The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Titans 2013 Lineup

Morkel

Morkel

Not many GC fans on this forum so thought I'd see who most people think will be the top 17 and who'll be chosen for captain.

I for one would still give Bailey the (c) - yeah he's likely only got a year left but he's everything you need in a captain, and deserves to go out leading. Wouldn't be surprised though if it goes to someone with a few more years in them.

As for the team, with so many quality back-rowers I think Myles will probably be pushed up to prop. Halfback is wide open, but with Sezer having size on his side, a fast, nippy halfback may be the way to go. So for now I'll go with Kelly assuming he gets his head straight.

1) Zillman
2) Mead
3) Champion / Michaels
4) Idris
5) Gordon
6) Sezer
7) Kelly
8) Bailey (c)
9) Srama
10) Myles
11) Bird
12) Taylor
13) Harrison

14) Falloon
15) Douglas
16) Miniciello
17) O'Dwyer / Ridge
18) White 
koopa111

koopa111

looks about right although highly unlikely would love to see Harrison get the captaincy very underated...... 
Morkel

Morkel

He'd be my choice if Bull is overlooked. 
professional

professional

The Gold Coast have such a bad team despite having so many awesome players. Its like their team has been assembled by a 9 year-old child. They have no balance whatsoever.

Bailey, Douglas and Myles should all be starting. Harrison and Bird are two of the best fringe back rowers in the competition and then you have Taylor as well. They are overflowing with talent and don't have enough spots for them.

Even last year they had an unbelievable pack but were so shit because they have a hopeless back line. Spread the ball two passes wide and soggy paper plates would provide better defence than the Tit's outside backs.

I can't fathom why they signed Taylor when they already had close to the best forward pack in the NRL with Bailey, Douglas, Harrison, Bird and Myles. That collection by itself is probably on par with what NSW has been putting into Origin for years.

I'm a huge fan of Bailey, Harrison, Douglas and Myles but I hope the Titans lose every single game this year as punishment for their retarded recruitment policies.

Kelly is their best option if he can keep on the straight and narrow. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Well he's signed for four years so looking long term...Bird will probably leave end of next year, Bailey and Harrison not getting any younger, who else is coming through? Ryan James seems to have dropped off the radar at this stage...

Speaking of Taylor, he should be playing prop, hopefully this happens next year. 
professional

professional

Ultimately signing quality players like Taylor will have some payoff but even then its a really bad way to build their team. In a year or two the Titans will have Douglas and Myles in the front row so Taylor would be a bit redundant and in the backrow they should also have Idris. And I acutally think they should have tried to hold onto Bird instead of Taylor anyway.

Having Taylor in the future might help but the money should have been spent elsewhere. There is no-one except Sezer in their backline who is anything more than an average NRL player. They have no-one of note coming through either and they let go of Prince and left a gaping hole in the halves.

I know the Titans did go hard after a few key position players like Cronk but their backup plan seems to be to hoard forwards like Cronulla was a couple years ago. They are just throwing money at big names without any regard to what they actually need.

I agree that Taylor should be playing prop but to be honest, that is just another reason why his recruitment is silly because Douglas and Myles are already capable of playing long minutes in the front row. Having three players of the quality on that much money is a waste. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

I disagree .....why would you want Taylor slogging it out up the middle, when quite clearly he is most damaging on the outer edges. He is best when fresh and can use his unique dexterity as a large man, to basically act as a running 5/8.

So called experts have been bagging him for playing out wide...if I were his coach, I wouldn't want him playing anywhere else.

If anyone was to move into the front row it should be Myles........he's been playing the role for the last couple years anyway, so I really can't see it be any different.

Titans certainly have the cattle up front .......dark horse contenders for 2013.

Aiden Sezer will continue to blossum.... 
Morkel

Morkel

I'll nod my head to that. But it's true, they have the worst backs in the comp. Idris showed one or two glimmers of what he was capable of last year and the team really benefited from it... for 5 minutes anyway. He needs to be doing it every game, so hopefully he's fit and injury-free. The back 3 certainly have pace, but have rarely had any space to work in. Whether it's because opportunities are blown before they get the ball, or poor positioning I'm not sure, I'll be watching closely anyway.

But I'll backup what I said last year and the year before - the biggest issue has been handling. 2011 was a write-off of a year and the first half of '12 was the same. As soon as they held the ball they hit some form. You can have the best players in the world in your team, but if the ball's being dropped you'll never build pressure, never score points and always be on the back-foot defensively. Lay off the Jiffy Lube, boys. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Zillman, Gordon and Mead are not the worst back 3 in the comp. I'll go Eels (without Hayne) before them

Indris...sure, he has been disappointing. There were glimpses last year......somebody needs to put a rocket up his arse. That someone has to be Bailey, Gilmeister or the coach. He was playing international rep footy only a couple of seasons ago ......it has to be a mental /attitude thing.

Sezor looks good ........looks perfect to build on as a NRL 5/8

Kelly ....loads of potential. Can he keep his shit together......that's the problem

I'll maintain ...they're a chance of a good show. Has Prince been the problem the last couple seasons? (I hope not....now that we've signed him :eek:)

Either way.....any thing's better than Peter Wallace. ;)

Real questions have to be asked of John Cartwright........the future of the Titans might depend on someone giving him the tap on the shoulder. 
Morkel

Morkel

Statistically his handling was pretty horrid, so that aspect wouldn't have helped. I read a few weeks back the comparison between Prince & Wallace and obviously Prince was was behind in tackle effectiveness too, but having said that Wallace would have to be one of the better ones. They'll certainly be one of the most unpredictable teams next year - they're just as likely to finish top 4 as they are to take the spoon. 
professional

professional

Prince has been a big part of the problem for the Titans over the last two years. In 2011 and the start of 2012 he was playing so shit and looked like he was cruising into retirement. When he actually picked up his game the Titans looked to be a far better team.

He is a quality player but out of form. And when your best player in a key position is a terrible then you've got no hope.

Also, Cartwright is a terrible coach. He should be the first coach sacked this year. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Taylor is too slow to defend wide. 
professional

professional

Who are their young halves coming through? I've only heard of Elgey and he doesn't seem that impressive to me. I thought the Titans were absolutely bare in terms of halves, I can't remember the last quality half who came through their system. Zillman was a gun five-eight but then they tried to turn him into a fullback and I though Sezer was a Bulldog.

Ed: Unless they bring up Brad Davis from Tweed :lol:, which would be gun except that I haven't seen him play in 2 years so I have no idea how good he still is 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Better value salary cap wise.

Beau Henry, Jordan Rankin and now Albert Kelly were all highly regarded halves coming through the ranks, they might still make it. I will say highly unlikely but there's still a chance. 
professional

professional

I think Henry is now at the Panthers. Kelly is their best option IMO but I don't see him being that great anyway. He's certainly not going to provide them with the strong halves pairing that they need if they want to avoid a season anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

I think the Titans just have a whole lot of really average prospects, which looks really reassuring on a depth chart until you realise that one of them actually has to play come game day. I don't think any of the them are really up to it tbh. I really don't rate Rankin at all and never have, he was all hype right from the beginning.

Brad Davis is looking like a better option the longer I think about it :P 
Morkel

Morkel

Brad Davis is a great Q Cup half but would be out of his depth in the NRL.

I agree when people say that Myles is better in the back row, but Myles + Taylor starting is stronger than Myles + Douglas with Taylor on the bench, at least until Bird leaves. Douglas may step it up though - he looked like he'd lost a lot of size in the last off-season and it would account for his lack of impact since leaving the Sharks. 
professional

professional

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I think he's one of the most underrated players in the comp but this year I almost mistook him for Ash Harrison sometimes. He was really thin and he was getting forced back or turned around in the tackle quite often. There was one game early in the season against the Warriors where Matulino and Packer were putting him on his arse all day.

I haven't seen Brad Davis in quite a while so it may be true now but I always thought he was desperately unlucky not to get more games in the NRL through his career. For a reserve grader I rated him very highly, he was a quality halfback. 
knitey

knitey

[h=2]Titanic battle by young halves[/h] [INDENT] Albert Kelly and Beau Henry leading candidates to join Aidan Sezer in Titans halves

By Emma Greenwood

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/12/28/1226544/800757-beau-henry.jpg
Beau Henry (pictured) and Albert Kelly are in the frame to join Aidan Sezer in the Titans' halves next season.

ALBERT Kelly and Beau Henry have emerged as the leading candidates to join Aidan Sezer in a young Titans halves combination next season.

Kelly, Henry and Jordan Rankin have trained the house down during a gruelling pre-Christmas training block, with the young trio well aware of the golden opportunity available since the surprise departure of halfback and captain Scott Prince during the off-season.

The recent signing of Marmin Barba, who is edging his way back to fitness after a knee reconstruction, has given the Titans reassuring depth in the halves but they lack significant first grade experience.

The four candidates have only 39 NRL games between them, with the total still only 57 when Sezer's 18 games since his round 7 debut last season are thrown in.

Sezer is sure to fill one spot, although whether he remains at five-eighth or takes over at halfback remains in doubt.

The pre-season efforts of Kelly, Henry and Rankin seem to have convinced the Titans not to play fullback William Zillman or hooker Matt Srama out of position and put their faith in the club's youth.

Coach John Cartwright was giving nothing away at the Titans' final pre-Christmas training session, refusing to buy into talk of a race for Prince's spot.

"It's a race for the media and for the fans to see who's in the first game but hopefully we play close to 30 games (next season) so whoever gets the jump will probably be the guy that does best through the trials," he said.

"The competition's been tremendous. We've got young halves busting to get a crack at playing first grade."

Henry said fans should not be concerned by the lack of experience in the key playmaking position, pointing to Manly halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran, who led the Sea Eagles to a premiership aged 22 and 21.

"They just played the football they know best and took a side to a grand final. It can be done," he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/albert-kelly-and-beau-henry-leading-candidates-to-join-aidan-sezer-in-titans-halves/story-e6frexnr-1226544799209 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226544799209 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/albert-kelly-and-beau-henry-leading-candidates-to-join-aidan-sezer-in-titans-halves/story-e6frexnr-1226544799209
[/INDENT] 
AspleyOwl

AspleyOwl

Alot of distractions on the coast are only part of the problem. Backs they have lacked and far too much had to rest on Princes shoulders once Preston & Rogers retired. Clubs need decent backs coaches to help mould & mature the kids coming through. They have had a wealth of young talent come from the 20's & QCUP that just fail in grade. Questions need to be addressed in this area. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I don't think the backline is that bad but I do agree that players haven't seemed to have developed as much as they should have.

That said, Gold Coast could do with a better fullback than Zillman at fullback, IMO. Anyone know if the young English fullback Matt Russell is a likely prospect? 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Champion gone, maybe now Idris can move back to the right centre where he should be. With a little more luck he might even end up in the backrow. 
AspleyOwl

AspleyOwl

The titans have always played a pretty good structure through the forwards back lack potency in the back. Idris should be coming on a unders line at pace to try and bust through or offload to zillman punching up in support. They attack sideways i think this year will be a tough year for the titans. 
xcade

xcade

Good riddance, didn't agree with signing him to begin with. I'm sick of the Titans feeling like they need to be a lifeline club. 
professional

professional

Titans need Jennings now or they will have Michaels in the centres. 
Morkel

Morkel

If they get Jennings (which I hope they do), they'll definitely be in with a chance to make the top 8, young halves or not. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...
Morrisonmen - Does anyone happen to have filmed the final of the Under 10's Gordan Tallis Cup in Townsville between Wests (brisbane) and Sarina?

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168