The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Manly Team for 2013

knitey

knitey

New Manly mentor Andrew Johns still a Newcastle Knight at heart

ANDREW Johns wore Manly colours for the first time yesterday and immediately hit back at criticism he is being disloyal to his beloved Knights.

The game's newest Immortal clocked on as a full-time member of the Manly coaching staff when he guided young halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans through a series of drills yesterday. "I know people are questioning my loyalty and all this sort of stuff," Johns said.

"I played my whole life at Newcastle and no one could question my loyalty to Newcastle. It's a club I love.

"I'm a life member there and it will always be my club. But I haven't lived there for five years, I haven't played there for five years.

"I suppose life goes on, doesn't it? Things change."

It is the first job of its type Johns has had exclusively with one club. In the five years since he retired, he has completed several consultant positions at different clubs.

"I knew it would come up," Johns said. "That's just natural because my name is synonymous with Newcastle.

"I played there because I loved the place and I loved living in the area and all the players I played with.

"I played for less money and all that bull****.

"But things change."

Johns played 249 matches for Newcastle but relocated to the northern beaches not long after retiring from the game.

Manly head coach Geoff Toovey said Johns' arrival is a real win for the club.

"Joey is a great mentor, particularly for our young halves," Toovey said. "It's great to have him exclusively at the club. I'm looking forward to working with him and the players are really excited."

While Johns will spend plenty of time with the Manly halves, he will also pass on his expertise to players throughout the club.

"I am going to be working with the halves here," Johns said. "But I am also going to work through the grades.

"There is so much potential here. The exciting thing is the halves. They are still really young. I think they still have a lot of improvement in them."

Foran and Cherry-Evans admitted yesterday they are seeking significant improvement on last season.

"I couldn't seem to get any momentum," Foran said. "I struggled to get fit after injuries and couldn't stay on top of my body.

"I wasn't happy at all, to be honest. I was pretty disappointed in the way I went personally this year.

"That is in the past now and I just want to look to have a big year next season.

"I want to keep doing sessions with Joey and hopefully that will get me back on top of my game.

"I'm rapt that he has jumped on board. He will bring a hell of a lot of knowledge and experience.

"Everyone has seen what he is capable of doing in the halves at clubs.

"It's great we have now got him to ourselves."

Cherry-Evans said: "There is definitely room for improvement in my game.

"People say he (Johns) is the best halfback to play the game, so we are very fortunate to have him at Manly."

The Sea Eagles finished fourth this year and were comfortably beaten in the grand final qualifier by the Melbourne Storm.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/new-manly-mentor-andrew-johns-still-a-newcastle-knight-at-heart/story-e6frexnr-1226521593112 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226521593112 
Goodsy

Goodsy

I'm happy to have Joey onboard full time.. can only do DCE and Foz good with all Joeys experience.. just as long as he is not a bad influence with the 'off field' stuff..

Bit of a joke if there are people out there saying he is being disloyal to his Knights.. the guys still has to have a job. 
knitey

knitey

Agree, why spend 2.5 hrs driving when you can do it in 15mins. He lives at Mona Vale. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

haha - get that rubbish off him !! Burn it !! 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Goodsey are you nervous about Joey being a assistant Coach. I mean look at his past coaching gigs :lol: 
Watnow

Watnow

Was involved in 2011 and how did that turn out? 
Eaglesroc

Eaglesroc

Whats Everyone think of us maybe losing Wolfie and Georgie Rose 
knitey

knitey

You would lose some depth without the Wolfman.....you would lose some excess weight without George. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Excess weight without George :lol: 
professional

professional

Rose is a really good bench prop but he's struggled with fitness and consistency for a while now. He'll be a loss and the Sea Eagles' will be lacking in depth among props but they will cope without him.

Having Brett Stewart is far more important than the depth that Williams, Mauro and Rose provide. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

I ditto that.. I would add to it, but really would be just saying the same thing in a different way. 
Eaglesroc

Eaglesroc

I spose it would be a chance to bring up some juniors as well 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Both halves got significant upgrades which has impacted on your ability to retain players...hope for your sake they can lead the way. 
Watnow

Watnow

Think sides will be scared of when the likes of Kite, King and Lyon move on.
Choc probably a year later.

That's when we open up our wallet 
Eaglesroc

Eaglesroc

Id like us to bring some of the juniors forward through 
Watnow

Watnow

Our succesful sides have always had a mix. Props we're covered with some promising juniors. Centre's on the other hand 
nadyone

nadyone

This is my take on the 17 that Manly will field.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Tafua
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Steve Matai
5. David Williams
6. Kieren Foran
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Jason King
9. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Wamough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart
14. Joe Galuvao
15. George Rose
16. Richard Fa'oso
17. Michael Chee Kam

With Gifty out for the opening 6-10 weeks, Galuvao will start in the 2nd row, Buhrer will start at lock & either Lawrence or Horo will come onto the bench. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

It's a pretty strong team.. very happy with it. Hopefully we get good impact from the bench front rowers.

I am looking forward to watching Buhrer this season now that he will (or atleast bloody well should) receive a run on spot and more game time.

* just hope the players are mentally up for the season and don't allow the current off field crap distract them.. 
professional

professional

:lol: Genuinely thought you had photoshopped his sunglasses on too. 
Morkel

Morkel

[h=1]Manly Sea Eagles still yet to register Brett Stewart's contract[/h]
THE NRL is still to register the contract of Manly's star fullback Brett Stewart.

It is understood the Sea Eagles and NRL officials will meet today to discuss the extraordinary delay.
Unless the contract is registered, Stewart would be unavailable to play Manly's round one match against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.
One source said: "He could be the world's richest water boy."
Stewart's deal at Brookvale is worth about $550,000 for 2013.
Manly players and fans are stunned their club's management - and the NRL - have not worked out a resolution, especially since the salary cap was recently increased from $4.4 million to $5.1 million.
The Sea Eagles discussed the drama at a club CEOs conference on Wednesday.
Sources claim Manly are trying to shift money from the salary cap to third-party agreements to have the Stewart deal settled - but the NRL isn't accepting the situation. Rival NRL clubs have also objected.

Manly management will meet NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert this morning.
Stewart missed last weekend's trial game against the Sydney Roosters with a hamstring injury. His manager George Mimis, was unavailable for comment last night.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-still-yet-to-register-brett-stewarts-contract/story-e6frep5x-1226583026886 
Morkel

Morkel

I'm sure Nady will happily throw in some 3rd party money. Honestly though, if he's signed for $550k and the club doesn't have that room, they shouldn't be allowed to just shift it to 3rd party payments.

Should we assume that the reason the cap increase hasn't helped is because the majority of the recent re-signings included % clauses too? 
nadyone

nadyone

I'm bringing my conspiracy theorist out & for mine it's just typical anti-Manly BS from the NRL. 
Morkel

Morkel

After a gift premiership barely more than a year ago? 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181