The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Homework

Hancock02

Hancock02

MEMO to Australia's cricket selectors: Since none of you could be bothered making it to Hobart for the Sheffield Shield final,we can tell you what you missed. Given the wipeout in India and the diabolical state of Australian cricket, this dossier should be a tool in helping you, as in John Inverarity etc, pick Australia's Ashes squad this winter.
This is what learned by making the trip to blustery Bellerive and taking a keen interest in some of Australia's best domestic players.
Four Australian players were sacked in India for not doing their homework but, don't worry, we have done the homework for selectors this week.

Ryan-Harris

1. Ryan Harris must be the second player picked for the Ashes, behind only skipper Michael Clarke. By watching on TV, you wouldn't have seen exactly how much grunt work this bloke puts in. And how he thinks batsmen out - using his brains to cut and swing the ball around, long after his body has tired. Still the best bowler in Australia, when fit, and is a must-have for the Ashes. We recommend you cherry pick him to play in two or three of the five Tests.

Luke-Butterworth

2. Luke Butterworth is a better allrounder than new Test cap Moises Henriques. That's Butterworth with a B. He might not be from NSW but this no-nonsense cricketer deserves Ashes consideration. Consider these stunning stats - more than 200 first-class wickets at an average of 23. And throw in a batting average of almost 27, and with big runs from No.9 in the Shield final. Also, James Faulkner's fabulous slower balls could be a weapon in Test cricket as well as limited overs cricket. Got two wickets with deliveries out of the back of the hand which were harder to pick than a broken nose.

Chris-Hartley

3. Chris Hartley and Tim Paine are Australia's best two wicketkeepers. They were playing in the Shield final by the way. Given Matthew Wade is hardly setting the world on fire, you might have made the trip to Hobart just to see how these glovemen were going. You would have been impressed. You may not have heard of Hartley, he is from Queensland after all, but he is a sensational gloveman. And Paine -who played four Tests a few years ago - hit some nice form in the final.

George-Bailey

4. Forget about George Bailey. We understand you are thinking of taking him to England as a reserve batsman - but please don't bother. Another duck in this game and he averages 18 from eight Shield games this season. With just one fifty.

Jordan-Silk

5. Tasmanian Jordan Silk is one for the future. Unsure if you have heard of him, although you probably have because he was raised in NSW. But he's a 20-year-old opening batsman who has two centuries from his first three Shield games. We loved the way he pulled his head in and batted dourly and conservatively in the Shield final. If you were here, you would have heard Queensland giving him a verbal barrage. But he's a cool customer this kid. Too soon for the Ashes . . . but put a circle around him in your little black books.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/cricket/what-the-australian-selectors-missed-by-snubbing-the-sheffield-shield-final/story-e6frepmo-1226607335913

All very true. 
View all 51 comments
Hancock02

Hancock02

Players will always go on tour and not play a Test, will happen to one or two guys for the Ashes too.

Who are the best players you think should of gone? 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Players miss tests for not doing homework but selectors are too lazy to show up at domestic cricket final? Poor form. 
sexysteve

sexysteve

That's a fair point, isn't it.

With regards to the article itself, I'm just wondering why it can't be correct (which it is) and anti-NSW (which it is) at the same time? 
MrChook

MrChook

You lying piece if shit. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Agreed. It is a bad look. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Oh dear, proven wrong again. Post 16, quoted and referred to in other posts after that.

It has unravelled badly for you. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Complete overreaction Hancock.

You're smarter than that.
At least I thought you were. 
MrChook

MrChook

Not once in post 16 did I say the article was bullshit you f*cking idiot. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

You can't be this stupid! It's my post you asked where I quoted you calling it nothing but bullshit!

I'll help you get it right- your original quote was post 9. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

True which is why it gets frustrating when the sum of someone's knowledge is to say a stupid comment. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Of course it can to any logical person. Why shouldn't people refer to the shambles state New South Wales cricket is and reflect on the unfairness of their players being looked at first.

Can't keep a coach, can't keep a CEO, ex players bagging them all summer, can't keep players as they flock to leave and can't make a single final but guys get a run for Tests. But of course don't dare say anything or it's just written off as anti NSW. No joke if you're pro having a clue how to run a state cricket side you're anti NSW. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Wait a minute.....isn't Shane Watson from Queensland? 
sexysteve

sexysteve

He's been everywhere, man. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I'm just confused since Hancock used him to illustrate a point on how New South Welshmen are getting all the looks-in.

He was playing Tests for Australia well before he became a NSW player, and he's barely played any games for the Blues anyway.

He has a fair point on the others, but it's definitely not fair to throw Watson in there just to make it sound worse. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

Just to answer the first part for now.. you're right their has been and always will be players not picked for the XI from the touring squad. Though I would generally consider those type of players to be young players really just picked for the touring experience etc or the team has been performing well so don't change a winning squad..

Khawaja does not fit into either of those 2 categories, has already played for Australia and our batsmen struggled to make runs..

I just find it weird that in the 4 Tests that we were convincingly beaten they could not find a spot for him once.. wether he should have made the squad or not is irrelevant... considering he was in the squad and not picked is as I said, mind boggling. Especially because he missed the final for QLD whcih would have been big game experience (domestically) for him... CA instead preferring to go to bits and pieces players.. 
MrChook

MrChook

Ok now I see where you are getting confused. Clearly I'm referring to those two quotes I underlined and not the entire context of the article which you have mistakenly claimed I have done.

Others noticed what I was alluding to, not my fault you aren't clever enough to notice it like anyone else and have massively overreacted. Or, more likely, you deliberately twisted my words in a vain attempt to back out of the dunce corner you put yourself in. 
Dogga

Dogga

Everyone knows there always has been a NSW bias in selecting the test team. Especially now it is being shown haw farcical is it , and its even worse now considering M.Clarke just gets to pick his NSW mates. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

[violin] 
Hancock02

Hancock02

He kind of does fit those, he is young, he hasn't played a Test for a while and he has things to fix. He isn't a great player of spin and was suspended too. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

I wasn't thinking that deeply about it, it just became a list of underperforming NSW players. Hughes doesn't play for NSW either now so not really fair to include him either!

Point was if you're playing out of Sydney or from Sydney the spotlight seems to fall upon you with ease. 
zepha75

zepha75

My remedy for Australian cricket is to hire that 4 year old girl who is better than most of our Australian cricketers ;) 
Goodsy

Goodsy

What I mean by young, for example a young guy like Joe Burns with no experience in/around the Australian squad... Khawaja has already played for Australia and yeah been dumped etc etc...

I would think a lot of people would consider Hughes lucky to have played the whole series..

Do you not feel considering the failings with our bat this series we should not have gone to another batsman in the squad.. or would you prefer that Maxwell, Henriques and Smith were all played instead.. or that Hughes/Cowan retained their spots ?

* the other players in the squad who were suspended were still selected to play following Test/s.. 
Dogga

Dogga

We didn't have enough cricketers on tour, too many blokes that play cricket (ie Maxwekk, Henriques, Smith)

Let's not forget that Clarke used Pattinson terribly in the first test, just abhorrently . He had what 2/24 odd or something was taken off then only bowled another 4 overs or some rubbish . How you can lose a test series 4-0 as an Australian captain and still have the job is beyond me. 
Dogga

Dogga

Yep , it's sad because it's true. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

We just produced the best players for such a long time....just become a force of habit is all. 
Goodsy

Goodsy

I thought this to be a good article from Ian Chappell about Australias batting... especially the quote by Ponting towards the end.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/626895.html 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Posts

Game by Game Discussions