The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Wyong team news...nsw cup

knitey

knitey

Wyong and Wests are apparently arguing over who will have Steve Gordon next year.

Apparently as many as 60 players will be trialling with Wyong today. I'd go down and have a look if i wasn't working.

Wyong have said they are not chasing players from the real NRL but players are free to trial if they choose too.

My opinion is that real NRL sides would be on a beating to nothing if they tried to hold players back from signing for a NSW cup side. This is a pathway to the NRL and probably a last chance for many guys, and stopping guys having that chance would just foster massive ill will. 
MrChook

MrChook

I'm working as well, would've loved to pop up there and seen who turned up to trial. Would've been good to catch up with some old mates for a beer or three as well. 
MadGoanna

MadGoanna

By JOSH LEESON Nov. 10, 2012, 4 a.m.
[LIST]
[*] http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-CAN5CAhus5tnnETRT6c7n6/f1d8eb25-2a24-4fba-a784-2af92c4a89f8.jpg CONFUSION: Steve Gordon celebrates. Picture: Ryan Osland
[/LIST]
WESTERN Suburbs and the Wyong Roos are at odds over the services of NSW Country centre Steve Gordon.Wyong football manager Matt Lavin announced in a television report on Thursday night that Gordon had agreed to join the Roos as part of their build-up for the NSW Cup next season.
Last month the Roos decided to leave the Newcastle Rugby League and join the NSW Cup.
Wests coach Craig Miller said yesterday that Gordon would be part of their premiership defence next season.
‘‘I’ve spoken to Steve Gordon this morning and he’s very disappointed in the announcement by Wyong and has assured me his contract to Wests next season is watertight and he has no intentions of breaking his contract,’’ Miller said.
Lavin was adamant that Gordon would be at Wyong.
‘‘As far as I know he’s agreed to terms and that’s it,’’ Lavin said. ‘‘He hasn’t signed a contract, which is true, but he has agreed to terms on Thursday with [Wyong coach] Paul [Stringer]. We have a contract ready for him to sign.’’
The Roos are hosting a trial today at Morry Breen Oval from 4pm to recruit for their NSW Cup campaign.
About 60 players have registered to trial for 20 to 25 spots, and more are expected on the day. There was speculation more Rosellas could be involved in the trial, but most of the squad are in Melbourne on an end-of-season trip.
Despite showing interest in Gordon, Lavin said Wyong did not plan to poach other Newcastle Rugby League footballers.
‘‘We’re not chasing anybody from the Newcastle comp,’’ he said. ‘‘By all means if they’re interested in trialling or thinking they are at NSW Cup level, then they can get in contact with us.
‘‘But not for one minute are we chasing any of the players.’’
The Roos have retained second-rower Jay Florimo and lured hooker Mitch Williams and back-rower Shaun Boss back to the club.
Williams won the Knights player of the year and players’ player in the NSW Cup this season, but the pint-sized dummy-half believed there was more opportunity at the Roos.
‘‘I had a good year but the opportunity came to be at the start of something,’’ he said.
‘‘I liked what Stringer had to say about it and I thought it would be best for me at the time.’’
Williams said there was an offer to remain at the Knights but no room for advancement into the NRL.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/929554/wests-and-wyong-at-odds-over-centre/?cs=306 http://www.theherald.com.au/story/92...centre/?cs=306 
knitey

knitey

Daine Laurie has signed with Wyong.

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2013/01/29/roos-ready-for-trials-with-new-recruits/ http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/...-new-recruits/

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the squad:

Matt Nelson
Grant Nelson
Steve Naughton
Coedi Towney
Kieren Gallagher
Todd Lewis
Mitch Williams
Simon Hawthorne
Kene Te-Whata
Shaun Boss
Jay Florimo
Kurt Foggo
Todd Wilson
Harley Bateup
Joel Patterson
Justin Toomey-White
Jayson MacKenzie
Clay McArthur
Corey Stanley
Allen Mulia Malau
Arthur Brown
Chase Mason
Daine Laurie
Etu Uaisele
Leivaha Pulu
Harris Moelasi

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=67525&title=wyong-prepare-to-take-the-plunge http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx...ake-the-plunge 
knitey

knitey

2013 Draw

2013 TRIAL GAMES

VB NSW CUP

Saturday 9th February, 2013

Wyong -v- North Sydney

6.00pm @ Morry Breen Oval

Saturday 16th February, 2013

Wyong -v- Canberra Raiders

6.30pm @ Cook Park, Cnr Humphries & Cabramatta Road,

Mt Pritchard

Saturday 23rd February, 2013

Wyong -v- Cronulla Sharks

3.00pm @ Toyota Stadium 
MrChook

MrChook

I posted this in the NSW Cup thread so I'd thought I should cut n paste to here...

Another Wyong signing. Ronny Alovili - Former Aust. Schoolboy Prop. Played Toyota Cup for Titans & Cowboys 
knitey

knitey

I've heard that Dane Laurie has injured his knee?

Any news at your end? 
MrChook

MrChook

Haven't heard that. Last I read in an interview from Stringer was that Laurie had trimmed down to a good playing weight and is rearing to go. Would be a shame if we lost him before we've even begun.

The Stringer interview if your interested....
http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=67525

Its a bit out of date now considering Orford has already gone. 
MrChook

MrChook

Canberra Raiders defeated Wyong/Mounties 40-8 tonight. The game was played over 4 x 30 minute quarters. Wyong played the first two quarters against a full strength Raiders side. We were gallant in defeat, losing 28-0. Mounties played the second half against the up and coming youngsters coming throught the Raiders ranks and narrowly lost 12-8.

Former Knight Joel Edwards was apparently a beast in defence. Brett White also made a successful return from a knee reconstruction getting through his first game since Round 5 last year. Edrick Lee was dangerous all night, one to keep an eye on in 2013. 
knitey

knitey

Team to play the Knights

Wyong Roos: 1. Grant Nelson 2. Arthur Brown 3. Jayson Mackenzie 4. Etu Uaisele 5. Allen Mulia Malau 6. Brad Murray 7. Todd Lewis 8. Kene Te-Whata 9. Mitch Williams 10. Shaun Boss 11. Todd Wilson 12. Jay Florimo 13. Joel Patterson
Interchange: 14. Junior Tia-Kilifi 15. Leivaha Pulu 16. Ronnie Alovili 17. Brock Molan 20. Matt Nelson

Newcastle Knights: Kevin naiqama, josh mantalato, pete matautia, Marvin filipo, winger, will smith, aj Davis, korbin sims, chris Adams, Mitch frei, dave faalogo, zane Tetevano, Adam cuthbertson, chad Redman, Toka liki liki, ben tupou, Dylan smith. Randall in for smith if injured, Marv in centres for Quinn. 
knitey

knitey

FULL TIME

Knights 36 (K.Naiqama 2, M.Filipo, P.Mata'utia, A.Davis, J.Mantellato tries; J.Mantellato 6/6 goals)

Roos 24 (E.Uaisele 2, A.Brown, J.MacKenzie, B.Murray tries; B.Murray 2/5 goals) 
MrChook

MrChook

Thanks Knitey. Haven't seen a match review yet but at least it looks like we were competitive which is encouraging. 
knitey

knitey

On another site a guy who was at the game said that the Roos were more than competitive, and that their 2nd half was very strong.

I'll post a match report when I can find it. 
knitey

knitey

Full Time in http://twitter.com/search?q=%23VBNSWCUP #VBNSWCUP with Wyong producing a fantastic 2nd half but the Knights lead was too good. Final score: Knights 36 def Wyong 24. 
knitey

knitey

[h=1]Knights defeat Wyong Roos[/h]

Sunday 10 March 2013 5:04 PM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00062097-leadimage.jpg
The Newcastle Knights are off to a promising start in 2013, defeating new rivals the Wyong Roos 36-20 at Morrie Breen Oval on Sunday.
The Knights dominated early in the first half, with Cuthbertson demonstrating plenty of leg spread to send Mata’utia over, 6-0.
It didn’t take long for the red and blue to cross for their second, this time through half back Davies.
Mantellato added the extras, 12-0.
An impressive team effort saw the ball spread to the right and in to the hands of Mantellato who converted his own from the sideline, 18-0.
The Roos hit back with a try through Brown. Murray missed the conversion from out wide, 18-4.
An unstoppable Naiqama ran on his own to score his team’s 4th try of the match and extend the lead by 20-points.
With less than 5 minutes left in the first half, late inclusion Fa’alogo threw a nice pass to Naiqama who crossed for his second in as many minutes, 28-4.
Mantellato continued to find success off the boot, converting his fifth of the match, 30-4.
A fired up Wyong Roos came in to the second half with a point to prove and it didn’t take them long to capitalise on mistakes made by Newcastle, 30-8.
Poor judgement in back play, handed Murray a try and the Roos their third of the match, 30-12.
Murray converted his own try, 30-14.
With the crowd on their side, the Roos managed to close the gap by 10-points, through Uaisele, 30-20.
With the Roos coming home strongly, the Knights had to fight hard to keep the lead.
After a scoreless second half, Filipo showed great skill in getting the ball down to give the red and blue something to celebrate, 36-20.
With just under a minute left in the game Uaisele crossed for his second to finalise the full time score at 36-24.
Knights 36 (T: Mata’utia, Mantellato, Naiqama 2, Davis, Filipo. G: Mantellato 6/6)
Roos 24 (T: Brown, Murray, Mackenzie, Uaisele 2. G: Murray 2/5) 
knitey

knitey

Excellent Mr C, where did you score those from? 
MrChook

MrChook

Wyong Roos website photo gallery. There's some great action shots there, hope they employ the same photographer each week. I'll be keeping an eye out for more each round and post 'em up. 
MrChook

MrChook

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2013/03/11/knights-nsw-cup-beat-wyong-in-round-one/

A short highlights video of the Rnd 1 clash. Nice to see Wayne Bennett visit my old stomping ground. 
MrChook

MrChook

RND 2 PICS - WYONG V WENTY MAGPIES

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000DDupycSwoPY/s/550/WW170313025.jpg

Arthur Brown gets pushed into touch attempting to score.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000mMIbVGQxQkc/s/550/WW170313004.jpg

Jake Mullany v Etu Uaisele for the high ball

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000_cr3A8HZEqQ/s/550/WW170313014.jpg

Jay Florimo tries to step Dean Parata 
MrChook

MrChook

Round 2 of the VB NSW Cup saw Wyong Roos travel away for the first time to play last start winners WentworthvilleMagpies.The Roos were hoping for a much better start than their first half against the Knights last week; to better control the rucksand limit the leakage of points.Whilst the Roos grabbed good field position early, their attack was too lateral to seriously threaten the Magpies line. Whenthe Magpies had the ball, rangy lock, Pat O’Hanlon, targeted the smaller Wyong defenders, and with his left arm carry,unloaded to create good second phase play that had the Roos scrambling.Roos five eighth Brad Murray put Jay Florimo into fresh air behind the Wenty defensive line, using the same play thatopened up the Knights in the opening minutes in Round 1. Again the Wyong supports were absent and Flo was grassedshort of the line. The Roos secured a repeat set from an in goal grubber, but could not double it up from the ensuing set ofsix.Wenty worked the ball upfield. The Roos had trouble containing the Magpies forwards, particularly front row TaulimaTautai, who was surging into the Roos line, disengaging from defenders, offloading to close following supports or passingto wider men.At the 9 minute mark, Wenty quickly shifted the ball through several sets to get on the outside of a compressed Roos line.Fullback Jake Mullaney raced clear and scored in the corner with his opposite, Grant Nelson, wrapped around his legs.Mullaney did not convert his try. Wenty 4 - Wyong 0.The Roos struck back 3 minutes later. Brad Murray at first receiver passed to Flo, who split the A and B defenders toscore a relatively soft try. Murray missed the conversion. Wenty 4 - Wyong 4.The Magpies pressured the Wyong line after the Roos twice knocked the ball down whilst defending. Hooker Dean Paratalooked certain to score but lost the ball as he surged from dummy half.Big runs from Ronnie Alovilli and Arthur Brown helped the Roos move the ball into the opposition half. Wenty were thencaught off side from Murray’s midfield bomb, and the next set saw Joel Patterson split the A and B defenders, and scoreadjacent to the posts. Murray converted. Wenty 4 – Wyong 10.The Roos next set from the restart was outstanding. The forwards ripped in, and quick play the balls had the Magpiesback pedalling. Grant Nelson caught a towering Josh Lewis kick, and in virtually one motion flicked the ball back to AllenMulia. The defence swarmed Mulia and killed the play, but the Roos had travelled 70m in the set.At 25 minutes Wenty again found the Roos left side defence slow to adjust, and created an overlap for centre John Pepato race clear and score. Mullaney missed the conversion. Wenty 8 – Wyong 10.The Roos struck back 7 mins later. Murray again took the ball at first receiver and spotted space wide on the right.Murray’s long pass was touched mid-flight by one of the Wenty defenders, and the ball lobbed invitingly for Arthur Brownto regather and score unopposed in the corner. Murray missed the conversion. Wenty 8 – Wyong 14.Late in the first half the Roos attempted a trick shot from dummy half, down the short side close to the Wenty line. Thedefence misread the play, but received a penalty for obstruction when the Roos appeared certain to score.The scores were unchanged at half time. The Roos had completed 16 of their 17 sets and had missed only 11 tackles.During the break, Coach Stringer urged the Roos to refocus on defence. He told the Roos; “keep talking and moving indefence; keep your feet underneath you.” String was particularly critical of the left edge defenders tackling around thelegs, not locking up the ball, and allowing too many off loads.Wenty fed a scrum early in the second half, and a missed tackle by the Roos resulted in Mullaney scoring his second try.Mullaney converted and the scores were locked at 14 all.Lorenzo Ma-afu and Peni Terepo had started the second half for the Magpies, and their vigorous and aggressive defencewas dominating the Roos. Wenty went close to scoring again, but the try was disallowed for a double movement.Fourteen minutes into the second half, Mitch Williams scooted the short side from dummy half. The Wenty defencecompressed leaving Allen Mulia unmarked. Williams hit Mulia with a long ball at pace. Once behind the defensive lineMulia kicked infield. Replacement forward Todd Wilson grounded the ball as it rolled in goal. Murray converted the try.Wenty 14 – Wyong 20.Four minutes later Jon Pepa broke a Grant Nelson tackle and sent his centre partner Brayden Williame to the line.Mullaney failed to convert. Wenty 18 – Wyong 20.Minutes later Mullaney isolated and stepped around a defender, and despite the attention of Grant Nelson, crashed overto score. Captain Api Pewhairangi converted. Wenty 24 – Wyong 20.Wyong received a penalty for a lifting tackle on Shaun Boss, and in the melee that followed, Ma-afu lashed out with hisfeet. Referee Lawrence McDonnell had no hesitation sending him for an early shower.The send off galvanised the Magpies. Half Brendan Walters scored on the end of some spirited forward play. Pewhairangimissed the conversion. Wenty 28 – Wyong 20.Nine minutes out from full time the Roos received back to back penalties, the second cleverly drawn by Williams as heenticed an off side marker to engage. Murray saw Arthur Brown in space on the right touch line and kicked cross field forBrown to catch and score. Murray failed to convert. Wenty 28 – Wyong 24.The clock was a problem for the Roos despite having an advantage in numbers. Sensing something special was neededto breach a motivated Wenty defence, Murray kicked short for Nelson to regather on the full. The movement cameto nothing when Lewis kicked dead. From Wyong’s next set Murray took on the line, stepped through and passed toWilliams in support. The movement broke down when Lewis tried to volley Williams’ pass with his foot.Magpies winger Semi Radrada put the match beyond doubt when he sprinted down the left hand touch line to score,leaving the cover with no chance. Mullaney converted. Final score Wenty 34 – Wyong 24.Tautai was outstanding for Wentworthville, and well earned his second straight man of the match award. He repeatedlytore into the defensive line, shrugged off defenders and laid the ball back to supports. When the play demanded he shiftthe ball wide, he did so.Williams was again best for the Roos, and received his second straight players’ player award.String was disappointed with the defensive effort; “if you score 24 points, at this level you should be able to defend thosepoints. That should be enough to win. D is all about attitude. And it wasn’t there.”The Roos will still be looking for their first win when they play Windsor Wolves 3pm next Sunday at the Morry Breencomplex Kanwal. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

TheSportDoctor - I like the concept of the draft. It would even the competition out and allow hope for those teams who are really bad each year. I know th...
ALX21 - Law-Cobbo, Turnbull, Dixon, Nagas and Conway were the best for the Probables, while Renouf, Burns, Cox, Simpson, Trindall, Fifita and McC...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181