The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013 Federal Election

BuckinBronco

BuckinBronco

Damn, I wrote a long response but lost it.....

one mans bias is another mans fact. We're all grown ups (except Greens supporters:)) so we should be able to separate the bias from fact when reading News Ltd stuff just as we should be able to when watching the ABC, SKY or reading the SMH or The Age or a press release from a pollie. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Exactly I read both Fairfax and News Ltd and form my own opinion. I am not some drone :lol: 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Honestly I believe a lot are either apathetic or stupid, or a combination of both, and I'll throw in just plain lazy.

Mostly apathetic, but it's difficult not to be, given the current state of play, much of the blame for which can be dumped on the media. 
professional

professional

I think compulsory voting is a fantastic idea. I really think more countries around the world should follow Australia in that regard. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Thinking about the two states. Which was worse the nsw state election wipeout or the qld one.

Could state issues from the previous labor state governments be used against federal labor? 
BuckinBronco

BuckinBronco

Qld was worse for labor. They were left with just 7 seats out of the 89 seat parliament. It was the worst ever result in any state election. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Just when you said NSW holds the key for the Federal Election.

Was wondering was it from NSW having a worse massacre or more the performances of the coalition state governments that was all. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Labour are expected to pick up a few seats in Qld, they lost quite a few there last time round.

They polled ok in Nsw, last time, but western Sydney has become so marginal, where it used to be Labour heartland. Though not really all that different from the working class suburbs of any capitol city, there are simply more seats up for grabs.

Kev won over the Howard Battlers, but Jools hasn't been able to hang on to them. 
BuckinBronco

BuckinBronco

I wonder if Julia's 5 night sleep over will help or hinder. I suspect it will be a case a guest over staying their welcome. 
zepha75

zepha75

I heard she's paying for her accommodation and the staffers have to pay also, but being cynical, it will be tax refund in July/August :lol: 
SeverancePop

SeverancePop

I think Julia's biggest issue is She is a woman. John Howard softened us up for lying Politicians with his "non core promises" and Tony Abbott has followed his lead with his "Gospel Truth". Gillard tells a couple of lies and she can't shake it. Those lies have dogged her entire leadership.

Rudd needs to take over if the ALP has any chance of holding on to office but the party is afraid of the reprisals and revenge that Rudd will dish out.

Myself I will vote for Darryl Briskey, the ALP candidate for Bowman. Laming is an idiot who is more interested in his own personal ambitions rather than the needs of his electorate and needs to go 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I think the problem is not Julie but Labor itself. This is especially the case in NSW where the state labor was so corrupt and incompetent many people won't forget anytime soon. These issues may come to play in federal election especially the ongoing obeid scandal.

The fact is Labor has been on the nose in Western Sydney for a while and the residents won't need much to step up to plate and hit them for 6. 
professional

professional

No way. I didn't mind Rudd and actually really liked most of his policies but his reputation is just too tarnished these days. Whether he would be the best leader or not doesn't matter because the Opposition would have a field day if he returned.

tbh I think Bill Shorten would be the best bet for Labor. He is intelligent and despite coming from the Unions he doesn't seem to be a very aggressive or militant politician. His demeanour during the dispute with Qantas was very concillatory and impressed me a lot. Unfortunately it is a highly unlikely scenario since Shorten is one of Gillard's key supporters. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Did you watch him on Q&A last night?

I don't think the bloke is anywhere near ruthless enough to attain leadership,

Just a genuine stand up bloke who would it seems put his heart into what he does, and certainly not lacking anything upstairs either. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

And to add his performance at Beaconsfeild whilst a union heavy weight was nothing short of exemplary. 
professional

professional

Didn't realise he was on, I probably would have watched it if I had known.

I do agree on the second point though and it is very disappointing that it is true. I can't understand how political parties (and voters) feel that it is a good idea to have a party's attack dog as their leader. Gillard and Abbott should be there for a snappy sound bite but not leadership. However, culturally people seem to have adjusted and now want pugnacious, rigid individuals as leaders rather than someone who is intelligent and willing to comprimise.

It would be great as a voter if we lived in an alternate universe where Turnbull, Shorten or even Nelson were leaders. Instead I feel like becoming an Australian citizen so I could vote was almost a waste. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

If Rudd takes over from Gillard it might be enough to change my mind and vote for labor.. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

I don't really think it a voter preference, though admittedly compromise is generally viewed / portrayed as being weak.

It's just a fact that to attain leadership in either major party means deposing the leader and neutralising other potential candidates, it's a rather dirty business. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Rudd is not a patch on Gillard. 
Morkel

Morkel

Still don't know why they don't put Turnbull out front. Landslide win if they do. All I'll say is that it's bad enough that my tax money is being p!ssed away on ill-thought out, short term band-aids or trends. But to borrow money from overseas to do it, money that we all have to pay back, with interest, is just so dumb that I can't believe anyone would vote Labor. Except Les - he's paid all his taxes and likes 'free' things like multi-million dollar school halls for his youngins ;) 
professional

professional

Almost all countries borrow heavily from overseas. By comparison Australia has got a very manageable debt. Go anywhere in North America or Europe and you'll appreicate how lucky Australians are with the current situation :). The talk of debt, deficits and borrowing is blown out of proportion. 
Morkel

Morkel

But it shouldn't be borrowed when it doesn't need to be. It's like buying a big screen TV on credit because all of your savings go towards buffets at the Sheraton. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

are you talking about the local riff-raff again? :lol: 
professional

professional

What parts of the government expenditure do you strongly disagree with? Apart from the NBN I don't think they've been unwise in their spending. I've generally been of the opinion that the government has been cutting costs too much in areas such as health and education.

Ed: From Crikey

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/02/13/myth-of-coalition-govts-howard-the-biggest-spender-of-all/ 
Morkel

Morkel

Please don't get me started on the genius little schemes, in fact the entire move to shift wealth (and therefore power) to a particular bend of influence, the sort of people who care little for economy or viability. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168