The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Players in Trouble/Under Pressure

HarrySack

HarrySack

As per the title. Which players do you think are feeling the heat atm?

Hunt
Norman
Gill
The Hoff

Hunt, Norman and Hoff will all be feeling it due to Prince IMO. Gill, started the season very good last year but after Origin turned into a cream puff. Don't get me started on the shoulder charges....suffering, IMO, from Sandow-itis. Who else? I know I'm missing some but I'm at work, so time is short. :lol: 
View all 34 comments
saints

saints

I'd heard a rumour Gillette might be off. Can this be confirmed ? 
HarrySack

HarrySack

I can actually see them moving Reed into the 2nd row actually. Who drops off to make way for him though? I think the guys under the most pressure are Hunt and Norman and to a lesser extent, Hoffman. All due to the Prince signing.

6. Wallace
7. Prince

..is what the halves combo will be. I have a horrible feeling that they're going to try and fit all of the above players in though. Leave Hunt where he is, Norman to FB, Hoffman to wing etc etc which I think will be a mistake. I'm hoping The Hoff secures the FB spot in the trials because, like Senor says, I think his game will improve markedly with Prince in the halves. It's no fluke that one of his better games for the year was for NZ. Assuming that happens, what do you do with Norman and Hunt? Especially with Baptiste apparently impressing.

Scott Anderson is always a danger too. Putting pressure on the entire forward pack.. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

who is the player that tries shoulder charges :lol: 
MrChook

MrChook

Which one?
Ben Teo - now plays for the Dark Side
Matt Gillett - was a good player till Mick Weyman knocked the form right outta him. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

it was Gillett I was thinking about 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Read my posts properly damnit!!! He's suffering from Sandow-itis 
Morkel

Morkel

Norman & hunt to q cup. Give them a year and tell them that if they perform consistently then they'll be looked after and will get their chance in due time. Baptiste bench hooker, it's his preferred position as opposed to Hunt who's a half.

I read that the better of the 20's players last year were put in the q cup instead of the NYC, which at least shows that they've learned their lesson. Maranta and Whitchurch filled the gaps like seasoned professionals, whereas Gagai, Copley, Beale looked a bit over-rawed in contrast. I think those 3 came straight from the 20s, not 100% sure though. 
Morkel

Morkel

Whitchurch and Copley are both centres, I'd go Whitchurch as he looked a cut above at left centre in q cup last year. If Reed or Hodges moves that is. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Agreed with Norman and Hunt to Q. I just can't see them doing it though. l think one will have to, but I can't see them sending both.

I'm keen to see Copley and Maranta in action again as well. I heard Whitchurch hurt himself? 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Where is Hodges moving to ;) 
MrChook

MrChook

Possibly back to fullback but I doubt that will actually happen. 
LeagueGuru

LeagueGuru

If Gillett misses tackles in the middle of the ruck he is hardly going to make them one on one in the centres. 
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Well, he was being discussed at fullback, but I don't see the immediate need to take him out of the centre position. 
soup

soup

Thaiday has to be in trouble with his pathetic 2012 form. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Not really. Runs on the board, injured, past form etc...and oh yeah, he's the captain. 
professional

professional

:lol: Yeah, Thaiday may have played really badly last year but it was bad by his standards, not bad enough to worry about being dropped. Those performances would be easily enough to remain in the NRL. 
soup

soup

Sorry but I thought some under 7's dropped less ball than him. IMO was not even QLD cup form. Have nothing against him but his form last year was pathetic. 
Lewis06

Lewis06

I agree. I think he is a bit better than QLD cup but his last couple of seasons have not been that great, although he did play well in Origin, which he usually doesn't.

Mixed bag for him the last couple of years, will be interesting to see how he goes this year. I still don't think he is suited to the Captains role. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

The obvious choice......Peter Wallace.

He has to know that Brisbane coaching staff are concerned by the lack of creativity he offers in attack......Prince coming back to the club spells that out loud and clear for him.

I think management are starting to realise that they have made a huge mistake in re-signing him. His only out is, if he performs better at 5/8......the argument will be that 5/8 and half are these days so interchangeable that it won't really matter. I don't necessarily agree .....I've thought for a while that maybe Wallace would have a bit more time playing one more out. Still......he's not my first choice. I'd much rather see Norman at 6 then Wallace, but I think for round one Wallace will be there.

So may Norman ....Griffin might say for the early rounds "here it is boys... as the incumbents, the jerseys are yours to lose". Prince may have to bide his time. I hope we haven't bought him to do that.

It'll be interesting to see how Brisbane handle the Norman/Parra talk. I guess if they are thinking long term that Norman is the preferred option instead of Wallace .....then we'll see that reflected in weather or not they can come to terms.

If Norman does stay and if the rumours are true that we're still in the running for Thurston and we get him (to replace Prince when he retires).......I wouldn't be surprised if we play him back in the number 7 and Norman at 5/8

That will leave Wallace looking for another club. ........:D 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Agreed. He's been very up and down the last few seasons and IMO, Parker should be captain. Obviously it was a sweetener when he negotiated his latest contract. I heard form someone that a bunch of the boys went and did some sort of leadership course? Thaiday, Parker, Glenn, Wallace and someone else. Anyone confirm? 
HarrySack

HarrySack

:lol: Wallace isn't terrible Fourex. He just isn't a dominant playmaker. I honestly think he'll thrive with Prince although Norman will be snapping at his heels. Re the Eels talk: If we lose anyone, I think it'll be Hunt. Not to the Eels though. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

I agree here....I thought last year there were rumours that he might be Titans bound? Disappointing but ......an acceptable loss if one if forced to choose between losing Norman or Hunt.

I rather lose Wallace and keep Hunt

but management already screwed the pooch on that one....... :( 
Tsunami2010

Tsunami2010

Mr Fourex, i am standing and clapping. Finally another poster who agrees regarding Peter Wallace. I applaude you. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Thaiday, Parker, Hodges, Glenn, McCullough, Hook, Gee, Lockyer and White go every month. 
Morkel

Morkel

Thaiday was pretty bad last year, but in 2011 he was awesome. Didn't he get the back-rower of the year award? His form that year set him up for the captaincy. Pretty sure Hodges was the extra man in the leadership course. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Yeah, what I was getting at. Bad 2012, great 2011 although I remember thinking he didn't deserve the award that year. Can't remember why. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
zahidkhan06 - http://www.allhereget.com/?p=102Watch all kinds of Sports like Rugby, NCAA, Soccer, NFL, CFL, AFL, MLS, MLB, NBA, NHL, Boxing , Tennis, F...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181