The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Rumours, Recruitment & Retention news

DoggiesFan1

DoggiesFan1

Hodkinson would be a GREAT signing if there is any truth in that rumour. I think he is a real quality half, anyone know how much substance there is in that or how close we really are?? 
SumfnKrishy

SumfnKrishy

Man you guys are after every half on the market :P 
alchemist

alchemist

the cupboard is bare, that's why... 
blackcross

blackcross

A good bet Kimmorely will not be playing in 2011. 
annav3

annav3

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27074508-5018866,00.html

Canterbury-Bankstown are looking to recruit Manly halfback Trent Hodkinson

By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
May 04, 2010
Canterbury-Bankstown's search for a successor to Brett Kimmorley has led them to the man he will oppose on Friday night - Manly and City rookie Trent Hodkinson.

The Australian has been told the Bulldogs, resigned to missing out on the signature of Parramatta's Kris Keating, are ready to make Hodkinson one of their priority signings for next season.

The 21-year-old City halfback will be off-contract at Brookvale in spring and the Sea Eagles have limited room to move under the salary cap given they have re-signed Glenn Stewart, Kieran Foran, Anthony Watmough and Jamie Lyon to lucrative long-term deals.

Canterbury officials are expected to make a move for Hodkinson when his manager, David Riolo, returns from overseas.

"We don't want to do our recruitment and retention through the media," Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said on Monday when asked about Hodkinson.

Hodkinson has only played seven games in first grade but the Bulldogs are well aware of his talents, having attempted to sign him before he joined Manly.

The club has been actively pursuing a long-term replacement for Kimmorley, the Country halfback on Friday night in Port Macquarie, although Hodkinson's possible arrival may not spell the end for the incumbent NSW No.7.

The Bulldogs have used Kimmorley as a selling point in their talks with Eels half Daniel Mortimer and his teammate Keating, suggesting both players could develop alongside a player of Kimmorley's class.

Mortimer, however, chose to re-sign with Parramatta while Keating, who will partner Hodkinson in the City halves, is expected to follow suit.

"Dave (Riolo) is looking after all that," Hodkinson said.

"I'm happy at Manly. It's a great club and I would love to stay there. I would like to stay at Manly for a long time. I am enjoying my time there. I just don't know too much about it to be honest."

While Hodkinson has become a target, the Bulldogs are also chasing the signature of Melbourne Storm prop Aiden Tolman, a move which would be the forerunner to Ben Hannant joining Brisbane Broncos next season.

Tolman had an offer on the table from the Storm but that club's salary cap drama has put all talks on hold. "There's a number of quality players up for contract discussion at the end of the year, but with the current status of Melbourne, I think most clubs are sitting back to see how it unfolds," Greenberg said. 
SumfnKrishy

SumfnKrishy

Surely this means that you haven't got Henry...I don't see why he'd sign up if he's got as many people in front of him here as he does at the Saints...besides money ofcourse 
annav3

annav3

[INDENT]Barrett to take Knights role

BY BRETT KEEBLE
06 May, 2010 04:00 AM

FORMER Newcastle Rugby League general manager Frank Barrett is coming home to rejoin the Knights as media manager.
Barrett, who has spent the past 18 months occupying the dual roles of media manager and football manager at the Bulldogs, is expected to start at the Knights by the end of this month.

A cheeky halfback from Warwick in Queensland, Barrett arrived in Newcastle in 1993 to join the Knights and spent several years playing in Newcastle's then Balmain's lower grades.

Covering most back line positions and dummy-half, he returned to Newcastle for stints at Wests and Cessnock then was a member of Waratah-Mayfield's 2000 premiership-winning team.

Barrett, who owns a house in New Lambton, has retained strong links to Newcastle through his network of friends, professional contacts and in his part-time role as part of the KO-FM commentary team calling Knights games.

"I definitely see it as a home-coming," Barrett said.

"I've always had a passion for the Knights but over the last few years I've taken the opportunity to go away and broaden my horizons, expand my media network and learn a lot so I can come back and add a little bit as a senior manager at the club.

"They've been through some tough times but I'm looking forward to taking up those challenges and working with a lot of good people, good players and a great coach in Rick Stone."

The Knights appointed former NBN television news reporter Stephen Mount as media manager in March 2006. Mount resigned last month to become communications manager at Hunter Medical Research Institute.

After three years as Newcastle Rugby League boss, Barrett left at the end of 2005 and spent 18 months as general manager of the NSWRL's Western Sydney development academy.

He joined the Bulldogs in May 2007 as junior development and coach education manager, working alongside current Knights strategic development manager Keith Onslow.

Barrett succeeded Bradley Clyde in 2008 to take on the positions of media and football manager.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/barrett-to-take-knights-role/1822055.aspx
[/INDENT] 
matthew

matthew

Bird has been quiet in the last week. He needs to deliver some signings :) 
annav3

annav3

Yes Eastwood should be booking his flight soon, he has until 30 June to get here :) 
matthew

matthew

I heard this Bird rumour has some substance :)

XBlades to be replaced by Canterbury Clothing. 
annav3

annav3

yeah I definately saw proof that the Bird rumour is true, just not sure about 30 June this year though.

X Blades very big dissappointment 
annav3

annav3

[U]Hodgson extends stay at Bulldogs[/U]

Canterbury prop Michael Hodgson has extended his stay at the NRL club until the end of 2011.

The 30-year-old journeyman, who has produced career-best form since joining the Bulldogs last season, will saddle up for his 14th season next year.

Hodgson has previously played for Parramatta, Canberra and the Gold Coast.

His signature is an important boost for Canterbury, who could lose homesick Test prop Ben Hannant at season's end.

Hodgson has overcome his own bout of homesickness, re-signing despite his wife living in Canberra where she runs a business.

"She's very supportive and happy for me to do it again," he told reporters on MOnday.

"There's a few boys in the NRL who do it.

"It's all for a good cause and I'm still enjoying my football so we'll keep it going."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/58593/hodgson-extends-stay-at-bulldogs/default.aspx 
Dogaholic

Dogaholic

Good player and a hell of a nice guy 
matthew

matthew

Eastwood wants to return. Whether it can happen or not is another question. 
matthew

matthew

Hodgson Press Release

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=36283 
annav3

annav3

Also Luke Patten rejected offer from Huddersfield to play in ESL next year to play out career with bulldogs & is talking to club about a role after he retires.

SOURCE: smh.COM.AU 
Hancock02

Hancock02

CANTERBURY are planning to take an $800,000 gamble by signing a rookie who has played just nine first-grade games.
After missing out on Parramatta halves Kris Keating and Daniel Mortimer, the Bulldogs have opened their chequebook in a bid to snare Manly's City Origin halfback Trent Hodkinson.
Disappointed Manly officials have all but conceded the 21-year-old will sign with the Dogs this week.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/hodgkinson-going-to-the-dogs/story-e6frep5x-1225872949309 
annav3

annav3

[U]Huddersfield offer Canterbury Bulldogs Luke Patten a three year deal[/U]
[LIST]
[*]By Josh Massoud and James Phelps
[*]From: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ The Daily Telegraph
[*]June 01, 2010 12:00AM
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/05/31/1225873/761686-luke-patten.jpg
English offer...Bulldogs fullback Luke Patten. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

CANTERBURY veteran Luke Patten is considering a three-year offer from Huddersfield, which would see him finish up at Belmore a season early.

The 30-year-old fullback has a get-out clause to join the UK Super League in his contract - although club officials wouldn't deny Patten a decent payday in lieu of the wonderful service he has given the Bulldogs since 2001.
In England this week, Patten's agent George Mimis is expectedto continue discussions with the Giants.
Patten, however, is pondering whether his battered frame - which has endured persistent back problems of late - can handle the punishment until the end of 2013.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/huddersfield-offer-canterbury-bulldogs-luke-patten-a-three-year-deal/story-e6frfgbo-1225873790651 
alchemist

alchemist

unfortunately, it may be the best option for Patten to move on... not that i think he has played badly, but i do think the club appears a bit stale and a couple changes are needed and Barba needs to play more 
annav3

annav3

[U] Bulldogs veterans out door[/U]
[LIST]
[*]By Phil Rothfield From: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ The Daily Telegraph
[*]June 02, 2010 12:00AM
[/LIST] http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/03/05/1225837/524792-dtstory-andrew-ryan.jpg
Club won't stand in his way...Bulldogs skipper Andrew Ryan. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

ON THE same day Israel Folau jumped ship, the Bulldogs have revealed they are in serious danger of losing club veterans Andrew Ryan and Luke Patten to English Super League.

The Canterbury captain and fullback are both under contract for next season but the club will not stop them from going overseas.
"Luke has an option where he can look at playing in England and we've told Andrew we won't stand in his way if he can get a big deal over a few years," Bulldogs boss Todd Greenberg said.
"They have both given this club wonderful service, they deserve to finish their careers on their own terms.
"If they choose to go, they will have our full support."
The loss of Patten, 30, and Ryan, 31, would take a stack of experience out of a Bulldogs outfit that is struggling to make an impression this year.
They are the only remaining players from the Dogs' 2004 premiership side, but both have been below their best.
The Dogs have already signed Storm forward Aiden Tolman in the front-row to replace the departing Ben Hannant and will be checking the open market now Patten and Ryan look like leaving.
The Storm will have to offload at least six players and there are suggestions the Bulldogs are one of nine clubs who have expressed interest in utility Greg Inglis.
Cowboy Luke O'Donnell, Shark Grant Millington and Neville Costigan are among the back-rowers looming as potential replacements, having not signed deals for 2011.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-veterans-out-door/story-e6frexnr-1225874285542 
alchemist

alchemist

Patten and Ryan moving on at the end of this year may just save the club from making a couple of hard decisions

rumours doing the rounds are that the Dogs have targeted Manu and Blair from the Storm 
annav3

annav3

apparently Hickey is also moving on to Wigan...

very upsetting news 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Didn't Patten say he wanted to stay with the Dogs for next season? 
annav3

annav3

there seems to be conflicting information, I reckon he wants to stay, but he has probably been given a gentle tap on the shoulder. 
annav3

annav3

I want this guy back at the Dogs

Reni Maitua's Thai boot camp

By Josh Massoud and James Phelps From:

The Daily Telegraph June 03, 2010 12:00AM
THESE are the photos that prove Reni Maitua is determined to resurrect his NRL career from the wreckage of a two-year drugs ban.

Overweight and under-motivated at the midpoint of his exile, Maitua last month booked himself into the hardcore Tiger Muay Thai and MMA training camp in Phuket.

The former Kangaroo travelled into the jungle alone and lived in a rudimentary shack.

"It was all about training and getting myself back together again," Maitua said.

"We were training up to five hours a day and it was the hottest month of the year.

"I went there by myself and met people from all over the world. It was a great change and it really broadened my horizons."

Led by an ex-US Marine named Randy, the camp practised cage fighting, mixed martial arts and road runs that saw Maitua shed 7kg in just over a fortnight.

"I don't believe in weight loss programs and diets - that's crap," Maitua said.

"Hard work is the only way to go and this has really given me my motivation back.

"All I need to do now is find a club so I can have my goals set to come back next year.

"I know I won't be on much money and that people might think I'm a liability, but I've got a point to prove. After being on that camp, I just want to rip in."

Maitua is aiming to have his future finalised within a month and his manager Sam Ayoub is already speaking to clubs. But since the 27-year-old can't train with an NRL team until next May, another trip to Thailand is on the horizon.

"I want to go back for a bit longer - maybe three months. I'd also love to have a couple of cage fighting bouts in Thailand," he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/reni-maituas-thai-boot-camp/story-e6frexnr-1225874727133

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/06/02/1225874/726879-reni-maitua.jpg
Putting in the hard yards...Reni Maitua training in Thailand. Source: The Daily Telegraph 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 21 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeStorm14 J.Turpin15 C.GaloRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.Nikorima14 W.BrimsonCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Ba...
Fromthenest - Well there you go. Apparently Wide Bay's final is being played Thursday between Norville SS of Bundy and St Pat's Gympie. I am lead to be...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181