The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Brookvale Oval plans on State Government radar

annav3

annav3

[h=1]Brookvale Oval plans on State Government radar[/h]
A DELEGATION from the Manly Sea Eagles club met with NSW Sports Minister Graham Annesley yesterday as part of the football club's fight to see Brookvale Oval upgraded.

The meeting was attended by a high-power delegation from the northern beaches, including Sea Eagles co-owner Scott Penn, the club's co-patron Kerry Sibraa, Warringah mayor Michael Regan and Tim Cleary, the headmaster of St Augustine's College across the road from the "fortress".

The meeting at the minister's city office lasted nearly an hour, where questions were raised about the future of traditional suburban rugby league grounds like Brookvale and Leichhhardt in the inner west.

This follows the release of the state government's "NSW Stadia Strategy" report in late 2012, which called for funds to be allocated on the bigger sporting venues like Allianz and ANZ Stadiums.

"We just examined a number of options about the future of Brookvale," Sibraa told the Manly Daily.

"We set up a committee - and practically at the same time the stadia strategy was released."

At the meeting the parties agreed the Sea Eagles would put together a properly-costed proposal to take back to the minister for further consideration. Sibraa said Annesley was very receptive to the club's situation.

"He realises the position we are in," he said.

"He said he is available at any time as we flesh out these proposals."

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/brookvale-oval-plans-on-agenda/
http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/2013/01/10/IBOLT_PP555617_4106003_resized.jpg 
Watnow

Watnow

Someone grouped us with the Western Sydney grounds inspite the fact it's been something like 20 years since we got proper funding. 
annav3

annav3

your best hope for funding is the mad monk 
Watnow

Watnow

Been there tried that. He'll do the usually thing 'if I win I'll promise to upgrade Brookie' but then do **** all when push comes to shove

The whole Manly (and Warringah) area needs to vote Labor and give them a traditional strong Liberal seat (ever notice that most of the grounds that got grants are Labor seats whilst the LIberals held power....) 
slip

slip

Why don't Manly just steal Parramatta Stadium and place it on the Brookvale Oval site. They've taken everything else from there. 
AspleyOwl

AspleyOwl

Not enough chicken wire or rusty gates thats why. 
annav3

annav3

it is an election year and both parties will be desperate...now is a good time to beg for some funding 
slip

slip

Does the hill on the side of the ground have enough room to build a Grand Stand? 
Watnow

Watnow

Stack more dirt on it and it would

Build it and they will come lol 
nadyone

nadyone

It'd actually be good then. Like everything else that comes to Manly from Parramatta. 
annav3

annav3

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/03/02/4076403/art-626156870-620x349.jpg Sunny future? ... Brookvale Oval. Photo: Getty Images

Tony Abbott has given the strongest indication yet that Brookvale Oval won't die if he is elected as prime minister. The leader of the federal opposition was a special guest at Manly's season launch at Brookvale Oval on Friday night. Other political heavyweights in attendance included the NSW Treasurer, Mike Baird, the state Minister for Planning, Brad Hazzard, and Liberal MP Bronwyn Bishop. The NSW government's stadiums strategy has outlined plans to shift funding away from suburban grounds and towards major venues such as ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium. However Abbott raised hopes that one of the NRL's most dilapidated grounds, Brookvale Oval, could finally get the money required to bring it up to standard. ''I am confident that [Manly] will be doing well come September and I hope you aren't the only ones in this room doing well come September,'' Abbott told guests in the Chairman's Lounge, in reference to the coming federal election. ''Opposition is OK but government is better. Opposition is about promising, government is about delivering. I hope I will be in a position to deliver to this club, to this code and to this stadium come September. I look forward to working with my friends and colleagues, the state Treasurer Mike Baird and the state Minister for Planning, Brad Hazzard. If we've got the planning right, if we've got the finances right then we can deliver. And I've got my coach Bronwyn Bishop to make sure I perform on and off the field.'' Former Senate president Kerry Sibraa is heading a Brookvale Oval Committee tasked with finding ways to salvage the historic ground. ''It was great to see Tony there and other respected politicians,'' Sea Eagles general manager David Perry said. ''It was positive what he said in regards to the future of Brookvale Oval.'' Dave Smith will meet Manly officials this week to discuss the issue. The ARLC chief executive is also scheduled to meet Abbott on March 13 to discuss a range of issues including the NRL's own stadiums funding wish list. There are also tentative plans for him to sit down with the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, this week. Smith said: ''I think rugby league will be more professional in terms of its interaction, we will want to work more closely with government - both state and federal.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/abbott-promises-brookie-a-lifeline-20130302-2fd27.html#ixzz2MNwIuvqJ 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Yes it does. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

I would like to see every NRL club eventually have a ground that can hold at least 35 000 people all seated and most undercover.

What I would like to see is a lump sum of money from the TV rights each year be allocated to developing a clubs home ground, like about 40 Mil a year. Then I would like to see the respective state and federal governments provide a further 10 mil each a year. With 60 mil a club would be able to build a grandstand like Newcastle just got build for them.

Eventually each club would have a top home ground. the fans would be better off, the clubs would be better off with more revinue and private boxes and the game itself would be better off.

The money from TV right has funded the ground improvements to the English soccer clubs. Why not us? 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

The State Government wants NRL to operate between SFS, ANZ and Parra Stadium.

Not sure how feasible it is but remember there was a article in Telegraph late last year about it. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Yeah, I know that too.

The media and government keep talking about how the AFL play all games at Edihart, The MCG and maybe another ground.

The government doesn't want to spend any more money on suburban grounds. But also think of this aspect. If they get all sydney clubs playing out of those 3 grounds then the lease holders of those grounds recieve more revenue which means they can charge more for the lease.

Personally I don't like the idea of playing all home games at Hombush or the SFS at all. Saints played all of their home games at the SCG from 86 to 89 or 90 and it didn't work and Saints have a massive suporter base all over Sydney. I like the home ground feeling. I know that Manly and Cronulla fans don't like to travel past the Spit or Tom Ugly's. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I am against the proposal also. We also played from SFS in 2000-2002 and it didn't seem like a home ground not a venue to be scared of for opposing teams like we have with Kogarah 
nadyone

nadyone

I think the big matches should be played at the big venues. Except for Week 1 of the Finals. If Brookie got the upgrade it deserves, the one it has been robbed of for at least a decade, then it will be up to standard for a Week 1 Finals match. Just look at the Week 1 Finals match against the Cowboys in 2011. A tick over 13 thousand showed up, whereas Brookvale would've been at capacity. The other thing that worked against that match was the scheduling. This year it should be 1 match at 7pm Friday, 1 match at 7pm Saturday, 1 match at 4pm Sunday afternoon & the last one at 6pm Sunday night. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 21 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeStorm14 J.Turpin15 C.GaloRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.Nikorima14 W.BrimsonCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Ba...
Fromthenest - Well there you go. Apparently Wide Bay's final is being played Thursday between Norville SS of Bundy and St Pat's Gympie. I am lead to be...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181