professional

professional

England only played three.

Two Tests against New Zealand >>> Three Tests against Wales and France 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Ah yes, the Golden Boot award.
Another award given by a magazine.

The award Jarryd Hayne wasn't good enough to win in 2009 despite having playing one of the greatest seasons by a single player in recent memory. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

>giggle< 
Qbert

Qbert

A bit of a nothing award. How Hayne didn't win in '09 and Locky in '04 is still a mystery. This year there were no real standouts I think. Barba was great, but didn't play Origin or for Australia (not his fault I know). Smith captained the trifecta, but not in nearly as difficult circumstances as Lockyer did in '06 (which he won the award for). So while Smith had a great season, doing this alone is not enough to win the award IMO, especially as he has had better seasons than this himself. 
silverygibbon

silverygibbon

Nine good weeks does not a season make. 
professional

professional

Good thing that Hayne played more than 9 weeks then. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Hayne didn't deserve the award in '09.

Dally M Player of the year
Dally M Fullback of the year
RLW Player of the year.
RLIF Player of the year
RLIF Fullback of the year

Not bad for nine games. 
professional

professional

Hayne missing out in 2009 isn't one of the failures of the Golden Boot IMO. He had a superb year but Inglis was a deserving winner too. Inglis was a standout in Origin and in the Four Nations. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

These things will always be subjective.

And it was good to see a NSWeslhman win it. 
professional

professional

The whole Hunter Valley is very well represented in the Golden Boot past winners. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Maybe not.....but nine perfect weeks gets you to a Grand Final. 
Watnow

Watnow

International Origin Series 
professional

professional

tbh I only saw the second game of the series this year but it looked like the NRL All-Star game. I seriously hope those journalists weren't basing their decisions on what amount to glorified friendlies.

Although to be fair I think the Exiles provided more of a challenge than Wales did. 
xcade

xcade

I'm not sure they count because it isn't considered a test match. That's why NRL clubs don't release players for it. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Moimoi was fantastic that year.
But yeah...probably not Golden Boot material. 
professional

professional

No denying that Moimoi was great but that is part of my problem with the Golden Boot. There is a difference between having a great year and being the best few players in the world.

Moimoi was really good for Parramatta but lacklustre for the Kiwis and tbh guys like Graham, Peacock and Civoniceva all played as well or better than Moimoi that year.

It is the same with Sinfield. He played really well this year and has done so in previous seasons too. But that doesn't make him Golden Boot material. 
LeroyTheTiger

LeroyTheTiger

It's a real shame that the whole anti Sinfield thing has come about as i genuinely enjoy the ESL, have one club to follow in Hull FC and have picked up a couple of strugglers over the years in the Crusaders now defunct, Wakefield and now Salford as my second team, my enthusiasm for the UK games goes even deeper as I now follow teams from the Championship(s).
English Rugby League fans get to see the Majority of the NRL games while Down Under we get 2 games a week if we're lucky, it's pretty hard to be judgemental then by declaring the Golden Boot Winner as anything less than worthy, us Aussies have had a pretty fair run in winning the award since it's inauguration and now because some Pommy that 76.5 % of league fans have never heard of wins it it then makes the award a Nuffy!, just as in Cricket the rest of the world see our players and they don't always agree that we PROVIDE the best. 
xcade

xcade

I agree, I called for blood when finch got in the dream team over sinfield and I'm a Wigan supporter. Then I cried foul.again when sinfield missed out at rlif awards. I can honestly say that it is my belief sinfield was the best five eighth in the world last season and I'm personally really happy he got some recognition of note. Although I also thought josh Reynolds had a bigger impact than Thurston as well and there are plenty of people who disagree with me about that. 
Watnow

Watnow

It's an International but not a fully fledged Test 
AspleyOwl

AspleyOwl

While Barba was the best this year i dont think he would have been the Golden Boot. Sinfield was outstanding for sure this year and is there abouts every other year. 
professional

professional

I thought Inglis was as good as Barba this year at club level. He helped drag Souths to the prelims. Not to mention playing pretty well for Queensland. I still struggle to understand how he didn't get a nomination. 
Morkel

Morkel

My biggest problem with the pom getting it is because he plays in a second-rate competition. When you consider that players like Dureau are killing it over there, but was an absolute flop here, it doesn't make for good reading as to the quality of opposition that Sinfield is up against. He might be the best in the world when judged on how he performed against his peers, but put him against NRL defence and I'm sure things would be different. 
professional

professional

I don't agree with the first part. While SL may be below the NRL that doesn't mean a player can't be the best in the world in England. You can only play what is put in front of you so I don't think it is fair that an English player can't win just because the competition is lower. Sinfield has been a boss for a long time and just like James Graham and Gareth Ellis, I think he'd be very successful in the NRL too.

However, the latter point you bring up is the salient one. While Sinfield dominates for Leeds he has shown time and time again that he struggles against the best in the world. His play against Australia has been decidedly average and it is ludicrous that someone can be considered the best in the world if they can't maintain that standard against higher quality opposition.

I wouldn't mind the Golden Boot going to a player in the SL but it would have to be someone who has shown that they are quality at all levels. If Roby or Graham won it then I wouldn't be as bothered (although I don't think either are that good yet) and the same with guys like Sculthrope or Peacock a few years ago. The problem with Sinfield is that anyone with a pair of eyes knows that he has under-performed on the international stage. He is just lucky this year that he didn't have to play Australia so those deficiencies could be conveniently ignored by the monkeys running this award. 
Watnow

Watnow

I often wondered why players that aren't big names kill it over there Micheal Dobson being another example but players that are dubbed 'Origin' players are made to look like 3rd grade numpties 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168