The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Sheffield Shield Final

BringbackBRL

BringbackBRL

As of 2 minutes ago QLD were coming last on the ladder.

They're now into the final. The best climax to a season since it began 30 years ago. Every team could've made the final.

TAS vs QLD this Friday. 
View all 27 comments
Powersbronco

Powersbronco

Can't believe it. I was getting the updates online and thought at 5/120 odd with Hussey still in they might struggle to finish them off. 
knitey

knitey

Qld will flog Tassie.:( 
isaiah

isaiah

best part is we knocked nsw out, lol 
Hancock02

Hancock02

THE Australian team could learn so much from the Queensland Bulls, writes Ben Dorries. I have covered cricket in five continents, but I have never seen a more gritty, gutsy, spirited and cohesive cricket team than the one in my own backyard.
The current batch of Bulls are certainly not the most skilled players going around.
On paper, they are not a patch on some of the great Queensland sides of the 1990s and early 2000s.
Those teams had all-time state greats such as Stuart Law, Martin Love and Jimmy Maher, and were often beefed up by international players including Matthew Hayden, Andrew Symonds, Michael Kasprowicz and Andy Bichel (pictured).
The current Bulls side is hardly dripping with star power.
Many of the players would not be recognised if they walked down the Queen Street Mall. And it's not as if their averages are soaring.

Joe Burns is the only Queensland batsman in the top 12 Shield runscorers this season and up-and-coming paceman Cameron Gannon is the only Bulls bowler in the top 10 wicket-takers.
But they have that fabulous quality that is so important in most great sporting teams, a desperate desire for success and a self-belief that seems to be dripping from the emblems of their maroon caps. They just find a way to win, from any situation.
In all three domestic competitions, including the Brisbane Heat's win in the Big Bash, the Queenslanders have come back from the dead when they looked completely gone.
They won the finals of the Ryobi Cup and the Big Bash after only sneaking in, and it would surprise no one if they defended their Sheffield Shield title after hauling themselves up from last on the ladder.
Queensland chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns, the former Australian selection boss who has been associated with a stack of cricket teams, probably puts it best.
"They are scrappers. They don't give up," he told The Courier-Mail.
"Performances wise, we haven't been great this year. In fact we have probably been worse than last year.
"Once again we have scraped home, simply by not giving up."
Despite being defending champions, Queensland go into the final as underdogs against a Tasmanian side that has Ricky Ponting and a host of Australian players.
On paper, Tasmania should win.
Queensland's State of Origin league side is rightly the pride of a sporting-mad state after seven series wins in a row, but the state should be proud of the Bulls.
Michael Clarke must wish some of his Australian players had half as much application, desperation, drive, sheer bloody-mindedness and will to win.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/national-side-should-run-with-the-bulls/story-fnebagvh-1226601021863 
Dogga

Dogga

Wouldn't be so sure 
knitey

knitey

It could be a wet start, heavy rain forecast for down here, Thur, Fri, Sat.

Hope the game doesn't get washed out. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

Aren't we.. I mean QLD... without a couple of players ie Hopes and McDermot ? Obviously no Khawaja while he sits on the sidelines in India.. he better play for Australia this weekend to justify him not being at the Final for QLD.. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

The Hopes had a baby girl. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

We submitted a request for him to come home, it was denied. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Hopesy checked in and on his way to Hobart. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Extremely doubtful.

Ponting, Doolan and Silk will be very dangerous and Butterworth will swing it around a lot with Hilfy. 
knitey

knitey

It's absolutely bucketing down in Hobart at the present, my grandson is going to walk around to Bellerive and have a look at the ground and wicket. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

woot woot.. that's good news. Sorry to hear that Hopesy will miss the first week of his newborn.. but as a fan great to see he is playing. 
Dogga

Dogga

Yep great news, he steps it up a notch in Shield finals so we will def. need him at his best if we are to have a chance, especially with being place 2nd 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Silk 104

Tas 3/240 
nodd

nodd

c'mon Bulls, another come from behind win??? 
knitey

knitey

Nooooooo........Carn the Tigers. 
saints

saints

Qld still stumbling on ... :lol: 
nodd

nodd

Well done Tigers. Another good season. 
matthew

matthew

Why didn't Queensland have a dash at the total? A draw is just as bad as a loss for them.

Well done to Tassie they were the best side all year no doubt boosted by having Ponting for a good portion of the season. 
saints

saints

England crawled to a draw in NZ. They laugh at us - in INDIA but they have a 3 test draw-a-thon in NZ. Which is worse ? 
Goodsy

Goodsy

I watched that last day yesterday, I actually really enjoyed it, though it was a thrilling piece of cricket.. England did well to hang on in the end, especially considering they only lost 5 wickets on the last day.... though there were not many demons in it.

Our position is much worse then what England just went through.. atleast England showed fight, grit and held on and were in a position to win Tests during the series. As for Australia, we just got embarrased and were being hammered inside 3 and 4 days.. only way we got it to a 5th day was due to a day being washed out. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

Oh.. and good on Tassie for the victory.. hope it stirs Ponting on for another season domestically.. would like to see him go round again.

Shame we could not win all formats in the one season this year. But nevermind, a great season had by QLD.. 
knitey

knitey

On the local news this morning they said that Ponting was keen to go around another year with the Tigers. 
BringbackBRL

BringbackBRL

Are you a QLDer? Knew there was something good about you.

How did you end up with the burden of Manly hanging over you? 
Goodsy

Goodsy

haha - I'm not born in QLD, though practically lived my whole life in Brisbane so I consider myself a QLDer.. I was just never a fan of the Broncos, I watched a Manly game when I was young and liked their style and just followed them ever since.. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Posts

Game by Game Discussions