The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Ennis

Hasler

Hasler

I want to have a serious discussion about Ennis, I don't care about the "c" next to his name. Would like someone to explain to me what the bulldogs "actually" benefit by having him in the side...I could go into detail about why I think he offers nothing but would like to hear from all the misguided dogs supporters who actually believe he is a first grader. 
View all 55 comments
alchemist

alchemist

back in the day, i didn't think his service from dummy half, his passing, was as crisp as it should have been 
Hasler

Hasler

I know what you're saying but I started this thread asking what his benefit to the side was, so when he rattles off a list of his deficiencies, when I have asked for positives, I see it as a victory of sorts. I swear I thought the guy was siding with me on the issue until I read that last line. 
professional

professional

Still can be at times. He threw two howlers right at the start of Game 3 2012 when Queensland were in the attacking half. He can also be guilty of overplaying his hand at times in the same way Farah does (although far less frequently). 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Smith has set the standards so high I think it has got to the point where he needs to be taken out of the equation.

Ennis is alright against most hookers in the competition for all round ability IMO, despite his weaknesses. I do think he could've been more, though. 
alchemist

alchemist

name better hookers currently in the NRL 
professional

professional

:P He was just messing with you. Getting your hopes up and them smashing them in one fell swoop. 
alchemist

alchemist

just showing it wasn't blasphemous for Dogs fans to criticise their own 
Hasler

Hasler

His service from dummy half??? OMG, it's worse than I thought. Now you're all seeing things that aren't there. See I don't make bland statements, I give examples. Where is your proof regarding this "so called" quality service from dummy half? If you can be bothered watch the last minute of the first half against the cows, watch Reynolds blowing up deluxe at him about this quality service that you're talking about. We set that wrap around play to the right, Halatau was obviously the block runner and we had them outnumbered 4-2 out wide, yet for some reason he decides to pass to the block runner (halatau) who wasn't even expecting it, he subsequently loses the ball and that was that, Reynolds then blows up at him again and continues to mouth off at him even while they're packing into the scrum. See, even his team mates are frustrated by his non existant vision and service. That forward pass he threw to tolman was an absolute howler and was thrown at a point in the game when we needed to get back into an arm wrestle with them. He is a momentum killer of the highest order, dumb play, after dumb play. Alchemist also highlighted his kicking game from dummy half and defence. What a lot of people forget about that Souths game last year where benny made that try saver on farrel was that in the lead up to the break made by burgess, Mr ennis produced a kick to inglis on fourth tackle that could only be described as deliberate and asking for trouble, I mean he kicked it straight down his throat, in the middle of the field no attempt for the sideline or anything. I mean considering the time left on the clock and the occasion a kick for touch to chew up time should have been what he was looking for. It was almost as if he was begging Inglis to go the length of the field on the return. Not only does he flirt with danger there, but two tackles later after two quick play the balls which were a direct result of his shit kick, he makes a really soft attempt at tackle on burgess, who goes through and pust farrel away.Benny saves his arse and it is never spoken about...... These examples Ive provided are not "one off's" he does these things every single game. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

see alchemist you have your very own DS :lol: 
alchemist

alchemist

that is what i meant about bad judgement... it is a serious problem with Ennis' game that he takes the wrong option

as for bad kicking, he did a similar kick with a similarly disastrous result in Origin when he ignored the halves on the open side, ran down the blind side and kicked it straight down the Qlders throat 
alchemist

alchemist

don't mind... too few Dogs fans on here at the moment 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

its not quantity its quality look at souths and broncos fans for example ;) 
Hasler

Hasler

Too easy... In order -Smith, Luke, Rein, Farah, Ballin, Hinchcliffe, Friend, De Gois, Kingston, Srama, Mcullough and Friend. ALL far better hookers than that dud at No.9 for us. Alchemist the thing is you can speculate all you like about his attacking capabilities and his defensive improvements but FACTS don't lie..........Let's start with attack NO TRY ASSISTS- since round 7 last year against the storm. NO TRIES SCORED -since round 7 2011! Can't remember the last time he broke the line or put someone through a hole for a line break?? No 40-20 since 09' I mean wtf is he there for? oh wait he's a niggler, pffft. Can you even tell me the last time his kicking game resulted in a repeat set at least for our side???? Wake up to yourselves. He looked awesome for the first 7 or 8 games of 2009, but after that he has been a complete and utter DUD on a consistant basis.........Do you really want me to talk about his DEFENCE?? or his ball security, or his lack of discipline.... 
Lewis06

Lewis06

:) 
MrChook

MrChook

Can't ever recall a hooker looking "intimidating". You were just turned on by my rugged good looks weren't you Lewie. 
professional

professional

You should try comparing him against other hookers in those areas though. I think you'll find that in terms of try assists and line break assists Ennis doesn't perform that badly. Hookers just get very few of those. Unless you're talking about Farah, Smith or Luke it is very unlikely to get to double figures in either of those areas.

As a point of reference Ennis got more TA than Nathan Friend, Ballin, Hinchcliffe, Kingston and was even with de Gois. Ennis only got 1 LBA all year but the same is true of Jake Friend, Isaac de Gois, Kevin Kingston, Matt Ballin. Nathan Friend and Mitch Rein only managed 2 and McCullough and Hinchcliffe got none during the year. 
Silverelvis69

Silverelvis69

I like him. He is a competitor, a niggler and will bend the rules slightly to get the edge.

for mind, he's running game has dissapeared since hasler has come in.
not too sure uf he is being coach differently, or protecting an injury. 
alchemist

alchemist

i'll give you Smith, Luke, Farah and possibly Ballin (who i think is underrated)... i think Ennis better than Hinchcliffe, De Gois, Srama and Kingston... to say Rein, Friend [twice] and McCullough are better is ridiculous... i don't even think Rein is the best hooker at his club 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

None of those things actually points to him being any good though.
They're just the words that people throw out when they can't find any actual specific things that he excels in. 
professional

professional

Cameron Smith, Robbie Farah, Danny Buderus, Nathan Friend, Matt Ballin and Issac Luke all ahead of Ennis. He'd be in that next stack of players and definitely within the top 10 in the NRL. 
annav3

annav3

he cant wrestle either a key attribute to a good number 9 
Hasler

Hasler

Why is it ridiculous?...give me an actual reason don't just make a statement, back it up. And please don't tell me because he has niggle in him. Rein is an absolute gun playing behind an uninspired pack, he will be a future representative player mark my words. It's also funny how you say that Rein isn't the best hooker at his club, that's exactly how I feel about Ennis. btw I meant Nathan Friend then Jake Friend. 
annav3

annav3

the rules around the ruck area seem to be cleaned up this year, i.e. there should be more room for dummy half running. Something that ennis should do more often. Isaac Luke has to be the best dummy half runner in the game...we need speedy wingers too to help out. 
Hasler

Hasler

Anna we both know that even if he did run more it wouldn't be very effective. He isn't talented enough and doesn't have the right temperament for first grade. The last time he did make a line break he couldn't believe it, he dropped the ball cold without anyone ever laying a finger on him....Jesus even when he does manage to recognise a lazy marker his reputation is at a level that the ref's will not blow their whistles because they think he is trying to get one of over on them. Pumipi starting and keating relieving him would be ideal as far as im concerned. Btw..When will the suspension on my BDP account be lifted? 
annav3

annav3

I would prefer if you stick around here and upset the opposition supporters. It is quite entertaining :)

However you seem to be behaving so I will give you another shot on the BDP.

If you post any defamatory comments again you will be history. THe BDP is a lot more scrutinised by outsiders one has to be a bit careful. 
BigDog

BigDog

Haven't had a look at the forums for a while so a bit late for the discussion but I am wondering why it has taken so long for this to be discussed. As far as I am concerned, the comments by Hasler are spot on. Ennis has been a myth since the 2009 Finals series. He showed me his true colours when he went missing in Kimmorley's absence through injury. We needed him to step up and he was nowhere. From then, I have have since been amazed how he was picked for Origin. Apart from his trademark niggle which has hurt us as much as his victims, he has a tendency to change momentum in games with stupid plays or giving away penalties at times when we have momentum (Souths and Roosters games a year or 2 ago). He should be no where near the ball on the last tackle. He is of the Danny Buderus mould and that style of hooker is near extinction. More recently in the game against Melbourne, the last play when he went himself from dummy half, there was at least 15 seconds left and we would have been better off putting it through the hands so close to the tryline. Instead he sucked up the clock with a predictable and useless play. It was the wrong option. For mine Josh Reynolds and Joel Romelo are our best options at Hooker. When Jim Dymock was coach, we were very dynamic in attack from dummy half when they interchanged together. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 21 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeStorm14 J.Turpin15 C.GaloRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.Nikorima14 W.BrimsonCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Ba...
Fromthenest - Well there you go. Apparently Wide Bay's final is being played Thursday between Norville SS of Bundy and St Pat's Gympie. I am lead to be...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181