The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Dugan

SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

In trouble again, this time for drinking whilst injured. He claims on Twitter that the issues lie deeper. Expected to be stood down by the club later today, possibly along with Blake Ferguson. 
View all 108 comments
professional

professional

Nah, Canberra didn't keep Dugan around as charity or out of the goodness of their heart. He was a superstar and there would have been dozens of other clubs lining up to sign him as a junior if he were available. Canberra signed him because he was a good player and benefitted the team.

I think Dugan should have fulfilled the terms of his contract (and not repeatedly broken team rules) but cancelling his contract is his punishment. If he wants to sign for another club then let him. This stuff about "learning his lesson" is nonsense. It is a spiteful response from fans and it ignores the fact that in any other context it would illegal to prevent someone from taking on a new job. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Agree with this, if any club cares to, they can give the raiders a call and ask for a reference.

Same as any other employer

If they don't like what they hear, don't sign him. 
BuckinBronco

BuckinBronco

Sorry mate, that just makes no sense. I can understand an emotional response, but eventually that must subside and a rational response has to kick in. I know where you are coming from, it is frustrating seeing Gagai going on to better things after such an investment from the Broncos, but this is an employer/employee relationship in effect. There is no logical reason why he shouldn't be able to sign for any club prepared to take on the risk.

Getting him away from Canberra may well be what he needs. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

Let's just wait and see what the NRL thinks. If he is able to sign, what lesson is he learning? Stuff up and go earn $600k a year somewhere else? 
bandwagon

bandwagon

If he fails to get his shit together it will cost him shit loads.

That is without question, any club that signs him will have done so fore warned, and you would expect behavioural conditions in his contract where ever he signs. 
professional

professional

Why is it about learning a lesson though? You aren't his mother. If he wants to screw up his life then let him. It isn't your job or the NRL's job to run around trying to teach his ethics or make him a better person by scolding him like a naughty schoolboy.

If he has done something illegal or something really bad then maybe the NRL could deregister him; otherwise, there are no grounds for preventing him from signing elsewhere. Regardless of what the rumoured figures are I'm certain that this stunt has cost Dugan a fair bit of money (and dignity) - that should be punishment enough IMO. 
warriorpoet

warriorpoet

Broncos end Dugan talks after online abuse

The Brisbane Broncos have ceased negotiations with former Canberra star Josh Dugan after the troubled fullback was involved in another social media spat in which he suggested a Raiders supporter should "end themselves".
Dugan was sacked by the Raiders earlier this month for repeated code of conduct breaches that peaked with the 22-year-old posting a picture of himself on photo-sharing website Instagram, drinking on a rooftop and giving the finger to the camera.
Instagram was again his medium of choice on Saturday night when Dugan angrily responded to taunts from Raiders fans who remain upset about his exit from the club.
The gifted fullback unleashed a verbal tirade that included an invitation for a face-to-face confrontation with one of his antagonists.
Dugan was reportedly close to signing a deal with the Broncos but after the latest social media imbroglio the club issued a statement on Sunday afternoon saying they had pulled out of talks with his manager Paul Sutton.
"We will not be making any attempt to register a contract for Josh Dugan with the NRL," said Broncos chief executive Paul White.
"While there were some negotiations, they are now over.
"In light of some fresh allegations of inappropriate behaviour, the Broncos have decided not to take the matter any further."
Responding to one user who suggested the Raiders were better off now because the replacement fullback, Reece Robinson, was doing a good job, Dugan launched an profanity-laden rant (with expletives removed below).
"I'd hate to be ya nuffie," Dugan said.
"At least my dog doesn't speak up like you ya loud mouth ... who are ya by the way? I could never play another game of NRL and I've still accomplished more than you.
"Haha righto Marky Mark: go get another Raiders Tattoo then end yourself.
"Your mrs is hot too by the way haha you obviously don't read the news more the fool you haha your a joke.
"All my tats put together are better than your one rubbish one plus your bad head.
"Should call you don bradman ya batting well above average with her.
"Send her my way ill show her the time of her life."
On Sunday the one-time NSW State of Origin representative attempted to calm the situation by posting an apology.
"(There are) 2 sides to every story and only the bad side of my story has been told over the last few weeks," Dugan wrote.
"Yes I stuffed up and yes I'm paying my price. But people go on and on about bullying when I am constantly being harassed for simply putting a photo up.
"I apologize (sic) to those who I had bad words with but I am a normal person like anyone else.
"Media can write what they want but (they) have not spoken to me personally or seen the abuse I have copped.
"Life goes on and I'm trying to move forward with my life and career."
However the apology didn't hit the mark with his main antagonist, who sent another vile message.
That prompted Dugan to suggest a meet up to sort out their problems in person.
"I was actually going to apologize to you but now there's no point," Dugan said.
"I'll be in Canberra next weekend if you want words."

this guy seems like a complete moron, he needs to get as far away from league as possible... we don't need him and after this i don't think the nrl (or any club) would even want him... suggesting suicide and threatening to fight a FAN is not the look league wants.
sure the nrl has forgiven carney, bird, mason, seymour, b.stewart, thurston, inglis, myles, kelly, lui etc but there issues were away from there clubs and the nrl... the original dugan drinking thing would fall into the same category as those guys, however this new crap should be a permanent ban.
he is not the player anyone would want to be a role model for kids, and not a person who i would want representing the league. The game is bigger than any one player, doesn't matter how good of a player he is, it's time to say goodbye. From his actions it seems like thats the outcome he wants. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

Sign him at your peril. The man can't control himself at the slightest criticism. 
professional

professional

Hmmm

1. The NRL has forgiven Brett Stewart? I think it should be the other way around and I think Brett Stewart is still waiting for an appropriate apology for his public lynching.

2. A Twitter spat falls into the same category as what Bird, Inglis and Lui did? I guess morality is relative but I think violent assault and domestic abuse is distinctly worse than some drunken slanging match with a guy on the internet. 
warriorpoet

warriorpoet

i was meaning worse as in it was directed towards fans. as for the domestic violence situation, i strongly believe that any player found guilty should be banned for life.

as for stewart the nrl has nothing to apologise for... he made a mistake, proven guilty or not, and him and his brother have sulked for years over it... he was the one who put himself in a situation for allegations to occur.
as for whether he did it or not, why pay money to her family if nothing happened... i've been through a similar event when i was accused of something i didn't do, challenged it in court and was proven not to have a case to answer (my situation was pretty minor by comparison though, as it wasn't sexual, violent or anything similar) 
bandwagon

bandwagon

So the similarity was you were guilty and got off?

Or was it that because you were accused of something everyone assumed you guilty? 
Stolzy

Stolzy

i think he can definitely earn a living, and if copping all of this abuse that he and his mate blake ferguson whinge about, go get a normal job as a 22 year old, i guarentee they wont be on $650,000 a year, or even $200,000 a year..and most work places, i know mine definitely does, has policies in place for what we post on twitter and facebook and if we are found to be in breach of this our employment can be terminated. these 2 give rugby league players a bad name 
woodies

woodies

This whole thing is sad.
We are talking about a young man here, an immature young man. You have to ask if the punishment really fits the crime.
Hope he's got some good people around him to support hime through this. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

He broke the rules of his club and disrespected his coach and teammates.
They fired him because of that.

I think the punishment certainly fits the crime. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I don't care how young he is (and he's not that young)....he knew he was doing the wrong thing.
I did some silly stuff when I was in my early 20's, but never anything that would jeapordise my job - and I was earning a pittance compared to Dugan (I still am really). 
Stolzy

Stolzy

i think what is said is that some of these young men think that just because they can play football they are better then everyone else, i dont see the similarities between dugan and gaigai.....gaigai broke some team rules but they were extremely minor compared to dugan, dont forget dugan was in trouble over the summer for what he and ferguson got up to at a concert...wasnt it they were spitting on people or some juvenile rubbish...if he wants to act like a 13 year old....he should be treated like one....or worse...go visit some people in hospitals that cant even walk let alone use his god given skills to play football. 
woodies

woodies

To have his second chance taken away by Brisbane is a bit unfortunate. And yes it is his own fault and yes it is sad. I feel taking away all chances at redemption, as many are calling for will only have one outcome which is a tragedy for someone with so much potential. 
Morkel

Morkel

And it's the 'better than everyone else' attitude which is clearly coming to the surface, especially with these latest rants. Hopefully the Broncos' telling him to jump makes him realise that he's not above rules, but I doubt it.

With him being sacked, does that means he has no wage until he's signed by another club? If so, the longer this draws out the better. It's in the Dragon's hands now it would seem, though I've heard it mentioned that playing in Europe for big dollars and zero responsibility or humility would suit him. 
Stolzy

Stolzy

i think the raider's paid him out for this year....so if he got $600k or somewhere in that vacinity, that would cover quite a few breezers 
Morkel

Morkel

Yet no worse than plenty of others face daily, except the punk did it to himself. 
Morkel

Morkel

Still makes me laugh. Such a wannabe hard arse, tatts, attitude and gestures. Sucking down semi-alcoholic cordial. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

All class, ****in awesome. 
WestEndAthletics

WestEndAthletics

Phhhhtttttt.......Gen Z's - "I do it my way, that's the way I roll". AND then the whinge like sh1t, when social norms tell them to pull their heads in. Grow a set of kahunas, suck it up, change the behaviours that are causing you grief and get on with what talents God gave you.......you spoilt little turd. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

Gen Y ** 
WestEndAthletics

WestEndAthletics

Sorry....Baby Boomer mistake! See that.....I can own it!!!! 
professional

professional

Unless I'm very much mistaken he did not pay a cent to the girl's family. He challenged the allegation in court and was acquitted. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181