harrofam

harrofam

[h=1]App alert to be game changer for football injuries[/h]
[LIST]
[*] by: Damien Stannard
[*] From: http://www.couriermail.com.au The Courier-Mail
[*] March 16, 2013 12:00AM
[/LIST]

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/03/15/1226598/530152-football-injuries.jpg
BRAINSTORM: A new smartphone app aims to identify the warning signs of head injury and the treatment required among football players.

PARENTS have been urged to embrace a new smartphone app which aims to identify the warning signs of concussion in junior footballers and de-mystify their path to recovery.

With most underage football competitions under way, the launch of the awareness program could minimise the risk of brain injuries.
Research shows one in five junior rugby league players are likely to suffer from concussion this year and experts warn that failure to follow appropriate treatment guidelines can have catastrophic outcomes.
The prevention of head injuries has become a hot topic in professional sports worldwide in recent years, triggered largely by the concussion injury class action lawsuit brought by former players against America's NFL.
It has also been at the heart of moves this season by Australia's National Rugby League to introduce a ban on the controversial shoulder charge in a bid to reduce head injuries.

Medical researcher Dr Ryan Kohler has developed a free mobile and online tool kit to help parents, coaches and officials identify concussion symptoms and begin effective treatment.
"Parents aren't going to be carrying medical textbooks around on a Saturday morning. They'll have their keys, a mobile and a wallet," said Dr Kohler, a match physician for Super Rugby's Brumbies.
"This is something you can hold in the palm of your hand."
The http://www.sportsconcussionaustralasia.com/ Sports Concussion Australasia website and its First Responder app warn that concussion symptoms can be worsened by:
Repeated horizontal eye reading movement;
Use of TV screens, computers and mobile device screens;
Crowded rooms with no ventilation;
Noise relating to talking, singing, shouting, music and clapping. 
tracey.chenhall

tracey.chenhall

My son, while playing for under 13s on Sunday 21/4/2013 received a blow to the head by another player on the opposite team charging his shoulder into his head. My son got up and continued to play, trying to keep up with his team mates. He ended up losing vision and needing to vomit repeatedly. With a slurring of speech and vomit rising up in his mouth he tried calling out to a team mate who told him to get down on all fours. Unfortunately no ambulance was called to the scene and my son was not attended to by medical experts, but sent home with instructions to go and see a doctor at some stage to get a medical clearance.

He came home slurred in his speech, difficulties with his vision and had another episode of vomiting later in the day and again the next morning. I have taken him the our local GP and the hospital, and need to keep him home for the next 48 hours. But even after doing all of this, I know that the doctor is reluctant to sign a medical clearance. I am happy for him to sit out the two week waiting period before returning to the field if a clearance is not signed, but my question is why was this not appropriately dealt with before he even left the field? Why was he permitted to come home in the condition he was in instead of being under appropriate medical observations? 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - I haven't heard that school mentioned a lot lately from up that way David. Normally it's the Innisfails/Willows/Belgian Gardens etc that ...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181