The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Manly fans introduction area

Watnow

Watnow

I've noticed a few new Manly fan's on the forum. So feel free to post here. 
View all 42 comments
pandj_scott

pandj_scott

Thanks for the reply guys, its sad seeing the way the blokes went out this year but lucky for me I've been an eagles fans long enough to have enjoyed all the GF wins since i started supporting the mighty eagles in 1970.
Happy times... 
maza1972

maza1972

maza here from wollongong glad to be here and with all those eagles fans 
HamsterHuey

HamsterHuey

G'day mate. Enjoy the robust discussions. 
Watnow

Watnow

Hi maza1972 
pmc123

pmc123

Hello Champions,

Followed the Mighty Eagles since early 72. Been loyal ever since. Been a roller coaster journey but fortunately enough Grand Final wins along the way to keep it interesting. 
HamsterHuey

HamsterHuey

G'day Slimbo. Did you get to the game Friday night? 
Watnow

Watnow

G'day Slimbo. 
groggo

groggo

ive been lurking in here for years now hehe 
HamsterHuey

HamsterHuey

G'day Groggo. Notice you keep fairly quiet on Silvertails as well. Love to see more of your work here. 
jeewhiz

jeewhiz

Hi all

Love my Sea Eagles but haven't posted on this thread. Did a lot on JRL as kids were in MM and Schoolboys but they're older and hairyier now so on to other pastures for me.

Been faithful since started playing league in the '70's and watching some footage on Fulton running a muck. My dad put me onto Fulton, saying 'watch the footage - it's almost like he never gets tackled with the ball" and I was hooked on Manly from then on.

Go the Sea Eagles!! 
HamsterHuey

HamsterHuey

Welcome, jeewhiz. As a long time supporter, I look forward to your input on all things Manly. 
nadyone

nadyone

Well, 2011 is moving along nicely & now after that loss to the Tigers, we're back under the radar.
Exactly where Dessie wants us.:lol:

For me, I've been a Manly fan since 1987, when I was old enough to follow the rules of rubgy league.
This is going back to the time when there was mid week footy & I remember waking up for school & the 1st thing I would do, if Manly had played the night before, was go into my old mans study & check the score summary he always did.
If Manly won, I was stoked & I'd turn the TV on to see if the morning news would show any highlights.
If Manly lost, well, rugby league was dead to me & school was just not important so I would put on a tantrum to avoid having to face the public.:lol:

Obviously, being born in 81 I missed the era of dominance in the 70's, but I have seen all the games & they were great matches. Especially the bloodbath Grand Final against Cronulla.

The 90's was a good time, but disappointing too as Manly should have won 3 from 3, not 1 from 3.
The loss in 95 doesn't bother me at all though, despite the terrible calls, as the side was young & the old adage of having to lose 1 before you win 1 was more often than not, true.
96 was fantastic as it was the 3rd loss from as many attempts for the Dragons in Grand Finals in the 90's. That & the fact that Manly set the bar for defense that has not been matched in the 15 years since & I don't think will ever be matched.
97 is the one that still burns me. 10-0 at one stage in the 1st half. 16-8 up at half time & Manly did what they hadn't done since the 95 Grand Final. They went into their shell & forgot to play footy.

2007 was a learning curve as I think Manly were just stoked to make it. How Crocker was not sent off for his elbow to the head of Brett Stewart is still a joke, but the boys made amends the following year, 40-0.
Had Cam Smith been available, I still think Manly would've won as in 2008, I don't think it would've mattered who Manly played. They were not going to lose again. But if Smith was there, I think it would've been a closer contest.

If the Broncos had've made it in 2008, they would've tasted their 1st Grand Final defeat in my opinion. Regardless of what Lockyer says regarding their Week 2 loss at the death to the Storm.

2009 was another disappointment as in my opinion, Manly were attacked from every angle.
They came back WCC Champions & before Round 1 had started, Brett Stewart was dragged through the mud by the media & Gallop was happy to oblige them.
Also too, I think the loss of Menzies, not so much on the field, but just his presence, unbalanced the side.

2010 they just couldn't keep players fit, which was the other extreme from 2008 when they couldn't get a major injury.

2011. Round 22 starts today & the real show starts in 6 weeks.
Manly are in a great position to go all the way this year. So long as they dont switch off against the sides they should beat into submission, like the Roosters, Eels & Bulldogs. They'll be primed for the Storm & the Broncos, it's just the lesser opponents that make me nervous, considering Manly's get out of jail wins against Cronulla & Parramatta already, a close win over the Panthers & a close loss to the Tigers.

BRING IT ON!!! 
Supesy

Supesy

Yeah I feel the same as you nady, although I can't help but think the last couple of weeks weve been missing some spark out wide with Wolfman and Robbo not being fit. I really think we need them back into the side, although at the expense of who I'm not sure. 
nadyone

nadyone

We can cover Wolfman. Robbo is a huge loss & maybe people will see what us Manly fans have known for some time now.
That he is a 1st class winger & 1 of the most underrated players in the comp. 
veggiepatch

veggiepatch

I've been a Manly fan since 1966 - the first year I played the game as a 6/7 year old in the Canterbury Bankstown junior comp for Riverwood United. I lived in the Canterbury Council area while across the road was Hurstville Council area (St George).

Favourite all time player is Terry Randall...best ever hit was on Dallas Donnelly (Wests) during the Fibros vs Silvertail era of the late 70s.

Saw all their GF wins on TV, except for their latest drilling of the Storm when I was at the game for my first and only GF "at the ground" experience".

I haven't posted on here for over 18 months - seemed my account went into limbo but I'm back.

Gotta love dem Sea Eagles!! 
Eaglesroc

Eaglesroc

Im new to this forum and a massive manly fan have been since 1995 
nadyone

nadyone

Welcome mate.
A fan since 95. Terrible end to what was a great year, but I guess enduring a loss in your 1st year, would've made 96 a whole lot better. 
HamsterHuey

HamsterHuey

15 other clubs wish they had the 2011 we did. Some off-field stuff doesn't take away from the 8th club Premiership, and the recent history we've enjoyed.

After 2010 I could sense that the club knew what needed to be addressed and I was confident of DCE partnering with Foran, based on their NYC days. A premiership felt a little far off, but given the closeness of the competition, you can't write anybody off bouncing back for a great season.

G'day Eaglesroc. Enjoy the forums and try not to take the other fans too seriously. They're just upset they jumped on the wrong club. 
nadyone

nadyone

It feels good knowing we've won 2 of the 3 valid Premierships since 2008.:8 
HamsterHuey

HamsterHuey

I thought it was 2 out of 2. 2010 was only a 15 team competition.

You have to go back to 2006 to find another team that won a legitimate comp. 
clevo351

clevo351

Hi all
I was bred on the northern beaches, went to my first match at Brooky at 10 years old and saw Terry Randall Tackle anything that moved in an opposition Jumper and have been Hooked for the last 40 Years, as other people have said the Grand Finals Have more than made up for the lean years, i grew up on Manly Beach in the Summer and Brooky Oval in the winter
every afternnoon in winter we used to go down to Brooky after School and play touch footy or forcings back, twice a week we used to go home and have dinner and then be back down at the oval to watch the team train

I am now Living in Taree on the Mid North Coast

this year has been a bit of a roller coaster ride so far, but hopefully we will get back on track after the two week break, and getting a few players back

in the past i have been known as Hillbillyjazzer1954, wich is a nod to one of my favourite forms of music called western swing aka Hillbilly Jazz which is a Mix of Blues, Jazz, Hillbilly Country and Boogie Woogie and 1954 is when Elvis first went into the Sun Studios in Memphis to Create History

My new user name is a Nod to one of my favourite V8 Motors The Mighty Ford 351 Cleveland.........yes I am also a Ford Nut:D 
HamsterHuey

HamsterHuey

Welcome, mate. Always good to have another unbiased, educated Manly supporter on the site. 
clevo351

clevo351

thank ya, i will enjoy the ride

onwards and upwards to the GF.......hopefully 
manlyfan100

manlyfan100

Hi guys. Am a huge Manly fan and have been since I started following football. Unfortunately I don't get to attend many games but will always make sure I catch them when they're playing on 9 or Foxtel.
Have been a bit disappointed this year but the effort against the Roosters was hopefully an indication of performances to come.
Barring any more injuries we're definitely good enough to see a repeat of last year. 
TheOldTiger

TheOldTiger

Hi Sea Eagles,
Last night whilst you were flogging my Broncos,i heard in the background the Tommahawk Chop Chant being sung in the crowd.
Its the Chant of my Gridiron team in the States,FSU Seminoles.It sounded great !!!!
Keep that up and i might have to start supporting the Eagles----nah just kidding :)
Good luck in the finals,Fellas
Mick 
RVD420

RVD420

Hi All

I'm a fellow Sea Eagles fan from Canberra been supporting the teamall my life and am hoping we can go all the way this year.

If anyone is interested please enter a team in my NRL Supercoach Draft competition by clicking on the link http://nrlsupercoachdraft.dailytelegraph.com.au/?p=register&iid=3315 http://nrlsupercoachdraft.dailytelegraph.com.au/?p=register&iid=3315 or entering the code 561680. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa vs Australia live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score coverage...
tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181