The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

What do Storm supporters think of Gareth Widdop?

slip

slip

I can't fully explain why, but I can't stand this player. :lol: Butterfingers who drops the ball or pushes the pass. Maybe he only did that a few times, but I find him annoying to watch. 
View all 29 comments
slip

slip

A decent attendance at last years GF? 
WestEndAthletics

WestEndAthletics

I find him one of the most solid worker Poms to play on our shores. 
MrChook

MrChook

Most were souths fans living in fantasy land thinking their team was actually going to make a grand final. 
professional

professional

In answer to the original question, I think Widdop is a good five-eight in the NRL and still has room for improvement. 
yourhero

yourhero

He's the closest thing we have ever had to a "true" 5/8. I love his running game. Love it... Especially when he gets the ball a bit wider and he can get outside his man. On a number of occasions he has turned defenders inside our with his exceptional footwork. I think Widdop needs to get wider and take the line on a little more often.

His passing game (whilst not in Cronk's league) is very good, as is his decision making. He regularly hits the correct edge runner for a break/near break. And it's not so much the fact that he hits the correct runner, typically, the timing of the pass is spot on to not allow defenders an easy read.

Widdop's kicking game is generally ok but can have some poor moments. Luckily Cronk does most of the kicking, with Smith chiming in. Why have Widdop kick when you have two of the best kickers in the league there also?

As I have stated elsewhere, Widdops defence is his real downfall. Front on, he can be left arm grabbing from trying to go high. He is left flatfooted by attackers with good footwork and has a tendency to either be bumped off, or slip off legs tackles.

His cover defence is very good however and his commitment to chase to his outside, even after the ball is past him, is commendable.

I love having Widdop in the team and do not want to see him go elsewhere but I can't help but feel that the way in which Widdop plays, would be suited to a different team that does not have such a structured attack. Of all the Melbourne players, Widdop (and to a lesser extent Smith) on occasion looks to drift sideways looking for an opportunity to open up.

Given the freedom offered by other clubs attacking structures, Widdop would potentially offer more in the way of true creative opportunities. 
woodies

woodies

True ! Most are hopeful tragics with pre-purchased tickets.

Re. Widdop. You won't get many Storm fans complaining about a Premiership winning 5/8. 
slip

slip

I could be a premiership winning 5/8 at the Storm, just look at Brett Finch's effort in 2009. They only need OK players around the 1,7 and 9. 
woodies

woodies

You mean only OK players like Slater, Cronk and Smith? You do realise they are the Australian and Queensland spine? 
yourhero

yourhero

Mate, not sure if you saw much of Finch in 09' but he was very good. He wasn't relied on for primary playmaking and his game lifted significantly in the Storm structure.

I would have Finch ahead of Widdop this year however that just destroys years of development work in Widdop and gives us no experienced 5/8 going forward. 
yourhero

yourhero

I believe Slip is saying the 5/8 is irrelevant because of the current 1, 7 & 9. I disagree, but I believe that is what he is saying. 
slip

slip

Correct! When you have players like Lockyer, Fittler, Johns, Cronk does their partner in the halves have to be that great? But if you have Kenny/Sterlo you win 3 in a row. :) 
yourhero

yourhero

They don't have to be great but if you want to win a Premiership they better be solid at least! Especially if the half and 5/8 split the field as a lot of clubs do these days. If one side is obviously weaker, it makes things hard. 
slip

slip

I agree. But who was the Knights 2001 5/8? Rudder? They could of put Humpty Dumpty at 5/8 and still won! OK, I'm talking about an elite player in Johns, but what will Rudder be remembered for? 
silverygibbon

silverygibbon

True, but they don't have to be 5/8ths.
Using Storm's wins as examples; Geyer and Widdop were just ball playing backs, Finch a second halfback and Inglis a battering ram. All good players but not a standoff amongst them. 
pods

pods

Yes, i see him as always having more potential. Which is the problem really. I think he's gotten off to a good start this year and he is looking huge in comparison to previous seasons. He's always been an Ok player but not outstanding - but when you've got Smith, Slater and Cronk running a long side you it's hard to standout. Those three control most of the football - i wouldn't think there would be much left for a 5/8th to do. But he does have some impact and he has had some very good touches the past two weeks. 
stormfan

stormfan

I really like what Widdop brings to the team but people need to realise he was a fullback and has only had a few years at 5/8 .
sometimes he doesn't pass the ball when he should an has cost us try's but I guess u want players to back themselves .
Hes a very handy player but I think there will be some big offers for him when his contract is up. 
brendanalderson

brendanalderson

Humpty was very underrated. Should of played Origin! 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Too bad he had that fatal injury falling off the wall.
What was he doing up there anyway?
Bloody Mad Monday shenanigans! 
professional

professional

Widdop's running game is very good. He creates a lot of half-breaks but I think he sometimes struggles to find his support players when he does. 
pods

pods

I'll update this. Widdop has continued with some good form this season and he signed with St George at the right time. He definitately looks good and is making more decisions. It will be very interested to see how he does at St George, i sincerly hope he goes on to be a better footballer and does very well at St George - The poms need a good half. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Hey pods good to still see you around :) 
DRG62

DRG62

Whilst disappointed with his decision to leave, I am not overly concerned as I am sure that if Bellyache wanted to keep him he would have done so......... 
JasonKohler

JasonKohler

Can understand him leaving for that much money, just wish the players would be honest and say I'm going to set myself up financially. Widdop was apparently only on 120 000 at Storm compared to 550 000 at Saints. Who wouldn't change jobs for that sort of coin? Having said that I think he could of got somewhere in the 400 - 450000 range at Storm and was potentially a future captain. 
bigbear

bigbear

disappointed he had to leave because of the money.So many players are leaving there clubs to go to others purely for the money.I thought he would have been a good fit for the broncos.I dont know if he will look as good a player with st george as he does playing for the storm. 
pods

pods

Always around Marcus, but this new layout is testing me :/ 
stormfan

stormfan

Widdops struggling a bit at the moment and copping alot of crap from our fans as all leaving players do !
He will come good at the right time hopefully.
I'm really keen to see how he goes without our "big 3" . Personally I don't think he's the answer for the dragons but I hope he does well . 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181