The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Bulldogs Debate Page

jl0077

jl0077

Frank the tank just tweeted #proud2beaBulldog 1LoveI think the boys will stick together and fire up dogs mafia style.I heard bill woods on the radio and he is the mc at the clubs season launch tomorrow, he said it will obviously be difficult to lift spirits up at the event but will do his best. 
TheGodfather

TheGodfather

Is that why there's 20,000 blokes like you heading over there every month begging to do business??Plenty of cricketers getting rich there too but if you only focused on standards in slum areas like Redfern you'd probably be pretty ignorant to that?? 
BankstownBulldog

BankstownBulldog

Harlan Alaalatoa Harlan Alaalatoa ‏@harlanALAALATOA@PritchardFrank 1 life, 1 wife, 1 team, 1 dream, 1 soul, 1 goal 
froggy

froggy

What the hell does that mean? 
froggy

froggy

Geez I can't imagine Barba being out for the season. I don't know all the facts but surely this can be managed internally relatively quickly.Didn't we fly his parents down whilst the semis were on last year?Surely they are needed now. My biggest fear is that he will see returning to nth qld as his only resort. 
BankstownBulldog

BankstownBulldog

THEY'RE proudly known as the Epic Bender Crew, a tight-knit band of party-hard Gen Y mates who binge their way through most weekends.And just before Christmas last year, Ben Barba decided to join them.Barba's association with the Cronulla-based group, known locally and online as EBC, provides plenty of clues as why he could no longer be the game's clean-skinned poster boy.While a painful split with childhood sweetheart, Ainslie Currie, and problem gambling are the other significant reasons, excessive drinking and partying have conspired toward Barba's downfall.Those pastimes are also the driving force behind EBC's charter, with the group known around the Sutherland Shire for its extreme commitment to having a blast.The link to Barba appears to be Daniel Folkes, the son of former Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes. Daniel Folkes also featured on the short-lived TV show The Shire.Barba and Folkes were teammates in Canterbury's under-20s team and were photographed together in EBC-themed parties over the Christmas period.There's also a telling SMS exchange that Folkes posted on his Facebook site, in which Barba pledges to join EBC by getting a tattoo with the group's initials."I think it's safe to say you are part of the famous EBC welcome aboard," Folkes texted on December 14 last year."That's it, I'm getting the tatt," Barba replied.Shortly afterwards Folkes posted another picture, this time of a shirtless Barba getting the initials E-B-C inked on to his lower torso.A close friend of Barba last night said the superstar has toned down his partying with EBC since resuming training last month."He did spend a bit of time with those guys before and after Christmas," the friend said.There's no suggestion EBC enjoy anything more sinister than having a good time - for a long time.Furthermore, Reni Maitua and John Sutton have carved out long careers as members of the Bra Boys, an infinitely more notorious gang.And in the end, Barba will not be cured should he stop drinking or have the EBC tattoo removed.His problems extend back to the split with Currie, his childhood sweetheart from Mackay and the mother of his two baby daughters.Barba's association with EBC occurred around the same time he and Currie ended their eight-year relationship.The couple purchased their first home in Caringbah last year, but Barba didn't move out until early last week.In the first indication that his life was falling apart, Barba requested a few days away from training last week.Canterbury boss Todd Greenberg gave him the green light and was receiving daily updates about Barba's welfare from Currie."Moving out was a big thing," the friend said."Suddenly Ben was on his own and I don't think he expected it to be so hard without the kids."Friends are confident that Barba will be restored once he and Currie patch up their differences.But he also has deeper demons to confront, including a worrying gambling habit.While Greenberg dismissed suggestions that Barba had fallen into debt, Bulldogs insiders have been concerned for some time about the proportion of his salary that's frittered away through TAB terminals and poker machines."He bets on the horses," an inner-city publican said.http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/canterbury-bulldogs-star-ben-barba-goes-off-the-rails-and-joins-the-epic-bender-crew/story-e6frexnr-1226585460804 
BankstownBulldog

BankstownBulldog

Daniel Folkes weak as piss ! 
BankstownBulldog

BankstownBulldog

OWEN Craigie blew $1.5 million on the punt. Horses, greyhounds, poker machines, card games ... for more than a decade, gambling was his daily addiction.Once described by Andrew Johns as "the most naturally talented player I played with", Craigie made his first-grade debut at 16 - and played in a winning grand final for Newcastle when he was 18. But for 15 years, Craigie lived in denial.Today he works for Mission Australia as a gambling counsellor, having finally got on top of his addiction two years ago.No one outside the Bulldogs knows exactly what Ben Barba's problems are - and, perhaps more importantly, how deep they go.While Bulldogs boss Todd Greenberg would not reveal the reasons behind the club's decision to stand Barba down indefinitely for behavioural issues, News Limited understands his problems are associated with gambling, alcohol and anger.Asked yesterday if there was one message he would want to get through to Barba right now, Craigie issued a message of hope."It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you get back up," he said."This is just a hurdle in his life. Everyone has hurdles. This is Ben's. He will come back, better and stronger I hope. But it is going to take time. And that is what everyone has to understand in all this. People need to respect that."If gambling is an issue, no one knows better than Craigie what it is going to take to overcome it.And Craigie believes the real reason could go much deeper than dealing with his recent fame or the split from his childhood sweetheart Ainslie Currie, the mother of his two children."People see gambling and alcohol as the surface problems - but you have to ask what is causing this," Craigie said."You can say too much money and too much time but I always ask: has this person been affected in some other way? Was there some trauma at some other time that has never been addressed?"That is why it is really important to make a connection with the person, not the problem, because when you make the connection with the person you will understand why they are gambling, or why they are drinking."Plenty of NRL stars have admitted to gambling problems, including some of the biggest and most respected - from Nathan Hindmarsh to Steve Price. Hindmarsh wrote in his autobiography that he lost more than $200,000 on poker machines during a six-year battle."If I went to the pub, I'd spend $1000, easy," he said. "As my salary increased, so did my habit. I'd max out the ATM card, then wait until midnight when the account ticked over to a new daily allowance, and I'd do it all over again trying to win back all the money I'd lost."Sometimes I'd blow up to $4000 a week ... all up, I blew a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It was such a waste."Whatever Barba has been hiding, he hid well. Only last month Wayne Bennett was so impressed with Barba's attitude at an emerging Queensland Origin camp that he went out of his way to praise the young star for his conduct.Barba told Bennett at the time that it was all about his two kids, he just wanted to make them proud.Which was the point Craigie wanted to emphasise last night. "We all make mistakes. But Ben Barba belongs on a football field."http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/former-league-star-owen-craigie-who-gambled-away-15m-urges-patience-with-ben-barba/story-e6frexnr-1226585473081 
BankstownBulldog

BankstownBulldog

Players pledge to stand by troubled teammateCANTERBURY players have rallied around Ben Barba after his off-field problems came to a head last weekend when the NRL's 2012 player of the year agreed to stand down from playing indefinitely.Barba and the Bulldogs also received support from players and officials at other clubs, with most applauding chief executive Todd Greenberg and coach Des Hasler for putting the welfare of the 23-year-old ahead of the team's aspirations.Greenberg addressed the players on Monday before going public with the news, but many within the club already knew that Barba was dealing with off-field issues related to his separation from long-time partner Ainslie Currie.Fairfax Media has been told that Greenberg, Canterbury chairman Ray Dib and director Arthur Coorey have been talking with Barba for some time about seeking help for gambling and alcohol problems.AdvertisementBulldogs football manager Alan Thompson said the players had vowed to stand by Barba, whose loss is a massive blow to their hopes of going one better than last year's grand final loss to Melbourne.''The guys here are all mates, and they all know that 'but for the grace of God go I' so it could be any of them,'' Thompson said.''They like Benny, he is a good kid so they all hope he can get well soon because they are a tight unit. Most of these blokes went to the grand final together last year and they are solid. They feel as he does, and they don't want any of their group to feel bad.''You can see they are all just very upset for him and in their own way they will reach out and I'm sure Benny will too and they will help him get through it.''Former Canberra back Drury Low is favourite to wear Barba's No.1 jersey in the club's opening round clash with North Queensland at ANZ Stadium after deputising for him in trials.Steve Turner and Mitch Brown are other options Hasler may consider but Low is understood to have been training at **** during the off-season.Bookmakers have eased Canterbury's premiership odds since Barba's suspension and Thompson said it was uncertain when he would return to playing.''This young fellow has got to get himself right before he can worry about playing football and the great thing about Todd and Des is that they are good family men and they understand that,'' he said.Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/players-pledge-to-stand-by-troubled-teammate-20130225-2f23v.html#ixzz2LurcFnTt 
Nancy

Nancy

The hardest thing to do is admit you have a problem and ask for help. Ben Barba has taken that 1st step and should be congratulated.On reading back yesterdays posts, some of the things speculated about are truly wrong. If you do not know anything why post so much innuendo when you haven't got a clue? People blame the media for getting the facts wrong and rightly so and then go and do the exact same thing.The Club have done the right thing. It is up to Barba to learn how to manage his life so he can be happy and accept what challenges come from being in the spotlight. 
Belcobulldog

Belcobulldog

This is why we are called the family club. 
garyb23

garyb23

Its bruz languagethere really cool 
Belcobulldog

Belcobulldog

Agree 100% Nancy. 
clem2

clem2

To Helen our Senior Mod, Happy Birthday hope you have a great day and night. 
ARWONDOG

ARWONDOG

Sky News and Sky Sports line devoted a lot of time to this story last night.One thing they all said was Todd and the Club have handled it very well.The journo covering the story for Sky, said that Benny told Club Officials he didn't want to play footy anymore.This is emotional, he is in a Dark place at present poor kid, in my opinion it will take firstly a reconcilliation with his wife and kids (yes Slinky i agree that wife of his kids stuff pisses me off) She is his WIFE defacto or not has full bloody rights.If that can be repaired first and he can spend some time playing with his little kids he will see the answers for himself.No he does not need the Mackay connections down here, NO, he needs someone to comfort him for a while going fishing or something, get out of clubs and Pubs, and get away from the goodtime Charlies,----anyway that's my view, having had a battle with the demon Alcohol many years ago myself.---thank god for a wonderful bloke from AA" that showed up at my house one night from nowhere,------i hope someone shows up to help Benny 
Anathema

Anathema

The only thing that leaves me uneasy is the connection to the Mundine camp. For such deep rooted issues, they have surfaced in such a relatively short period of time.I can see this going down the SBW. Quadr Cooper path and all of a sudden Barba wants out of the Bulldogs. 
ARWONDOG

ARWONDOG

So "Drury Lowe" maybe the man at the back,hmmmmm i can't coment i know zero about him.But someone mentioned he has speed, well that's a start, NO TURTLES, A WASTE OF TIME, we will go nowhere with little turner or The Ferret at the back leave them on the wings, please.btw can he catch a high ball and can he tackle,???Make no mistake folks we lose a lot without Benny.Now the T-Rex wrecking ball factor is critical up front, we can still score plenting off him , with INU and Reynolds ----oh dear back to the drawing board,---But fear not Ian , Josh, me and the rest of the nuffies be there in full cry,---c'mon the dogs show em what we made of 
ARWONDOG

ARWONDOG

Yes Mundine is like "STD" easy to catch hard to cure,He is a very bad influence, but at the end of the day, the Club does what it can and moves on.I also have serious doubts about his future, we just wait and see, in the meantime find another NO 1, 
OldDog

OldDog

Hopefully that was a one off thing Wes..and was just co-incidental ..a photo opportunity...I did see Drury Low play in a NSW Cup semi and he did leap high over opposition to snatch a ball and score a try but Mitch Brown for mine...just ask any Tigers fan and they are just as livid at Tigers letting him go as Bryce Gibbs etc. 
ARWONDOG

ARWONDOG

one more coment , i have nothing against Steve Mortimer, but i don't think he is what's needed.Benny needs someone who has been in his postion, to comfort him, show him the way out, maybe someone from outside the Club altogether, they need to think outside the Box here.But Turvey NO, not the right person in my opinion.Maybe even Nathan Hindmarsh, who almost ruined his life on bloody evil pokies, maybe the AFL guy, maybe Preston Campbell could help,just my opion, 
OldDog

OldDog

Wes...I don't know if Benny would need someone with whom he could compare notes. I thought Terry Lamb could be a good mentor. 
IanC

IanC

Woke up to find out the Barba disaster was not just a bad dream. Back to sleep for me! 
TheGodfather

TheGodfather

Sounds like Owen Craigie is the best person he can talk too.Owen should be lauded for turning his life around.Good on him. 
DogFacedBoy

DogFacedBoy

I believe Drury Low was Monty Pythons best album 
Zef.

Zef.

One thing I did note out of Todds press conference was that he said that Ben needed professional help and the club was going to make sure he gets it.I don't think Todd was referring to anyone here.So why don't we let the professional have a crack at it first before we all start second guessing them with the free advice. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168