The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Which grand final loss hurt the most?

annav3

annav3

http://www.stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/1994.html

1994 grand final (source wikipedia)

The Canberra Raiders were confident in the lead up and everything played into their hands from the whistle. Canterbury veteran prop Martin Bella dropped the ball from the kick-off and before too long Canberra had posted two tries.

Canberra legend Mal Meninga was given a champion's farewell as his "Green Machine" swamped the Bulldogs.[3] Canberra's Paul Osborne also enjoyed a fairytale day. On the outer for most of the year, Osborne won a reprieve as prop after team-mate John Lomax was suspended for a high tackle in the final against Norths. Osborne rose to the occasion, setting up the first two Raiders tries in the opening sixteen minutes.

Meninga's 166th and final match for the Raiders ended perfectly when he scored the last try of the day after intercepting a pass from Jason Smith. Meninga outlasted the cover defence, running almost 40 metres and palming off his opposite centre Jarrod McCracken to score the try and send the crowd into raptures.

The Canberra Raiders had claimed their third premiership in what was at the time the highest-scoring grand final in history.

Canberra Raiders 36
Tries: Nagas 2, Furner, Daley, Nadruku, Croker, Meninga
Goals: Furner 4/7

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 12
Tries: Williams, Hetherington
Goals: Halligan 2/2

annav3

annav3

Marty Bella... 
alchemist

alchemist

i always expected us to lose to the Broncos in '98 and so, it didn't hurt too much when Brisbane put us to the sword in the 2nd half that game... i was also very sceptical against the Storm this year as i felt that we didn't have the halves to win... '79 was before my time

the 2 that stick out are the '94 mauling by the Raiders and the '86 loss to the Eels but i have to choose '86 
annav3

annav3

Match Review

The Brisbane Broncos won the Australian National Rugby League (NRL) premiership with a 38-12 victory over Canterbury in Sunday's grand final at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The Broncos ran in seven tries in response to Canterbury's two to end the Bulldogs' dreams of a fairytale win as the Broncos claimed their fourth title in seven years.

Canterbury qualified for the playoffs only after winning its last four games of the regular season. Then they remarkably won four sudden-death matches in succession to reach the grand final.

Brisbane who came from 12-10 behind at halftime comprehensively outplayed Canterbury on Sunday as the Broncos scored 28 unanswered points in the second half.

"We just couldn't get a groove in the first half. They just stopped our momentum completely," Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett said.

"It wasn't until we got that first try in the second half that we really got going but we were really on fire after that."

Brisbane won the Australian Rugby League title in 1992 and 1993 as well as last year's Super League title when the competition was split by the war for control of the game.

With the code reunited this season under the NRL banner, the Broncos were tipped as the team to beat.

They finished the regular season as the highest-placed team and although they lost one of their playoff matches they went into the grand final as the shortest-priced favorites in the 91-year history of the game in Australia.

Even so, the Bulldogs, who had won their last two matches in extra time to reach the grand final, were the better side in the first half of Sunday's match.

The Broncos raced to a 6-0 lead after just four minutes when winger Michael Devere scored in the left-hand corner and fullback Darren Lockyer converted.

But the Bulldogs hit back, first through a penalty from winger Daryl Halligan in the 11th minute then from a try under the posts by second rower Tony Grimaldi that Halligan converted in the 22nd minute.

The Broncos regained the lead in the 28th minute when replacement Kevin Campion scored out wide after a sweeping backline movement but the Bulldogs again hit back.

Second rower Steven Price split the Brisbane line then drew the defense to put center Willie Tanau in for the touchdown nine minutes before the interval.

The second half was all Brisbane, however. The Broncos hit the front just two minutes after the re-start when lock Tonie Carroll crossed under the posts.

Winger Wendell Sailor scored out wide eight minutes later as Canterbury's players began to show signs of fatigue.

Brisbane second rower Gorden Tallis, who was named man of the match, put the game out of Canterbury's reach when he touched down under the posts in the 58th minute before the Broncos completed their win with two late tries to hooker Phillip Lee and center Darren Smith.

"We were pretty confident at halftime but we started the second half poorly and things just got away from us," Canterbury hooker Jason Hetherington said.

"I suppose we did pretty well just to get this far but they were far too good for us."

http://thebulldogs.com.au/sportal.php?page=match_results&id=1318 
annav3

annav3

Abz

Abz

I prefer best GF win :D

slip

slip

I'll give you a run down on the 1986 Grand Final.

It was a cold and overcast day with slight drizzle. The first game U23's was Souths v Penrith I think, but can't remember who won, the Reserve grade Grand Final was won by the Roosters defeating the Eels and during the game an actual rooster ran onto the field and had to be caught and taken back over the fence. The big game, Parra v Bulldogs and every player from both teams were called out to the crowd as they ran onto the field one by one. Early in the first half Mick Cronin missed two penalty goals from in front after he arrived late to the game, held up in traffic because there was a car accident on the highway heading to Sydney. Cronin finally kicked a penalty goal and the Eels led 2-0 at halftime. The second half was exactly the same as the first, a defensive game, but midway through the half Steve Mortimer chipped kicked and was taken out by Sterlo which gave the Bulldogs a penalty and Terry Lamb kicked the goal. Cronin eventually kicked another penalty goal, from the sideline again and the Eels had a 4-2 lead as the Bulldogs were very ill-disciplined giving penalty after penalty away. The Bulldogs were very aggressive in the ruck and Ray Price copped many behind the scenes foul play from Langmack and co, although in the final 10 minutes the Bulldogs were coming on strong, wave after wave with their attack, but the Eels defense held them in the end.

slip aged 12 years old that year, rode his push bike home from his mates place while wearing his blue and gold colours, very happy about the win. 
stevevw

stevevw

yeah i remember Dave Gillespie lost a finger leading up to the game and had to pull out. phil sigsworth gave away a couple of stupid penalties when we were attacking parras line. it was so close and it could have gone either way. no tries scored so it sort of feels like it was a dead rubber. the talk was we could have went on to win 5 years in a row but trouble started in the admin and it affected us on the field. parra and the dogs dominated the 80s with dogs winning in 80, 84 and 85 and parra 81,82,83. it was 3 all going into the game so if any team was going to beat us it was parra. they had great backs in sterlo, kenny, grothe, Cronin and ella but their forwards weren't as good as ours. they bolstered up their forward pack in 86 and matched us on the day. we went onto win the 88 gf under Gould so it ended up 4 each. we had some great forwards back then with tunks, Kelly, mark bugden, billy Johnson, Gillespie, langmack, folks, Jeff robo, Paul Dunn, brain battese, Sargent and whitbread.. of course we had the Mortimers, terry lamb, farrah, Hagen who is assistant coach of qld and mick potter who is coach of the west tigers. 
alchemist

alchemist

Kenny also had a couple tries disallowed in '86, if i remember correctly 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Please say '86.....please say '86....please say '86.....please say '86..... 
alchemist

alchemist

easily the '86 loss... had to go to school and listen to all those idiots chanting "Balmain down the drain, Bulldogs are hogs, Parramatta up the ladder!"

f*%#ers! 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I can just imagine TSQ chanting that :lol: 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Even I'm not that dumb.
The shit that kids come up with. 
alchemist

alchemist

ah well, infancy... and it is a chant no one has heard since 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
zahidkhan06 - http://www.allhereget.com/?p=102Watch all kinds of Sports like Rugby, NCAA, Soccer, NFL, CFL, AFL, MLS, MLB, NBA, NHL, Boxing , Tennis, F...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181