The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Broncos Signings

Hancock02

Hancock02

If Lockyer wants to leave at the end of this year and not 09 to join Wigan Bruno wouldn't stand in his way on the count of long service and loyalty. 
Kool87

Kool87

Why on Earth not, unless they dont plan to retain him?

Just doesnt make sense to me, what is Bruno doing? 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Hannant might have said wait till mid year, or wait till I have all the offers on the table I have no idea. 
ian_nelson

ian_nelson

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/broncos-too-pro-to-crack-henjak/20080502-2a9v.html

good news hopefully the sign sooner rather than later. 
robinson.will

robinson.will

that is fair enough to, Lockyer would be missed but he deserves a pay day, i's assume that once he was back in Brisbane he would be fairly involved with the club in a coaching point of a view, much like Webcke and Alf. think about the money we would have under the cap if Lockyer and Tunza go at the end of this year. 
robinson.will

robinson.will

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/wigan-want-lockys-signature/2008/05/02/1209235154351.html Wigan gun for Locky's signature

Glenn Jackson | May 3, 2008

BRISBANE chief executive Bruno Cullen has revealed he is unlikely to stand in the way of Darren Lockyer moving to England a year before his contract expires, just as the star five-eighth emerged as target of Wigan.
The English Super League side are believed to be eyeing off Lockyer as a straight replacement for Trent Barrett, but Lockyer said last night he intended to play out his contract with the Broncos.
In the event of an approach, Cullen admitted any request for a release by Lockyer would be looked upon kindly because of his long and faithful service.
As the player transfer market intensified further yesterday, Canberra prop Michael Weyman is set to become Wayne Bennett's first signing for St George Illawarra after being offered a $200,000-a-year deal - a move that could spell the end for Jason Ryles.
Brisbane's attitude to Lockyer will have major repercussions for the Broncos, who now may be forced to play their first year under a coach other than Bennett without one of their most famous players.
The Herald revealed last month that up to six Super League clubs had targeted Lockyer's services for 2010, after his contract expires at the end of next season, however, the speculation about a contract with Wigan represents the first time he has been linked to playing in England next season.
"It's real tricky with someone like 'Locky'," Cullen said. "You'd hate to let them go, but at the end of the day, if a player like him who's given such good service … if there's something that's fantastic for him for the next two, three or four years, you'd have to consider it.
"I'd hate that to sound like I'm suggesting Locky should do it, but he's been here close to 15 years. The last thing [Bennett's replacement Ivan] Henjak would need is for Locky to be taking off, but in saying that, he's only got a year to go, and everyone moves on.
"He's contracted to us, but in saying that, if he came to us and said, 'Look at this,' and it absolutely blows us out of the water, I'm sure we wouldn't stand in his way if it meant he would be setting up his financial future. Out of respect to Locky, we'd talk to him about what was on the table."
While Lockyer, who just turned 31, said he would play out his current deal, he admitted the prospect of a stint in England appealed to him.
"I have a contract to the end of '09 and I will see that out," he said. "I have thought about it [England], but there's a lot of water to go under the bridge before then." 
Hancock02

Hancock02

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,23639465-5003409,00.html

MICHAEL Ennis's manager has implored the Broncos to step up their pursuit of the in-form hooker or risk losing him to an NRL rival.
Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen sounded a warning to the club's off-contract stars on Thursday when he told the likes of Ennis, Ben Hannant and Darius Boyd it was time to commit to the club.
However Ennis's agent George Mimis revealed the Broncos had yet to open talks with the Newcastle junior.
In the best form of his career, Ennis has an option in his contract to stay in Brisbane but fears he will be squeezed out as the club fights to stay under the salary cap.
Ennis, who has been linked to a move to the Dragons under Wayne Bennett, plans to make a decision in the next fortnight.
Mimis said: "If the guy is happy there, I would have thought it would have made sense for the club to sign Michael long term. But the club does have some cap issues and in the coming weeks we'll sit down and decide whether to take up the option or look elsewhere.
"He's really happy in Brisbane and settled there so he's very keen to continue on in Brisbane. But there's some thought Brisbane's front office might not be looking at him long term, so I guess that's something Michael has to weigh up.
"If you asked me a week ago, I would have said Michael would stay – but the tone coming out of the Broncos might be a bit different from their perspective. We haven't really looked at Michael's options outside of the Broncos."
Ennis denied he was set to follow Bennett to the Dragons next year.
"I haven't spoken to any other clubs. I have an option with the Broncos and I'd like to stay here, but you never know what's going to happen," he said.
"Whether this is my last year I don't know, but I am happy at the Broncos.
"I'm really happy with my form. I'm finally getting some consistent footy and it's been great to focus on playing one position."
Incoming Broncos coach Ivan Henjak admitted the club faced an uphill battle retaining Ennis and his fellow off-contract group.
"I'm not confident of keeping anyone to be honest," he said.
"There's some big offers out there at the moment. We obviously want to keep all our good players but sometimes it's impossible with the money they get offered.
"They will probably have to accept a bit less to stay here but I'm hoping the culture of the place and being in a good team will sway things our way." 
nopatience

nopatience

SMH:

Ennis for the exit

The Bulldogs will shortly announce that they have signed Broncos hooker Michael Ennis - and take it as a sure sign that Brisbane are feeling vice-like pressure when it comes to their groaning salary cap. They had an option in their favour to keep Ennis after this year but had no choice but to let him go. The Doggies will be Ennis's fourth club in six seasons. 
ian_nelson

ian_nelson

good luck to him if true, they would be throwing alot of money at him. 
uqlangel

uqlangel

Although Ennis has been in career best form we do have PJ and Ennis has been very injury prone in his time at the Broncos.

Do we have any young hookers playing NYC or Qld cup that could play off the bench in 09. 
robinson.will

robinson.will

yeah while i'm not rapped in letting him go as he has been broncos best for awhile now he does have the right to get as much money as he can. the player exodus is only just beginning and trust me it is a long way from over. 
robinson.will

robinson.will

FTR PJ marsh is alot more injury prone then Ennis. 
ian_nelson

ian_nelson

Yeah we have a young hooker named Butterfield who has been in great form, has even scored 6 tries in 6 games or something. 
uqlangel

uqlangel

Great so we keep PJ and give Butterfield his chance in 09. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Butterfield is on the bench for U20's getting a bit ahead of yourself. 
robinson.will

robinson.will

He only just recently got relegated to the bench.

Why are Broncos all of a sudden having so much trouble with the cap? As bad as it sounds it might be time to give lockyer a friendly push to make his money in England so we can retain some stars 
uqlangel

uqlangel

Lockyer should not be given a push he is arguably the clubs greatest ever player so he should go when he wants to go.

Who is ahead of Butterfield if he has been relegated. 
uqlangel

uqlangel

With all this talk about number 9's of the future.

Does anyone know where Lacey and Te Reo ended up, 2 good players who made one very bad mistake. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Mick Roberts is still a gun! 
babyshaq_09

babyshaq_09

is this signing even true? 
jazman84

jazman84

I haven't heard or read anything official regarding Ennis. 
crogger1984

crogger1984

I'm thinking the same thing. I haven't read it anywhere or heard it on T.V either. The source on the post says SMH. I went there & couldn't find anything on it. I even looked up the Bulldogs website & there was nothing. I think it's just a rumour at this stage. 
crogger1984

crogger1984

Thanks for the link. I wasn't doubting you had read it, I just couldn't find it. I still think it's rumour though. People keep going on about how we're struggling under the cap. We released 5 internationals last year & Tunza is retiring at the end of this year. There must be some money left to play with.
I also keep reading the Doggies are after Kimmorley too so I guess we'll have to wait & see. 
nopatience

nopatience

Bruno said last week for players to hurry up and make up their minds if they want to be a bronco or not and then on the weekend Ennis' mananger came out and said Brisbane hadnt offered Ennis a new deal...... seems hes on the outer to me, whether thats by choice or not is another thing....... 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181