Interchange
14 Ben Hunt
15 Ben Hannant
16 Mitchell Dodds
17 David Stagg
18 Scott Anderson 
professional

professional

Stagg off the bench is silly. Why have Gillett starting and Stagg on the bench? 
MrChook

MrChook

Official Manly team list:

1 Brett Stewart
2 Jorge Taufua
3 Jamie Lyon (c)
4 Steve Matai
5 David Williams
6 Kieran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Brenton Lawrence
9 Matt Ballin
10 Brent Kite
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Justin Horo
13 Jamie Buhrer

Interchange
14 Ritchie Fa'aoso
15 Joe Galuvao
16 David Gower
17 Jesse Sene-Lefao
18 Peter Hiku
19 George Rose 
grobbo73

grobbo73

Let's just see how they go first and if they go ordinary then you have every right to be critical. What aspect of the development system is flawed, examples? I think you may see an improvement in years to come in terms of development. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Yep yep yep. Would love to see this:

8.McGuire
9.McCullough
10.Hannant
11.Glenn
12.Parker
13.Stagg

14.?
15.Gillett
16.Thaiday
17.Dodds

Shamelessly stolen from another site. Thaiday doing a Kidley is what sells it for me :lol:

Regarding Reed too, I think if Kahu begins to impress, I think we'll see Reed moved to the 2nd row. Unless he gets back to 2011 form. It's in his future either way, but I can see it happening this year. 
Dogga

Dogga

Gillett has been playing well in trials 
professional

professional

It has nothing to do with playing well though. It makes no sense to put an impact player like Gillett in the starting side and then put a defensive workhorse like Stagg on the bench. It is completely ass backwards. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Plagiarism :lol: 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Are you expecting royalties :lol: 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I agree that Stagg doesn't really add much from where he is but I think it's more about Gillett becoming more than an "impact" player...otherwise they are going to lose him like Teo. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Valid point. Having it the way we've suggested would be better though. 
professional

professional

I've been saying ass backwards for years. MF can go **** himself. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Nahh ...... You put your strongest team on the paddock first. Hardly a unique concept.

Gillett has said he wants to be in the run on side and from his pre-season form he deserves a shot at it. Stagg was bought IMO to fill the void on the Brisbane bench, not to be in the starting side.

I don't mind the run on side other than if any of the back row were to be shifted to prop, I think it should have been Parker and not Thaiday.

I have no problem with Hannant being on the bench. I reckon he's lost a bit of his aggression and has for a while now been submitting to tackles way to easy. He needs to get a bit of mongrel back into his game.

I'm still not that enthused to see Wallace at half. If he had to be there it should have been in the 6. I'd rather Prince get his hands on the ball more than Peter Wallace. I can see Wallace giving Prince the same shitty slow service that he gave Norman last year. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

I have it on good authority that he does actually... 
professional

professional

Neither is the concept of team balance or operating a bench properly.

I'm going to put down a sneaky fiver on you being Ricky Stuart in disguise. 
professional

professional

The issue with that is that it doesn't really change anything other than the number of Parker's back. Parker has been playing the role of a frontrower (although making 40 tackles in the process) for a while. If you shift Parker to prop then you really need someone to take Parker's old role. Otherwise, you're just changing the team structure from having three middle-third players to two, rather than solving the issue of who plays prop.

Besides, I don't entirely see how you can advocate dropping Hannant to the bench while arguing that you should start your strongest team. You might think Hannant has regressed but he is still as good as Parker as a prop and much better than Thaiday. If you want your strongest team to start then it really should be:

8. Hannant
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Nahhh.....I don't believe that Hannant makes the current strongest team at the minute. Having Parker out there instead, gives more creativity to our front row attack and allows Gillett to add more edge to the back. Brisbane front rowers creating 2nd phase play to large fast backrowers running off them hasn't been seen for some time. Hannant IMO has become very one dimensional.

Of course none of that matters as Griffin has chosen Thaiday in the front row. Which I think is a mistake. Thaiday is at his best when running wide. Thaiday slogging it up the middle and being frustrated into trying to pop low percentage passes is something I'm not looking forward to.

Parker on the other hand has mastered the art of the hit and spin quite successfully. 
professional

professional

There is no reason why he shouldn't start at prop but I think you're ignoring the fact that it still leaves you short a front rower.

Most teams play with three middle third forwards these days and the Broncos are no exception. In the last few years it was usually two props plus Parker at lock. Now if you move Parker into the front row you just end up with a prop, Parker and Glenn at lock. Glenn/Thaiday/Gillett (whoever takes the #13 jersey) isn't going to play as a front rower so you still need another tight running forward to take hit-ups otherwise your pack could end up being too light.

Or do you just think it is unnecessary to have a third player on the field taking hit-ups the way Parker has in the past? 
Morkel

Morkel

Just jumping in on the Stagg debate. I too have always been of the opinion that Stagg should only play if he is there for long minutes, which suits his workhorse, tireless (but zero impact) style. HOWEVER... if the ruck penalties continue the way that they went in the trials, then the last 15-20 minutes of each half is going to be a darting fest for the small, quick, elusive players to take advantage of the fast play-the-balls and opened ruck area. Who better than Stagg to play for those collective 30 - 40 minutes, knowing that he'll be around every sneaky buggers' ankles. Lord knows we've looked pretty shaky for a while in those periods. 
professional

professional

[QUOTE=Mr Fourex;1488936]I think Alex Glenn could handle a more traditional attacking lock role quite well, which by removing Parkers style of lock/front rower, could find it's one of the things Brisbane's attack is lacking.....another faster back rower running wide off the edge of the ruck.[/quote]

Hmmm, ok I missed this on the first go. You would prefer to get rid of the frontrower style of lock and go for an edge backrower like Glenn instead. That answers my previous question, although I obviously don't agree with the strategy.

I think your props will struggle without a lock helping out in a similar role, especially with your lack of depth in the front row. And I also don't think bringing someone like Glenn into lock would work. I've rarely seen a backrow of three edge backrowers work well together; in fact, I can't really think of team in the NRL who really operates like that these days. Having Gillett, Thaiday and Glenn all in the backrow would just get seriously muddled. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Not totally unnecessary but I think we need to start strategizing towards a more attacking format. 
professional

professional

I'd just be inclined to back your current players during that period late in each half. Around the ruck you already have Parker and McCullough who are both very good defenders. I don't think bringing Stagg on to replace them around the ruck would improve the defence that much.

It is also worth remembering that the Broncos are one of the fittest teams in the competition and spend a huge amount of time working on their fitness. One of the advantages of that is that they should be able to keep up the quality of the defence throughout the game without tiring significantly. If the Broncos are still getting sloppy enough near the ends of each half that they need a defensive ring-in like Stagg, then I think someone should take a serious look at why they spend so much time in the gym because it isn't time used efficiently.

Rely on Parker and McCullough to keep things tight and then bring on a fresh set of legs like Gillett or Baptiste who can expose the opposition. 
professional

professional

Fair enough, I obviously don't agree entirely but I don't think there is much point arguing over team structure.

Manly have used a similar set-up in the past with Watmough, Williams and Stewart all playing in the backrow. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

I'd argue that Manly with a Williams, Watmong and Stewart combo could be considered as such........

edit: beat me to it with the manly comparison. :P 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Hannant to develop an epic offload this season.

Also only just noticed G Stewart is out. I raise our chances slightly, but I still believe we'll be beaten. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - In my opinion, players listed above would be worthy of selection to come up against the Knights dominated NSW team. Good luck to all tea...
boaa - Depending on finals performance Hudson may force tatipata or Allan out. Bench could be peacock sula sioasa Wilshire and noema
buckmajor - Thanks Steve, forgot to check back here lol.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Results Broncos: J.Nikorima 3 tries, 5 goals
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168