The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 3: vs Storm

annav3

annav3

I am normally optimistic, but do we have a chance? I can't see us beating them this week. 
alchemist

alchemist

no, we will lose 13+ IMO 
slip

slip

Grand Final rematch! The Storm are boring to watch, but they get the job done. Storm by 8 and then the minor premiership. 
knitey

knitey

Slater and one other may be cited for illegal tackles on Cowboy players.......Foxsports News. 
alchemist

alchemist

quite some distance between "may", "will" and "suspended" 
annav3

annav3

nothing will come of slaters illegal tackle. protected species

Doggies have been woeful, can't concede so much possession like we did the other night vs Parra against the storm. They will have a field day.

Cronks kicking game will cause headaches.

KNowing how bad channel 9;s coverage is and the late start, I might wait for the game to be repeated on FOx Sports before i watch it..I will listen on radio instead. 
knitey

knitey

Try more optimism, it helps. 
Morgues

Morgues

Will Barba make his triumphant return to the Bulldogs line-up this week? While all speculation is pointing towards that happening in round 4, I've had a sneaking suspicion since he was stood down that he'd still end up playing us this week. I see that Bellamy has also stated the team will be training as if they'll face Barba.

If the Bulldogs are able to take advantage of Storm's current poor completion rates, we could see a tight game, with a possible Dogs win. However, I think this is unlikely, and expect to see the Storm players improve in this area this week.

Also, Vave may miss some time for a crusher tackle on Saturday, but O'Neil is definitely out for Storm. The poor bugger ended up with a fractured jaw from an accidental elbow and will miss about 6 weeks. Expect Junior S'au to move into the side in his absence. 
annav3

annav3

barba or no barba we will lose this match. 
Silverelvis69

Silverelvis69

I want vossy back. Hadley us crap!! 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I wish my team had dogs problems :lol: 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Storm too soon for Ben Barba: Bulldogs coach Des Hasler[/h]
[LIST]
[*] by: Stuart Honeysett
[*] From: http://www.theaustralian.com.au The Australian
[*] March 18, 2013 12:10PM
[/LIST]

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/03/18/1226479/724079-des-hasler.jpg
Canterbury coach Des Hasler says Ben Barba won't be considered for selection against Melbourne Source: The Daily Telegraph

CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler has ruled Ben Barba out from making a comeback against premier Melbourne in the NRL grand final rematch on Thursday night.

Hasler says he won't make a decision on the return of the reigning Dally M Medallist until next week.

Barba trained for the first time on the field with his team-mates at Belmore Oval today since being stood down by the club to overcome personal issues including alcohol and gambling.

There has been speculation that he could return for the club's Good Friday clash against South Sydney while Storm coach Craig Bellamy has said he will train his side this week expecting him to play.

"Is he going to play against Melbourne? No, he won't play against Melbourne," Hasler said.

"This early in the competition we won't be making any rash decisions related to Ben's welfare.

"So at the moment I can't give an answer on his immediate comeback probably not until midway through next week once he gets some solid training under his belt."
The Storm beat the Bulldogs 14-4 in last year's grand final at ANZ Stadium but Hasler said revenge would not be a motivating factor for his team for Thursday night's match at AAMI Park.

The Storm are unbeaten after two rounds while the Bulldogs brought up their first win of the season against Parramatta last Thursday night.
"They're playing where they stopped off at the end of last year," Hasler said.

"Going down there the only way we can look at at the moment is we've been able to introduce a few new players and it will be a real good gauge and a real good test playing down there."

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/03/18/1226479/724079-des-hasler.jpg
Canterbury coach Des Hasler says Ben Barba won't be considered for selection against Melbourne Source: The Daily Telegrap

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/storm-too-soon-for-ben-barba-bulldogs-coach-des-hasler/story-e6frg7mf-1226599757467 
alchemist

alchemist

i would give Barba at least another couple weeks off 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

The telegraph was reporting over weekend the bunnies match. When is that? 
alchemist

alchemist

Round 4 
MrChook

MrChook

Storm side named:

[h=4]Storm[/h]1 Billy Slater
2 Matt Duffie
3 Will Chambers
4 Junior Sa'u
5 Mahe Fonua
6 Gareth Widdop
7 Cooper Cronk
8 Jesse Bromwich
9 Cameron Smith (c)
10 Bryan Norrie
11 Tohu Harris
12 Ryan Hoffman
13 Ryan Hinchcliffe

Interchange
14 Jason Ryles
15 Lagi Setu
16 Slade Griffin
17 Junior Moors
18 Maurice Blair 
Morgues

Morgues

Wow, that was quick. Normally Bellamy doesn't get the side out until closer to six o'clock. No real surprises there, considering the injuries and suspensions. A good chance for Sa'u to cement a spot in the side while O'Neil's jaw is healing, and another chance for the young & newly recruited forwards to prove they deserve a spot ahead of Vave.

I look forward to seeing the Bulldogs side that gets name, and if Barba is anywhere on the list. What's the go with outs for them? Frankie & Sam likely to play this week?

:popcorn: 
Bryco30

Bryco30

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD] 1) Drury Low
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 2) Mitch Brown
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 3) Josh Morris
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 4) Krisnan Inu
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 5) Sam Perrett
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 6) Josh Reynolds
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 7) Kris Keating
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 8) Aiden Tolman
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 9) Michael Ennis (C)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 10) Martin Taupau
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 11) Tony Williams
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 12) Josh Jackson
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 13) Greg Eastwood
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 14) Dene Halatau
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 15) Dale Finucane
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 16) Tim Browne
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 17) David Klemmer
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 18) Tim Lafai
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Des Hasler
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE] 
annav3

annav3

Belmore Sports Ground Saturday 23 march @ 3pm

NATHAN MASSEY
BRETT LANE
TIM LAFAI
ED MURPHY
ABOU-SLEIMAN
ROMELO
HODKINSON
LATU
PUMIPI
PALAU
BURR
ALAALATOA
CARTER

RESERVES:
AZZI
GILL
JANDA
SHEPHERDSON

COACH: BARRY WARD 
annav3

annav3

NYC TEAM v STORM
[INDENT] 1 Patrick Templeman
2 Dylan Rintoul
3 Pio Seci
4 Dujean Manuel-Liolevave
5 John Talioe Sila
6 Moses Mbye
7 Jaline Graham
8 Josh Vaartjes
9 Blake Carter
10 Herman Essese
11 David Minute
12 Danny Fualalo
13 James Ralphs

14 Robbie Kamoto
15 Shaun Lane
16 Makahesi Makatoa
17 Adam Elliot

COACH: ANDREW PATMORE [/INDENT] 
annav3

annav3

Players praise Ben Barba's 'heartfelt' apology

by: Stuart Honeysett
March 19, 2013 12:00AM

BEN Barba has faced plenty of challenges during his short career. Trying to stop a runaway Greg Inglis in the last line of defence is one that springs to mind.

But, according to Canterbury players, Barba faced his toughest challenge yet when he apologised to his teammates last week for letting his personal problems get in the way of his football.

"It was hard for him to face us," Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds said yesterday. "All the boys were real forgiving and it was a really good meeting.

"(The meeting) was more just to let us know that he's all right, that he's come back and he's obviously received some help.

"It brought us all together and I think it was more for Benny to know we're still here for him and we're ready to move on."

Bulldogs utility forward Dene Halatau agreed it wouldn't have been easy for Barba.

"Obviously he was very remorseful for the position he put us in being the start of the season and all that sort of coming out," Halatau said. "It was definitely heartfelt from him and he looks ready to make amends for whatever personal issues he's had.

"It was good for him to come back to us and apologise and I think most of the boys took that as a sincere apology."

Barba returned to training at Belmore Oval yesterday for the first time since being stood down indefinitely by the club to address personal problems stemming from the breakdown of his relationship with his childhood sweetheart Ainslie Currie.

The career of the Dally M medallist went off the rails in the off-season and there were were reports he linked with a group called the Epic Bender Crew.

Barba underwent rehabilitation for his issues at a private clinic on Sydney's northern beaches before being discharged last Wednesday. His mother, Kim, has flown down from Mackay and the club continues to work with him to assist his return to the field.

The Bulldogs could do with Barba for Thursday night's grand final rematch against Melbourne -- Storm coach Craig Bellamy has said his side is preparing as if the Bulldogs star No 1 will play -- but coach Des Hasler ruled that out yesterday.

There have also been reports that Barba could return for the club's Good Friday match against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

"This early in the competition we won't be making any rash decisions related to Ben's welfare," Hasler said.

"So at the moment I can't give an answer on his immediate comeback -- probably not until midway through next week once he gets some solid training under his belt."

Barba did weights yesterday with the backs before joining the rest of the team for a video review session. He left the video session early to train with NSW Cup players before joining the first grade side for a 90-minute session later in the afternoon.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/players-praise-ben-barbas-heartfelt-apology/story-fnca0von-1226600141007 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Weather the Storm: Corey Payne Blog Post[/h]

Thursday 21 March 2013 9:00 AM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00064309-leadimage.jpg

It’s getting close to two months since I retired from rugby league and I must admit I haven’t really missed it. I miss being around my mates every day but the physical and mental side of things is not something I miss at all.

It’s been good to wake up each morning and know that I don’t have to go to training to put my body through the torture I did for years. In all honesty, I haven’t trained once and it’s starting to show already. Eating what I like, drinking what I like, it’s been fun. I’ve been working hard but also chatting to a lot of people and having a good time.

I spoke to Steve Turner yesterday about retirement and I mentioned to him about making sure that he keeps busy to make the transition smoother. A lot of players have based their life around their weekly training schedule but once that is gone you obviously have to fill in your days. I’ve been kept very busy by the continued work with the Future Direction Network and it feels much better when it is just your mind that is fatigued rather than the physical challenge that I had week to week both training and playing.

I’ve still been keeping a close eye on the footy and especially the Bulldogs. My early thoughts are that they need to improve the ball handling coming out of our own area. The general ball control hasn’t been great and they’ve also been giving away a lot of silly penalties. Everyone can see it and I’m sure Des (Hasler) has emphasised the fact that giving away cheap penalties and cheap possession just isn’t good enough.

With the likes of Barba, Graham, Kasiano and Pritchard out I think the younger guys have really stepped up and filled the void. Josh Jackson just continues to get better and better and Marty Taupau is growing into that front row position. Dave Klemmer has impressed me and is carrying the ball strongly. He really got in there and had a crack in the pre-season and his work-ethic has got him his chance. You can’t coach work-ethic but Dave gave it his all through the summer and he is now being rewarded.
The Storm will be a tough opposition this week, as they always are. They have it all, great discipline, a will to win, they are always in the arm-wrestle and have that winning culture.
I haven’t given much thought to the Grand Final loss but to put it simply, they outplayed us in that match. They outsmarted us and worked out how we were going to play and we simply just didn’t have a plan-b. You can’t give a team like the Storm anymore possession than they deserve or you will be punished and that is what happened.

Aside from the ‘big three’ this week, I must say that Jesse Bromwich up front has been a revelation in the early part of the year. He was a stand-out in the World Club Challenge and has been a handful in the opening two rounds. There back row with the experienced Ryan Hoffman there and the youth of Tohu

Harris has also looked good. Hoffman is just one of those players who never lets anybody down. He is a big game player and continues to perform. Harris is just feeding off what the others are doing in front of him and has had a good start to his NRL career.

To see some of the great work that Corey is doing in his post-football career, visit the website for the Future Direction Network at http://www.fdn.net.au www.fdn.net.au

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news-display/Weather-the-Storm-Corey-Payne-Blog-Post/70414 
stevevw

stevevw

if we had all our players i reckon we would have given them a go and won. you got to remember having the forwards out is what is causing us the most problem. they were the main reason we went so well, that we made ground and created 2nd phase play. they broke the defensive line and drew in defenders and we made gaps for barba, inu and Morris. we have had to adjust our play to accommodate 4 new forwards with stagg also gone who did a heap of tackling. we are getting use to the new players and each game they should get better. we have made a lot of errors IE dropped balls and its hard with players that have only been there for a couple of weeks. i reckon if they fulfill the role that our injured players did we will come close to matching storm. the trouble is they keep coming at you so we have to be on the ball all the time. williams has to step up and put in a big one and if taupau and klemmer can have good games we will give them a run for their money. storms left side might be a bit weak with Junior Sa'u and Mahe Fonua both are new, so they should be sending Williams and low down that side a lot. 
annav3

annav3

[INDENT] Path to Blues' jersey strewn with obstacles for Reynolds

Date
March 20, 2013

14 reading now

Michael Chammas

Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds will need to produce two months of brilliance if he is to push Todd Carney out of the NSW No. 6 jersey.

It is understood NSW coach Laurie Daley is reluctant to disrupt the rhythm and momentum the Blues built in the halves last season unless another player makes his performance impossible to ignore.

The Carney-Mitchell Pearce combination took the Blues within a point of ending the Maroons' long-standing dominance last season, and despite pressure being applied by Josh Reynolds and South Sydney halfback Adam Reynolds, the incumbents remain the frontrunners for the job.
Josh Reynolds

Bulldog charge: Josh Reynolds, centre, has enjoyed a strong start to the year.

While the legitimacy of the annual City-Country as an Origin audition is often up for debate, this year's clash in Coffs Harbour on April 21 could be pivotal for the Origin hopes of Josh Reynolds.
Advertisement

Barring injury, he will wear the No. 6 for Brad Fittler's side and move Jarryd Hayne to fullback, but the halfback spot is uncertain. Daley has already met with Country coach Trent Barrett and will have a say in the make-up of his side.

He is expected to meet Fittler to discuss a similar proposition in the next fortnight.

One of the topics of conjecture will be whether to trial the Josh Reynolds-Pearce combination or let Pearce sit out the match to give Adam Reynolds a chance to impress alongside his namesake.

The two Reynolds have enjoyed strong starts to the year but unless there is an injury or a remarkable form streak over the next eight weeks, it will be difficult for either to knock off the incumbents for the opening game of the series at ANZ Stadium on June 5.

Bulldogs legend and former NSW halfback Steve Mortimer has backed Josh Reynolds for an Origin call-up, confident he has the wares to go head-to-head with Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston.

"I am a big fan of Josh Reynolds and from what I've seen from him, there is a definite opportunity for him to go further in the game through representative football," Mortimer said. "He is a catalyst in attack. Just like Thurston is for the Cowboys and Cronk is for the Storm, Reynolds is that catalyst for the Bulldogs. I do honestly believe with the players around him at Origin level, he'll mature into one of the key players for us in a Blues jersey.

"There aren't too many halves who are those catalysts in attack who get things happening and create something when nothing is happening. I always judged players when I played against them by how hard they were to tackle."

Reynolds will get a golden opportunity to prove himself when he goes up against Melbourne and Queensland trio Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Cronk in the grand final replay at AAMI Park on Thursday night.

Former Bulldogs halfback Brent Sherwin believes Reynolds is the future of the club and tipped him as their next captain.

"Heart takes you a long way and that's what he's got and he's got plenty of it," Sherwin said.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/path-to-blues-jersey-strewn-with-obstacles-for-reynolds-20130320-2gfss.html#ixzz2O7FAYuzX
[/INDENT] 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play St Pat's Gympie Monday week.
ALX21 - RD 21 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeStorm14 J.Turpin15 C.GaloRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.Nikorima14 W.BrimsonCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Ba...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181