The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

QLD Under 12's 2014

SillyBilly86

SillyBilly86

Hi Guys does anyone know if their is 2 QLD teams selected from the State Carnival in Goondiwindi in July? 
View all 70 comments
Nike1976

Nike1976

What I find hard to grasp is how can a team (met west) annihilate it's opponents and then only have 4 boys make the Qld team? How are these selections justified? My son is not even part of any of the teams involved, but I've followed the carnival since day 1, and thought it'd be clear cut that majority of the team would come from both the teams in the finals OR from Met West. Hope it's not the case of who you know and not how you played? 
perfect3

perfect3

@Nike1976 unfortunatley there is and always will be politics when it comes to sports i have learnt first hand for both my children..
it is a real shame that the game isnt picked on pure talent but how many times u have lunch with coaching staff. Dont get me wrong its not like that for all but has been around for years and its always going to be the same bt its a damn shame. 
Mitch18

Mitch18

Last year Met North were runners up in a very close game against Met West. They only managed to get 1 in possibles and 1 in probables. Maybe they went with skill rather than size this year. 
iceman66

iceman66

Representative selections are and always will be subjective everyone has an opinion and you will never be able to please everyone, unfortunately that's how selections go...they are always just someone's opinion...what parents and spectators don't know, is what is the coaches game plan and what is the coach looking for in each position and the little things that separate one boys skills from another, if we all knew that then we would have a better understanding....I don't think it really matters who won the carnival as you would assume that each boy was looked at individually...from what I have heard all boys selected played well and each of them deserve their selection - some good boys missed out of course but it was always going to be tough to make this team...Good luck boys!!! 
SillyBilly86

SillyBilly86

Met West dominated the whole carnival with only 6 points being scored against them in 6 games. The only try was from Met East in the final but apart from that their defence was outstanding. I thought the #13, 9 and 2 for Met West were unlucky to not get a P&P spot but in saying that all boys selected were playing very well and deserved selection. They picked a very big QLD team dominated by southern qld regions. Best of luck to the team competing at the nationals. 
Leblancboys

Leblancboys

Hey Nike. My boy is playing lock for met north at wynnum next week 
PotterJason

PotterJason

Only one 6 and no 7.... So who the 7 going to be?? 
PotterJason

PotterJason

Footyoyeoye
Agreed @SillyBilly86 size dominates in this age group. Kids can have more skill but unfortunately cause they weigh 20-30kgs less have no show with these Polly boys. Give them a few years and it will even out. That's if they hang in there & still play.

Check these articles out - The domination of Polynesian kids was first ID way back in 2000 -

White players shying away from All Black future - 2 Dec 2000

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/newzealand/2993863/White-players-shying-away-from-All-Black-future.html

Islanders in junior leagues, it's a really big issue - July 16, 2006

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/islanders-in-junior-leagues-its-a-really-big-issue/2006/07/15/1152637922188.html

Crunch time for juniors' weighty issue - March 20, 2011

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/crunch-time-for-juniors-weighty-issue-20110319-1c1ba.html

PotterJason

PotterJason

Let me stress here, this is not the fault of the Polynesian and Maori kids! They and their families love the game and they have every right to play to the best of their ability and enjoy its many benefits. This is not their problem. I'm just wondering if it's a major problem for the parents of other kids.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/crunch-time-for-juniors-weighty-issue-20110319-1c1ba.html#ixzz36OW3STzr

SillyBilly86

SillyBilly86

@PotterJason the 2 from Met East was originally picked on wing for met east bit played the carnival in halves. Same with #13 from met east who was picked as fullback. 
bearsman

bearsman

Everyone must remember that this is school football, picked by school teachers. Things will change quickly over the next few years. 
bearsman

bearsman

I am sure some of these boys will go onto big things in the future and we should not be concerned in regards to size, this is a great sport where everyone can play and achieve great things. We should be applauding all the kids who have been selected to represent QLD. Good luck to the team. 
Footyoyeoye

Footyoyeoye

Thanks for the articles @potterjason. An interesting read. This u12-u15 is probably where it affects the smaller boys confidence the most. I agree Polynesian & Maori kids have as much right to play, but I do find the up to 40 kilo weight diff concerning for the safety of our kids. It is a contact sport. You don't see welterweights taking on heavy weight in boxing do you? 
RedCorner1

RedCorner1

For those who missed seeing us at the Carnival - The Games are all available now on DVD up on our website.
http://www.redcorner.com.au/#!online-store/c24kw/!/~/category/id=8327789&offset=0&sort=normal 
footymum67

footymum67

I agree Footyoyeoye and PotterJason about the size of the boys. Its hard to tell your 12 yr old boy who is an average build to run full on and tackle a boy twice his size. My boy had the best time at the Goondiwindi Carnival. He got to the Grand Final against Met West. He didn't make the QLD side but continued to play with injuries. It gave him a chance to see what he needs to work on at least - defence.. his line speed and attack is excellent. Can't wait to watch the DVDs from the games :) 
Fromthenest

Fromthenest

RE bearsman - 'this is school football, picked by school teachers' would have to be one of the most ill-informed statements I have ever read. So if the team was picked by a sparky would that have held more regard? Perhaps a doctor? Maybe even a bus driver? Teaching as a profession does not mean you have never played or coached the game you know!?
What annoys me most about that statement is that in many ways schoolboys selections are more void of preconceived ideas than club sides where often 'good old dad' is the coach and selector, or heavens forbid, there needs to be a set quota of players from each club or region.
Whilst on the topic, it is very difficult to look at team results as the single criteria for selections into state sides. As much as we may not like to look at individuals as opposed to teams the cold reality is selectors have to. The scenario I would use is this:
Let's just for argument sake say that the vast majority of team which dominates has across the board 10 players who are say a 7 out of 10 type of player (plus a couple of 'guns'). Against other teams who have only say 4 players at this level they dominate. Now what you don't take into account is that individuals from other teams may be a 9, or a 10 out of 10 player but don't have the 'cattle' around them to help them dominate games.
Sorry for the length of this post but it's the first one I've posted in quite a while. I know some of the boys selected in the state side and I know they will do a great job as part of a great team selected by people who DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. 
SillyBilly86

SillyBilly86

@Fromthenest That hit the nail on the head mate, I agree. I also know a few of the boys selected and they ALL very well deserved selection. I'll also be going down to watch them and I know they'll do our state proud. 
MW4Eva

MW4Eva

Yeah @bearan that's a very interesting statement.. I will leave it at that......

The carnival was a great spectacle. There's a bigger picture here than the one everyone seems to be focusing on.. And that's kids enjoying what they are doing. The looks on the faces of the North West kids when they were tunnelled off by our boys even though they were comprehensively defeated, the humble nature of our boys in this case, the humble nature of kids like met east 10 who for his great size and power treated everyone with respect and dignity, the looks on the team mates faces when their mate was chosen in the state side, the positive comments from the majority of parents and what the carnival brought to a country club like Goondiwindi.. Let's not get carried away all, they are 12 year old kids.

Lastly, to the 17 Met West boys ->

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH
MET WEST!! 
qld4eva

qld4eva

My boy was fortunate enough to make the qld side last year and I can guarantee that the coaches of this side know exactly what they are doing. I can't speak highly enough of the effort they put in. They make sure every i is dotted and every t is crossed. Congratulations to all the boys that have made the side and good luck at the national carnival. Lets make it 5 years in a row 
Morrisonmen

Morrisonmen

The great Cyril Connell was a 'teacher' of some renown....Quite a few NRL coaches including Mark Murray have had primary and secondary school teaching backgrounds... 
Morrisonmen

Morrisonmen

In regard to the size of the boys, there is a place for all sizes at all levels. My boy was also chose for the Queensland team two years ago, he weighed 31 kg while playing hooker. He is currently 45kg and playing 14 prems, still as a hooker. 
qldr80

qldr80

After being at the U12 carnival in Goondiwindi and watching some of the games, I find it very hard to believe that all the kids were in fact under 12 years old. There was one "boy" who had a next tattoo!! I have also been told by teachers that some of the students actually don't even have birth certificates. I think this adds to the argument about the size of some of the players... 
qldr80

qldr80

Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a shame she didn't get the ball more... However she did score two tries. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 19 ResultsBroncos: J.Nikorima 3 goals
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...
Morrisonmen - Does anyone happen to have filmed the final of the Under 10's Gordan Tallis Cup in Townsville between Wests (brisbane) and Sarina?

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168