The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Rumours, Recruitment & Retention news

annav3

annav3

[INDENT][U]Manly bank on salary cap increase to retain rising star Hodkinson[/U]

CHRIS BARRETT AND GREG PRICHARD
June 3, 2010

Manly boss Graham Lowe admits the Sea Eagles cannot match the cash that Canterbury are throwing at rookie halfback Trent Hodkinson but remains hopeful they can keep the exciting 21-year-old at Brookvale Oval beyond this year.

Hodkinson, who made his City Origin debut last month after playing only six NRL games, has been offered a three-year deal by the Bulldogs valued at a reported $270,000 a season and Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg hopes to have an answer this week.

''[An offer of] $270,000 a year is not in our range, that's for sure,'' Lowe said. ''But I think there's a bigger picture to look at. I think there's a lot of things for him to weigh up and I'm sure he'd be the first to recognise the value that Des [Hasler] has been for him. As far as wrapping everything up this week, we're certainly not rushing anything.''

Lowe said the Sea Eagles were anxious to find out if speculation that there would be a significant rise in the salary cap for next season was on the money. It could be a boost to their chances of retaining Hodkinson.

He said the club could not formalise an offer to Hodkinson until it knew what the cap situation would be. ''It's difficult for us at the moment because we need to know exactly what the NRL is doing with the cap,'' Lowe said. ''And I'm sure there are plenty of other clubs who need to get some information on that front. We obviously want to keep Trent and we'll do everything we can to keep him.

''It sounds like Trent has had a fantastic offer from outside and I respect that, but I'm convinced he hasn't done anything yet and that he won't do anything until he finds out what we can do. We just need to find out what's happening with the cap so we can get all of our ducks in a row.''

Greenberg said the signing of Hodkinson would not rule out the Bulldogs retaining veteran halfback Brett Kimmorley for another season.

Meanwhile, rookie Melbourne fullback Gareth Widdop has been chosen in England's squad for their Test against France at Leigh on June 12 after playing only two first-grade games. Gareth Ellis (Wests Tigers) and Sam Burgess (South Sydney) are the other Australian-based players in Steve McNamara's 19-man squad.

The 21-year-old Widdop is one of three uncapped players in the squad for the clash at Leigh Sports Village. McNamara said: ''I have done a lot of research on Gareth, who is already a very good player with the potential to be an outstanding one.''

Meanwhile, the NRL board yesterday agreed to a rule change in relation to corner posts, with contact with them no longer rendering a player out of play. The rule change is immediate.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-bank-on-salary-cap-increase-to-retain-rising-star-hodkinson-20100602-wzvo.html
[/INDENT] 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Barba to play fullback?

If he can handle the high ball he would go alright there. 
annav3

annav3

this paper is behind the times with the rumour mill, Dugan signed with Roosters weeks ago

alchemist

alchemist

Maitua has had his chance and blown it... i don't think any club should be looking at signing him 
alchemist

alchemist

its not about the fullback spot

the Dogs struggle making metres, have no impact in the back row (unlike previous years) and struggle creatively in the halves... if they don't have the players coming thru the ranks in those positions, then that is where their recruitment should be aimed

i don't think signing a $500,000 a season fullback is the answer, especially when Barba could develop into a very good fullback IMO 
annav3

annav3

you reckon? I would say the Bunnies would be knocking on his door 
alchemist

alchemist

2 years out of the game, late 20's, sacked by 2 teams, unrealised potential, trouble with the law etc.

i think the Bra Girl is done 
annav3

annav3

hmm you think so?? My bet Bunnies

EVERYONE WANTS RENI

THE list of clubs interested in Reni Maitua grows by the day. Watch for his manager Sam Ayoub to strike a deal for the former Kangaroo long before his drug ban is up.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/riolo-im-not-trying-to-ruin-nrl-20100605-xlrq.html 
annav3

annav3

rumours dogs are seeking Adam Cuthbertson...God help us..Desperate times calls for desperate measures

we might as well keep Hickey 
annav3

annav3

janus, have you heard any gossip? will there be an announcement next week? 
alchemist

alchemist

there is all kind of gossip doing the rounds --> supposedly the Dogs are awaiting an answer from Hodkinson, Ryan will not be with the club next year (to ESL), the contract offer to Manu has been withdrawn due to the player's supposed attitude problems, Cuthbertson has been approached, Eastwood will be in the blue & white next year, Blair is pretty much a done deal, Winitana and Nanai will be re-signed (shoot me now), Patten is on his way out, Barba has an attitude problem and Moore will not pick him in FG until that improves, Hickey will not be with the club next year (to ESL), Moore has no confidence in Halatau & Paea, Ryan and Noddy have had a bust up etc.

and the source is always a friend of a friend knows a guy who is good mates with a player manager who represents one of the Dogs players and they just happen to discuss the present state of the Dogs... but he can't be anymore specific :D 
annav3

annav3

Winitana and Nanai enough said :)

you forgot to include that apparently JTK wants a release 
alchemist

alchemist

i haven't heard that one 
cpr_89

cpr_89

If Barba had a problem why was he retained for two years? 
annav3

annav3

our club had a disrupted off season, with regards to quite a few of the top players had surgeries. It is no concidence that these players struggled to get in to form. THen we had other players getting injured early in the season which didn't help, with poor depth at the club we were behind the eight ball.

Hannant participated in the Test matches in the off season as well whilst injured plus stabbing us in the back then you have a diisjointed unit.

The players are struggling for confidence, there is no dishamorny amongst the team.

However the key is Kevin Moore it is up to him to get the confidence in the players, choose the right players for key positions and not have such a negative game plan..that is if we have a game plan

we might as well have retained Steven Folkes 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Apparently you guys are about to announce a new signing of a halfback?

Big name signing as well.

Hodgekson or Orford maybe? 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Bulldogs have signed Ryan Tandy from the Storm, effective immediately!

Storm should be under the salary cap now... 
annav3

annav3

Ryan Tandy?? didn''t see that coming, is he still playing for the storm this weekend? he is in my squad 
annav3

annav3

Hodkinson, as mentioned by the commentators last night, not much depth in the NRL for half backs, some times we have to pay overs. Good luck to him, not sure what the big deal is but some times have to take a risk

I would say Kimmorley will be retiring

apparently dogs talking to Widdop, the Storm english guy..

Patten is leaving end of year. Ryan may also follow.

not sure where this leaves Barba 
annav3

annav3

Storm release Tandy to Bulldogs

WAYNE HEMING

June 12, 2010 - 6:19PM
[LIST]
[/LIST]
Melbourne Storm have granted journeyman prop Ryan Tandy an immediate release from the remainder of his 2010 contract.

Tandy, who played in Melbourne's 2009 grand final, will link with Canterbury for the rest of this season on Monday once he has been officially cleared to make the switch.
The Bulldogs have already signed another Storm player, outstanding Kempsey discovery Aiden Tolman, who will join them in 2011

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/storm-release-tandy-to-bulldogs-20100612-y4i3.html 
alchemist

alchemist

Hannant, Armit, Hodgson, Hickey, Paea, Browne, Taupau etc.

those rumours about Moore's views on Paea just got a little more credible 
SumfnKrishy

SumfnKrishy

Paea hasn't done much with you guys tbh 
annav3

annav3

none of the new recruits have :) 
Alsss

Alsss

http://rleague.com/db/article.php?id=36618

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have signed former Melbourne Storm prop Ryan Tandy for the remainder of the 2010 season.
Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore said Tandy will help patch the gap in the squad left by injuries in recent times.
"Ryan's a Grand Final player and gives us some real grunt up front. It's been well documented that we've been hit fairly hard by injuries in our forwards and Ryan certainly brings us some real skill in that area.
Tandy wasted no time in joining his new club, making the trip north on Saturday.
He said the opportunity the Bulldogs provided was one he couldn't pass up.
"I was off contract with the Storm at the end of this year and there was a bit of uncertainty about what the future might hold," Tandy said.
"When the possibility of joining the Dogs came up I spoke with the coaching staff and my teammates and they said I should jump at the opportunity. Everyone I've spoken to tells me the Dogs are a great club with an outstanding coach and I'll be doing everything I can to secure a long term deal with them. 
Alsss

Alsss

A WEEK after securing Aiden Tolman, the Bulldogs continue to eye the Melbourne Storm for reinforcements and have now targeted Kiwi back-rower Adam Blair as their next recruit from the storm.
From: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ The Daily Telegraph 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168