The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 4: vs Souths Sydney Rabbitohs

annav3

annav3

[h=1]Easter Extravaganza Highlights Camp Quality[/h]

Thursday 28 March 2013 4:00 PM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00065839-leadimage.jpg
Camp Quality will take centre stage for the Bulldogs Good Friday Blockbuster versus the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium this Easter weekend with Bulldogs players wearing yellow socks to mark the occasion.
The Bulldogs annual Camp Quality Round will help raise awareness and much needed funds for the children’s family cancer charity, which provides fun therapy to children living with cancer. Currently Camp Quality reaches only one in three children living with cancer and would love to reach more.
The celebrations will go all day, with the Bulldogs donating 600 tickets to Camp Quality for children living with cancer and their families who are venturing from the Illawarra, Hunter, Newcastle and Sydney to attend the big game.
In addition, Camp Quality’s famous puppets will be performing in the North West Terrace; while you stop to enjoy the show, be sure to leave your mark on our Camp Quality ‘Inspiration’ mural.
5000 Camp Quality ‘Try’ cards have been produced thanks to our great partners at easyforex and will be handed out to Bulldogs fans on entry to the Stadium, while Camp Quality volunteers from the Belles cheer squad, Bulldogs Kennel, the Bulldogs NRL School to Work program and NAB will be seeking donations throughout the day.
As per all Bulldogs home games, Camp Quality kids will form the guard of honour and meet the players in the sheds after the match but at tomorrow’s game there will be even more kids involved.
Twelve year old Keenan Forster will be side by side with the both Captains when he performs the coin toss to start the game and fellow Camp Quality kids will have the special privilege of running out alongside their favourite players prior to kick off, with the Toia kids who have been long time friends of the Bulldogs leading out the pack alongside Captain Mick Ennis.
Since its inception in 2009, the Bulldogs-Camp Quality partnership has raised over $400,000 to help Camp Quality create a resilient and optimistic community for children living with cancer and their families.
Camp Quality believes in bringing optimism and happiness to the lives of children and families affected by cancer through fun therapy and education. It believes that laughter is the best medicine.
[U]Match Day Information[/U]
When: Friday, March 29th, 4pm, ANZ Stadium
Bulldogs Service Office open - 1pm
Gates open - 1.40pm
Holden Cup - 1.45pm
NRL Bulldogs v Rabbitohs - 4pm
The News Local Express are proud supporters of Bulldogs in the Community 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]South Sydney Rabbitohs may be forced to use portaloos due to intensely competitive Des Hasler[/h]Portable toilets are shaping as South Sydney Rabbitohs' secret weapon in Friday night's Good Friday blockbuster against Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler is making life uncomfortable for the Rabbitohs, who always prepare in their own custom-made dressing room when playing at ANZ Stadium.

However, the Souths-only room shares common toilet facilities with the home sheds, which the Bulldogs intend to use as hosts.
As they did for last year's round 12 clash, Canterbury are adamant their players must have exclusive use of those bathroom facilities.

But annoyed Rabbitohs officials aren't pointing the finger at their Bulldogs opposite. They blame the intensely competitive Hasler, because before his arrival at Belmore last year, there was never an issue between the clubs at ANZ Stadium.

"Canterbury and other clubs (Parramatta and St George Illawarra) who hosted games at ANZ Stadium would just use the away rooms, because there's absolutely no difference with the home rooms," a Souths insider said. "But all that changed last year and we still can't work it out."

On Thursday night, Souths will make a decision on whether to bring in half a dozen portable loos which will enable them to stay in their own dressing-room, or move across the tunnel to the away sheds.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/south-sydney-rabbitohs-may-be-forced-to-use-portaloos-due-to-intensely-competitive-des-hasler/story-fn2mcuj6-1226608156804#.UVQjJFcpseU 
alchemist

alchemist

old school jerseys :thumbs: 
annav3

annav3

Game Day I took this photo this morning back of Belmore Sports Ground..Sydney Olympic were setting up for training. They probably have better facilities than some A League clubs

it is a glorious Sydney day , enjoy :)

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/163565_10151381877533310_1734655446_n.jpg 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Matthew Johns says the Canterbury Bulldogs have the firepower to win the NRL premiership[/h]
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/03/28/1226608/647360-ben-barba.jpg

AT full-time of last week's Storm defeat of the Canterbury Bulldogs I turned off the TV, turned to my son and said, "I reckon we've seen this year's premiers" and I wasn't talking about the Storm.
Ignore the fact that the Dogs are a way down the ladder, ignore the fact that they are only 1 win from 3, even ignore the fact that after today's game they very well could be 1 from 4, the Dogs are building toward something big.

Last week they travelled down to Melbourne to take on the defending premiers, dramatically understrength, but went within another set of six of snatching a great victory, only time beat them.

Time without Sam Kasiano, Frank Pritchard, James Graham and of course Ben Barba, has served this side well. Josh Reynolds has taken on added responsibility and flourished under the pressure. Kris Keating has shownhe's more than just a ducker and a darter who's fourth-choice playmaker.

But the big winners in the absence of Kasiano and co have been the Bulldogs' outstanding batch of young forwards.

Josh Jackson showed in 2012 he was a talent, in 2013 he's proving to be a star and one, who if he continues his rate of improvement, will taste representative football before the year's out, and when I say rep footy, I don't mean City vs Country.

In David Klemmer, Dale Finucane and Martin Taupau, Des Hasler has three rookie powerhouses who bully opposition forwards in a manner that belies their age and inexperience.

I ran into Bulldogs' recruiting boss and Des Hasler's most loyal companion, Noel Cleal, just after Christmas. "Crusher" is an understated bloke but he couldn't hide his enthusiasm when discussing the Bulldogs' next crop of stars.
"I've been in the game my whole life and I've never seen a group of young blokes, who are so big, fast and athletic, they're unbelievable."
They sure are! And they've got a lot more where the likes of Jackson, Klemmer and Finucane came from, just waiting for a chance.

But admittedly, if I'm trying to justify my opening statement, the argument should be less about the rookies and more about the returning stars.

And yes, I am taking some pretty important factors for granted.
I'm saying that Frank Pritchard will be returning as the Bulldog's Frank Pritchard who terrorised defenders with his wide power running, and not the Panthers' Frank Pritchard who earned the nickname labrador amongst my mates, because he could always be found huffing and puffing next to the blind.
I'm taking for granted Englishman James Graham can do what he did in 2012 and shock the NRL with his aggression and unorthodox style with the ball.
I'm saying Sam Kasiano will once again provide the vision and ball skills that made him appear the biggest halfback of all time.
And then there's Ben Barba. I'm saying he can have the same influence on the competition that earned him the Dally M Medal.

Yes, I'm saying all those things and I'm comfortable with it. Easter's about celebrating the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and today tens of thousands of the Dogs faithful will flock to ANZ Stadium to celebrate something they've been praying for for weeks, the resurrection of Ben Barba.

Why Ben's selected a particularly tough opposition to return against I'll get to later, but first let's talk about the Bunnies.

South Sydney were my February premiership picks and, at half-time after having seen them toy with Penrith to lead 34-14, I glance at the same son of mine and declared: "Souths are about to win their first title since 1971".

He quite rightly puts me in my place: "Hang on a sec, who's gonna win the comp, Dogs or Souths?"

It's funny how when you gets past 40 you conveniently forget about some of your bold statements such as Cooper Cronk will be better than Andrew Johns! Or was that Johnathan Thurston? Anyway ...

Dogs or Souths?
I answered: " I'll let you know at full-time next Friday."

But by full-time in last Sunday's Penrith game, having watched Souths snooze on the job and almost let he match slip through their fingers. I found myself asking the same questions about the Rabbitohs that I asked through the most of last year.

"Are South Sydney ruthless enough to be premiers?"

The talent is there, the defence is there, they have the attack and most of all they have Greg Inglis, but I'm still seeing a side in the habit of dropping intensity during periods of the match. They started slowly against the Roosters, they were there to be beat against the Sharks and they were absent physically and mentally in the second half at Penrith.

Michael Maguire has given his team a big build up into today's Blockbuster because he knows their ladder position is flattering them.

Against the Sharks and the Panthers they got the two points but today Maguire is after an 80-minute performance as well.

Watch for Des Hasler to attack Souths on the edges today. Against the Storm in the second half, the Dogs found their attacking rhythm by working the ball toward a sideline and then pushing it wide with their trademark chain passing and sweeping second-man plays.

Defensively, Souths' new edge combinations looked frighteningly vulnerable last Sunday and will be tested again.

Souths will look to blow apart the Dogs through the middle. For the Dogs' young pack this will be not only a test of muscle, but a test of endurance and defensive IQ as the Rabbits look for ways to finesse Inglis through.

Michael Maguire will apply huge pressure to Ben Barba today. It's a trick he learnt from Craig Bellamy. The coach goes to the players and they all agree on one player they will target more than others, you could call it special treatment.

They don't nominate the weak link, they nominate the opposition's most important man and believe if they break him, the rest will follow.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/matthew-johns-says-the-canterbury-bulldogs-have-the-firepower-to-win-the-nrl-premiership/story-e6frext9-1226608649339 
annav3

annav3

will he have a shocker? or will he be smiling? Can;t wait to see him back on the field :)

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/03/28/1226608/083706-130328-ben-barba.jpg 
annav3

annav3

The Dogs won't win a comp without a proper half back. 
annav3

annav3

teams are now using the Melbourne blueprint to beat us. 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Bulldogs v Rabbitohs Good Friday Match Sets New Crowd Record[/h]

Friday 29 March 2013 6:31 PM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00066201-leadimage.jpg
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and South Sydney Rabbitohs Good Friday match has today set a new regular NRL season attendance record with 51,686 people coming through the turnstiles for the fixture at ANZ Stadium.
The crowd figure today has surpassed the previous biggest NRL crowd since Darren Lockyer’s farewell match in Round 26 of season 2011 (50,859) at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.
Today’s match was also the biggest Sydney rugby league crowd since the St George v Souths match at the Sydney Cricket Ground in 1967 with 50,153. It has also gone over the Nathan Hindmarsh and Luke Burt farewell game in 2012 which 45,863 fans attended.
“The Good Friday match is now one of the marquee events on the Sydney sporting calendar and today’s attendance shows that,” Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg said.
“It’s great to see so many passionate sporting fans coming out to support their team and we hope this continues throughout the remainder of the season and in future years.”
NRL CEO Dave Smith today paid tribute to both the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs clubs for working together to provide an event that captured the imagination of fans.
“It was a fantastic game of football and I want to thank the fans of both teams for creating a wonderful atmosphere,” Mr Smith said.
“It’s the biggest crowd for a stand-alone regular season game in the NRL and a sign of the excitement in this year’s competition.” 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

WHat is the melbourne Blueprint we never beat you guys last season and we won't this season either :lol: 
annav3

annav3

Price just needs to watch the grand final, and get his team to do what every other team has done in the new year. Up and in.. 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Easter Bunnies deliver but Inu may rue tackle gone wrong[/h]
BULLDOGS 12 SOUTH SYDNEY 17
http://images.smh.com.au/2013/03/29/4151126/---art_George_burgess_20130329183200565568-620x349.jpg George Burgess charges to the tryline to score the first points for the Rabbitohs. Photo: Anthony Johnson

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/rugby-league-match-centre/live-bulldogs-v-rabbitohs-20130329-2gyfq.html MATCH STATS / AS IT HAPPENED
South Sydney confirmed themselves as genuine premiership contenders on a day of NRL records, but the best game of 2013 so far was overshadowed by an ugly spear tackle from Krisnan Inu.
The decision by match officials not to send off Inu, after failing to dismiss his Canterbury teammate James Graham for biting in last year's grand final, ensured a controversial finish to a gripping contest between two of this season's heavyweights.
http://images.smh.com.au/2013/03/29/4151127/---art_ben_barba_20130329183317900782-620x349.jpg Ben Barba scored a try for the Bulldogs in the final minute. Photo: Anthony Johnson

Inu was placed on report and is certain to be charged by the NRL match-review committee after putting his hands between the legs of Rabbitohs ace Greg Inglis and tipping him on his head in the 68th minute.

Inglis got up rubbing his head but was otherwise uninjured and stayed on as Souths recorded their fourth win from the opening four rounds for the first time since they last won the premiership in 1971.

The match was played in front of the biggest regular-season crowd in NRL history, while Rabbitohs winger Nathan Merritt also equalled a record when he joined South Sydney's Benny Wearing as the 10th-highest try-scorer in premiership history.

Merritt achieved the feat by crossing for his 144th try in the second half off a perfectly weighted Adam Reynolds kick that put Souths ahead midway through the second half.

The move, which capitalised on the rushing defence of the Bulldogs' outside-backs, looked to be planned by coach Michael Maguire, who made the bold decision to drop captain Michael Crocker before kick-off.

However, not everything went to plan for Souths, with forward Sam Burgess limping from the field at full-time with an ankle problem, while the Bulldogs lost skipper Michael Ennis just before half-time with concussion.

Compared to the mistake-riddled Manly-Wests Tigers match on Thursday night, the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs played almost perfect football in the good afternoon conditions at ANZ Stadium. The opening half was played at a frantic pace but each side made only one handling error.

As bizarre as it may seem, Canterbury's early tactics seemed to be to target one of Souths' best players in Merritt with kicks in-goal and they came up with back-to-back repeat sets that led to the opening try.

Winger Mitch Brown scored in the Bulldogs' left corner after Merritt put down a cross-field bomb from Josh Reynolds and Inu stood in a tackle to offload before the ball was swung to the opposite side of the field.

Star recruit Tony Williams had his most significant moment in Canterbury colours so far when he sent a perfectly executed pass just before hitting the ground in a tackle for Brown to cross in the corner.

It took 19 minutes for Souths to reply and it was probably no coincidence that George Burgess pushed off Williams and Dave Klemmer to win a battle of the giants and score while Ennis was down in back play.

The Bulldogs skipper, who had been steamrolled by Roy Asotasi in the previous tackle, was still his side's top tackler at half-time with 23, despite having come from the field five minutes earlier.

In his absence, the Rabbitohs took control of the second half and proved too strong after Merritt crossed for his seventh try of the season in the 56th minute and then put Bryson Goodwin over 10 minutes before full-time.

SOUTH SYDNEY 17 (G Burgess B Goodwin N Merritt tries A Reynolds 2 goals A Reynolds field goal) bt BULLDOGS 12 (B Barba M Brown tries K Inu 2 goals) at ANZ Stadium. Referee: Shayne Hayne, Alan Shortall. Crowd: 51,686.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-report/easter-bunnies-deliver-but-inu-may-rue-tackle-gone-wrong-20130329-2gz05.html#ixzz2OvC0xfDS

annav3

annav3

[h=1]Bulldogs v Rabbitohs: Press Conference[/h]

Friday 29 March 2013 6:36 PM

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news-display/Bulldogs-v-Rabbitohs-Press-Conference/71186 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

isn't that the style Chris Anderson and Ricky Stuart used to use? 
alchemist

alchemist

Barba was probably as good as he could have been in his first match back... was safe at the back but was rusty going forward... but he will get better... hopefully, measures have been put in place for Barba as to ongoing counselling, support structures etc. so that he doesn't relapse with regard to his off field issues

worryingly, we got dominated by the Bunnies pack... too big, too strong, too fast... T. Williams should be dropped to the bench and brought on in spurts... at the moment, he just isn't making any impact... to be fair though, it was a good effort in setting up that try

when the likes of Graham and Kasiano are back, i would drop Klemmer back down to NSW Cup... he is undoubtedly a great prospect, but i think he'll need a bit of time to acclimatise to playing against men rather than the youth players in NYC

Inu's tackle was bad and he deserves a good a stint on the sidelines (4 weeks perhaps)... i would move Brown to centre and bring in Low onto the wing... i like Lafai but he is a left sided player... he struggles on the right and Morris shouldn't be moved

J. Reynolds tried hard but he needs to be partnered with a good halfback who can direct play, kick well and allow Reynolds play off of that... i really don't want to jump all over Keating (as most fans are), but he is not the answer at starting halfback... i would bring in Hodkinson to start... i would also look to recruit a young halfback as we won't win a premiership with Hodkinson or Keating in the '7' jersey

we are now 1 win and 3 losses and face a very strong Manly side next week... i think we will be one from 5 after next weekend

great crowd... over 50,000 was great to see and should be food for thought for the league with regard to afternoon games involving 2 Sydney teams... i also think they should possibly look to set the draw up that Sydney teams play each other twice a season

one last thing, to Matty Johns, for the love of God don't mention the Dogs, don't talk about our chances, don't speak of our team's qualities or predict where we will finish or what we will win... jinx 
SonicStar

SonicStar

you guys started last season a bit slow as well, no reason why you can't do what you did last season 
alchemist

alchemist

we rode a great streak by Barba last season who scored 20+ tries, was involved in/set up 20+ other tries, and got us over the line in a number of close games (vs Brisbane @ ANZ, vs Manly @ Brookvale)... i just don't see that happening again this year

and more importantly, the teams i regard as contenders this year (Storm, Rabbits, Sea Eagles, Cowboys) have great halves... controlling players, great kicking games, will provide very good 5th tackle options, get repeat sets etc... and we do not have that

may make the finals, but we aren't winning any title this year 
slip

slip

1 from 4 and your win was a hard fought out victory. Uh Oh!! 
annav3

annav3

when do we start playing some easy teams?

SOS this guy?

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/6714_10200907245510146_1772099433_n.jpg 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Roosters round 6, Wests Tigers round 8, Warriors round 9, brisbane round 11, dragons round 12(easiest of them all) 
alchemist

alchemist

could be worse... we might not have had the Eels in the opening rounds and thus, be winless 
annav3

annav3

even though we are 1 from 4 I don't feel bad, such is the confidence I have in our coach. But there are some worrying signs. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181