The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 4: vs Souths Sydney Rabbitohs

annav3

annav3

I expect no change to last weeks lineup. Perhaps Pritchard may be back.. 
View all 57 comments
annav3

annav3

The Dogs won't win a comp without a proper half back. 
annav3

annav3

teams are now using the Melbourne blueprint to beat us. 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Bulldogs v Rabbitohs Good Friday Match Sets New Crowd Record[/h]

Friday 29 March 2013 6:31 PM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00066201-leadimage.jpg
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and South Sydney Rabbitohs Good Friday match has today set a new regular NRL season attendance record with 51,686 people coming through the turnstiles for the fixture at ANZ Stadium.
The crowd figure today has surpassed the previous biggest NRL crowd since Darren Lockyer’s farewell match in Round 26 of season 2011 (50,859) at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.
Today’s match was also the biggest Sydney rugby league crowd since the St George v Souths match at the Sydney Cricket Ground in 1967 with 50,153. It has also gone over the Nathan Hindmarsh and Luke Burt farewell game in 2012 which 45,863 fans attended.
“The Good Friday match is now one of the marquee events on the Sydney sporting calendar and today’s attendance shows that,” Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg said.
“It’s great to see so many passionate sporting fans coming out to support their team and we hope this continues throughout the remainder of the season and in future years.”
NRL CEO Dave Smith today paid tribute to both the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs clubs for working together to provide an event that captured the imagination of fans.
“It was a fantastic game of football and I want to thank the fans of both teams for creating a wonderful atmosphere,” Mr Smith said.
“It’s the biggest crowd for a stand-alone regular season game in the NRL and a sign of the excitement in this year’s competition.” 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

WHat is the melbourne Blueprint we never beat you guys last season and we won't this season either :lol: 
annav3

annav3

Price just needs to watch the grand final, and get his team to do what every other team has done in the new year. Up and in.. 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Easter Bunnies deliver but Inu may rue tackle gone wrong[/h]
BULLDOGS 12 SOUTH SYDNEY 17
http://images.smh.com.au/2013/03/29/4151126/---art_George_burgess_20130329183200565568-620x349.jpg George Burgess charges to the tryline to score the first points for the Rabbitohs. Photo: Anthony Johnson

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/rugby-league-match-centre/live-bulldogs-v-rabbitohs-20130329-2gyfq.html MATCH STATS / AS IT HAPPENED
South Sydney confirmed themselves as genuine premiership contenders on a day of NRL records, but the best game of 2013 so far was overshadowed by an ugly spear tackle from Krisnan Inu.
The decision by match officials not to send off Inu, after failing to dismiss his Canterbury teammate James Graham for biting in last year's grand final, ensured a controversial finish to a gripping contest between two of this season's heavyweights.
http://images.smh.com.au/2013/03/29/4151127/---art_ben_barba_20130329183317900782-620x349.jpg Ben Barba scored a try for the Bulldogs in the final minute. Photo: Anthony Johnson

Inu was placed on report and is certain to be charged by the NRL match-review committee after putting his hands between the legs of Rabbitohs ace Greg Inglis and tipping him on his head in the 68th minute.

Inglis got up rubbing his head but was otherwise uninjured and stayed on as Souths recorded their fourth win from the opening four rounds for the first time since they last won the premiership in 1971.

The match was played in front of the biggest regular-season crowd in NRL history, while Rabbitohs winger Nathan Merritt also equalled a record when he joined South Sydney's Benny Wearing as the 10th-highest try-scorer in premiership history.

Merritt achieved the feat by crossing for his 144th try in the second half off a perfectly weighted Adam Reynolds kick that put Souths ahead midway through the second half.

The move, which capitalised on the rushing defence of the Bulldogs' outside-backs, looked to be planned by coach Michael Maguire, who made the bold decision to drop captain Michael Crocker before kick-off.

However, not everything went to plan for Souths, with forward Sam Burgess limping from the field at full-time with an ankle problem, while the Bulldogs lost skipper Michael Ennis just before half-time with concussion.

Compared to the mistake-riddled Manly-Wests Tigers match on Thursday night, the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs played almost perfect football in the good afternoon conditions at ANZ Stadium. The opening half was played at a frantic pace but each side made only one handling error.

As bizarre as it may seem, Canterbury's early tactics seemed to be to target one of Souths' best players in Merritt with kicks in-goal and they came up with back-to-back repeat sets that led to the opening try.

Winger Mitch Brown scored in the Bulldogs' left corner after Merritt put down a cross-field bomb from Josh Reynolds and Inu stood in a tackle to offload before the ball was swung to the opposite side of the field.

Star recruit Tony Williams had his most significant moment in Canterbury colours so far when he sent a perfectly executed pass just before hitting the ground in a tackle for Brown to cross in the corner.

It took 19 minutes for Souths to reply and it was probably no coincidence that George Burgess pushed off Williams and Dave Klemmer to win a battle of the giants and score while Ennis was down in back play.

The Bulldogs skipper, who had been steamrolled by Roy Asotasi in the previous tackle, was still his side's top tackler at half-time with 23, despite having come from the field five minutes earlier.

In his absence, the Rabbitohs took control of the second half and proved too strong after Merritt crossed for his seventh try of the season in the 56th minute and then put Bryson Goodwin over 10 minutes before full-time.

SOUTH SYDNEY 17 (G Burgess B Goodwin N Merritt tries A Reynolds 2 goals A Reynolds field goal) bt BULLDOGS 12 (B Barba M Brown tries K Inu 2 goals) at ANZ Stadium. Referee: Shayne Hayne, Alan Shortall. Crowd: 51,686.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-report/easter-bunnies-deliver-but-inu-may-rue-tackle-gone-wrong-20130329-2gz05.html#ixzz2OvC0xfDS

annav3

annav3

[h=1]Bulldogs v Rabbitohs: Press Conference[/h]

Friday 29 March 2013 6:36 PM

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news-display/Bulldogs-v-Rabbitohs-Press-Conference/71186 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

isn't that the style Chris Anderson and Ricky Stuart used to use? 
alchemist

alchemist

Barba was probably as good as he could have been in his first match back... was safe at the back but was rusty going forward... but he will get better... hopefully, measures have been put in place for Barba as to ongoing counselling, support structures etc. so that he doesn't relapse with regard to his off field issues

worryingly, we got dominated by the Bunnies pack... too big, too strong, too fast... T. Williams should be dropped to the bench and brought on in spurts... at the moment, he just isn't making any impact... to be fair though, it was a good effort in setting up that try

when the likes of Graham and Kasiano are back, i would drop Klemmer back down to NSW Cup... he is undoubtedly a great prospect, but i think he'll need a bit of time to acclimatise to playing against men rather than the youth players in NYC

Inu's tackle was bad and he deserves a good a stint on the sidelines (4 weeks perhaps)... i would move Brown to centre and bring in Low onto the wing... i like Lafai but he is a left sided player... he struggles on the right and Morris shouldn't be moved

J. Reynolds tried hard but he needs to be partnered with a good halfback who can direct play, kick well and allow Reynolds play off of that... i really don't want to jump all over Keating (as most fans are), but he is not the answer at starting halfback... i would bring in Hodkinson to start... i would also look to recruit a young halfback as we won't win a premiership with Hodkinson or Keating in the '7' jersey

we are now 1 win and 3 losses and face a very strong Manly side next week... i think we will be one from 5 after next weekend

great crowd... over 50,000 was great to see and should be food for thought for the league with regard to afternoon games involving 2 Sydney teams... i also think they should possibly look to set the draw up that Sydney teams play each other twice a season

one last thing, to Matty Johns, for the love of God don't mention the Dogs, don't talk about our chances, don't speak of our team's qualities or predict where we will finish or what we will win... jinx 
SonicStar

SonicStar

you guys started last season a bit slow as well, no reason why you can't do what you did last season 
alchemist

alchemist

we rode a great streak by Barba last season who scored 20+ tries, was involved in/set up 20+ other tries, and got us over the line in a number of close games (vs Brisbane @ ANZ, vs Manly @ Brookvale)... i just don't see that happening again this year

and more importantly, the teams i regard as contenders this year (Storm, Rabbits, Sea Eagles, Cowboys) have great halves... controlling players, great kicking games, will provide very good 5th tackle options, get repeat sets etc... and we do not have that

may make the finals, but we aren't winning any title this year 
slip

slip

1 from 4 and your win was a hard fought out victory. Uh Oh!! 
annav3

annav3

when do we start playing some easy teams?

SOS this guy?

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/6714_10200907245510146_1772099433_n.jpg 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Roosters round 6, Wests Tigers round 8, Warriors round 9, brisbane round 11, dragons round 12(easiest of them all) 
alchemist

alchemist

could be worse... we might not have had the Eels in the opening rounds and thus, be winless 
annav3

annav3

even though we are 1 from 4 I don't feel bad, such is the confidence I have in our coach. But there are some worrying signs. 
annav3

annav3

the following scoreline is why I am worried..DEPTH

HT https://twitter.com/search?q=%23VBNSWCUP&src=hash #VBNSWCUP https://twitter.com/manlyseaeagles @manlyseaeagles 20 lead https://twitter.com/NRL_Bulldogs @NRL_Bulldogs 0 
woodies

woodies

ennis should be chared for that attempted front on shoulder charge.:D 
annav3

annav3

update from a friend that is at brookie, I like watching NSW CUp but I won't travel that far

alchemist

alchemist

yes and no...

we lost to the Cowboys in Gosford, but Thurston had a great game... we lost to the Storm in Melbourne but we were able to make a comeback and compete near the end and had Reynolds had his time over, he'd put the ball thru the hands instead of just kicking... now we have lost to a strong Rabbits side that didn't clock off as they are known to do... plus, we have been missing some players during this period

but we have struggled a bit in the forward battle... our 5th tackle options have also not been up to scratch... and we have the Sea Eagles next week which could (and probably will) put us even further behind the top teams on the table 
annav3

annav3

Lafai try down 20-6 
stevevw

stevevw

our reserves are struggling because we are using their best in the top grade. as our top grade is struggling because of injuries the ripple effect goes down the line. in saying that i think there is a lack of confidence as well and as they say positive attitude brings positive outcomes. we have had a rough time from the kick off of the season and i think we are handling it ok. i think a lot of people have to high expectations and there for feel let down and start to bag our team and players. we have shown a lot of character in our losses to teams that were in the top 4 last year with all our injuries and barba being suspended. lets keep it in perspective and see what comes out of this. as i said we have shown character and have put in great efforts. we have made some errors and poor options but we also are playing with a team that is not use to each other and under a lot of pressure. it will come and it will get easier and i believe we will be there when it counts. all i can say is if we end up in the bottom four of the eight i would not like to be a team playing us at that time. even the teams in the top 4 should be worried as we may have ended up there through circumstance but we will be capable of beating any team in the 8. we could even go all the way from the bottom half of the 8 which doesn't happen very often. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168