The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Bulldogs Debate Page

daniel3

daniel3

Anthony Mundine ‏@Anthony_MundineWanna say lot of peeps deal with problems differently! All I wanna see is @BenBarba03 back killing it! bra **** all haterz & thosetalkinshitAnthony Mundine ‏@Anthony_MundineNow just let the man get through his problems & comeback to what he does best #runshit keep your head up my man! Stay strong ✊Right into his corner now. Leae him alone Choc. 
View all 20661 comments
steveswr

steveswr

It works mate The fat one balances the two skinny ones! I would be the first to say we need a few tweaks but in saying that I usually rebut those who seem to think all we need is two 6'7" wingers with hands like Mark Waugh who can give Usain Bolt a run for his money. Some talk on here is ludicrous.....play M'Bye and Hodkinson in the starting line up and Reynolds off the bench. I quite like the idea of Hodkinson at lock....and again the usual suspects who want the above wingers generally say we win in spite of Hodkinson and lose because of him....in the old days that is what was said about Garry Hughes. I don't think Eastwood is a real lock and that would make a stronger team. Did you see the first half of the Penrith Manly game? did you see who Penrith were running at all the time....Daley Cherry-Evans....again the above mentioned posters only look at one side of his game...he is a schite defender. The opposition doesn't run at Hodkinson.

Would also say it was IanC who suggested Hodkinson as a lock a year or two ago and whilst I thought it a fair idea I think it is a better one now. Going into the finals it may be a move Des will even consider this year. 
Zef.

Zef.

I don't care about 6'7 wingers with hands like Mark Waugh, but we do need penetration out of our back 3 more than anything else me thinks. At present they simply offer nothing. Even as metre eaters on a kick return they're barely adequate. That corner post rule certainly made no difference to us.

I'm willing to give our halves being of three Hodgko, Reynolds and Mbye the benefit of the doubt for next season because I think if they've got a backline where they can create something than create they just might, nothing to work with at present.

Gone are the days when wingers were blokes who hung out with the backs. These days they are your match winners, the rock stars, the sting in the tail. Put journeymen at the back and no matter who're your halves and centres, you're backline is pedestrian. 
Zef.

Zef.

I think we're so far away yet so close too.

This is where we're so close - Got the forwards to wins multiple comps for years to come no doubt. Hooker we'll see how Lichea goes but I'm optimistic based on reports and the little I've seen of him.

Halves as mentioned above I'd like to give them a chance, I'd also like DCE too but...

Centres are very solid with the best young centre in the game in Timmy leading the way and getting better every game - Steve Matai with creativity. Who knows how far he will go.

And then.... this is where we're so far away. Just need some strike. 
hounddog

hounddog

@steveswr At full strength the opposition will run and Reynolds particularly if his shoulder is not 100% or he is tired towards the end of the game. A Reynolds/Jackson combo is fine .... I don't like Reynolds/T-Rex.
Reynolds is more of a threat in attack than Hodko, but Hodko is a rock solid defender.
I like the idea of "no weak link" in defense, particularly at the start of the game, but you need to offer enough in attack.
In our team there are only 3 players who are good defenders that also offer a lot in attack, Lafai, Morris & Jackson.
While DCE may be a weak defender, he offers plenty in attack, I certainly prefer him to Soward, Benji and Sandow who are even worse defenders.
I also think DCE's defense is on par with Reynolds .,... particularly a half-busted Reynolds. 
Marki_V1

Marki_V1

had a conversation with a Bulldog supporter yesterday on the benefit of getting someone like B Stewart. Her opinion was that he is on old legs....

My opinion is rather than sign him for say 3 seasons at 500K per season, sign him for only 2 at 650K (1.3M instead of 1.5M). The benefit is that you plug your major deficiency for 2 years without the threat of having his old legs come into play in the 3rd year. You also immediately (behind the scenes) think about a succession plan with a youngster that is showing huge potential (Tedesco, Moylan, etc) and go after them hard in a couple of years time.

Yes you pay slightly overs for the 2 years, but it is one of the most important positions on the field and if you aren't willing to take a chance with one of your spine positions, you may as well pack up and leave.

Sitting back waiting to unearth the next big thing might make your books look good once in a decade or so, but if you don't compliment it with world class established players you simply wont cut the mustard.

Im a fan of the Hodko to lock position, simply because I think MBye has done enough to keep one of the halves positions (more for his kicking than anything else). It will also add more balance to this forward heavy team.

The key thing here is that the club HAS to look out for a decent half that comes on the market. Their blinded philosophy of relying on Hodko/Reynolds especially after Keating/Romelo/Barba left was plain stupid. Never seen a club put all their eggs in one basket like this except for last years St George team.

Should never happen again. 
hounddog

hounddog

@Zef ... IMO opinion it does not take much to tip the balance either way.
This year we are about 5% off, if we were at full strength and in good form we would only be 1-2% off.
With our team adding a bit more attack, Lichaa, hopefully a new fullback, Rona will definitely help.
Once we have a better balance and more variety players like Hodko will look better as there is more threat inside/outside them and the job is hopefully half done before they get the ball.
Lichaa will add a lot to our attack, I'm not sure about his defense, but you can reasonably assume his defense is not as good as Ennis.
I saw a bit of McInally .. he has the size but like all big blokes he can occasionally be clumsy .. it might take a bit of work to get him up to NRL standard. 
Slinky

Slinky

Too many long posts. Just bring in Usain Bolt and just sit back and relax and watch the premierships roll in.

Hell be down the other end celebrating a try he just scored by the time Ennis bends over to grab the football too pass on to him 80m back.

Time travel speeds. 
Zef.

Zef.

I agree with you HD, we are sooooooooooo close, 5% might be about right. But that 5% is so crippling it may as well be 100%. 
hounddog

hounddog

@Zef point taken .. the main thing is to keep heading in the right direction .. I think Des is doing that ... but it does not happen as quickly as we would all like.
BTW a Des coached Manly got beaten by Penrith something like 71-12 in 2004, a few years later Des had turned them into genuine contenders. 
bradsm

bradsm

@IanC - Chelsea looking good early mate. Liverpool very good win against Totenham at White Hart Lane. Moreno was great. Super Mario played well missed a couple of chances but worked hard. 
Axe1

Axe1

So, who do we want to play in the semis? I ideally would like to play the Panthers or Cowboys down in Sydney. I know we beat them twice this year (by the skin of our teeth), but I would hate to play the Warriors. Even in Sydney I don't think we could beat them. 
steveswr

steveswr

Wouldn't the best answer be Manly ...hoping by a miracle we can come fourth?? I would love that to be the case. As I have said several times I don't think they are genuine contenders. I reckon even in our current state we could beat them. 
Marki_V1

Marki_V1

yes, agree with Steve. With results going our way (see my post from last night) we could still stumble into 4th and play Manly in week 1.
Either way....can someone confirm what venues will be used for the final series?
I would assume SFS, ANZ, Suncorp, AAMI but are Brookvale, Centrebet, 1300Smiles and Mt Smart permitted or not? 
Marki_V1

Marki_V1

Just read on SMH Sport section that Adam Reynolds is accepting his dangerous throw charge (on MBye) while Souths will fight Isaac Luke's charge for kicking out on Mick Ennis.

Something tells me a deal has already been done with the judiciary, where by Souths will suggest they are accepting punishment for 1 incident but should be given leniency on the other.
Reynolds throw was rather dangerous and deserved more than 1 week, but I could almost bet my house on how this transpires.....

Who knows, maybe Channel 9 might even chime in..... 
steveswr

steveswr

Marki, it would be a great scenario....4th beat Manly...get a week off...then have Stanley & Browne back....and have to play a team that had the living hell belted out them by the Rorters (who will lose against the Rabbitos in week 1) but just managed to win due Warrea-Hragreaves getting sent off for a spear tackle on the referee...well maybe that is a bit extreme. That team in the process lose 3 players and the Dogs make it to the GF against all odds. 
Axe1

Axe1

To finish 4th we would need the Broncs to beat Melbourne in Melbourne 
Axe1

Axe1

Also Manly to beat the Cows up in Nth QLD. Cows have been sublime in North Qld this year. Anything can happen, but I doubt it will. 
steveswr

steveswr

Are yes ...highly unlikely but who knows..... 
Marki_V1

Marki_V1

More importantly.....Warriors need to beat Penrith by 30 and WE must beat Titans by 30....

Knowing us, all the other teams will play their part, yet WE with everything to play for, will find ourselves down by 12 against the Titans and we will be revising our hopes on just winning by a field goal....we seem to be good at that! 
Axe1

Axe1

I have no doubt if anyone else apart from MAYBE Bellamy/Bennett was coaching our side, we would be in the bottom 3 of the comp. Our spine is arguably the slowest, unimaginative and uncreative in all of rugby league. Even the Raiders spine is more threatening than ours. Its just that they have a truly rubbish coach.
The only way we can win games is via 16-10 , 18-12 type score lines. This is very very difficult to maintain over the year as they are very physically gruesome and take a toll.
That is why we got rolled by teams like the Tigers, we thought we could play touch football with them and we got trounced.
Teams like Roosters, Souths and Manly can be down a little bit, but because they have a lot of talent in there side, they are good enough to overcome this lack of talent. We have to be on our game every week just to compete.
Unless we get creativity, we wont be threatening the top sides (I would love to be wrong).
Why did we get rid of Inu? He is the only one in the team that has X factor. We never utilised him properly. He is tremendous in the air but we never kicked bombs to him...

OldDogFan

OldDogFan

Steve, I think you have me wrong. I love this page , best of all the name calling the insults and the commraderie all add to the spice of this page. It is entertaining reading and would hate for this to change. I too can give as good as I cop and sometimes give a little moral support for all the cockeyed thought processes that come up in here. What a boring site it would be if we all agreed on one another. Now on the subject of someone in here saying we have an outdated structure. The Dogs have a good blend, granted our spine does lack firepower but it's not the team that is wrong, it's the NRL trying to form the game into something that it's not. If they want a game that contains blistering pace for the full 80 minutes maybe they should start a touch footy comp and leave the real rugby league to those that know how the game works! 
OldDogFan

OldDogFan

The game against Souffs. I think Des got it right. We play hard in the first half get some points on the opposition and force them into a grind. We really had that going nicely but I believe that the men in pink forced the game to alter by giving an unfair advantage to them. They only won due to a try off a forward pass that altered the outcome. 
seaeagles

seaeagles

old dog fan, both souths tries were dodgy,the forward pass & kearys pass off the ground that was very close to forward as well! des was right-very,very poor! Russell was sighted delivering money in brown paper bags into the referees rooms. refs-are very,very rich! don't we hate em! 
OldDogFan

OldDogFan

I really have a problem with this years final series. I believe that any team in the top eight could win it but it depends on certain factors being processed. The so called X factor will not come from the players themselves. In reality the referees are there to enforce the rules so that no one team gets an unfair advantage, the problem is that they are interpreting the rules to suit the governing body not the game itself. The winning side could possibly be the one that gets the decisions that suit their style of play. I hope that I am wrong and it's just a case of paranoia on my part because I would hate to see the GF tarnished by a poor refereeing decision. 
seaeagles

seaeagles

old dog fan,honestly mate,every referee has differing interpretations of even the most basic of rules.souths were offside on the opening 3 tackles of every set & have been getting the refs.each week that suit them so they can get away with it! if you watch a lot of the games as I do,certain refs.in those games get both sides back a large 10! this is why hasler & toovey blow-up for,absolutely no consistency whatsoever! any result is possible,makes you wonder mate! 
Marki_V1

Marki_V1

seaeagles, let me clarify.
Some refs get teams back 10m on the dot and sustain that separation as long as the defensive team doesn't move before the ball clears the ruck.

Others, take a team back 11 or 12m because they see those teams encroaching before the ball is played let alone cleared the ruck.

My pet hate in rugby league as when teams defending against us, rush up on us as soon as Ennis stands up with the ball. They are either encroaching illegally (offside) or we are extremely slow out of dummy half.

I don't care which technique the refs use. The rules state they shouldn't encroach until the ball is played. They should police it accordingly.

PS, by calling "out" in a scrum, the refs take ownership of the ball clearing the scrum. Sometimes teams try to keep the ball at the legs of the lock or 2nd rowers to try to lure a breakage penalty, but the refs overzealously call out and then cant penalise the team who is in the face of the first receiver. They should change the ruling and STFU and let the halfback of the opposition call his teammates to break. That way, the lock can take the ball forward and create an overlap. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181