chookdance

chookdance

i thought mckinnon might have got a run in the centres over quinn 
knitey

knitey

Why would you play him in the centres? 
knitey

knitey

[CENTER] Round 1 - Newcastle Knights vs Wests Tigers in 06 Days, 01 Hours, 23 Minutes and 50 Seconds.

:yay:

Wahoo Can't wait..

[/CENTER] 
knitey

knitey

[INDENT] Akuila Uate eyes new Fijian thriller Marika Koroibete

By Barry Toohey

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/03/04/1226590/255309-marika-koroibete.jpg
Many good judges regard beefed-up Tigers winger Marika Koroibete as the fastest man in the NRL.

AKUILA Uate can see a lot of himself in the Wests Tigers' Fijian wing sensation Marika Koroibete.

"I got to talk to him at a Fijian dinner we had in Sydney last weekend," Uate said. "He is very quiet. Doesn't say much. He talked Fijian more than English.

"I just wished him luck for the game and he said the same thing to me.

"I think I'll be up against him on Monday night, but I haven't thought about it too much.

"I've just been thinking about my own game and what I have to do."

The clash of the two explosive Fijian wingers will be one of the highlights of tomorrow night's showdown between the Newcastle Knights and the Tigers at Hunter Stadium.

Uate is a proven match-winner and is rated by many as the most damaging runner of the ball in the game.

Koroibete, 20, could turn out to be the heir apparent. He grabbed the headlines when he scored four tries in only his second NRL game last season.

With a full off-season under his belt, he will start 2013 six kilos heavier at 95kg after a summer spent in the gym.

He is also considered by many to be the quickest player in the game.

That all adds up to a mouth-watering match-up against Uate.

Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett has been at pains to warn his players not to get too wrapped up in all the action from the other NRL games in the opening round. He doesn't want them burnt out before tomorrow night.

Much has been made of the Knights' added muscle in the pack with the addition of noted tough guys and former premiership players Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott to the forward pack.

But while even Bennett has been gushing about the squad's trial form, it means nothing if his side don't bring their A-game against a Tigers side out to impress new coach Michael Potter.

Wests have had their own distractions in the build-up with the death of Toyota Cup star Mosese Fotuaika a week ago, which rocked the tight-knit club.

More than 100 players and officials attended his funeral in Brisbane on Thursday.

The major question mark over the Tigers centres around their forward pack and whether they can lay the type of platform superstar five-eighth Benji Marshall is going to need to work some of his old magic.

If they can crack the Knights up the middle tomorrow night, that question will be answered very quickly.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/akuila-uate-eyes-new-fijian-thriller-marika-koroibete/story-e6frexnr-1226593969650 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226593969650 [/INDENT] 
knitey

knitey

[h=1]Round 1 NRL Preview: Knights v Tigers[/h]

Thursday 7 March 2013 6:25 PM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00061899-leadimage.jpg
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS v WESTS TIGERS
Round 1, 2013 NRL Premiership
Monday, March 11, 2013
NRL Kick-Off 7:00pm, NYC Kick-Off 4:45pm
Hunter Stadium, Newcastle
Referees: Gerard Sutton/Brett Suttor
Last Time They Met
Round 16, 2012 – Newcastle Knights 38 defeated Wests Tigers 20. http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Knights/462824/Knights%20v%20Wests Watch game highlights of their clash in Round 16 in Newcastle last season.
Head-to-head - Knights 8, Wests Tigers 9.
Newcastle’s 38-20 win in Round 16 last season was the first time the Knights had beaten the Tigers since 2008.
Team Changes and Late Mail
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Knights-name-strong-Round-1-team/69256 Find all the Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights team and injury News from Tuesday and full Round 1 line-up here .
The Knights have named an extended bench but coach Wayne Bennett has the extra man on the bench is named to cover in case of injury.
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
Boyd, McManus, Gagai, Quinn, Uate, Mullen, Gidley (c), Snowden, Waddell, Mason, Scott, Houston, Smith.
[U]Bench:[/U] Roberts, Costigan, Rochow, McKinnon, Fa’alogo.
WESTS TIGERS
Moltzen, Utai, Ayshford, Lawrence, Koroibete, Marshall, Miller, Buchanan, Farah, Galloway, Anasta, Fulton, Blair.
[U]Bench:[/U] Bell, Murdoch-Masila, Thompson, Pettybourne.
[U]Bottom Line[/U]
The Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights host Wests Tigers at Hunter Stadium for their opening match of the 2013 NRL season on Monday night.
The two clubs will once again be competing for the Allan McMahon Shield, which pays tribute to inaugural Knights coach and Balmain great Allan McMahon, who passed away in 2003.
The Knights and Tigers play for the shield during their first meeting of each season and the trophy is presented to the winning captain at the end of the game.
The Knights’ won the Shield for the first time since 2006, when they defeated the Tigers 38-20 in Round 16 last season.
The additions of representative players Beau Scoot and Jeremy Smith during the off-season has significantly bolstered the Knights forward pack, while having inspirational halfback Kurt Gidley fully fit again after an injury-ravaged 2012 season is another huge boost for the club.
The Knights will be further buoyed by the re-signing of winger Akuila Uate on a four-year deal this week. As always, the Fijian flyer will pose a serious threat to the opposition defence, especially if he finds himself on the end of some slick backline play involving the likes of Gidley, Jarrod Mullen and Darius Boyd.
The Knights picked up one win and one loss from their two pre-season trial matches, but the positives signs shown in both of those hit-outs should encourage the club’s fans.
Newcastle produced an impressive defensive display to down South Sydney 18-6 in Coffs Harbour and led Cronulla for most of the match in their final pre-season hit-out before conceding three late tries after Wayne Bennett had replaced most of his starting 13.
Under new coach Mick Potter, the Tigers will be desperately looking to improve on their 10th placed finish in 2012.
They will take a new-look side with a number of fresh faces to Hunter Stadium on Monday with young halfback Jacob Miller and prop Jack Buchanan both being given an opportunity in the Tigers’ starting side.
The addition of Braith Anasta adds experience to their squad, while Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah will no doubt ask plenty of questions of the Knights’ defence with their glossy ball-playing skills.
"The Tigers always look good to me with Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah and those type of players in the side," coach Wayne Bennett told Knights Insiders this week.
"In Monday’s game, the forwards will have a big impact, as they will early in the season."
A big crowd is expected at Hunter Stadium for the clash and fans are urged to pre-purchase their tickets to secure the best available seats and avoid queues on game day. 
knitey

knitey

[CENTER] Round 1 - Newcastle Knights vs Wests Tigers in 00 Days, 11 Hours, 52 Minutes and 51 Seconds.

:yay:
[/CENTER] 
woodies

woodies

Not looking for flair in the 3/4 line with Quinn named at Centre. Expect a pinpoint and well rehearsed kicking game from the Knights with any 'flair' play coming from the contest for the ball or mistakes from the opposition.
I'm guessing it will be a solid effort to win up the middle and on the edges of the ruck. A very structured game from the Knights unless the Tigers lose the plot and start leaking like a sieve, as has been known to happen. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Still a bit of Balmain there, so, GO the Knights. 
knitey

knitey

:D:D:thumbs: 
southsport

southsport

Congrats, big win.......I think you guys are leading the comp. 
knitey

knitey

Darius Boyd......MOM.:D

Lewis are you watching?:P 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

I walked at 40 points. A bloodbath.

Bloody Kopter cam and corner cam. Will they never learn.

I have not heard one positive comment about it. 
knitey

knitey

Thanks Southsport. 
southsport

southsport

There must be some depressed tigers supporters around tonight........what was the half time score? 
knitey

knitey

Yes, Feel for them in a way, I'd be filthy if the knights had come out and given that performance.

H/T 24-6 
knitey

knitey

[h=1]Bennett pleased with first-up performance[/h]

Monday 11 March 2013 10:10 PM

Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights head coach Wayne Bennett said he was pleased with the execution shown by his side in their 42-10 mauling of Wests Tigers at Hunter Stadium on Monday night.
The Knights completed 34 of their 40 sets and had 63% of possession over the course of the match. Bennet said the score line was a reflection of the Knights discipline and ball control.
“I didn’t have any great expectations (coming into the game), except that we played well. We played well and we got some rewards,” Bennett said.
“Our ball control was really good and they were on their game tonight, which was great.
“I’ve been saying that we’ve done everything right (in the lead up to Round 1), there’s no guarantees, but we had done everything right.”
Interestingly, Bennett revealed that neither he nor his players had watched any of the weekend’s other NRL matches in the lead up to their own first round fixture.
“I haven’t watched one game (this weekend). You can kind of get brain dead by Monday night if you start watching games on Thursday,” Bennett explained.
“I asked the players not to do that and I think they’ve been pretty good, so we could get here tonight, be excited and want to be here.
“I think it worked for us and it was shown by our efforts out there.”
While Newcastle’s backline will get much of the plaudits for the manner in which they terrorised the Tigers out wide, captain Kurt Gidley paid tribute his side’s forward pack for providing the Knights with plenty of attacking impetus.
“Our game plan is for our forwards to go forward and get us on the front foot and I think they did a good job of that tonight. That gives you an opportunity to shift the ball,” Gidley said.
“There’s a lot of experience in our pack with those guys leading the way and it’s certainly good to play behind them.”
Gidley said it was particularly satisfying opening the season with a win in front of the Club’s loyal Members and supporters.
“It’s been a long off-season. I’ve missed playing at home and with the boys, so it was nice to be here playing in front of our friends and family and to get off to a good start,” he said.
“We worked extra hard this off season, we trained really well this week and it would have been a huge let down if we disappointed ourselves and our fans.
“It was a good night and it’s onto next week now.” 
knitey

knitey

[h=1]Knights open season with big win[/h]

Monday 11 March 2013 8:55 PM

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights have retained the Allan McMahon Shield after thrashing Wests Tigers 42-10 in the season opener at Hunter Stadium on Monday.
After falling behind early in the contest, the Knights ran away with the match thanks to a hat-trick from Akuila Uate and two tries each from Dane Gagai and James McManus.
The victory in front of 21,935 fans saw the Knights notch more than 40 points in a game for the first time in the Wayne Bennett era.
Newcastle gave away a cheap penalty inside the first five minutes that gave the Tigers a chance to go on the attack deep in the Knights’ half.
Late in the tackle count, Robbie Farah threw a short ball out of dummy half to an on-rushing Adam Blair.
The pass was behind Blair, but the New Zealand international was able to reach back and gather it in before spinning his way over the try-line and planting the ball down alongside the uprights.
Benji Marshall nailed the conversion from close range to give the visitors a 6-0 lead.
The Knights hit back in the 10th minute after a slice of luck saw the tackle count restarted with Newcastle on the attack 30 metres out from the Tigers’ line.
The Knights spread the ball wide, firstly through the hands of Kurt Gidley and then Boyd, before the fullback created an overlap with a pin-point cut-out pass that allowed James McManus to dive over in the corner.
Gidley pushed his sideline conversion across the face of goal and the Tigers held a 6-4.
The Knights looked to be in again in the 16th minute through another slick backline movement. On this occasion, Boyd elected to take on the Tigers’ defensive line himself and appeared to have scored in the corner, only for the video referee to adjudge him to have lost the ball.
However, the Knights didn’t have to wait too much longer for their second try of the contest, with Akuila Uate crossing in the 24th minute.
The Fijian winger collected a kick inside his own 20-metre line before slicing through the Tigers’ chasing pack and carrying the ball deep inside the visitors’ half.
On the following play, the Knights shifted the ball from one side of the field to the other, before finding Dane Gagai in space on the right edge.
Gagai drew his man before getting a pass away to Uate who showed the flexibility of a contortionist to stay in the field of play and plant the ball down inches inside the corner post. Gidley nailed the sideline conversion to give the Knights a 10-6 lead.
The Knights were in again just minutes later thanks in part to a piece of good fortune.
Jarrod Mullen’s misdirected cut-out pass to Gagai found the turf, but bounced kindly for the centre who was able to gather the ball and score 10 metres in from the Eastern touchline. Gidley once again added the extras increase the Knights’ advantage to 16-6.
The Knights made the most of some ill-discipline from the Tigers in the 33rd minute, with a Gidley penalty goal stretching the margin out to two converted tries.
Gagai notched his second four-pointer of the match in the 37th minute when he pounced on a careless pass from Matt Bell.
With 40 metres of open field ahead of him, Gagai managed to hold off Tigers speedster Marika Koroibete as he raced towards the try line and crossed for the Knights’ fourth try of the contest. Gidley’s successful conversion extended the Knights’ advantage to 24-6.
Anthony Quinn could have added a fifth right on the half-time siren, but was held up over the line by some desperate cover defence from the Tigers.
The Tigers had a golden opportunity to reduce the deficit when Robbie Farah broke through the Knights’ defensive line five minutes after the break.
Farah attempted to draw Boyd before offloading to Moltzen, but Boyd read the play perfectly and wrapped Moltzen up the instant he received the ball.
The Knights responded to the close escape almost instantly, with a long pass from Mullen finding Uate on the right wing, 20 metres out from the Tigers’ line.
Uate cut back in field and skipped past a pair of Tigers defenders before forcing his way over for his second try of the night. Gidley converted the four-pointer to give the Knights a 30-6 advantage.
Uate completed his sixth hat-trick in 91 NRL appearances for the Knights when he burrowed his way over from dummy-half in the 50th minute. Gidley pushed his conversion attempt with the Knights leading 34-6.
The Knights continued the onslaught in the 55th minute, with McManus leaping high above Matt Utai to claim Mullen’s crossfield bomb and score out wide. Gidley continued his impressive form with the boot to increase the Knights’ lead to 40-6.
Gidley added a further two points with a penalty goal with 13 minutes remaining in the contest to make it 42-6.
The Tigers were able to stem the tide during the final 20 minutes of the match and scored a late consolation try right on the full-time siren through Tim Moltzen. Marshall missed the conversion and the final score read 42-10 in favour of the home side.
Knights 42 (T: Uate 3, Gagai 2, McManus 2, G: Gidley 5/7, P: 2/2)
Tigers 10 (T: Blair, Moltzen G: Marshall 1/2)
Crowd 21,935 at Hunter Stadium 
TheChello

TheChello

Good win, impressive. Bought well, though not a big Quinn fan. Could be a big year for the Knights. Always thought 2nd year with Bennett would see a huge lift in their performance as they get used to his style and philosophy. similar to the Rabbitohs with Maguie. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
zahidkhan06 - http://www.allhereget.com/?p=102Watch all kinds of Sports like Rugby, NCAA, Soccer, NFL, CFL, AFL, MLS, MLB, NBA, NHL, Boxing , Tennis, F...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181