were without two players from the side originally selected, experienced front rower Sam Rapira out with a hand injury and winger Glen Fisiiahi at home with his family following his sisterís death.
With Rapira joining fellow front rowers Russell Packer, Sione Lousi, Sam Lousi and Charlie Gubb on the injured list, the propping resources were further depleted when Steve Rapiraís match was ended after only a few minutes. He was forced off with an ugly ear wound which will require plastic surgery to repair.
It also meant Vodafone Warriors head coach Matthew Elliott had to throw Jacob Lillyman into the fray much earlier than planned.
Despite diminished resources there was reason for optimism when halfback Shaun Johnson reeled off not just one but two 40/20s within a few minutes, giving him three for the season after his career-first 40/20 at Eden Park last weekend.
But it was the Sharks who would set the tone in trying conditions they appeared to find easier to cope with than the Vodafone Warriors.
Soon enough they were 6-0 ahead via a ninth-minute John Morris try and Michael Gordonís conversion. They had much going for them from then on yet, despite more possession and a favourable 4-1 penalty count, they remained just six http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/NRL-Vodafone-Warriors-4-Cronulla-28/70707# points in front with halftime not too far away.
It didnít last with the Sharks organising further tries to fullback Gordon and winger Beau Ryan in the last six minutes of the half to take an 18-0 advantage into a break from a furnace-like conditions.
By halftime Lillyman had already made 20 tackles with Cronulla in the ascendancy in all key areas.
The second half mission was to stem the flow of points but as early as the 45th minute the Sharks were in for their fourth try, Sam Tagataese scoring from long range up the middle of the park. Gordonís conversion made in 24-0 with the omens not looking too good.
However, for the best part of 30 minutes the Vodafone Warriors dug in and kept turning Cronulla away (with the video referee also helping on occasion).
Interchange dummy half Pita Godinet sneaked across, too, but had a would-be try rubbed out when the video officials found he had lost control right on the line.
It wasnít until the 71st minute that Cronulla scored again and then, with the score reading 28-0, the Vodafone Warriors had their only try-scoring joy as centre Konrad Hurrell crossed for his first touchdown of the season wide out.
Lillyman (43 tackles) and loose forward Todd Lowrie (40) had heavy workloads on defence. Debutant winger Ngani Laumape (19) had plenty of http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/NRL-Vodafone-Warriors-4-Cronulla-28/70707# work with the ball, making 111 metres from 13 runs.
The injury toll continues to mount, the list now reading Sam and Steve Rapira, Russell Packer, Charlie Gubb, Sione and Sam Lousi, Manu Vatuvei, Nathan Friend, Jerome Ropati, Harry Siejka, Carlos Tuimavave and Alehana Mara.
The Vodafone Warriors arrive back in Auckland tomorrow afternoon facing nine days before their next match against North Queensland on Easter Monday (April 1). The match, kicking off at 6.00pm, is their first of the season at Mount Smart Stadium, part of a triple header starting with the Auckland Vulcans taking on the Windsor Wolves in the New South Wales Cup (1.35pm), the Vodafone Junior Warriors meeting the young Cowboys in the NYC (3.45pm) and the NRL sides facing off in the third match of the day.

Match details:
At Sharks Stadium, Cronulla
Cronulla Sharks 28 (John Morris, Michael Gordon, Beau Ryan, Sam Tagataese, Jeff Robson tries; Michael Gordon 4 conversions).
Vodafone Junior Warriors 4 (Konrad Hurrell try).
Halftime: 18-0.
Referees: Adam Devcich and Henry Perenara.
Vodafone Warriors: Kevin Locke; Ngani Laumape, Konrad Hurrell, Dane Nielsen, Bill Tupou; Thomas Leuluai, Shaun Johnson; Steve Rapira, Elijah Taylor, Ben Matulino; Ben Henry, Simon Mannering (c); Todd Lowrie. Interchange: Jacob Lillyman, Feleti Mateo, Sebastine Ikahihifo, Pita Godinet. 
knitey

knitey

I haven't seen the full match replay yet, just highlights, but I was disappointed when I saw the final result.

Have the Warriors improved in any area? 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Well after a very poor effort in the first half, the score could have ended up a real blow out. Whilst they were never going to come back from 18-0 down, they did show some spine in the decond half. Score was 10-4, when they could have easily put 40 on us. Other than that, no not really. 
warriorpoet

warriorpoet

as much as i like simon mannering as a player, he isn't leading as a captain should and is making uncharacteristic mistakes... just throwing this out there, is it time to start looking at a new captain, either within the club or from outside? (and no i don't have any idea who could replace him!)... bringing in a captain from outside has worked before, remember steve price
Strangely with the success that the junior warriors have had since the nyc began, one thing i think that has caught us out is lack of depth, manu is the only first grade quality winger we have, (as shown with laumape's selection... who else do we have, fish is far from first grade quality and tupou goes missing), friend gets injured and we have no one to replace him with, we lose a centre or second rower and we don't have any quality players to replace them. We have a squad of 30 and we don't have a recognised goalkicker amongst them! Most importantly the players don't seem to want to play for each other!
I don't think it's matt elliotts fault, he has inherited a team that was built by poor selection policies. We have signed the wrong juniors... seluini and s.likiliki (among others) should have been kept. If we lose someone like havili i will be seriously pissed! (just look at the stats from laumape from the weekend http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/NRL-Just-the-stats/70781 ) We have had juniors that could have improved the team (we always have... nigel vagana was a warrior junior remember) but we don't keep the good ones. fisiiahi, ikihihifo, taukeiaho, j.palavi and the lousi's are players that i cannot see being in warriors colours past there current contracts... we do need to bring in new players (maybe bring back some juniors we've lost). With the number of players off contract this year hopefully the 2014 warriors look a bit different! 
TerryG

TerryG

True.

Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah has often defended Mannering as “the captain who got us to the 2011 GF”.

Well Wayne, it was a vastly different team then. There was much more experience around and in some cases a lot more experience than Mannering has (e.g. Hohia, Luck and even the flukish Inu). Everyone knew and did their job without having the captain in their face. The same can't be said for the baby Warriors and yet Mannering hasn't adapted his level of on-field input.

Can't see the newly reappointed Mannering being replaced, so he'll have to change his ways to spark the new Warriors into defending. If not, the upcoming NQL and Souths games will mean 0 wins from 5 games for the season and the 'for and against' in triple digit negative . 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Mannering is not going to be replaced, he has already been appointed as Kiwis captain as well 
professional

professional

When is Nathan Friend back? 
TerryG

TerryG

Round 4....unless the team medic wants to horrify everyone with another late diagnosis of more surgery. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Quite disappointing that the judiciary panel on placed a grade 1 charge on Ben Ross for Knee lifting in the tackle by Rapira. He pleaded guilty and will serve no suspension. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Preliminary FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181