The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 3: vs Storm

annav3

annav3

[INDENT] Canterbury Bulldogs captain Michael Ennis scoffs at suggestions the Bulldogs need to change their mode of attack
Andrew Webster
The Daily Telegraph
March 21, 2013 12:00AM

Canterbury captain Michael Ennis has scoffed at suggestions the Bulldogs needed to change their mode of attack. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

BULLDOGS captain Mick Ennis has rubbished claims that his side must change its style of play after Melbourne Storm showed the way to beat the Canterbury in last year's grand final.

Melbourne clinched the premiership with a 14-4 victory using a compressed defensive line, with their wingers rushing in and cutting down the Bulldogs' options - and many considered it the new blueprint to beat Des Hasler's side.

The Cowboys and Parramatta have employed a similar strategy with varying success in the opening two rounds of the competition.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph ahead of tonight's grand final rematch at AAMI Park, Ennis scoffed at suggestions the Bulldogs needed to change their mode of attack.

"I don't think we have to change our style at all," he said. "It's early days. We just need to keep chipping away. Nothing from our structure is killing us. It's our individual areas and final passes, the right option at the right time. It will come. We're getting back into our groove and I think we're showing enough at the moment that we're in a good place."

Coach Hasler is similarly bemused at claims his side was outsmarted by the Storm in last year's decider.

"If you're a footy tragic, and you look at the video, you'll find there's only a hand in the grand final," Hasler told Sky Sports Radio in reference to centre Josh Morris almost scoring a crucial try in the dying stages until Storm fullback Billy Slater batted the ball dead. "There was only a fingertip in it, so we've had to make a few little changes but none too much to be panicking too much."

Both Ennis and Hasler again insisted that troubled fullback Ben Barba would not be a shock starter tonight.

Barba, who is battling alcohol and gambling issues and has not played this season, was not with his teammates when they arrived in Melbourne late yesterday.

Des Hasler isbemused at claims his side was outsmarted by the Storm in last year's decider. Picture: Mark Evans

The Bulldogs will also be without forwards Sam Kasiano and Frank Pritchard, with English import James Graham still serving a 12-match suspension for biting the ear of Storm fullback Billy Slater in the decider.

While Pritchard could be back next week, Kasiano is looking at another month on the sidelines.

"We're a totally different team - we're a side that's building," said Ennis. "They're the premiers and they've really come out of the blocks.

"Their halfback (Cooper Cronk) is probably the form player of the comp. We're a young group still learning and growing and we'll go down and do our best."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/ennis-dogged-belief/story-e6frexnr-1226601952114 [/INDENT] 
annav3

annav3

"That's not intentional... but there's probably a bit of carelessness about it" - Des Hasler on https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TripleMNRL&src=hash #TripleMNRL re Billy Slater's kick 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Never seen a player put his feet out like that when taking the ball in the air.

Des is a diplomat. 
alchemist

alchemist

this was an issue (ie. kicking out whilst catching a bomb) was raised last year or the year before... didn't look good for Slater but i doubt he'll serve significant time 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Never seems too. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Slater has a issue with legs. I wonder how long till the sliding kicks return :lol: 
alchemist

alchemist

the only lengthy suspension that i can think of was Slater stomping on Skandalis whilst he was laying on the ground

i wouldn't call him a protected species... but Slater can definitely verge on dangerous on the field (eg. leading with the leg when were players were in the act of scoring a try) 
annav3

annav3

even though we lost I am happy with our progress without key players. We are in the middle of a tough draw and it won't get easier next week. The absence of those players will be good for us at business end of the season. if we get there,

Klemmer doing well
Jackson is outstanding

always love Josh Reynolds

Drury Low getting better

Tolman best forward

T Rex a dud. Toovey wrecked him.. 
alchemist

alchemist

definitely a hard draw... Souths, Sea Eagles and Roosters coming up, yes? 
annav3

annav3

not sure about Manly I think we have the sharks..havent looked beyond the bunnies..won't be going to the roosters game now. The Wanderers have got their semi final match on the same time

who would have thought I would fore go a Bulldogs game for an A league game..I have changed.. 
alchemist

alchemist

i was at a dinner tonight doing my best to see over the heads of people to watch the game on the TV at the bar... middle of the dinner i was yelling "sucked in" when Slater got penalised... didn't really add to the polite dinner conversation

we have the Rabbits, Sea Eagles, Roosters, Sharks away and West Tigers over the next 5 rounds 
annav3

annav3

says it all really

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/03/21/1226602/910306-billy-slater.jpg
Billy Slater connects with Bulldogs prop David Klemmer. Source: Getty Images 
alchemist

alchemist

annav3

annav3

Team is improving the younger players doing well . I would rather steady progress than bolt out of blocks.

Tapau finally realising his potential 
alchemist

alchemist

excellent depth in the forwards at the moment... not much i can say by way of criticism... the only question mark for me is Tony Williams who looks to have brought across his poor form from last year... but it is still early

hopefully, Barba is better and gets back on the field soon... we need a halfback... otherwise, we are doing well roster-wise 
king_couttsy

king_couttsy

Yeah, didn't serve 8 weeks for the stomp on Skandalis... 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

How anyone can say that is accidental I will never understand. No one takes a bomb like that.

He knew where his foot was going and was never tackled in mid air.

Burgess got one week for an accidental shoulder to the head. Let's see if they are game to penalise this grub. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Copped nothing for his kicks in the face stopping tries.

Seems he has a history of feet problems.

Go look at that picture and be ashamed of yourself for defending him. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Seven weeks I read.

Seems Billy has a long history of suspensions. Didn't realise he was so bad. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

That is damning.

Just had a look and could find NO suspensions for Slater for feet first and yet Merritt does it once and out.

Found more instances of him getting off than of him being suspended. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Also looked up slater. Turns out it is a bug, not a grub. :D 
annav3

annav3

The NRL has this morning confirmed there were no charges to come out of the Storm v Bulldogs Grand Final rematch 
annav3

annav3

the lack of action over the Billy slater kung fu kick reinforces my dissolutionment with the game atm 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181