The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

QLD Under 12's 2014

SillyBilly86

SillyBilly86

Hi Guys does anyone know if their is 2 QLD teams selected from the State Carnival in Goondiwindi in July? 
View all 80 comments
bearsman

bearsman

Everyone must remember that this is school football, picked by school teachers. Things will change quickly over the next few years. 
bearsman

bearsman

I am sure some of these boys will go onto big things in the future and we should not be concerned in regards to size, this is a great sport where everyone can play and achieve great things. We should be applauding all the kids who have been selected to represent QLD. Good luck to the team. 
Footyoyeoye

Footyoyeoye

Thanks for the articles @potterjason. An interesting read. This u12-u15 is probably where it affects the smaller boys confidence the most. I agree Polynesian & Maori kids have as much right to play, but I do find the up to 40 kilo weight diff concerning for the safety of our kids. It is a contact sport. You don't see welterweights taking on heavy weight in boxing do you? 
RedCorner1

RedCorner1

For those who missed seeing us at the Carnival - The Games are all available now on DVD up on our website.
http://www.redcorner.com.au/#!online-store/c24kw/!/~/category/id=8327789&offset=0&sort=normal 
footymum67

footymum67

I agree Footyoyeoye and PotterJason about the size of the boys. Its hard to tell your 12 yr old boy who is an average build to run full on and tackle a boy twice his size. My boy had the best time at the Goondiwindi Carnival. He got to the Grand Final against Met West. He didn't make the QLD side but continued to play with injuries. It gave him a chance to see what he needs to work on at least - defence.. his line speed and attack is excellent. Can't wait to watch the DVDs from the games :) 
Fromthenest

Fromthenest

RE bearsman - 'this is school football, picked by school teachers' would have to be one of the most ill-informed statements I have ever read. So if the team was picked by a sparky would that have held more regard? Perhaps a doctor? Maybe even a bus driver? Teaching as a profession does not mean you have never played or coached the game you know!?
What annoys me most about that statement is that in many ways schoolboys selections are more void of preconceived ideas than club sides where often 'good old dad' is the coach and selector, or heavens forbid, there needs to be a set quota of players from each club or region.
Whilst on the topic, it is very difficult to look at team results as the single criteria for selections into state sides. As much as we may not like to look at individuals as opposed to teams the cold reality is selectors have to. The scenario I would use is this:
Let's just for argument sake say that the vast majority of team which dominates has across the board 10 players who are say a 7 out of 10 type of player (plus a couple of 'guns'). Against other teams who have only say 4 players at this level they dominate. Now what you don't take into account is that individuals from other teams may be a 9, or a 10 out of 10 player but don't have the 'cattle' around them to help them dominate games.
Sorry for the length of this post but it's the first one I've posted in quite a while. I know some of the boys selected in the state side and I know they will do a great job as part of a great team selected by people who DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. 
SillyBilly86

SillyBilly86

@Fromthenest That hit the nail on the head mate, I agree. I also know a few of the boys selected and they ALL very well deserved selection. I'll also be going down to watch them and I know they'll do our state proud. 
MW4Eva

MW4Eva

Yeah @bearan that's a very interesting statement.. I will leave it at that......

The carnival was a great spectacle. There's a bigger picture here than the one everyone seems to be focusing on.. And that's kids enjoying what they are doing. The looks on the faces of the North West kids when they were tunnelled off by our boys even though they were comprehensively defeated, the humble nature of our boys in this case, the humble nature of kids like met east 10 who for his great size and power treated everyone with respect and dignity, the looks on the team mates faces when their mate was chosen in the state side, the positive comments from the majority of parents and what the carnival brought to a country club like Goondiwindi.. Let's not get carried away all, they are 12 year old kids.

Lastly, to the 17 Met West boys ->

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH
MET WEST!! 
qld4eva

qld4eva

My boy was fortunate enough to make the qld side last year and I can guarantee that the coaches of this side know exactly what they are doing. I can't speak highly enough of the effort they put in. They make sure every i is dotted and every t is crossed. Congratulations to all the boys that have made the side and good luck at the national carnival. Lets make it 5 years in a row 
Morrisonmen

Morrisonmen

The great Cyril Connell was a 'teacher' of some renown....Quite a few NRL coaches including Mark Murray have had primary and secondary school teaching backgrounds... 
Morrisonmen

Morrisonmen

In regard to the size of the boys, there is a place for all sizes at all levels. My boy was also chose for the Queensland team two years ago, he weighed 31 kg while playing hooker. He is currently 45kg and playing 14 prems, still as a hooker. 
qldr80

qldr80

After being at the U12 carnival in Goondiwindi and watching some of the games, I find it very hard to believe that all the kids were in fact under 12 years old. There was one "boy" who had a next tattoo!! I have also been told by teachers that some of the students actually don't even have birth certificates. I think this adds to the argument about the size of some of the players... 
qldr80

qldr80

Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a shame she didn't get the ball more... However she did score two tries. 
DavidHatch

DavidHatch

QLD 28 - NSW 12 in opening round of National Exchange in Wollongong. 
ALX21

ALX21

Day 2 - QLD 30 def VIC 6
Day 3 - QLD 58 def ACT 0 
Fromthenest

Fromthenest

Day 4 - QLD 54 def SA 0 
ALX21

ALX21

Good results so far. 
ALX21

ALX21

Day 5
QLD 34 def NSW Invit 4 
DavidHatch

DavidHatch

Thought it was 34-0.
Anyway they play NSW in the final tomorrow. 
DavidHatch

DavidHatch

IS that 3 years in a row for QLD, in this age group ?? 
qld4eva

qld4eva

No, that is 5 years in a row. Qld have won 8 out of the last 9. 
Awks

Awks

And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181