The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Coach Stood down

woodies

woodies

Flanagan stood down for mangement performance. Tha is he refused to betray his players and has been advocating for fair process.

Good on Flanagan. F*&( Off ASADA and NRL. Ths is a joke

Watch it all unwind. I hope they all sue. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

It was the Sharks board that took action on Flanagan. 
woodies

woodies

Yes. No doubt the pressure on their own jobs led them to think they needed to take some action. But my point is, they are being judge jury and executioner without fair process. Remember the players threatened to sue the club ad now they are offering financal incentives for players to op the ban without a hearing. This is a game of power. For management it is always about power and when your power is threatened you act with intmidation and power. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

this whole matter has mess since it was announced for political cudos in the form of general accusatory statements basically in the hope that clubs and players would stick their hands up and admit to something ASADA obviously had no concrete testing evidence for.
The result is players whether innocent or not and sports in general have tarnished reputations.
Everyone at the sharks are now scratching around in the dirt like chooks looking for a juciy worm. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

I found this on FB. Not sure of the source nor it authenticity but it's a rather interesting read. Believe what you may about what the media spin, i feel this article to be quiet the truth.

TO EVERY CRONULLA FAN. You deserve to know the truth.

The man in this picture kneeling at the end of the front row, left side, is Doctor David Givney.

This is him as the Australian Team Doctor during a recent Four Nations victory in England.

He is also a Team Doctor for NSW State of Origin.

He was the Doctor of your club up until yesterday, when he was sacked, alongside four of his colleagues including coach Shane Flanagan and physio Konrad Schultz.

Doctor Givney has been with Cronulla since 1987. This was to be his 27th season with the club.

In 2011, The Doc turned up to a pre-season game to discover that (now former) Training Manager TRENT ELKIN had employed a 'sports scientist' named Stephen Danks, who had recently left Manly after five years.

The Doc was not informed, nor consulted about this decision. In fact, efforts were repeatedly made by Elkin to keep Doctor Givney away from Stephen Danks.

Shortly after, The Doc discovered mysterious heavy bruising on some of his players. After investigating this, he discovered that Danks had been secretly injecting them with warfarin, a blood thinning medicine, in a pseudo-scientific attempt to increase oxygen flow.

Concerned about the welfare of his beloved players, the Doc confronted Danks and Elkin about what they were doing. When they refused to tell him, Doctor Givney resigned from the Sharks in protest.

The resulting uproar from the players and officials upon hearing that the Doc had quit caused the Cronulla Board to step in. They refused to accept the Doc's resignation and they fired Stephen Danks.

At no point did the Doc witness any player being administered a WADA banned substance and to his knowledge, no player ever knowingly consumed a banned substance. There are no failed drugs tests and there is no hard evidence that any Cronulla player ever took a banned substance. While Danks' practices were certainly dodgy, they weren't, in this instance, illegal.

This all happened over the course of 4 weeks in pre-season 2011. Once the Doc discovered Danks' dodgy ways, Danks was fired.

Stephen Danks was at Manly for five years and Essendon for almost two. Manly, one of the wealthiest clubs in the League, has not been questioned once about its involvement with Danks.

And TRENT ELKIN left Cronulla at the end of 2012 and now works for Parramatta. He recently turned witness for ASADA in a deal for immunity against prosecution.

These are the facts of the case and they are undisputed.

Dr David Givney was more than just a doctor to these players. He was 'The Doc', their friend and confidante, loyal to the club through thick and thin and scrupulous to the point of resigning his job to bring about the removal of a person he believed was harming his players.

The reason I am talking about David Givney a lot is because he is my father. But the other four men have families too who will also be devastated by this and my heart goes out to them.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151565201912193&set=a.10150154833772193.331480.559687192&type=1&relevant_count=1 http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c233.0.403.403/p403x403/531596_10151565201912193_1094184552_n.jpg

Mr.Sharky

Mr.Sharky

Somebody sent me that on Facebook this morning.

I've deliberately stayed off this forum since this came out, I am that heartbroken.

The past 72 hours have been incredibly hard to deal with and I'm still livid at what is going on.

It really gives me the shits that all this shit happens to us. 
knitey

knitey

You won't be the only one's Pete, your just the first. 
Mr.Sharky

Mr.Sharky

What really annoys me in all this shit Knitey is that the whole scandal erupted in the AFL south of the Murray and it looks like the mob from Windy Hill are coming out smelling like roses while we're getting shit flung at us left right and centre. 
Mr.Sharky

Mr.Sharky

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan on Triple M's Deadset Legends this morning.

http://m.soundcloud.com/grill-team/sharks-coach-shane-flanagan-on 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

And you may come out as Rosey.

Remember when news came out that The Sharks were in dire financial trouble a few yrs ago. Alot has turned around since then.

I feel for you fans and the club.

If it was a blatant unknown dealing, hopefully the real guilty person/s will be found and delt with, not the innocent ones. 
miked.62

miked.62

You know there's also a FaceBook fan page for a certain pro bike rider where thousands of fans talk about "no positive tests" and recon he's being picked on.

When all this stuff broke a month ago I knew R/L players, fans, and esp club officals didn't grasp the seriousness of the situation. These are the same rules that apply to all sports around the world. Sportsmen and women have been banned before without a positive and without the knowledge they were taking a banned substance. And if you cling to the idea this wasn't a banned substance you will be extreamly disappointed.
Cronalla won't be the only club either, they're just the 1st, and only because Elkin has provided evidence. More will follow, you wait and see. And BTW that visit payed to Elkin at his home after he became a "witness" will come back to haunt those 3 down the track. If those 3 are part of the investigation it is an offence for anyone under investigation to even talk to any of ASADA's witnesses.

I too feel for the Crunulla fans, and players, but I am a realist. You guys won't be Robinson Crusoe. 
rumackay

rumackay

Mate, the rivalry on the field is one thing (I hate the sharks) but believe me when I say most league supporters, myself included, are behind the sharks and their fans with this b/s...at least until something can be proven...then it's "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!" :P

In all seriousness I hope this all blows over pretty quick so we can get back to the footy. Keep your chin up mate 
miked.62

miked.62

Similar things have happened with the exact same drug in other sports in the US and France.

You're being naive if you even think it will "blow over". 
rumackay

rumackay

There's nothing wrong with hoping for the best as a rugby league supporter with this situation. But go ahead and fire away with "you're being naive"...can't hurt to throw those sort of things out there now can it? Unless you enjoy seeing our game getting dragged through the mud of course 
miked.62

miked.62

No I don't enjoy it, I told you I'm a realist.
With out a doubt the quickest and less painful ending for this ugly sarga is for everyone involved to cooperate fully. Their penalties will be less and we can get R/L off the front pages and all move forward.
Non cooperation from players or a board is a fast track to a 2 year ban and losing your Club's licence. 
rumackay

rumackay

Agreed 
nodd

nodd

Until ASADA or the ACC can prove something I think Cronulla should stand by there staff and players.

Obviously this hasn't happened and 4 staff seem to have been royally shafted! Bit of proof would have been handy?

If nothing is proven I hope the board are sent packing. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

The whole thing is getting messy with no substance ...so far.
Asada and the Acc could have handled the whole mess much better than they have.
The only good thing is that the sharks cant be accused of winning a competition by cheating. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Tpee - Yes Unlucky for Central Crows I was at this game this team has done exceptionally well for boys who can't train on a regular basis due to...
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168