The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Broncos Signings

Ged

Ged

The thing is, i actually rate boyd alot more highly when he's playing fullback. Therefore i think he'll take the penrith deal as he likes plating there and is clearly better there. Michaels is an interesting one. I'd assume he's ****ed about having to move from the centres (i think the broncos will play folau in the centres. you don't spend that much on a winger). Therefore i wouldn't be surprised to see him go to canterbury on the tits. Moon is an interesting one. He knows he's not far off regular first grade especially with carroll retiring and perhaps a few forwards leaving. Plus Lockyer most likely retiring in the next 2 years. Does he see his 2 favoured positions opening up and stay, or try to get a regular spot for next season? 
jazman84

jazman84

I would like to see them all to stay... which isn't too far fetched considering Locky is retireing, which leaves a position and a lot of money spare.

Falou is just a jumper and a barger, Michaels runs great lines and can defend, which is why I'd put him in the centres and Falou outside him... It would make them both play better, cause whenever Michales takes a run he has about 2-4 blokes on him. However he has either Boyd or Kemp outside him... not the most intimidating blokes to have in the corner of your eye in case of a pass. Where is Falou was outside him the defence would be in 2 minds ALL the time which is better for both players.

I reckon, after Locky's retirement, we could look like this as a top 17.

1. Boyd/Kemp - While Boyd is a bit more reliable back there... Kemp has the potential to be a faster Slater at FB.. remember Manly last season?

2. Falou

3. Michaels

4. Hodges (vc) - I didnt like the way Hodges was with the Ref last week when called for that tackle, very unprofessional... Locky would never act like that to the ref.

5. Boyd/Kemp/Robinson - See above, and Robbo still needs to impress a bit more to hold the wing next season.

6. Hunt

7. Wallace

8. Hannant

9. Ennis

10. Thaiday/Clinton - Clinton needs to lift his game, or he will lose his starting spot to Thaiday.

11. Stagg

12. Parker (c) - Runs hard, tackles well, kicks goals... he'll offset your emissions and boot up your server... Great ambassador for the club.

13. Moon - Really just needs to give given a shot at the starting side. He did alright at centre, and made 30 tackles in a half in the 1st game against Melbourne at number 7 last year.

Interchange:
14. Marsh
15. Sims
16. Thaiday/Clinton
17. Taylor/Kenny/Eastwood

This way we have Ball players, size, youth, strength and speed all over the park as well as on the bench. 
Kool87

Kool87

From what I've seen of Alex Glenn I reckon he might not be too far out of the picture come 2009-10 either 
crogger1984

crogger1984

With all the blokes off contract, we will obviously retain a fair amount of them. Many are non-origin players so their value won't increase dramatically.

I don't see Thaiday going anywhere & the Knights just signed De Goiss so I would imagine Ennis's only option other than us is the Dragons. I think he will stay now that he has a starting spot & his form is picking up.

Hannant, Michaels & Boyd I think will be the priority signings. Hannant won't leave QLD so it's us or the Titans. I think we're a fair chance of keeping all 3, but we have to snare at least 2 of them.

1 thing that will play into our favour is Ivan Henjak being named coach. The players will be comfortable with him whereas there is always a fear of player unrest with a coach brought in from elsewhere (Panthers & Elliot).

It will be interesting times ahead by I think we'll retain a large amount of the off contract guys. 
crogger1984

crogger1984

Don't know anything about him. What's his story? 
nopatience

nopatience

under 20's lock/centre captain........... 
robinson.will

robinson.will

Yow Yeh and Butterfeild are scoring tries like like they are going out of fashion in NYC as well so you would think within 2 or 3 years they are in with a shot of cracking the NRL side and that doesn't include Tupou and Beale so there is defiantly young talent at the Broncos. 
Alec

Alec

I'd love to keep Boyd, Hannant, Ennis and Michaels. I think Stagg has already signed or all but signed with us again. Seriously, this ****ing Folau thing is just terrible. I would have been much happier if we didn't sign him and kept all of our players. 
uqlangel

uqlangel

Falou is a great signing his future in the game is enormous.

Hodges may be the best right centre in the game now but Falou will take that mantle from him one day. And wont it be great to have the best right centre replaced with the new best right centre when he retires. 
Kool87

Kool87

Hence my thinking that Boyd and Michaels (whilst I'd really love to keep them!) are probably a little more expendable in the long term than Ben Hannant or even Mick Ennis 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Michaels is staying, will take up the option in his favour for next year. 
robinson.will

robinson.will

I assume that is because he doesn't know how well his knee will pull up? do you know exactly what the option enclosed? 
Hancock02

Hancock02

He had scans yesterday and will have an op this week.

Not playing centre was the only reason he was thinking about leaving. He is happy now to go back to the wing if he has to.

Last year of his contract was just an option in his favour and he is going to take it up. 
crogger1984

crogger1984

Excellent news. Glad to see him staying.

Also Hanc, what's your opinion on Moon & Boyd. My take on it is Moon is a very gifted player who hasn't had too many opportunities for 1 reason or another. I think when Lockyer goes, he would be an ideal replacement at 5/8. He appears to have the skills & showcased some of them on Friday.

As for Boyd, I think he has played wonderfully this year, but seems to go even better at Fullback. I thought it was all class when he signalled for Kemp to turn to his inside to deliver the final pass for that try. The only problem is we have Hunt at fullback as well. Could it be in the cards for Hunt to be moved to a different position down the track if Boyd stays? If so, where?

At least these are good headaches for the Broncos to have. Much better than a situation of having no depth. Our future is looking good. 
ian_nelson

ian_nelson

if this s true ( haven't read it myself, don't by the paper ) then really all we need is to have boyd or kemp stay and our backline looks sweet. It's the forward pack i'm worried about with Hannant, Ennis, Thaiday and Stagg still off contract. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

Stagg isn't off contract as such, has an option in his favour as well he is yet to decide on. 
Kool87

Kool87

Yeah likewise 
Kool87

Kool87

His chances of big dollars elsewhere probably got dashed with is knee going, so staying is probably the safe option for him TBH

I was resolved to him going actually, so I am suprised

I really hope Boyd cna be convinced to stay. though I think Hunt is going to have to move long term for this to work or to be of any great value to us

Its a bit out there, but does anybody else think Hunt could make an excellent Lock Forward with a bit of work? (I just dont see him as a long term 5/8 or Locky replacement)

Moon probably needs to really show something over the next 12 months, other than that the Broncos might need to get onthe phone to Greg Inglis 
crogger1984

crogger1984

I think Moon would be an ideal replacement for Lockyer upon returement. Not sure about Hunt. I do believe that Boyd plays his best footy at fullback. You could probably play Hunt at Lock, he could probably also play in the centres. Who knows what the long term plan might be. It may depend on whether Boyd re-sins or not. 
uqlangel

uqlangel

I agree Boyd looks better at the Back then anywhere else but why would you move Hunt one of the games best fullbacks just to fit him in.

If he wants to stay he would need to realise that he would spend more time on the wing then anywhere else.

And money not spent on him could be spent on other young speedsters like Kemp and Robinson. 
jazman84

jazman84

As I said in post #27.

Hunt will probably take the number 6.
With Boyd at the back, Hodges and Michaels in the centres, Falou and either Kemp or Robbo on the wings.

Moon Has a chance to get the number 13 with Carroll's retirement looming. 
uqlangel

uqlangel

I would of thought Eastwood or Stagg were more then likely in the 13. 
Kool87

Kool87

Traditionally speaking yes, but a few sides are going for a wide running, ballplaying lock (Greg Bird etc) who can take on the forwards up the middle, but keep pace with the backs as well, and Hunt is one of the few players I would have thought could physically do this sort of job 
Clintos

Clintos

Moon will go elsewhere. 
parkbw00

parkbw00

Kooley i totally agree with you about Hunt moving to lock. I have always thought if he was to move, it would be lock. IMO he would be a sensation there if he could up with the defence 

Recent Rugby League Posts

buckmajor - Thanks Steve, forgot to check back here lol.
Bull66 - Anyone going to have a crack at naming the Qld 16 team ?
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Results Broncos: J.Nikorima 3 tries, 5 goals
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168