The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Rumours, Recruitment & Retention news

Alsss

Alsss

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/bulldogs-to-target-slater-or-dugan/story-e6frg7mf-1225875714027

THE Bulldogs could target Melbourne Test fullback Billy Slater or rising Canberra sensation Josh Dugan if veteran No 1 Luke Patten takes up an offer to play with English club Huddersfield.
The Dogs' interest in Slater came as a second French rugby union club, believed to be Montpellier, approached Greg Inglis's management to express an interest in the Storm star.
Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg confirmed to The Weekend Australian yesterday he would be interested in Slater and Dugan, although the club is also considering shifting former Toyota Cup star Ben Barba to the last line of defence if Patten moves on.
Patten has a get-out clause in his contract to join the English Super League and the Giants are believed to have made a three-year offer to the Bulldogs custodian as a replacement for Brett Hodgson.
Ben Hannant has already announced he will return to Brisbane at the end of the year. If Patten and captain Andrew Ryan, who has also been linked with Super League, leave, the Bulldogs would have more than enough room under the salary cap to chase either Slater or Dugan.
Slater is committed to staying at the Storm but may have no choice but to move once an audit is completed this month into the club's salary cap breaches, while Dugan is off contract at the end of next season and has already attracted attention from the Sydney Roosters. "We understand the salary cap rules [at the NRL] say you can't speak to a player until he is in the final year of his contract and we absolutely respect that," Greenberg said. "Given the service that Luke has provided to this club and out of pure respect for the role that he's played here, we'll wait on his decision."
The Bulldogs are also chasing Manly halfback Trent Hodkinson and hope to have that matter resolved when player manager George Mimis returns from England next week. www.theaustralian.com.au/.../bulldogs...slater...dugan/story-e6frg7mf-1225875714027[/COLOR] 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Hodkinson signs with Bulldogs 3 year deal

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/gone-to-the-dogs/ 
SonicStar

SonicStar

You think he's worth over 800k for 3 seasons? 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Not at this stage of his career but who knows, he may justify it over the next few seasons (I doubt it, but I'll leave it open). 
SonicStar

SonicStar

He hasn't played for a year. 
annav3

annav3

big risk but what do we do? Kimmorley is passed his used by date, what other options do the dogs have? 
SonicStar

SonicStar

What happens with Barba? 
annav3

annav3

he isn't an organiser as was evident when we played the Panthers a few weeks ago. I think he should play in the centres, there has been talk that he should play in the fullback question

it is a good question of which I don't know if anybody knows at this stage 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Hodkinson is a very good purchase. Bulldogs had to pay overs to get him but I suppose it had to be done. Far better off with him than say Mortimer.

As for Barba, he's more likely to replace Patten or whoever plays five eighth next year (Hodkinson if Kimmorley stays on or Roberts) 
SonicStar

SonicStar

If Barba is a future five-eighth they really should stick him in there now to get some experience.

I don't rate him to make it in the halves in the NRL.

Fullback is his best chance to cement a first grade starting position as long as he can handle defusing bombs. 
annav3

annav3

He should retire...

[U]Kimmorley admits future unclear after Bulldogs lure Manly's Hodkinson[/U]

Veteran halfback Brett Kimmorley is uncertain what impact Canterbury's signing of Trent Hodkinson will have on his future, with the young gun's arrival at the Bulldogs threatening to force him into a significant pay cut or retirement.

The 33-year-old is facing the prospect of either playing for a reduced fee in 2011 or ending his career and slotting into a coaching role at the Bulldogs. Canterbury are yet to announce their acquisition of the 21-year-old Hodkinson from Manly, but Sea Eagles officials have confirmed his pending departure from Brookvale Oval.

''He's going to the Bulldogs,'' Manly chief executive Graham Lowe said yesterday.

The City Origin halfback will play out the season at Manly before linking with the Bulldogs in 2011. Despite having made only 12 NRL appearances he has been lured to the Bulldogs on a lucrative three-year deal worth about $800,000.

Hodkinson's signing has immediate implications for Kimmorley. Off contract at the end of the season, the discarded NSW No.7 was hoping to be granted another year at Canterbury by Bulldogs chief Todd Greenberg and coach Kevin Moore.

However, the signing of Hodkinson, to be announced this week, leaves the out-of-sorts Kimmorley at the crossroads. He is very highly regarded throughout the club, which he joined from Cronulla in 2009, but would have to take a substantial pay cut to remain on the playing list next year.

''We had a meeting with Todd and 'Kevvy' last Thursday and they were waiting on an answer from [Hodkinson],'' Kimmorley said. ''They told me they were very keen to get him. I've been kept in the loop about it.

''I suppose it depends now what happens after they announce it. I have been in discussions with Todd and Kevvy and we'll have to sit down and talk about it again now.''

Kimmorley, who has already begun a media career with Fox Sports, has ruled out heading overseas for a stint in the Super League should he be surplus to requirements at Canterbury next year. His manager, George Mimis, is expected back from England this week to resume discussions with Greenberg and Moore. The Bulldogs have indicated he could move into a coaching role once his playing days are over as they regard him as a valuable asset off the field.

If Kimmorley's time is up at the Bulldogs it would likely mean the end of a decorated 16-year first-grade career with several clubs highlighted by 20 Tests for Australia, 10 State of Origin matches and a premiership with Melbourne in 1999.

Manly confirmed their promising rookie halfback was leaving after they were unable to seriously counter Canterbury's offer.

''It's disappointing for us but I think it's great for Trent,'' Lowe said. ''We've given him a chance this year and he's taken full advantage of it. He's made his representative debut as well and I think there is more of that to come for him. He certainly goes with our blessing.''

Lowe said the Sea Eagles would be on the lookout for a replacement but former Manly halfback Matt Orford, who is angling for a return to the NRL from English club Bradford Bulls, was not being considered. ''He's not on the scene,'' Lowe said.

Orford is also managed by Mimis and the halfback's homesickness was reportedly the reason for the agent's visit to England.

Lowe said that even with a review of the salary cap and a projected $300,000 rise in the spending limit, the Sea Eagles would have been unable to compete for Hodkinson.

''We'll look internally before we look externally - we've got some good younger players coming through.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/kimmorley-admits-future-unclear-after-bulldogs-lure-manlys-hodkinson-20100614-yacj.html 
BigDog

BigDog

I really do hope that Hodkinson will be a good buy and that the money spent is justified. I am very concerned that he will be battling 2nd year syndrome next year as well as having the massive responsibility of leading our team around the park and coming up with the big plays to get us off the bottom of the ladder. I was very happy Mortimer stayed with the eels for this reason. Hopefully Hodkinson has a great debut season for us and builds on it for the rest of his contract/time with the bulldogs. I have a feeling we will need to be very patient and supportive of lad and not expect too much from him. 
alchemist

alchemist

agreed 
annav3

annav3

Joel Romelo seems to progressing well how long have we got him signed up for?

NSW Cup Take Home Another Win
15/06/2010 11:43:30 AM

The Bulldogs NSW Cup travelled to Charlestown to take on the Central Coast Centurions on Saturday and the home team were hoping to repeat their round one performance when they defeated the Bulldogs by 10-points.

The Bulldogs had other ideas and after just six minutes, lock forward Nathan Smith went over and with the conversion from Josh Reynolds, the visitors skipped to a 6-0 lead.

It was a tight tussle before in the 17th minute Daniel Harrison created space for Shane Neumann who beat three defenders to cross over the line and two minute later, Josh Reynolds spotted an opening and sprinted to the try line to take the Bulldogs to an 18-0 lead.

Some unforced errors from the Bulldogs allowed the Centurions to score a converted try at the 25 minute mark, to take it to an 18-6 score line.

Two missed opportunities followed. The first was a spectacular chase from Joel Romelo, to a bomb in the in-goal and a dive to ground the ball only to be denied by the referee who ruled he lost control of the ball. The next was when Ben Barba chipped through and gathered the ball, then passing it on to Romelo who was racing towards to the post before the referee halted play and ruling a support player was offside.

The subsequent penalty put the Centurions on the attack, scoring a converted try just before the half-time break, and reducing the margin to 18-12.

A minute into the second half, Reynolds threw a great ball to Heka Nanai, who crossed in the corner for his first try of the afternoon. With a great conversion, the Bulldogs extended their lead back to 12-points.

Central Coast hit back with two converted tries and scores were tied but a turnover from the Centurions allowed Nanai to cross for his second try. Reynolds again converted from the sideline and the Bulldogs again took the lead with 22 minutes remaining in the game.

The Bulldogs defence stepped it up a notch and after converted tries to Rhys Jack and Harlan Alaalatoa, they were comfortably in the lead, 42-24. However, two late tries to Central Coast reduced the final margin, 42-32.

Coach Justin Holbrook lamented the last few minutes of play in the first half with the penalty against Romelo followed by the try to Central Coast creating a 12-point turnaround, “We should have gone into the break 24-6 and being comfortable, but at 18-12 we had a fight on our hands. The boys pulled together when it counted and we are happy to go away with the win."

Best for the Bulldogs were Josh Reynolds, Mickey Paea, Daniel Harrison, Joel Romelo and Heka Nanai.

Tries - Heka Nanai 2, Nathan Smith, Shane Neumann, Josh Reynolds, Rhys Jack and Harlan Alaalatoa.
Goals - Josh Reynolds 7

Source: [U] http://www.bulldogs.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=26813 [/U] 
BigDog

BigDog

Hi All,

Most of you might already know about Daniel Harrison but I thought I would post it anyway.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/bulldogs-back-rower-moves-back-to-brookie/ 
annav3

annav3

very dissappointing news about Daniel Harrison, we let him go and kept Warburton..enough said..

did the dogs dodge a bullet by not signing up Daniel Mortimer? 
annav3

annav3

Salford signal intent with offer for Canterbury Bulldogs' Andrew Ryan

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2010/6/21/1277137160564/Andrew-Ryan-006.jpg

Andrew Ryan remains one of the most respected forwards in Australia. Photograph: David Callow/AP

Salford have signalled their intent to compete more strongly in the http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/superleague Super League next season by making an offer to Andrew Ryan, the Canterbury Bulldogs second-row who has won 11 Test caps and remains one of the most respected forwards in Australia.
The City Reds have failed to make much of an impact since being awarded a Super League licence last year, mainly because of financial limitations as their plans to move to a new stadium have suffered a number of frustrating delays. But now that work has finally begun on the stadium, the long-serving Salford chairman, John Wilkinson, is keen to strengthen the squad for 2011 to ensure a fitting final season at The Willows, and to allow them to hit the ground running assuming they are granted another Super League licence from 2012.
The club have already sprung a major surprise by persuading Daniel Holdsworth, the Australian stand-off whose outstanding performances this season had alerted several of Salford's rivals, to sign a new three-year contract. Now they hope that Holdsworth's friendship with Ryan, a former Canterbury team-mate, will help them to secure an equally significant signing.
"We have made him an offer but it's a bit difficult with the exchange rate at the moment, so we've got to see how we go," said Salford's football manager, Steve Simms. "I don't think anybody thought that Daniel was going to stay with us but he did, because he's a loyal person and he thinks something exciting can happen at the club in the next couple of years. With the new stadium on the way, we want to leave The Willows with a bit of a bang."
Ryan's current Canterbury team-mate Luke Patten is expected to join Huddersfield as a replacement full-back for Brett Hodgson, the club captain and reigning Super League Man of Steel who has already signed a two-year contract with Warrington.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/21/salford-andrew-ryan-canterbury-bulldogs 
annav3

annav3

Bulldogs’ Daniel Harrison eyes NRL start with Sea Eagles

http://express.whereilive.com.au/sport/list/category/rugby-league/
22 Jun 10 @ 04:59pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN

http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/2010/06/21/c43bf25534c347bf015de50ca628775a_resized.jpg
Daniel Harrison in action at the NSW Cup.

PROMISING Bulldogs backrower Daniel Harrison believes he can crack into the NRL at the Sea Eagles next year after agreeing to join the club.
Harrison, 22, a Central Coast junior, has agreed to terms to link with Manly on a three-year deal.
Once seen as a future NRL player at Canterbury after being named the club’s inaugural Toyota Cup player of the year in 2008, Harrison has struggled to progress at Belmore after missing virtually all of last season with a knee injury.
“It was pretty bad, I was pretty disappointed when I first did it,” he said of the injury which led to a knee reconstruction.
“It shook my confidence and it took me a bit of time to get over it. I think I’m pretty good and I’m over the injuries, hopefully.”
Having played under-16s and 18s at the Sea Eagles, a move to back to Brookvale was the natural option for Harrison.
And now injury-free, the Gosford-born youngster is ready to deliver for Manly in 2011.
“Opportunity wise, I don’t think I had a chance at the Bulldogs,” Harrison said.
“I just thought there were too many blokes in front of me so I thought I’d try somewhere else.
“I’d like to do that (play NRL). It is my goal and something to push for next year.”
Harrison, who plays second-row with Canterbury’s NSW Cup team, will leave the club with no ill-feelings.
“I’m still happy at the Dogs, I’ve spoken to Kevin Moore (head coach) and he seemed to be disappointed, but I suppose, that’s the way it goes,” he said.

http://express.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/bulldogs-daniel-harrison-eyes-nrl-start-with-sea-eagles/ 
pete2

pete2

lol.. 
Watnow

Watnow

I heard that Catalans were looking at Ryan 
SavageSav

SavageSav

I'm not overly sure the Keating Hodgkinson signings are going to be what we need to completely turn things around.
I think we should have had a good crack at Cronk like the others seem to be doing.

Anyone heard anything about the Inglis rumour tot he Dogs? 
broncos777

broncos777

Anybody rekon Mason will be at the Dogs next year? 
alchemist

alchemist

no... i think he will stay in Townsville 
DoggiesFan1

DoggiesFan1

Am I the only one that thinks Hodkinson at half, Keating at 5/8 and Barba at fullback could mean some exciting times ahead? Three good young players and when you throw in Tolman, Morris (if he stays), Idris (hands can be ordinary at the moment but experience will improve that and he will be some footballer!!!) etc I think we've got the makings of a the youngest and most exciting rosters we've had in years! If a couple of the young forwards step up to the mark with a couple of old hard heads like Hodgson and Ennis leading with experience i reckon the mix could be good in the next few years. After reading the posts on here I must have it very very wrong because no one else seems keen???????

For the record you can keep Willie Mason well away from the blue and white jersey!! 
SavageSav

SavageSav

It does sound good, but Hodgkinson for mine still has to prove himself. Keating & Hodgkinson apparantly had a good repoir, but this is now 1st grade level and they still have to gel here AND work in with a team.
Just think we need Eastwood / Blair and KEEP Morris then I'd be content and figure us a real top 4 team. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - I haven't heard that school mentioned a lot lately from up that way David. Normally it's the Innisfails/Willows/Belgian Gardens etc that ...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181