17 Jesse Sene-Lafao
20 Tom Symonds 
knitey

knitey

Newcastle Knights bid for rare win at Manly Sea Eagles' nest

By Barry Toohey

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/03/16/1226598/887402-kurt-gidley.jpg
Knights skipper Kurt Gidley.

THEIR record stands at a dismal two wins from 13 appearances at Brookvale Oval, with several of their players having never tasted success there against the Sea Eagles.

But Newcastle skipper Kurt Gidley claims he has never felt better equipped to handle the challenge facing his side.

"I can't remember the last time I played there let alone won," Gidley said.

"But none of that sort of thing means a whole lot.

"We just need to go out there and play well.

"We have a good balance of experienced players. Players who have played under tough conditions with tough crowds.

"We'll handle it better than we probably have in the past." Gidley maintains his side's focus will again be on getting the fundamentals right. In 80 minutes against the Wests Tigers last week, the Knights did not make a single mistake with the ball in their own half.

It was that discipline which allowed them to keep mounting pressure on the Tigers.

"We are going to need that again against Manly," he said.

"We just need to improve a little bit on some things but do the same fundamentals. Get them right and that will give us a real good chance."

Gidley doesn't hide his respect for the Manly team.

"Along with Melbourne, they have been the yardstick over the past five years," he said. "Success in the comp is about putting back-to-back performances together. That's what the best teams do.

"Teams like Manly and Melbourne - they are consistently good and string three, four, five good games together.

"That's where we need to get to. I can't remember the last time we won three or four games in a row. Right now though, I would just settle for two wins in a row."

The Knights will go in with the same 17 who accounted for the Tigers so easily.

Winger James McManus, one of the Knights' players never to have won at Brookie, says there is an air of quiet confidence in the camp.

McManus bagged two tries against the Tigers, while fellow winger Akuila Uate celebrated his new deal at the club with a stylish hat-trick. There were fears classy five-eighth Jarrod Mullen broke his hand against the Tigers but he has been cleared to play tonight.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/newcastle-knights-bid-for-rare-win-at-manly-sea-eagles-nest/story-e6frexnr-1226598888125
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/newcastle-knights-bid-for-rare-win-at-manly-sea-eagles-nest/story-e6frexnr-1226598888125 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226598888125 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Really looking forward to this one knitey. This should be a cracker. 
knitey

knitey

Same here Muppett, we could be in with a chance this year to score a win a Brookie, if the boys play as well as they did last week it should be a highly entertaining and close game.....can't wait. 
zepha75

zepha75

Actually, I thought about with commonsense and I picked Manly :D even though I had picked the Knights beforehand. One good decision I had yesterday to back Manly at Brookie. ;) 
knitey

knitey

What a Parra fan going for the Sea Budgies??????........disgraceful, hang your head in shame.:eek: 
zepha75

zepha75

Well, sterlo when he was young, he use to follow Manly ;) I realise it's disgraceful for me doing that, but sometimes you have to make hard decisions. I despise Watmough and they still pick him ion SOS and Australian sides, even though he gives away a lot of penalties in the play the ball infringements...he does it all the time. BUT, they still pick him...MORON selectors! 
knitey

knitey

Again the Brookie hoodoo strikes the Knights....as well as a pumped up Budgies side, who completely outplayed the boys from kick off to final whistle.

Our lack of decent halves was once again evident, as "traitor" Johns input and guidance was evident in the Budgies halves. Gidley had an awful game, and was lucky not to have had a couple of his team mates injured with his hospital passes.

Losing Mason, Costigan and Mason to injury did not help our cause, but cannot be blamed for the loss. Watmough should have been cited for his grubby leg bend on Gagai, but won't be.

Our defence and lack of substance was the main downfall I feel, along with a Manly team who appeared united, committed and way more skillfull in all areas of the game.

I can wear a loss, it's part of the game......but fair dinkum that effort yesterday was crap, the Knights have a lot to do if they wish to be regarded as a quality footy team, Bennett must be pulling his hair out in frustration at what the boys dished up against Manly, thankfully Buderus, Tahu, BJ and Waddell will all be back in 3-4 wks. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Didn't quite live up to expectations knitey. Shame really, it could have been the match of the round. 
knitey

knitey

They own us every time at Brookie, we have only won twice there, ever.

For me, neither the game and especially the result, lived up to expectations, I thought the refereeing was the poorest I've seen so far this season and I've watched every game. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Just have to get revenge when they come to Newcastle 
knitey

knitey

We don't play them again this year......except in the unlikely event that we meet in the finals. 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Even better to do it in the finals. 
knitey

knitey

Hehe, agree, do another 97 on them........think I'll dig that game out and watch it now, makes me feel good. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Knitey I was in JB Hi-Fi today and they have classic knights Matches for sale. One of them is the Canberra match where your mob scored 70 odd. 
knitey

knitey

I should buy one......cause it ain't ever gonna happen again.:lol: 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

They are like sets the knights one has 4 matches on it. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181