The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Golden Boot

professional

professional

Not many Origin players are made to look terrible though. Unless they are Josh Perry, who has always been terrible. Many also go over at the ends of their careers which explains a lot. The only high profile player who has really under-performed has been Buderus and even he wasn't half as bad as people liked to claim.

I actually think Michael Dobson would do very well if he came back to Australia. He has developed very nicely and is a far better player now than he was at Canberra. Likewise Michael Monaghan would still be a great player in the NRL if he returned (assuming he can get back to full fitness after his knee injuries). It is almost funny watching teams running around in the NRL with muppets like Sandow or Robson at halfback when there are a couple really classy players hiding in the SL. 
slip

slip

Robbed of a premiership and the golden boot. 2009 year of the thief! :)

I just looked up the golden boot on wikipedia, Brett Kenny won the award in 1985 and Sterlo in 1987 with Hugh McGahan. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Yeah, there's been some great players who have won it.

And some English blokes as well. 
slip

slip

Ellery Hanley and Gary Schofield were good players. Couldn't win a premiership with Balmain though. :P 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Shhhh...I'm trying to hook Senor or Watnow.

They're both dumb enough to fall for my elaborate trap. 
Watnow

Watnow

Matt King
Matt Adamson
Greg Florimo 
Watnow

Watnow

professional

professional

I'll give you Matt King, even though he did end up making the team of the year in 2009 (or 2010?). Hated seeing him play in the centres. Always infuriated me that he didn't get played on the wing.

Florimo was a fringe SOO player at the best of times and was 4-5 years removed from his last game IIRC by the time he arrived at Wigan and then Halifax.

Don't remember Adamson at all and didn't even know that he played Origin. Who did he play for in England? 
slip

slip

Admiral Ackbar! hahahah 
Watnow

Watnow

Leeds 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I'm surprised you could see through my ruse.

I'll get you next time. 
django

django

Don't forget Chris Mckenna & Willie Mason.

...and Greg Bird didn't exactly set the Super League alight.

The biggest difference between the NRL and the SL is not the intensity (Though the NRL is more intense), it's the different playing styles they adopt.

The NRL is more defence orientated where players are more careful lest they make a mistake that leads to concedeing points. The SL is more cavalier and attack orientated, they are less concerned about making mistakes as they push passes and offloads in an attempt to score.

These different styles suit different players which is why some "good" NRL players do worse in the SL than some "bad" NRL players. 
annav3

annav3

Aussies 'rate themselves' says Sinfield

Even Kevin Sinfield was surprised to win rugby league's unofficial prize for the world's best player - the Golden Boot.

However, the Leeds champion dismissed his Australian critics who believe NRL stars like Melbourne's Cameron Smith and Canterbury's Dally M Medallist Ben
Barba were better placed to win the award with Sinfield claiming Aussies "rate themselves very highly".

Sinfield, 32, looked set to go a long way to silencing the cynics when he led English Super League champions Leeds out against a star-studded Melbourne
Storm in the upcoming World Club Challenge.

But the backlash over the England captain ousting the stars of the NRL does not look like going away soon after the Englishman's response.

"The Australians probably think the NRL competition is far superior to Super League," he told BBC Sport.

"Whether they rate me or not I am not sure, but with a lot of the Australians they rate themselves very highly.

"I am not bothered or interested in what they say. If they want to have a crack then they can fire away."

Sinfield became the fourth Englishman to claim the Golden Boot, and the first since Andy Farrell in 2004.

"I am surprised to win it and I feel very fortunate," Sinfield told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

"I don't pick the award. Like everything, people have an opinion.
"When do you ever have a 100 per cent winner?"

Back in pre-season training with Leeds, Sinfield will no doubt be looking to get the last laugh in the World Club Challenge (WCC) at home ground Headingley on February 22.

Sinfield led Leeds to a 26-12 triumph over Manly at last year's WCC, sparking a big year for the 10-year Rhinos skipper.

He overcame a head knock to lead the Rhinos to their sixth Super League title in nine years while also collecting the man of the match award.

He also took Leeds to the Challenge Cup final at Wembley which they lost to Warrington.

However, eyebrows were raised over Sinfield's international efforts last year which only featured Tests against France and Wales.

"If people are not happy about it, it is not my problem," Sinfield said.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8591515 
Watnow

Watnow

Reminds me of the old Kiwi joke :
How do you know when you're in a lift with an Australian sports legend?

They tell you.

TBH most of our papers are coming off as the world's biggest sooks.

The Australians(and Kiwis) elected not to play tests so I say "Suck it up Princess's" 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I think the press and even former great players are being disrespectful to the ESL. Did you guys see bitch from Greg Alexander the other day? 
professional

professional

Don't agree at all.

I agree with the conclusion about the style of play but not the reason. SL is more open and far more entertaining to watch because of it. However, that style comes from the fact that the intensity is generally lower and more importantly, the defence is not as tough. The line speed is slower and particularly around the ruck, the NRL has a lot less space and time. The result is that in the SL there is more of an opportunity to play expansively and throw the ball around.

It isn't that there is a conscious decision in the NRL to play conservatively, it is just that if you don't you'll pay a high price eventually. 
Watnow

Watnow

Now it's more defence orientated with the exception of Leeds and Catalan who use the ball when they have it 
professional

professional

SL is always just a few years behind the NRL in most areas. For example, until recently SL was still dominated by quick runs out of dummy half that was used so successfully by the Tigers in 2005 but really died out after Melbourne started wrestling in the ruck.

SL has become more defence oriented after teams like Huddersfield and Wigan began using such tactics to great success. 
django

django

...But it's still being won by a team who want to throw the ball around. 
professional

professional

And?

In the NRL the minor premier and grand finalist was a team that threw the ball around a lot too. But you've still characterised the NRL as a conservative, defensive minded style of play.

Clearly a league is better described by the style of play exhibited generally across the league, rather than the play of a few individual teams. Leeds's style is an exception rather than a rule these days just like the Bulldogs style was. 
saints

saints

Tend to agree. He had the points on the board for the games he played. I quite like watching their games. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Who wrote this? 
saints

saints

I believe he was injured but has to wait till the game is played to see what the problem is ... ;) 
django

django

Hey, it was just a passing comment. Although wrestling has come into our league and it's had an effect, it's not had the huge effect that the previous post seemed to imply. Generally teams in the SL tend towards being attack orientated with the likes of Wigan and Huddersfield being the exceptions. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I remember when we played Wigan 2years ago how defensive they played 

Recent Rugby League Posts

tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa Springboks vs Australia Wallabies Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
tarifsetu - South Africa vs Australia live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score coverage...
tarifsetu - Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video score ...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181